Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertacoyotecaller View Post
Checking ice thickness with an Argo. No thanks. Been there done that lots. Use them for work. Jump in one in the water and then you will understand.
As far as I have seen and read...if the Argo noses down evenly into the water off the ice...getting out can be easier but a winch may be needed.

If the Argo slides sideways into the water...if the water comes over the side...it fills with water and sinks.

The feedback I have received this far has tended to follow my concerns with no one lauding an opposite view.

Usually you get a few that love something... it is curious.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-29-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
As far as I have seen and read...if the Argo noses down evenly into the water off the ice...getting out can be easier but a winch may be needed.

If the Argo slides sideways into the water...if the water comes over the side...it fills with water and sinks.

The feedback I have received this far has tended to follow my concerns with no one lauding an opposite view.

Usually you get a few that love something... it is curious.

I like Argos, the places they will go is amazing and they are way cheaper than the next option that remotely approaches what they can do. The maintenance costs and claims are often over stated and the claim of $2,500 a year is nonsense. If you are the least bit handy it won't cost you much to keep it up and the newer ones take far less than the older ones. As long as you keep stuff adjusted you won't replace many parts unless you are putting on a LOT of miles.

That said, I still think it is a really bad idea to use one for what you are talking about. Even if you have to drive to Red Deer and back to rent one, it is well worth doing before dropping +30,000 on an 8 wheeler to try it out. Air boat or the right hoover craft would be a far better idea in my books. That way you can stand in it to drill the holes to check ice thickness and if you hit a wet or thin spot no problem.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:55 AM

We own a 1997 Argo

We run it often and hard

Have put less than 1000$ into parts and or maintenance costs.

They are great , get a good winch and away you go.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I like Argos, the places they will go is amazing and they are way cheaper than the next option that remotely approaches what they can do. The maintenance costs and claims are often over stated and the claim of $2,500 a year is nonsense. If you are the least bit handy it won't cost you much to keep it up and the newer ones take far less than the older ones. As long as you keep stuff adjusted you won't replace many parts unless you are putting on a LOT of miles.

That said, I still think it is a really bad idea to use one for what you are talking about. Even if you have to drive to Red Deer and back to rent one, it is well worth doing before dropping +30,000 on an 8 wheeler to try it out. Air boat or the right hoover craft would be a far better idea in my books. That way you can stand in it to drill the holes to check ice thickness and if you hit a wet or thin spot no problem.
the argos we have are used for work they avenger pro xt 8x8 and they are not much better they the old one to many moving parts
Old 09-29-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Even if the lake has 10 inches of ice and you are just running a circuit to check for any soft spots that will likely average 4 foot diameter?

It could take 2 people 3 hours in deep snow to get around that could take an Argo 30 min and one guy.

I was thinking a floating skidoo would be great but no such thing.

In a nutshell and in a perfect world I want something one person can drive around a lake with thick ice looking for the occasional spring and a thin ice area.

Most springs are visible. A few maybe not depending upon snow cover and degree of ice erosion.

So safety of the person surveying is paramount followed by efficiency in time it takes to do a check.

An Argo seemed great as they can

Travel through deep snow
Travel over ice
Are “amphibious”
Are easy to operate.
In theory can get out of the hole if fallen through.

As the ice around would be thick, I am thinking it could climb back out. If a winch is needed could winch via the auger hole method.

The hold we deal with have a very sharp edge to them. So in a 4 foot diameter hole...the ice thickness 6 feet from Center could be 20 inch.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-29-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweb View Post
We own a 1997 Argo

We run it often and hard

Have put less than 1000$ into parts and or maintenance costs.

They are great , get a good winch and away you go.
Ever break through the ice in a lake/pond and needed to get out? How did it go?
Old 09-29-2020, 12:31 PM

How about this. I broke the ice one time. Second Argo pulled me out. Went back to shop and they drained the oil several times to ensure the motor wasn’t pooched.

I told the higher ups in the office it was a bad idea. They didn’t listen.

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 09-29-2020, 12:33 PM

I tried. Let us know how it works out.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
In water bigger is better. While the Argo 6x6 machines can get you around just fine they are a bit sketchy in water because they just don’t float as much and with the motor in the front they float real nose heavy. The 8x8 machines are a lot better if you are going in the water.

If you are looking at a new 8x8 Argo I’d go Mudd-Ox instead. The lower end Vengeance model is superior to a Argo in every way. The T-20 transmission has been around for decades and is bomb-proof. Still chain drive and the motor is mounted mid-machine. 1-1/2” axles, automatic oilers, etc... The Vengeance model is priced the same as a loaded Argo too.

https://www.muddox.net/mudd-ox-vengeance/

You could still have a tough time getting out onto the ice though if conditions are just right.
Good to know there is a different machine out there.

