Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-04-2013, 07:31 AM

Do you honestly think the money will go on our fishery resource.....don't be so naive.

Ralph(god rest his soul)started the cuts and they have been going on ever since.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES View Post

I don't think anyone said they did . I know I said that in BC and Manitoba the offer different things to there anglers that would be good here .
No. no one said they did, but their licensing systems were mentioned. In fact, I don't believe any province charges their youth to fish fresh water. I`m unsure of Nfld/Lab, but the rest don't. I just believe that people that had it free, are now calling for the youth of today and tomorrow to pay up, and IMO. that's not right. I have grandnieces and hopefully one day, grand nephews in Alberta and hope they have the free fishing opportunities their parents. grandparents. aunts, uncles, and everyone else on this forum did. I hope they learn to love the sport and continue to fish as adults and pass on what they learned to their children.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
At least.

But,
Why reduced? Its not a lot of money. And it is for a years worth of entertainment.

Quite a few seniors/retirees I have talked to have no objection to paying for a licence.
I know a lot of seniors on fixed incomes that have a hard time coming up with more than the basics in life. Licensing even free would at least give us stats on numbers.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 08-04-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbc View Post
Neither BC or Manitoba charge for a youth license, resident or non-resident, in fact I don't know of a province that does.
So

Nice to be first

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Your out to lunch . The idea is to get more funds into ACA . And to get a better Idea of who are buying licenses and using them .

I don't think anyone said they did . I know I said that in BC and Manitoba the offer different things to there anglers that would be good here . Like the Specialty Sturgeon License that fishfurhunt doesn't think we need , however there is no retention ( harvest ) of sturgeon there either . And I like the Conservation and Harvest License that Manitoba has . But furhuntfish thinks otherwise . But that's why its all good to have different ideas and thoughts .
Exactly why seniors and kids should pay too!
To fish for Sturgeon and to avoid your licence all a person has to say is Im fishing for walleye, why would they buy a licence? How do you enforce it? As I said in a previous post "A separate sturgeon licence is good in theory, but would be a nightmare to enforce, likely will not see it".

Old 08-04-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
I know a lot of seniors on fixed incomes that have a hard time coming up with more than the basics in life. Licensing even free would at least give us stats on numbers.
Far more can afford it than not. Those that cant afford it probably aren't fishing anyway.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Do you honestly think the money will go on our fishery resource.....don't be so naive.

Ralph(god rest his soul)started the cuts and they have been going on ever since.
Yes.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Exactly why seniors and kids should pay too!
To fish for Sturgeon and to avoid your licence all a person has to say is Im fishing for walleye, why would they buy a licence? How do you enforce it? As I said in a previous post "A separate sturgeon licence is good in theory, but would be a nightmare to enforce, likely will not see it".
Well 95% of people are honest and an experienced fish and wildlife officer can read through ones BS . I've seen it more then once .

Well ou can think kids and seniors should have to pay to but I don't see that changing , however I can see then having to have a license .

Tell me how BC enforces it , it must work , 1000's of people fishing sturgeon .

Anyway headed out fishing , before it storms .
Old 08-04-2013, 07:24 PM

How do I keep the sturgeon off the line?

Just think of it this way, if kids and seniors pay the 27 dollars then the ACA is getting more revenue! Sheesh.

Why is that bad?

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 08-04-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:00 AM
Banned

Default what's your beef?

Quote:

...Just think of it this way, if kids and seniors pay the 27 dollars then the ACA is getting more revenue! Sheesh.

Why is that bad?
Do you hate old men. What about old women? Or is it just your parents that you hate and you want to punish everyone for the poor treatment you experienced as a boy?

Whatsa matter you? Sounds like you never met your father, making it easy for you to forget his face. Guys like you make it easy for guys like me to spend ALL my money before I die. Thirty bucks a year for one permit (I regularly buy three) won't kill me. But it cuts into the funds left over for the ingrates. So do medicines, walkers, oxygen tanks and payments on the toys.

Not to mention that the few hundreds generated by charging old men to fish will not pay the cry-me-a-river-Kleenex supply for the Edmonton SRD office.

There is a pile of sand and here is a hammer. Smart fellow like you should know what to do with it.

