Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2023, 09:14 AM

Default Edmonton Shootings Up 42%

Edmonton is becoming the Toronto of the west, shootings are up 42% since last year. And that is with Trudeau's order in council in effect.

https://www.edmontonpolice.ca/News/M...earmstatsDec14
Old 12-19-2023, 09:29 AM

Wow, Stabmonton is growing up and playing with the big boys like TO and Chicago now with guns. Congrats Sohi! Gun control doesn't work. They should try criminal control.
Old 12-19-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
Gun control doesn't work. They should try criminal control.
Bah, that's just crazy talk!
Old 12-19-2023, 10:45 AM

Yup the toilet bowl is swirling faster everyday since Sohi brought his woke federal liberal mindset to city council, I can't imagine how much worse it's gonna get with him at the controls.......
Old 12-19-2023, 02:14 PM

Way to go Hamasmonton!!! A class act!
Old 12-19-2023, 02:23 PM

Hey, Were last in the CFL, not doing so well in the NHL.

We want to be first at something!

Thanks to Sohi, Trudeau, and Boissonnault, were getting there with gun crime and shootings!

BW
Old 12-19-2023, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Bah, that's just crazy talk!
Tough on legal firearm owners, soft on actual crime. What could go wrong? Well, a 42% uptick, that’s what.
Old 12-19-2023, 02:30 PM

Cops responding to 4500 complaints due to bums in tarps on city land...that takes manpower away from other stuff.

Cops sent out to investigate who burned rubber on a rainbow crosswalk

Sohi and his band of idiots more worried about bike lanes and appeasing every immigrants demands....

City votes NDP at every chance.

Legal drugs and injection sites.

Canada is a dumping ground for everyone from SH countries....

WTH do people expect?
Old 12-19-2023, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I’d rather be outdoors View Post
Tough on legal firearm owners, soft on actual crime. What could go wrong? Well, a 42% uptick, that’s what.
Exactly.
Old 12-19-2023, 04:52 PM

I find it incredibly whimsical how the feds are so stupid! You know what's even worse? We let it happen!! Who is it that is really the stupid ones??

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 12-19-2023 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-19-2023, 04:56 PM

Quote:
It's hard to believe that despite all of the other critical issues facing this country, including off the charts recidivism rates, that our federal government is still chugging full speed along with their gun ban and worse yet, gun buy back.

The tens of billions that will be wasted on it that could go to so many better resources that will actually help Canadians.
Old 12-19-2023, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
I find it incredibly whimsical how the feds are so fkn stupid! You know what's even worse? We let it happen!! Who is it that is really the stupid ones??
Stupid? Not so sure. But they are hell bent on destroying the country as per Klaus.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-19-2023, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Hey, Were last in the CFL, not doing so well in the NHL.

We want to be first at something!

Thanks to Sohi, Trudeau, and Boissonnault, were getting there with gun crime and shootings!

BW
As bad as Sohi and his band of idiots are, I think that Iveson did more damage in his two terms. The last decent mayor Edmonton had was probably Bill Smith. Since most of the city’s residents are getting their paycheques from the coffers of the Federal, Provincial or Municipal governments, I don’t see how things will change anytime soon.
Old 12-19-2023, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
As bad as Sohi and his band of idiots are, I think that Iveson did more damage in his two terms. The last decent mayor Edmonton had was probably Bill Smith. Since most of the city’s residents are getting their paycheques from the coffers of the Federal, Provincial or Municipal governments, I don’t see how things will change anytime soon.
I don't really understand the constant crapping on the City of Edmonton. Municipalities are severely hamstrung with what services they can provide, and what is within their jurisdiction to deal with, but they bear the brunt of the impact.

Addictions and mental health care are a provincial jurisdiction.

Homeless and housing are a provincial jurisdiction.

Courts and legal system are a provincial (and Federal) jurisdiction.

It also was not the decision of the City of Edmonton to build more prison beds per capita here than any other major city in Canada. The Edmonton Institution is the largest maximum security prison west of Ontario.

The City of Edmonton has made numerous boneheaded decisions and spent money like drunken sailors as bad as any level of government, but the problems faced in this city go so far beyond any incompetence by an elected municipal body.
Old 12-19-2023, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
I find it incredibly whimsical how the feds are so fkn stupid! You know what's even worse? We let it happen!! Who is it that is really the stupid ones??
No, we didn’t let it happen and aren’t stupid. The stupid ones are the people still voting for this communist garbage. Meh, one day the army will have to go in to clean things up.
Old 12-19-2023, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
I don't really understand the constant crapping on the City of Edmonton. Municipalities are severely hamstrung with what services they can provide, and what is within their jurisdiction to deal with, but they bear the brunt of the impact.

