Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2020, 11:35 PM

Default Noise on the Lake - Rant

For the second time in about a week, an excessively loud “boat” put in a four hour shift on Hastings Lake. Guess several lake front neighbors beat me to it as I was told the RCMP had already “opened a file”. I was unable to see the rig but was ticked enough (because it was so loud we could not carry on a conversation on our deck and there was a complete absence of geese) ... that I went looking for the launch site. Long story made short, the manager at a private campsite on the north side of the lake advised it was the local “fire department” practicing with a low draft propeller driven boat... and had been launched from the campsite. Yes, I have attempted contact with the (admin) Fire Dept but no live person on the other end of the line and no call back.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:44 PM

Those jerk fireman with there saving lives and stuff!! how dare they interupt your nap time while training and testing equipment. .02 world problems.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:47 PM

Two realities ... first public relations (doesn’t take much to let the community know) ...and second, disturbing water fowl...they need a nap too
Old 09-29-2020, 12:28 AM

Thumbs down

Really, even after you find out it is the Fire Department you are still complaining about it?

What did you expect? The Chief in full dress gear going to every cabin with warm biscuits begging for permission?

SMH

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-29-2020, 02:05 AM

I have been more than a little miffed at the number of truly childish, self centred, inconsequential rants on here of late, as well as the truly unbalanced world views being express. Out of you 260 I expected far better. I think you might want to seriously consider asking a Mod to delete this thread before your self induced embarrassment spreads wide and far.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:17 AM

How dare they! The nerve of em.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Those jerk fireman with there saving lives and stuff!! how dare they interupt your nap time while training and testing equipment. .02 world problems.
Kinda like living in cold lake and calling the RCMP because of jet noise.....last night the troops were night flying and yup must have had a snag cuz the techs were doing a jet cal or run up to verify the snag or see if the jet was serviceable......happens.....not everyday/night....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-29-2020, 07:18 AM

Noise on the Lake - Rant

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-29-2020, 07:43 AM

Covid is driving people to the edge, no way around it.

Grizz
Old 09-29-2020, 07:57 AM

Come join us on Wabamun .... all the $250,000 Nautique boats with 5,000W of bass are gone for the season. It's nice and quiet now.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
Come join us on Wabamun .... all the $250,000 Nautique boats with 5,000W of bass are gone for the season. It's nice and quiet now.
The same thing for Wizard Lake.
It got really bad this year. And its not the locals, its people who come out for the day.

Real quiet now, just how we like it.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:02 AM

Call me crazy but unless it is after quiet hours I don’t know how you can complain much. Boats go on lakes. You’re occupying a house at the lake. Have to expect boats to make noise on said lake occasionally.

Of course there is a point where one must be respectful of others but if this is the 2nd time it has happened ever, maybe leave the police focus on all the rampant rural crime rather than some inconsiderate boater (who may actually be the Fire Dept running drills).
Old 09-29-2020, 08:04 AM

Give the guy a break, he was cranky they were loud during a nice evening and disclosed he was ranting. I'm glad something silly has never gotten under your skin and made you post something you normally wouldn't.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:42 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy95 View Post
Give the guy a break, he was cranky they were loud during a nice evening and disclosed he was ranting. I'm glad something silly has never gotten under your skin and made you post something you normally wouldn't.
ohhh we all complain but when I do I get a nice shaadup from the wife and rightfully so.....someone has to keep the peace.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:48 AM

I work nights 50% of the time and have to deal with noise waking me up often but the reality is I cannot expect everyone to tip toe around during the day. There is tons of stuff I find annoying with people but I realize they have a life and things to do

The fact of the matter is we all annoy or inconvenience others at some point in time even if we try not to
Old 09-29-2020, 08:50 AM

The RCMP were likely too busy interfering with lawful waterfowl hunts near Sherwood Park to respond.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:50 AM

Got a call from the County this AM ... explaining their actions ... offering an apology ... and assurance that they would be taking the operation elsewhere. Bottom line is that they were “breaking in” an engine on a “river boat” ... not “practice”. Obviously, Hastings was not an appropriate venue and hopefully they will continue over at a larger lake like Wabamun where folks are used to the noise and waterfowl have a bit more room.
I’m glad I did the right thing and got to the bottom of the issue.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Got a call from the County this AM ... explaining their actions ... offering an apology ... and assurance that they would be taking the operation elsewhere. Bottom line is that they were “breaking in” an engine on a “river boat” ... not “practice”. Obviously, Hastings was not an appropriate venue and hopefully they will continue over at a larger lake like Wabamun where folks are used to the noise and waterfowl have a bit more room.
LOL, not in my backyard. NICE
Old 09-29-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
well you took care of it..congrats..ranting is one of those things that you need to be prepared for some to agree and some not to...especially on a forum.