Free
Old 08-05-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
Do you hate old men. What about old women? Or is it just your parents that you hate and you want to punish everyone for the poor treatment you experienced as a boy?

Whatsa matter you? Sounds like you never met your father, making it easy for you to forget his face. Guys like you make it easy for guys like me to spend ALL my money before I die. Thirty bucks a year for one permit (I regularly buy three) won't kill me. But it cuts into the funds left over for the ingrates. So do medicines, walkers, oxygen tanks and payments on the toys.

Not to mention that the few hundreds generated by charging old men to fish will not pay the cry-me-a-river-Kleenex supply for the Edmonton SRD office.

There is a pile of sand and here is a hammer. Smart fellow like you should know what to do with it.

Free
Huh? What's your problem? Guess one needs an IQ to see the point of this.

"Just think of it this way, if kids and seniors pay the 27 dollars then the ACA is getting more revenue! Sheesh.

Why is that bad"

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 08-05-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:28 AM

A couple of things:

1) I'm 67 and the last time I bought a license I fished that year 125 days making the cost/day @ $.20. A single cigarette is <> $0.40 and decent beer $2.50. Makes the $0.20/day a paultry amount.
2) IBM who manages the licensing system charges about $6.00/ license for processing. A free license to seniors would either be subsidized by other purchasers or cost the processing fee.

Regards,

Don
Old 08-05-2013, 09:45 AM

Default I am for it

if the money goes to the said programs
Old 08-05-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
A couple of things:

1) I'm 67 and the last time I bought a license I fished that year 125 days making the cost/day @ $.20. A single cigarette is <> $0.40 and decent beer $2.50. Makes the $0.20/day a paultry amount.
2) IBM who manages the licensing system charges about $6.00/ license for processing. A free license to seniors would either be subsidized by other purchasers or cost the processing fee.

Regards,

Don
Good points Don

Old 08-05-2013, 03:01 PM

Why not charge the 16 and under and the 65 and over the same amount as the tag application fee... This would allow the SRD a way to know the exact amount of anglers and would keep anglers honest as to harvest limits .. for example no special license, no harvest.. you can fish, just not keep any
Old 08-05-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey929 View Post
Why not charge the 16 and under and the 65 and over the same amount as the tag application fee... This would allow the SRD a way to know the exact amount of anglers and would keep anglers honest as to harvest limits .. for example no special license, no harvest.. you can fish, just not keep any
That's what I was saying with a small fee just to cover the cost of licene and processing fee , but a broken record seems to think to charge them full price , he must only know the wealthy seniors . None the less changes are going to happen and I welcome them greatly . Just hope they don't screw the people who currently don't pay .
Old 08-05-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
That's what I was saying with a small fee just to cover the cost of licene and processing fee , but a broken record seems to think to charge them full price , he must only know the wealthy seniors . None the less changes are going to happen and I welcome them greatly . Just hope they don't screw the people who currently don't pay .
your right, why have users put any money into the fisheries?

Aw heck I gotta say it! If you are going to charge the processing fee etc, why the heck not the additional 16.00 that goes to the ACA?
..shakes head...

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 08-05-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:29 PM

Even if there was 65000 kids and seniors that would be an additional million to ACA?

Oh well. you can lead them to water but you cant make em drink.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 08-05-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
A couple of things:

Regards,

Don
Try president choice beer, $1 a can saves you $1.50 so that's almost 8 more times on the water!

In all seriousness kids and seniors should have a license but IMO shouldn't have to pay for it.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:10 PM

Modest increase for the fisheries o.k.
Keep it there and not sucked in to the government vacccum.
Kids 12 and under free...
Seniors and 13-15 $10.00... 10 bucks= 6 bucks for the IBM button pushers and 4 bucks for improvements...Both groups benefit from improved fisheries.