It also was not the decision of the City of Edmonton to build more prison beds per capita here than any other major city in Canada. The Edmonton Institution is the largest maximum security prison west of Ontario.

The City of Edmonton has made numerous boneheaded decisions and spent money like drunken sailors as bad as any level of government, but the problems faced in this city go so far beyond any incompetence by an elected municipal body.
Edmonton has wasted hundreds of millions of dollars, on stupidity like electric buses, bike paths, and so called art. As far as jurisdiction goes, yes housing is provincial, but the city let the homeless settlements form, and they let the LRT get to where it is now. At the very least, Edmonton could have spent some of that money on policing, to protect it's citizens instead of wasting it on stupidity.
Old 12-19-2023, 07:39 PM

Quote:

I guess that it has something to do with paying ever increasing property taxes for the past 25 years, all the while watching city services diminish. Infrastructure projects that are constantly behind schedule and consistently way over budget. Watching the city allow its mass transit system to become a ferrying service for criminals and a moving drug den on wheels. Allow downtown Edmonton, after a decades long revitalization, deteriorate into the cesspool that it has become (at nearly 25 percent office vacancy downtown, it doesn't really exude confidence in our civic leaders). That outlines a few minor annoyances, obviously not the City of Edmonton's fault, lol.
Old 12-19-2023, 07:48 PM

Quote:
No, we didn’t let it happen and aren’t stupid. The stupid ones are the people still voting for this communist garbage. Meh, one day the army will have to go in to clean things up.
we are gonna have to be that army , i'm ok with it , we won't be the first country to force the government out.
Old 12-19-2023, 08:13 PM

Default edmonton shootings up 42%

import the 3 rd world become the 3rd world
Old 12-19-2023, 08:20 PM

Not rock bottom yet ….
Old 12-19-2023, 11:02 PM

No worries the (offensive) street signs will be next! And they will also cry for the police to be defunded. As mentioned earlier, Toronto of the west and Calgary is right behind them.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-20-2023, 09:24 AM

Randy…Is there a database to record if firearms are illegally obtained or not?
Old 12-20-2023, 11:27 AM

I am ordering a full body armour for the family as a Christmas gifts…
Old 12-20-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Edmonton has wasted hundreds of millions of dollars, on stupidity like electric buses, bike paths, and so called art. As far as jurisdiction goes, yes housing is provincial, but the city let the homeless settlements form, and they let the LRT get to where it is now. At the very least, Edmonton could have spent some of that money on policing, to protect it's citizens instead of wasting it on stupidity.
The City can only do so much when it comes to homeless settlements. They are actively everyday removing encampments, but the problem is at such a scale because simply coming in and removing all of the tents and other items/trash within their settlements only temporarily delays the problem while the homeless people move on and start a new encampment elsewhere, because the underlying problem is obviously not being addressed.

EPS is already by far the highest funded municipal police force per capita in Canada. Hiring more cops will not solve the systemic issues of people struggling with mental health, addictions, and lack of housing supports. They can arrest them but the courts let them out within hours. Whose fault is that? Not EPS nor the City.

How about we see some bail reforms, more prison space (in the Calgary area!), better proactive mental health and addiction supports, and build some affordable/transitional housing? Oh wait, all of those fall into the jurisdiction of the Alberta Government & Federal Government, both of which want you to continue to blame municipalities while they sit on their hands.
Old 12-20-2023, 02:37 PM

Quote:
The City can only do so much when it comes to homeless settlements. They are actively everyday removing encampments, but the problem is at such a scale because simply coming in and removing all of the tents and other items/trash within their settlements only temporarily delays the problem while the homeless people move on and start a new encampment elsewhere, because the underlying problem is obviously not being addressed.

EPS is already by far the highest funded municipal police force per capita in Canada. Hiring more cops will not solve the systemic issues of people struggling with mental health, addictions, and lack of housing supports. They can arrest them but the courts let them out within hours. Whose fault is that? Not EPS nor the City.

How about we see some bail reforms, more prison space (in the Calgary area!), better proactive mental health and addiction supports, and build some affordable/transitional housing? Oh wait, all of those fall into the jurisdiction of the Alberta Government & Federal Government, both of which want you to continue to blame municipalities while they sit on their hands.

Spending hundreds of millions on consulting fees certainly doesn't fall on the provincial or federal governments. When the city was and likely still is spending close to 10% of the capital budget on consultants, obviously the city doesn't and hasn't been hiring the right people. There has been way too much nepotism and diversity hiring instead. I remember an audit a few years ago that pointed out 65% of consulting fees were from contract changes. If you're okay with this, you're either not a city tax payer, you're a consultant or you work for the city. Admit it, the city wastes a ton of money that could be better spent elsewhere.

