Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-25-2007, 05:56 PM
gnolan

Default Best Sheep Hunting Boots?

I was hoping to get some advice on the best sheep hunting boots. I currently use a good pair of mountaineering boots but they are getting worn out. They have a full steel shank (super stiff) and were great in lots of situations. However, they are heavy. What does everyone think? Anyone have a favorite make/model?
Old 12-25-2007, 06:10 PM
sheephunter

Lowa Sheephunter!
Old 12-25-2007, 06:41 PM

i and every other sheep guide i know wear Asolos. Awesome boot and i have never had a sore foot, pinched toe, or blister. Lightweight, waterproof, goretex, warm. Just an awesome boot.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:26 PM

I also wear Asolo boots. Best footwear I have ever owned by a wide margin. Go and try lots of on though. Run around the store, kick the wall. Everyone is different, fit is the most important thing to consider.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:30 PM

yeah good point, every ones foot is different. They don't come cheap though!
Old 12-25-2007, 07:37 PM

I agree that every one's foot is different. I like the Lowa GTX like Sheep does as well....the Tibets are nice but they are lower....I got a bad ankle so taller is better for me.

Solid advice about trying lots on....try to go down and incline as well to see how much your slipping and cramming up against the end.....sucks with a pack on to say the least.......buy for YOUR foot.....there's lotsa good stuff out there.

Merry Christmas,

tm
Old 12-25-2007, 08:18 PM

Default Lowa GTX Extreme( Sheep Hunters)

I bought a pr. of these (Lowa) last spring. They are fantastic. Ordered them from Baker Shoe company

http://www.bakershoe.com/lowa-boots-catalog/index.html

Roebag
Old 12-25-2007, 08:22 PM

My Lowa's have worn well and are very comfy.My only complaint is the rubber is peeling back.i took them to a boot repair shop and he told me that i would be better off buying new ones because they couldn't glue them back in place?

What Lowa's are the tallest with good ankle support? any website.

Meindels are supposed to be cadillac,may be my next choice. I just want a real good quality well wearing boot when my lowa's are expired.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:26 PM
sheephunter

Owned three pairs of Meindles....never again. Brutal warranty...and quality has gone way down hill!
Old 12-25-2007, 08:48 PM
stubblejumper

I still own three pairs of meindls,from five years old to ten years old.I only wear them for hunting and they are all still serviceable.The most comfortable boots that I have ever worn.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:49 PM

Default yup

yea sheep i have to agree with you, i sheep hunted for a month every day on two different hunts this year and my mendals are jsut not holding up, i am also going to try the lowa next, used to be mendals were the boot to own now im not sure,
Old 12-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Banned

Last edited by Mintaka; 12-29-2008 at 05:28 AM.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:44 PM

Irish Setters suck. Poor choice for the money.

As an arborist, I've traditionally gone through (on average) two different pairs of boots per season.....

Then I discovered Zamberlands. By the spring, I'll be entering my third season on the same pair. They've been up on the rock as well. They can take a beating. Great mountain boot until you start spending some time in the snow.

Tree
Old 12-25-2007, 11:12 PM
sheephunter

I was a huge Zamberlan fan till my last pair. They literally shredded my feet on the first two trips and I had to take them back. Apparently it's not uncommon with the new ones. Guy at MEC has had loads returned. I loved them too but they have definitely changed...ugh
Old 12-25-2007, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
What Lowa's are the tallest with good ankle support? any website.
Hey Springer...I've resorted to taping my ankle on most occasions. Definately for long hikes and extended trips. It's usually good for a second day by adding a wrap. Pro-wrap is your friend. Never found a brace that works well under boots and I had some pretty nice ones from volleyball back in the day.

tm
Old 12-25-2007, 11:37 PM

ok , now Tundra monkey has already cost me quite a few hundred for a good pack , so I have to ask , How much is a good set of boots going to set me back ? You definately want a good set on your feet for day after day of hiking up and down chasing the elusive Dall and I would like to get them a few months in advance to get them properly broke in.
Damn you TM , this friendship is getting very expensive !!!
LOL
Old 12-25-2007, 11:42 PM
Banned

I use danner canadians...i have had meindels, lowas and almost anything else u can imagine but i like these particular danners best. But honestly get whatever works with your feet dude, not what works for other guys...and the most importtant piece of sheephunting footwear is those big puffy down filled slippers MEC sells...honestly at the end of the day it is like someone hugging your footsies and they weigh next to nuttin
Old 12-25-2007, 11:53 PM
Banned

I posted this on CGN a while back and pasted it here to save my fingers

Quote:
I have owned three pairs of Meindl boots and not one of them were worth a s**t for the type of terrain I spend time in(mostly rock and high country and not just hunting). The first pair I owned was around 20 years ago.

If you spend allot of time in rock, there are much better boots out there for this than Meindl's. But for a hunter who wants a boot for all around hunting the Meindl's are a decent boot at a mid range price. But if you want a strictly mountain and high country boot there are much better choices out there.