Old 09-29-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
well you took care of it..congrats..ranting is one of those things that you need to be prepared for some to agree and some not to...especially on a forum.
Be interesting to hear how many of those throwing shade feel about the appropriateness of doing the engine break in as opposed to “practice”? Elk’s comment about the RCMP is interesting ... as I spoke with some hunters that were a bit cranky as well.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 09-29-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Be interesting to hear how many of those throwing shade feel about the appropriateness of doing the engine break in as opposed to “practice”? Elk’s comment about the RCMP is interesting ... as I spoke with some hunters that were a bit cranky as well.
Most people would be cranky if five RCMP vehicles charged out into their waterfowl spread, when they were legally hunting in a private field that they had permission for, in a location where hunting is legal. And they would be even more cranky if the RCMP barged into the same field to interfere with another hunt the very next day. The RCMP could have simply driven up to the field and observed , and they would have seen the blinds and decoys, and seen hunters shooting geese. A quick check would have confirmed that there was no bylaw or restriction against hunting at that location. Then they could have simply informed the complainant that a lawful hunt was taking place, and no laws were being broken. But the officers chose not to use common sense, they charged out onto the same field two days in a row, interfering with two legal hunts. On the first day the hunters even told the officers that they would be back hunting the same field the next day.
The entire episode was not only harassing the hunters, it tied up a lot of vehicles and officers, that could have been doing something useful elsewhere.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
LOL, not in my backyard. NICE
NIMBY, yep.

We had a miserable old mid 60's early 70's ex-council woman that whiiiiiined every time the fire alarm went off. Bitched constantly, and never stopped until they took it down. It was a retired cold lake air raid siren on a tower that rotated. It was so awesome, farmers out of town would show up to the fires to help.

It looks like she moved to Hastings lake.

Old 09-29-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Most people would be cranky if five RCMP vehicles charged out into their waterfowl spread, when they were legally hunting in a private field that they had permission for, in a location where hunting is legal. And they would be even more cranky if the RCMP barged into the same field to interfere with another hunt the very next day. The RCMP could have simply driven up to the field and observed , and they would have seen the blinds and decoys, and seen hunters shooting geese. A quick check would have confirmed that there was no bylaw or restriction against hunting at that location. Then they could have simply informed the complainant that a lawful hunt was taking place, and no laws were being broken. But the officers chose not to use common sense, they charged out onto the same field two days in a row, interfering with two legal hunts. On the first day the hunters even told the officers that they would be back hunting the same field the next day.
The entire episode was not only harassing the hunters, it tied up a lot of vehicles and officers, that could have been doing something useful elsewhere.
Holy hell, I guess! Any clue as to the reasoning behind it? Someone important wanted to hunt there instead?

Old 09-29-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Holy hell, I guess! Any clue as to the reasoning behind it? Someone important wanted to hunt there instead?
From what I am hearing, a local that doesn't like hunting calls the RCMP every time he/she hears gunshots. Yes the RCMP are expected to investigate, but that doesn't mean they have to charge out on the field to see what is going on. And once they realize that the caller is using them as a patsy to interfere with a legal hunt, they should be treating future calls like any other fraudulent 911 calls, and charge the caller.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
From what I am hearing, a local that doesn't like hunting calls the RCMP every time he/she hears gunshots. Yes the RCMP are expected to investigate, but that doesn't mean they have to charge out on the field to see what is going on. And once they realize that the caller is using them as a patsy to interfere with a legal hunt, they should be treating future calls like any other fraudulent 911 calls, and charge the caller.
Should change the title of the thread, this goose hunt thing is way more interesting! An interview on Western Standard:

https://www.westernstandardonline.co...alberta-style/

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-29-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Should change the title of the thread, this goose hunt thing is way more interesting! An interview on Western Standard:

https://www.westernstandardonline.co...alberta-style/
This is especially disturbing ,given that the government introduced legislation to protect hunters against harassment, but obviously not from harassment by the RCMP.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Maybe it is a wingnut Staff sargeant sending the boys out in tactical gear for 'training purposes'.

In any case a lawful hunt does carry both rights and responsibilites, but twice is ridiculous.

Going after the person for charges of mischief and filing false claims is a good start, if the SS is not vegan.

Old 09-29-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
NIMBY, yep.

We had a miserable old mid 60's early 70's ex-council woman that whiiiiiined every time the fire alarm went off. Bitched constantly, and never stopped until they took it down. It was a retired cold lake air raid siren on a tower that rotated. It was so awesome, farmers out of town would show up to the fires to help.

It looks like she moved to Hastings lake.
lol
Old 09-29-2020, 11:50 AM
Banned

This has been a funny thread. A lot of the people taking Jim to task for his rant have ranted in the past about disagreeing with how the province is handling Covid.
I guess it's okay to rant as long as it's something you agree with.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
they should have brought a CO in too to check for licenses, plugged shotty's, proper use shotshells and yup the PAL too...then inform the complainant that the hunt was lawful....perhaps two days in a row might have had two different groups of hunters....maybe the second group could have been trespassing etc.....they are just following up on a call...had this happen and just changed locations cuz there is a poop load of land to hunt ducks/geese etc.....not going to let a few issues wreck my outings....