My 5c
Dave.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:56 PM

well - eneogh of this bs. time to stir the pot - - seeing that many of you are so eager to pay higher fees for fishing licenses, if you want seniors to pay $25 - 30 dallars for a fishing license, then, I see nothing wrong with charging those of you with good paying jobs about $150.00 a year, you would probably never miss it.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:19 PM

Most seniors live on 18 to 25thousand a year. Most seniors bought their truck or boat and fishing equipment before they retired. When my truck or boat has had it thats it for me as I can not afford to buy either again. I believe only about 10 percent of retirees are well off. When a licence is cheap people put more into equipment, motels. hotels,etc. Think about it, a couple of guys say lets go to Alberta for a couple of days licences are only $25.00 bucks. They look at the licence cost and away they go. A couple of guys are talking about going to Alberta for a couple of days and the licence is 50 or 60 bucks, they look at each other,put 50 bucks and 50 bucks together and equals a hundred bucks and that turns out to be 5 days camping in thier own province or it is the cost of going to a lake farther away than they would normally go to so Alberta is now off the list etc. etc.. That's how policy makers would look at it.
Funny but people look at the cost of the licence not the cost of getting to where they are going or the cost of staying there. Think about the people on minimum wage 9 or 10 bucks an hour. A man and wife, licence $50.00 each they cannot afford to go fishing. Period.
Bjay

Last edited by Bjay; 08-06-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:28 PM

OK to the increase, but they really need to introduce something like a 7-day license for Albertans and out-of-provincers at a reduced rate (like they currently have for non-Canadians, a 1-day and a 7-day license option). A lot of people who might be curious about trying fishing will be put off when they find it's going to cost $28 plus a WIN card. Give them another option, and if they find they like fishing they'll go on and buy an annual license.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbc View Post
I'm in BC and think it's about time Alberta raised the price for non-residents to fish their waters. Glad to see it will be comparable to BC's which is dirt cheap, when you compare it to to other sports. 2 days at whistler for lift tickets is $218, one day skiing Grouse Mountain is $58. Green fees for a Saturday at Golden Eagles Golf Course are $54. So $55 or $56 for a whole year of fishing fresh water is pretty cheap. IMO...I hope they put the $$ back into the resource in habitat protection or enhancement, and not the infamous general revenue!!
Still doesn't come close to BC's gouging. $56 for the year.... but what's that you say? You want to be able to keep a rainbow? That's an extra $20. Oh, a lake trout? That's an extra $20 too. Oh, and you dare to want to land a steelhead? Get out your wallet. What? You want to fish THAT river? That's "classified". Hand over more cash.....
Old 08-06-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Still doesn't come close to BC's gouging. $56 for the year.... but what's that you say? You want to be able to keep a rainbow? That's an extra $20. Oh, a lake trout? That's an extra $20 too. Oh, and you dare to want to land a steelhead? Get out your wallet. What? You want to fish THAT river? That's "classified". Hand over more cash.....
BC = Bring Cash

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 08-06-2013, 07:00 PM

Again, neither the ACA nor the proposed ACA angling levy increase have anything to do with changing the current licensing structure.
Please read the following thread to understand what the ACA does;
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=187150
Old 08-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Banned

No Darn Way!!!!!

This government in this province does not how to spend your money in an effective and efficient manner right now. What makes you think increasing the price of fishing licences will improve anything.

How much revenue is this increase going bring in? Remember that increasing the price could result in more poaching or just not fishing because of the fee increase giving a net loss of revenue.

Redford has billions to spend, but they are sure are not on wildlife. You voted her in and now you want to give her more money? I have never seen a more ridiculous thing in my life.

I could see civil servants wanting any increase in fear of losing their job, but in pure economic terms they do not produce anything for society. They live off other peoples wages.

Last edited by greylynx; 08-06-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:48 PM

I have no objection to paying a bigger levy, but I do have an objection to paying a bigger levy to once again improve trout fisheries, and stock more trout ponds. there really are more than one species of fish in this province!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-07-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
No Darn Way!!!!!

This government in this province does not how to spend your money in an effective and efficient manner right now. What makes you think increasing the price of fishing licences will improve anything.

How much revenue is this increase going bring in?

Just some rough math comes up with additional revenues of about $600,000 -$700,000 per year attributable to the proposed angling levy increase.
Sorry, don't have numbers for the hunting levy increase...
Old 08-07-2013, 12:59 AM
Banned

It's way easier to raise fees than cut fat.

Get the knife ma.

permits for children (not legal age) and seniors? get real.

The permitting structure in BC is a shame. a SHAME.

We need more info on why $8 is going to IBM and to rock that boat.

We need some of these stocked ponds to be catch and release to instill that culture in people and to encourage purchasing land based, farmed fish.

hint hint epic