I wonder if from a standpoint of safely and efficient traversing a lake with thick ice to look for spots with potential springs and rather than drive over it to then walk with an ice pole to test thickness is better? Maybe as a process, the Vengence Argo type machine could help to cover lots of ice quickly in deep snow at times to look for soft spots...knowing if you did hit a larger than usual sof spot that can’t be backed out of, the winch could be used.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I tried. Let us know how it works out.
Tried what?
Old 09-29-2020, 01:32 PM

I would wait for winter, ask the salesman to bring out a demo unit and find a hole for him to drive into.

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-29-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I would wait for winter, ask the salesman to bring out a demo unit and find a hole for him to drive into.
Good thing I wasn’t drinking. Make me laugh hard.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I can swim with 100 lbs on my back and boots on then an argo can propel itself through water. I got stuck in a beaver pond one time and it took almost two hours to get out. It was awesome.

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 09-30-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertacoyotecaller View Post
I can swim with 100 lbs on my back and boots on then an argo can propel itself through water. I got stuck in a beaver pond one time and it took almost two hours to get out. It was awesome.
Lol. Me too, more than once. They swim much better with the tracks off, especially if they are Argo rubber or plastic tracks.

The Adair tracks swim really good, but are not as good on ice. The Escargot tracks are the best of both worlds in my mind. Good in the water and on ice. Both work well in snow but not as good as the Argo rubber tracks.

I chucked a set of plastic Argo tracks out once. They are so useless in all conditions I wouldn’t sell them to my worst enemy...
Old 10-01-2020, 10:33 AM

[QUOTE=Sundancefisher;4239598]So here is a scenario.

"Sales guy said it would work. Just have to be careful you are not over loaded and should you drop into the water one doesn’t fall out of the machine. "

Sundance,

Don't know what your line of work is, or your life experience, but even a fool knows NOT TO BELIEVE A SALESMAN.

That goes double for an ARGO SALESMAN.

Ask the guy what model Argo he owns, and how many hours a year he puts on in his Argo, and how many years he has used his Argo. Watch for his really quick smirk, and be entertained by the lie that you get.

Then walk away with your 25 K. Actually, don't walk. RUN!!!!

If it is ice safety you are concerned about because of spring holes in a lake, the only way you will know what the ice thickness is will be by drilling a hole. The Argo can go over very soft ground, because of low ground pressure. How do you think that would compare to the weight of a 250 pd guy stepping with all his weight on one foot?

When my baby Brother and I owned an ARGO (this is real life experience talking, so pay attention) we high centered in the middle of a skeg on a juniper hummock. I stepped out of the machine that was on TOP of the skeg, and shot down to my waist in loon sh**. Get the picture now?

Drewski
Old 10-01-2020, 11:11 AM

I’m no help but I like the air boat idea
Be careful
Old 10-01-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Lol. Me too, more than once. They swim much better with the tracks off, especially if they are Argo rubber or plastic tracks.

The Adair tracks swim really good, but are not as good on ice. The Escargot tracks are the best of both worlds in my mind. Good in the water and on ice. Both work well in snow but not as good as the Argo rubber tracks.

I chucked a set of plastic Argo tracks out once. They are so useless in all conditions I wouldn’t sell them to my worst enemy...
I had a 1980 something argo ran it without tracks. The scene was late November foot plus of snow and I was heading into the Falls Creek area south west of RMH. Headed into the back country by myself around mid day, got to the first creek crossing frozen and all was good, second creek crossing chunks of ice, someone had broken through with a quad. On the way in the guys with the quads were heading back out.
Where I was going I got hung up and ended up snapping one front wheel axle, this was around 2:30, oh well I still have 7 wheels driving as the axle broke on the outside of the argo. Through the wheel in the back and started back. Got to the first creek crossing with out much problem and spent darn near 2 hours trying to get up the opposite bank. The water had splashed up from the quads and it was like a sheet of ice. I could't get back out the other side, and going up or down stream was not an option. I turned the quad around and was able to gain some traction trying to get out in reverse. Had to rock it back and forth and eventually got the machine out. One more crossing and it was frozen but sketchy on the way in. The quads had changed that on the way out, creek was open and flowing, this crossing only took about 90 minutes to get through, once across it wasn't to bad back to 752 where the truck was parked. Got back home well past 10PM.

On another trip into that same area, and along the South Ram, the transmission lever broke and could not be shifted. This caused a long walk out in the dark. Next weekend went back with parts rebuild the shifter, drove the machine out and sold it. I was done with one-way argos!

BW