IMO the good boot companies out there have started to loose thier integrity to weekender's and light weight backpackers. Light weight is great and I am all for it, but if it cant take a lickin it aint worth a s**t to me.
Someone asked my experience with the Meindl's and this was my response:

Quote:
On the first two pairs of Meindl's I had the leather softened and stretched much to fast, and the soles didn't last very long at all. My father had the same experiences with these. The third pair I had about ten years ago, the sole started to come off after a few months of hard use. That was enough for me. Back then these were roughly $350 a pair. I don't remember the model name they used back then when I had mine but they looked exactly like the Himalaya MFS they currently make.

I tried Salomon's Super Mountain Guide 9's, the outside and sole held up very well, the insides wore out in about a year. Received another pair on warranty, same thing happened. I paid about $400. These are no longer made, I think I know why.

The LA Sportiva Lhotse I used worked very well overall, lasted about two and a half years of hard mountain use. The new boot that shares this name is a little different now, not as durable IMO.

Two of my favorite brands of boots no longer make the models that have worked the best for me over the years. First is the LA Sportiva Nepal Extreme. These are probably one of the best boots I have ever used. $595 is what they cost back a few years ago when they still made them. My father used these for about his last ten years of guiding in NWT and the Yukon and says they are by far the best mountain boot he ever used and he has been through more boots than I have. They make a new version which is called the Nepal Evo GTX, very close to the old version, just a few minor changes that I guess make them a little lighter. I think these are just over $500 now, Noel would know for sure.

Second is the boots I am using now and am on my third pair, the Scarpa Cerro Torre. My first two pairs lasted about 3 years each. When I heard they were not going to make these any more I bought one last pair about two years ago. I am just in the process of breaking them in now to get them ready for the summer and fall. $500 per pair. When these are done I will probably go to the new style Nepal GTX as long as they don't change it anymore.

I have used so many mountaineering boots over the years, I lost count a long time ago. The most frustrating part is just when you find a good boot that works well and lasts a decent amount of time, they go and change it on you and then you are back at square one.
The other boots that should be mentioned IMO are the Hanwag's. The only ones I would consider for myself would be the Omega or the Omega GTX's. I have a few close friends who have used Hanwags religiously for many years and they swear by them...

Last edited by crazy_davey; 12-26-2007 at 01:36 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:05 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
and the most importtant piece of sheephunting footwear is those big puffy down filled slippers MEC sells..
And here I was thinking I was the only one that got laughed at in those...yup, they are comfy at the end of the day!
Old 12-26-2007, 12:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
But honestly get whatever works with your feet dude, not what works for other guys...
And that about sums it up. But it can be a long hard road finding out what works best for any individual. Especially when it comes to mountain hunting footwear.

Feet are like the individual, no two pairs are alike...
Old 12-26-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
And that about sums it up. But it can be a long hard road finding out what works best for any individual. Especially when it comes to mountain hunting footwear.

Feet are like the individual, no two pairs are alike...
Regardless of whether you are climbing mountains or hiking the coulees and slough bottoms of southern Alberta don't chince on footwear. I've got problem feet as it is so it is even more important that I pay special attention to my feet.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
don't chince on footwear.
I agree with that. But most guys sure as heck don't need a full shanked mountain expedition boot for chasing pheasants on the prairies.

Maybe the more appropriate way to say it is, don't chince on footwear and buy the right boot suited for the terrain you hunt in.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:54 AM

I have a pair of Meindl Canadians. I wore them for 2 seasons aprox 7 1/2 months between the two. And they are WORE OUT!!!!! I know a guy that weres Asolo's and swears by them (he guides all yr round) and another friend just got a pair of Lowa Sheephunters and so far he really likes them. Not sure what I am going to get for next season. But great thread gnolan, keep the info coming guys.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:38 AM

I have used Asolos and Hanwags, both great boots but prefer the Hanwags.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:44 AM

Bought a pair of hanwags this fall, was very happy,served me well on my 408 archery sheep draw
Old 12-26-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Owned three pairs of Meindles....never again. Brutal warranty...and quality has gone way down hill!
X2 Don't know about Lowa's but Asolo would fix "replace" your boots or thats been my experiance. But I haven't had a pair in 8 or nine years. Sounds like Lowa's are worth a serious look.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:09 AM

My biggest problem with any boots is my feet sweat so much. My socks are always wet.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:41 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wall View Post
Bought a pair of hanwags this fall, was very happy,served me well on my 408 archery sheep draw

You drew 408 this year wall? How'd you make out?
Old 12-26-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
You drew 408 this year wall? How'd you make out?
I was lucky to get drawn.What a priviledge to hunt sheep during the month of November and better yet in the W.M.U. of 408.I had a hunt I will never forget and to top it off I harvested a nice ram on November 28th.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:02 PM

Meindles are still the best for me. The problem that ost guys have is that they get them wet wading across streams and thn get them too close to the fire to dry them off. Make sure you keep the leather clean and taken care of and put some good product on them and they will last you for a long time.