Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2013, 07:00 PM

Default Guess it all depends on perspective

I have had occasion to use safe storage from RCMP in Strathmore. We had a septic back up many years ago and while there was probably 2-3 inches of water on the rec room floor my safe was in danger of holding the water and damaging many firearms. Add to that Serfpro wanted nothing to do with firearms and I did not have another secure place to store them in the house while I was working and countless trades were sterilizing the damaged area before drywall insulation etc etc could be removed and replaced.
Everything was cased and delivered to RCMP for safe storage as I could not provide "safe storage" myself. No questions at all when I explained what had happened and why I needed a safe place to keep them for a month. I had an inventory list with descriptions and serial numbers.

Got them back just as easy a little over a month later. No problems.

Maybe there is no conspiracy here but they took unsecured firearms to keep them in a controlled safe area during a disaster.

Flame suit on!
Old 06-30-2013, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
Kind of makes a person wonder, doesn't it? I mean, how many people have guns just lying around, out in the open? Especially when they've left their homes due to an evacuation order. Hmmmmm........???
Here comes the crap... Sir do you live at........? we noted that while going through your belongings in your home, we found that your firearm was improperly stored,.... so here is a summons to appear before the magistrate........
Damn uniformed thieves....
Old 06-30-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Maybe there is no conspiracy here but they took unsecured firearms to keep them in a controlled safe area during a disaster.
If they had to break into the houses to get them, they weren't really unsecured , were they? And if some of those many firearms did have had trigger locks installed, then according to the regulations, they were being stored safely, ruling out any reason to take them.

The other part that ruins that alibi though, is the statement that they only took firearms that were in "plain sight", when it was posted by a member in another thread, that they took his son's firearm, which was in a case and hidden in a closet. Obviously it wasn't in plain sight, so they lied about that part. In the same post, he mentioned that they took the firearm from the case, and left the case behind, which is the last thing that I would do, if I had any respect for the owner's property.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebuck View Post
These are the words of a retired Staff Sergeant who shut it down because of the BS, after 35 years of honorable service!!!!
Thank you sir for your service. I know you are not the only one who left the force because it had lost it's moral compass.
That is really sad. You are the very sort of police office we need, especially now.

God bless you in whatever you do with the rest of your life.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 06-30-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep dog View Post
How did they do that? Remember, the LGR is no longer.

Do you have a WIN card? The address associated with that card probably has firearms. How about a PAL? Did you take a hunter safety course?? Did you buy your last firearm with cash or credit card....there are many ways to collect information that would very likely point to you being a firearms owner...including participation on hunting forums.

What percentage of the homes broken into were the homes of firearms owners?? If more than average then you know that these homes were specifically targeted.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
I have had occasion to use safe storage from RCMP in Strathmore. We had a septic back up many years ago and while there was probably 2-3 inches of water on the rec room floor my safe was in danger of holding the water and damaging many firearms. Add to that Serfpro wanted nothing to do with firearms and I did not have another secure place to store them in the house while I was working and countless trades were sterilizing the damaged area before drywall insulation etc etc could be removed and replaced.
Everything was cased and delivered to RCMP for safe storage as I could not provide "safe storage" myself. No questions at all when I explained what had happened and why I needed a safe place to keep them for a month. I had an inventory list with descriptions and serial numbers.

Flame suit on!
Boy you just don't get it do you.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep dog View Post
That could be the case. Even so, the LGR data is gone. So the question remains.
You seriously need to pull your head out of your cavity and breathe some fresh air pal.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
Boy you just don't get it do you.
Clearly, he doesn't.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:52 AM
Banned

Quote:

Flame suit on!
The salient point is that this is about a lot more than guns.

Are people screaming about their other valuables?
No.
Are they moaning about the loss of everything to the flood itself?
No.

The guns are incidental.

What people are really angry about is the loss of a reasonable expectation of privacy and security as guaranteed in the G-damn Charter of Rights!

The RCMP could have walked in and taken their beer or a broken TV set and folks would be just as mad and they'd have every right to be.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
The salient point is that this is about a lot more than guns.