Although many social issues don't fall in the city's jurisdiction, they did very little from 2019 until this year to dissuade open drug use and squatting all over the capital region. Because of this, the city and its residents are reaping the consequences of what their policies have sown. Any communities in which the city was a proponent of safe injection sites and actually approved the locations, have destroyed the community. Chinatown anyone?
Old 12-20-2023, 03:58 PM

To be fair to jstubbs, I was getting off-topic harping so much on the city's mismanagement regarding this topic. It's the hug-a-thug revolving door legal system, with a hands off approach to certain demographics within the city that has created the issue of an increase in shootings.

If gang bangers want to gang bang, put some bullet proof glass around the field at Commonwealth Stadium and let them have at it gladiator style. Maybe have a couple of guys in corn harvesters and a couple of tractors pulling discs/harrows around the field for a few added obstacles.
Old 12-20-2023, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
To be fair to jstubbs, I was getting off-topic harping so much on the city's mismanagement regarding this topic. It's the hug-a-thug revolving door legal system, with a hands off approach to certain demographics within the city that has created the issue of an increase in shootings.
And that's my only point. The City of Edmonton is wasteful and there are numerous instances of their fiscal mismanagement and overall incompetence, but the problems plaguing Edmonton do not fall squarely on their hands. The majority of the blame for the state of Edmonton is on the Alberta Government and Feds.

Edmonton just got the short end of the stick by having:
-A disproportionately large amount of prison beds, meaning criminal lowlifes from all over wash up here after their sentencing
-A revolving door legal system that lets out those criminals who have washed up here in and out repeatedly
-Being the closest major city to essentially the whole north of Canada, who suffer substance abuse issues at a much higher rate than average that bring them to Edmonton for treatment/social services (very few homeless people in Edmonton are actually from Edmonton, vast majority are from rural Alberta)
-A provincial government who last built a hospital in the city 45 years ago, and has chronically underfunded mental health services
-A provincial government who fund more homeless shelter space in Calgary than Edmonton, despite Edmonton long having worse homelessness issues
-A provincial government who refused to provide operating funding to the supportive housing that Edmonton took the initiative on to build in lieu of the province doing anything (again, their jurisdiction)

There about 60 other reasons but that about sums it up. If I were a City of Edmonton taxpayer, I'd be livid that the province (and rural AB specifically) continues to download costs and problems onto the City of Edmonton, directly impacting the property tax increases seen.
Old 12-20-2023, 08:29 PM

I have done some of my best shooting in Edmonton.
Got a 97 in the handicap a couple years ago.
(Ed shot a 100 that day)
Old 12-20-2023, 10:10 PM

Quote:

Sorry, but you are out to lunch on your posts in this thread.
I know you like to seize any opportunity to blame the provincial government for everything, but the city is 100% to blame for the homeless situation.
They only recently started cleaning up these disasters.
Allowing camps to exist for even a day contributes to the problem.
Not cleaning up the LRT contributes to the problem.
Driving citizens into poverty contributes to the problem.
Continuing to waste 100's of millions of dollars contributes to the problem.
Enabling druggies contributes to the problem.

A longstanding EPS officer recently told me that most of the homeless people he has interactions with are not even from here. They come here from other provinces and a lot from the US.
Why? Because we enable them.
We feed them, transport them, give them free drug paraphernalia, allow them to panhandle at intersections, defend them, and so on.

News flash.... They are not here for the weather.
They're here because we have given them the perfect environment to thrive in.
That has nothing to do with the provincial government.

You can argue with everyone all you want, but the statistics all over the world prove that the more left-leaning the leaders are, the more broke, violent, and lawless the population is. And Sohi and company are jumping over each other to be as far left as possible.
Old 12-21-2023, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Sorry, but you are out to lunch on your posts in this thread.
I know you like to seize any opportunity to blame the provincial government for everything, but the city is 100% to blame for the homeless situation.
They only recently started cleaning up these disasters.
Allowing camps to exist for even a day contributes to the problem.
Not cleaning up the LRT contributes to the problem.
Driving citizens into poverty contributes to the problem.
Continuing to waste 100's of millions of dollars contributes to the problem.
Enabling druggies contributes to the problem.

A longstanding EPS officer recently told me that most of the homeless people he has interactions with are not even from here. They come here from other provinces and a lot from the US.
Why? Because we enable them.
We feed them, transport them, give them free drug paraphernalia, allow them to panhandle at intersections, defend them, and so on.

News flash.... They are not here for the weather.
They're here because we have given them the perfect environment to thrive in.
That has nothing to do with the provincial government.

You can argue with everyone all you want, but the statistics all over the world prove that the more left-leaning the leaders are, the more broke, violent, and lawless the population is. And Sohi and company are jumping over each other to be as far left as possible.
100% the phrase: “own worst enemy” comes to mind