Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2020, 01:30 PM

Default Does anyone in Calgary own an ARGO?

Curious if anyone has one. I am wondering if it would work for checking ice conditions. Driving around looking for holes in lake ice. Driving over the hole area To test for thickness etc.

Wondering about skill level to drive. Maintenance etc. Is there something better?

Thinking 4 wheel each side is probably good enough. Track on.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-28-2020, 02:12 PM

Meh, Argo is old already. If you want the ultimate machine - get SHERP!
Old 09-28-2020, 03:12 PM

Default Argo...think twice

Not tough to drive...pull left lever to turn left, right to turn right, twist throttle to speed up. Maintenance is another thing...perhaps the guys that build NASA rockets or God himself could keep one of these things running but that is about it. Even the new ones can be problematic, the older ones are impossible (though a good way to get a lot of exercise walking, carrying parts).

I know a few folks that have used these machines and have broken thru ice, since the machine is front heavy, it cannot pull itself back onto good ice going forward (if you find it). If you try to leave the machine you'll be walking across ice that has just shattered...

I'd just wait til it's thick enough and let others test it out.

The Sherp does look interesting though.
Zeke
Old 09-28-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post

The Sherp does look interesting though.
I saw the search and rescue Sherp in Slave Lake. It is AWESOME!
Old 09-28-2020, 03:46 PM

A person can buy a new Argo without tracks for 25k while a new sherp will cost 147k. If a person maintains an Argo how they are supposed to be, they will last a long time. My friend is currently thinking about buying a sherp as a rental/personal machine and was told by the salesman that anyone who runs one needs a couple of hours training first. They can be destroyed in four hours if the guy who is running it is an idiot. To the OP, as previously mentioned, an Argo is not a good machine for testing ice.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:12 PM

Probably the safest method to check the ice would be by walking on it and testing the ice thickness and quality by using a auger or a ice chisel but I am sure that you have already been doing that for a long time.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:34 PM

I’ve owned 3 Argos and I wouldn’t use them for checking ice thickness. I’ve broken through thin ice before and it couldn’t get back out on its own. Luckily I could throw a anchor hooked to the winch to get out. Wouldn’t help you on a lake though. They are also very high maintenance so if you own one you better be mechanically inclined or have lots of money.

As for the Sherp, I’ve been out in two of them. They will go anywhere but the ride is brutal. Skid steer, so very herky-jerky. Plus it’s a manual so you have gas, brake and clutch pedals, all while working the stick steering. As for maintenance on them, it’s much the same as a Argo, just 10x the price on parts...

Rough Riders up in Fort Mac have a fleet of them but there are always a few broke down waiting on parts to show up. Oh, and those parts come from Russia so good luck...
Old 09-28-2020, 07:45 PM

Then may be a smaller hovercraft? Those can go pretty much anywhere!
Old 09-28-2020, 08:06 PM

So here is a scenario.

You have a small lake with a few springs that periodically flow during winter. Ice can be 8-10 inch thick however a hole could form 1-30 feet across.

Why would an ARGO not work to more efficiently drive around the lake in a grid pattern. If a funny ice area is scene just drive over it with an ARGO to test.

Sales guy said it would work. Just have to be careful you are not over loaded and should you drop into the water one doesn’t fall out of the machine.

Need awareness buy the premise seems safer and faster to cover the lake area as needed..

Thoughts?

Argo video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e-W1j8gvN5s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dHW_ArBP1CU

Looks like they can blow through 4 feet of snow.

I suspect it would be used for 90 hours a year max.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-28-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
So here is a scenario.

You have a small lake with a few springs that periodically flow during winter. Ice can be 8-10 inch thick however a hole could form 1-30 feet across.

Why would an ARGO not work to more efficiently drive around the lake in a grid pattern. If a funny ice area is scene just drive over it with an ARGO to test.

Sales guy said it would work. Just have to be careful you are not over loaded and should you drop into the water one doesn’t fall out of the machine.

Need awareness buy the premise seems safer and faster to cover the lake area as needed..

Problem is getting it back out of the water hole it drops into.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Problem is getting it back out of the water hole it drops into.
I am wondering about that. An experienced user should know if you break through in just a small hole, it seems it should be easy to get back out. If the ice is 8-10 inch around a small thin ice area it seems like no problem. It appears the big problem is if there is a large area and the ice keeps breaking.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:37 PM

Once you fall through the ice there is no getting out (don't ask me how I know) without a lot of work or a solid point to connect a winch to. I have seen some tracks online that seem to work to pull you out of water and onto the ice but they are pretty pricey.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I’ve owned 3 Argos and I wouldn’t use them for checking ice thickness. I’ve broken through thin ice before and it couldn’t get back out on its own. Luckily I could throw a anchor hooked to the winch to get out. Wouldn’t help you on a lake though. They are also very high maintenance so if you own one you better be mechanically inclined or have lots of money.

As for the Sherp, I’ve been out in two of them. They will go anywhere but the ride is brutal. Skid steer, so very herky-jerky. Plus it’s a manual so you have gas, brake and clutch pedals, all while working the stick steering. As for maintenance on them, it’s much the same as a Argo, just 10x the price on parts...

Rough Riders up in Fort Mac have a fleet of them but there are always a few broke down waiting on parts to show up. Oh, and those parts come from Russia so good luck...
So if the ice is 8-10 inch thick and you are in a 4X4 Argo, would you not be able to get out of a small area soft spot versus thin ice on a whole lake? ARGO guy said it would work fine in this situation so long as not overloaded.

There is a video showing using the winch and another auger hole to pull out of a larger area.

Seems like it is easier to back up out of a hole versus going forward. What is your experience?
Old 09-28-2020, 08:56 PM

Lots of videos with them stuck in water after falling through.

