Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-06-2013, 09:38 PM

Question Park Lake provincal park / Park lake

New to fishing here in Alberta... I have fished for years in Ontario.... either I've lost my touch or I don't know how to fish alberta fish... I have a campsite booked for the Sept long. w/e at Park lake and I can't seem to find any info on this lake other then out of the fishing guide.... Any kind of help on this one would be great......
Old 08-07-2013, 12:05 PM

just been there yesterday evening, caught three small pikes by north shore in about an hour. I heard there are monster pikes in there but never seen one myself. Heard there are perches in there as well
Old 08-07-2013, 12:35 PM

I will be camping there in two weekends. I hope it is good fishing.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:28 PM

I haven't been there this summer, but typically if you have a boat, or can find a canoe/small paddle boat for a couple days, you'll probably be better off. Park Lake is usually horrible for weeds in the summer, and fishing from shore can be frustrating.

If you're stuck to shore fishing and can find a spot or two without an abundance of weeds, any top water lure usually works -> floating rapalas, spinner bait, buzz bait, etc. I've also had good success in the summer just hooking a treble onto a 6" smelt or a minnow on a jig and hanging it under a bobber anywhere from 4-6 feet above the bottom.

There are perch in there as well, but in the few years I've fished there, I've yet to come across one. There has also been the odd walleye and burb come out of there as well, but I think those are very rare cases. The pike fishing can be good if you can get to them, and there are some good sized fish! My biggest out of there was 18+ lbs a couple winters ago, with some 7-10lbers in the summer as well.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
I haven't been there this summer, but typically if you have a boat, or can find a canoe/small paddle boat for a couple days, you'll probably be better off. Park Lake is usually horrible for weeds in the summer, and fishing from shore can be frustrating.

If you're stuck to shore fishing and can find a spot or two without an abundance of weeds, any top water lure usually works -> floating rapalas, spinner bait, buzz bait, etc. I've also had good success in the summer just hooking a treble onto a 6" smelt or a minnow on a jig and hanging it under a bobber anywhere from 4-6 feet above the bottom.

There are perch in there as well, but in the few years I've fished there, I've yet to come across one. There has also been the odd walleye and burb come out of there as well, but I think those are very rare cases. The pike fishing can be good if you can get to them, and there are some good sized fish! My biggest out of there was 18+ lbs a couple winters ago, with some 7-10lbers in the summer as well.
Ya, what he said.

I don't fish there much in the summer, mostly winter because it's close to home and I don't have a boat to get out away from the weeds on the shoreline. Perch are not plentiful but they are jumbos if you find them. I've only "found" one in 30+ years of fishing there, more like an accident. Also caught 2 walleye just after ice out one year but that was waaaay back, before the season was closed for spawning.

We used to walk the dam on the south end and cast from shore and also where the canal comes into the lake, but if the water level is down the weeds get too thick. From a boat would probably be best, try some of the deeper water out on the SE side of the dam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Perch 02 - Feb10-13.jpg (88.8 KB, 34 views)
Old 08-07-2013, 08:34 PM

Default Thanx

Thanks for the info.... I'll be there in a few weeks and will update you guys.... thanks for the info.... I do have a canoe and will have an arm saver on it as well ( minnKota )...