Are people screaming about their other valuables?
No.
Are they moaning about the loss of everything to the flood itself?
No.

The guns are incidental.

What people are really angry about is the loss of a reasonable expectation of privacy and security as guaranteed in the G-damn Charter of Rights!

The RCMP could have walked in and taken their beer or a broken TV set and folks would be just as mad and they'd have every right to be.
You nailed it. It's not what was taken necessarily, it's how it was done. If they can come in and take your guns "in the name of safety". What's stopping them from taking your cash, gold, silver or anything else?

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 07-01-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
Here comes the crap... Sir do you live at........? we noted that while going through your belongings in your home, we found that your firearm was improperly stored,.... so here is a summons to appear before the magistrate........
Damn uniformed thieves....
True enough, but it seems to me that the RCMP have left themselves in a very vulnerable position.
"Yes your honor, the firearm in question, the one illegally seized in my absence by the RCMP, was indeed stored improperly. In fact it was stored right next to a pile of thousand dollar bills, gold, diamonds, jewelry and priceless art. Oh yeah, I think there was a pound or two of cocaine there as well. All of it is apparently now missing. Perhaps the officers who seized my illegally stored duck gun would care to explain?"
Old 07-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Banned

Quote:

Flame suit on!
No flaming, just some clarity. Did you ask them if they could provide safe storage for your guns or was your door busted in and the guns taken? There is a big difference between those two.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:42 AM

In all these threads, there is very little mention of the volume of firearms. From what I have heard, the RCMP admits that there were several hundred firearms collected. Unless there were some obscenely large collections left in the open, it seems rather methodical to collect several hundred firearms, doesn't it?
Old 07-02-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
In all these threads, there is very little mention of the volume of firearms. From what I have heard, the RCMP admits that there were several hundred firearms collected. Unless there were some obscenely large collections left in the open, it seems rather methodical to collect several hundred firearms, doesn't it?
Maybe not so much. Lots of avid hunters and gun owners easily own 5, 10, 20 guns after years of hunting, sport shooting etc. A buddy I went sporting clay hunting with north of Calgary has over 20 himself.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-02-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Maybe not so much. Lots of avid hunters and gun owners easily own 5, 10, 20 guns after years of hunting, sport shooting etc. A buddy I went sporting clay hunting with north of Calgary has over 20 himself.
Just saying it begs some questions.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:25 AM

Here are a couple of quotes to think about:

From a past event:

Q: "Did you yourself ever feel pity with the victims, thinking of your own family and children? How was it possible for you to carry out these actions in spite of this?"

A: "In view of all these doubts which I had, the only one and decisive argument was the strict order and the reason given for it by Reichsführer Himmler."
-Affidavit, Auschwitz commander Rudolf Hoss, Nuremberg War Crimes Trial

The "reason given for it" was security.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission."
-Ayn Rand

"A passion for power, in any degree, will override moral-ethical norms, courtesy, and notions about "tolerance."
-Francis Porretto
Old 07-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Gone Hunting

We still do not know a lot about what happened in High River.

There is reason to doubt the official explanation. That does not equate to Gestapo, tactics, theft, or anything of that nature.

To make such accusations only makes us look bad.

If we want the public to trust us with guns, we have to show ourselves to be reasonable, level headed and law abiding.

Making unsubstantiated accusations, suggesting violent and/or illegal retaliation, that is the tactics of the anti movement.

If we are no better then the anti people we do not deserve peoples trust or respect any more then they do.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-02-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
We still do not know a lot about what happened in High River.

There is reason to doubt the official explanation. That does not equate to Gestapo, tactics, theft, or anything of that nature.

To make such accusations only makes us look bad.

If we want the public to trust us with guns, we have to show ourselves to be reasonable, level headed and law abiding.

Making unsubstantiated accusations, suggesting violent and/or illegal retaliation, that is the tactics of the anti movement.

If we are no better then the anti people we do not deserve peoples trust or respect any more then they do.
Well said!
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-02-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
It would be nice if the powers that be conducted themselves in that manner also.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA