Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-04-2015, 02:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdad013 View Post
So now you have sticks or stakes sticking up frozen into the ice. Big snowfall or driving at night, they are covered, your driving on on the ice hit one and puncture a tire, now who's liable.
edit mispost
Old 10-04-2015, 09:11 AM

You guys are over thinking this. Once you leave a hole drilled in the ice there is nothing linking it to you. The problem is with aeration since you have a piece of equipment sitting in the hole belonging to an owner. I take my kids ice fishing with 10 inch auger holes and they are fine. Sure if they fall in might get a little wet, but some of you guys make it sound like they will shoot below the ice and vanish. That's not how it works. People are pretty buoyant with all the gear on initially. Don't worry this is an old law someone decided to bring up because of an incident. It may end aeration but not ice fishing.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 10-04-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdad013 View Post
So now you have sticks or stakes sticking up frozen into the ice. Big snowfall or driving at night, they are covered, your driving on the ice hit one and puncture a tire, now who's liable.
Espescially if its late and ya now end up stranded there for the night ..i cant even believe this is a thing all the money wasted on stocking lakes and keeping them alive is down the drain ...and how about places like muir that they have been stocking and protecting for many years??
Old 10-05-2015, 07:01 PM

It's about time!! I've never understood the attraction of sitting out in the middle of a frozen lake, looking down a hole...
Old 10-05-2015, 10:18 PM

Worried about your kids falling into a 10" hole? Cut an 11" circle out of cardboard and see whether they fit through the hole - with or without a winter coat on - my 3 year old grandson won't fit wearing only a T shirt and shorts... vastly exaggerated concern IMHO.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPman View Post
Worried about your kids falling into a 10" hole? Cut an 11" circle out of cardboard and see whether they fit through the hole - with or without a winter coat on - my 3 year old grandson won't fit wearing only a T shirt and shorts... vastly exaggerated concern IMHO.
Which is why they dont enforce it for ice fishers. It has been established that this law goes way back, so what is the point? Aeration and netting holes are a different matter.

Also given that the law is on the books, Im quite sure it would mean possible liability for an accident in any case.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Guys,

You had better read section 263 (b).

You injure someone and again the law applies.

A friend told me that he broke a leg in falling into an unmarked hole.

Don
There are unmarked holes all over the forest. An 8 inch auger hole is sufficient for what you describe but the law has no defendant in an ice fishing auger hole accident. A lake can have hundreds of holes in it that are not yet or in the process of being filled in with ice. There are no ownership markings of any kind. Who gets charged or sued? An aeration is usually owned/operated by a person known..................therefore charges can be laid. Personally I would not like to see flagging tape and/or other markers on every auger hole in the ice..............wouldn't that look nice a week or so after season opening. I can only see one reasonable solution.............limit the size of a hole to 10 inches and leave it visible so that all can see it..........do not fill it in with snow (if won't freeze any faster and it is a visible hole).
Old 10-05-2015, 11:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
There are unmarked holes all over the forest. An 8 inch auger hole is sufficient for what you describe but the law has no defendant in an ice fishing auger hole accident. A lake can have hundreds of holes in it that are not yet or in the process of being filled in with ice. There are no ownership markings of any kind. Who gets charged or sued? An aeration is usually owned/operated by a person known..................therefore charges can be laid. Personally I would not like to see flagging tape and/or other markers on every auger hole in the ice..............wouldn't that look nice a week or so after season opening. I can only see one reasonable solution.............limit the size of a hole to 10 inches and leave it visible so that all can see it..........do not fill it in with snow (if won't freeze any faster and it is a visible hole).
It would depend on evidence/witnesses in any given case i suppose. In the vast majority of cases there would, like you said, be neither, which goes back to why they arent enforcing the law for ice fishermen. Im just saying if someone wanted to sue, and did have evidence (rare), they may have grounds.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:57 AM

Do you guys think it would be enforced for ice fishermen? Hardly.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:34 AM

Glad I only run a 6" hole.....lol

Dumb
Old 10-06-2015, 05:55 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Sometimes when I go ice fishing I see a lot of "ice holes"

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-06-2015, 10:07 AM

Did you see the new eskimo z91 14 inch auger?
Old 10-06-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbotman View Post
Don, was the person who made the hole charged?
How would you know who made the hole?Or do you have to mark every one like a bear bait?