Thing with an argo, save the hours on the machine for places you need it and get a sxs for places you dont.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:06 PM

Walking around looking for spots <2" of ice seems a hell of a lot safer than potentially getting trapped underneath the argo in an argo sized hole in the ice. Also the argo's gonna punch through ice that'd be thicker than you can punch up from under if you do get trapped.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:07 PM

I have a 4x4 and getting out of a soft spot would likely be ok if it isn't too deep. But if there is a lip on the edge of the ice as you enter the soft spot then that is where the issue is. If the Argo drops into water or even enough water/slush to start to float the Argo and take the weight off the tires you are stuck. I hear tracks solve some of this problem but I don't have tracks so can't speak for them. For me I have been stuck in slush and water more than once. Won't do it again.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:

Well, if the sales guys says it would work...lol.

Like I posted earlier, I’ve done it. A small hole isn’t the problem, a hole the whole machine falls through is. One the Argo is in the water it can’t climb back onto the ice. Heck, if the machine is in just water they have a hard time climbing out on a steep bank even without ice or snow. So now you have a choice. Wait for someone to rescue you or try to climb out onto thin ice yourself.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Well, if the sales guys says it would work...lol.

Like I posted earlier, I’ve done it. A small hole isn’t the problem, a hole the whole machine falls through is. One the Argo is in the water it can’t climb back onto the ice. Heck, if the machine is in just water they have a hard time climbing out on a steep bank even without ice or snow. So now you have a choice. Wait for someone to rescue you or try to climb out onto thin ice yourself.
It it model dependent?

Like this would be the worse

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dHW_ArBP1CU

Worse case scenario. Have thin ice area 30 feet diameter surrounded by ice that is 8, 10, 12 inches thick to climb back up on. Next scenario a 4 foot round hole with thick ice around it.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:51 PM

Made it look easy getting out of the hole.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4yYUM4XkQdo
Old 09-28-2020, 10:53 PM

This guy is tearing up the ice

Old 09-29-2020, 02:14 AM

Quote:
This guy is tearing up the ice

So you ask a question and then won't believe what guys that own and run them tell you. If you want to believe youtube and argue with first hand knowledge go ahead. Just for the record, I agree that getting an Argo out after breaking through is not an easy job and you will likely get very wet doing it. My suggestion, go rent an Argo, drive it into a hole off the ice, video tape recovery, then come back again and tell/show us just how wrong we are.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Curious if anyone has one. I am wondering if it would work for checking ice conditions. Driving around looking for holes in lake ice. Driving over the hole area To test for thickness etc.

Wondering about skill level to drive. Maintenance etc. Is there something better?

Thinking 4 wheel each side is probably good enough. Track on.
https://cnargo.com/ i believe that he rents them here
Old 09-29-2020, 06:26 AM

getting out could be an issue

As far as Argos go, there isnt much I cant fix/replace/maintain on them. The older ones are in constant need of maintenance, the newer are less, but just a bit more complicated

An anchor point or an ice auger you dont really care about is always good to have.....

I found paddle tires made a big difference for the conditions I drive in (crossing lakes, fishing, and most muskeg areas

If you have an old auger that works with you, or a chain/hook assembly, you should have little issues checking thin ice areas

If you do break thru, likely there will be quite a wobble with the machine. If you are slow going, you likely wont take on much water and the wobble wont throw you out.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
So you ask a question and then won't believe what guys that own and run them tell you. If you want to believe youtube and argue with first hand knowledge go ahead. Just for the record, I agree that getting an Argo out after breaking through is not an easy job and you will likely get very wet doing it. My suggestion, go rent an Argo, drive it into a hole off the ice, video tape recovery, then come back again and tell/show us just how wrong we are.

My thoughts exactly, but it sounds like Sundance has himself convinced it’s the way to go.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
It it model dependent?
In water bigger is better. While the Argo 6x6 machines can get you around just fine they are a bit sketchy in water because they just don’t float as much and with the motor in the front they float real nose heavy. The 8x8 machines are a lot better if you are going in the water.

If you are looking at a new 8x8 Argo I’d go Mudd-Ox instead. The lower end Vengeance model is superior to a Argo in every way. The T-20 transmission has been around for decades and is bomb-proof. Still chain drive and the motor is mounted mid-machine. 1-1/2” axles, automatic oilers, etc... The Vengeance model is priced the same as a loaded Argo too.

https://www.muddox.net/mudd-ox-vengeance/

You could still have a tough time getting out onto the ice though if conditions are just right.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:49 AM

Checking ice thickness with an Argo. No thanks. Been there done that lots. Use them for work. Jump in one in the water and then you will understand.

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 09-29-2020, 11:14 AM

they are money pits i would stay clear . Every time they go out when they come back repairs and maintenance 2500 buck or more
Old 09-29-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Actually, what folks are saying is registering and altering my opinion...however I am trying to gauge is it comparing apples to apples in what I am trying to understand.

It may not be clear to some...but the intention would be to be using it to spot check for holes wherein the ice is a safe depth but random small soft areas may be present. I heard Chestermere has used an ARGO in the past...trying to find out for what purpose in the winter.

I am not advocating driving around on a thin ice lake situation.

On YouTube it is clear that situation, user, Argo type, ice thickness etc can really make a huge difference.

One of the thoughts was to rent one to try.

Forgive me if I canvass for opinions but trust me when I say, those received already are valuable and help.

Cheers

Sun
Old 09-29-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
https://cnargo.com/ i believe that he rents them here
He’s retired and now out of the business. Closest is now Red Deer.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
they are money pits i would stay clear . Every time they go out when they come back repairs and maintenance 2500 buck or more
That is something I have read a lot and definitely a consideration.