Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-02-2017, 10:53 AM

Default FORTRESS LAKE , BC . ( warning , monster brookie pics!!)

Me and two of my buddies headed into Fortress Lake last week for 2 days of fishing. It had been 6 years since the last time I went in there . We had great weather , and we caught 135 trophy brook trout ! This epic adventure did not disappoint !! Biking , hiking , paddling , fishing , camping , northern lights , rafting down a remote stretch of river , catching the biggest brook trout of our lives on some flies I tied . We had numerous double headers and we even had one triple header !

Here are a few pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3617.jpg (31.6 KB, 1789 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3593.jpg (40.7 KB, 1663 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3620.jpg (38.0 KB, 1411 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3619.jpg (35.5 KB, 1386 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3618.jpg (40.4 KB, 1384 views)
Old 10-02-2017, 11:22 AM

So awesome! Great report. Those are really...really big brookies in those pics. That 2nd one is a giant. And, were you only shore fishing?

Thanks sounds like a truly amazing trip. Congrats!
Old 10-02-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
So awesome! Great report. Those are really...really big brookies in those pics. That 2nd one is a giant. And, were you only shore fishing?

Thanks sounds like a truly amazing trip. Congrats!
Thanks , it truely was an amazing trip ! I caught a couple from the packraft while we were paddling to the fishing location but mostly all of them were caught from shore. It is giant brook trout heaven.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:57 AM

Those are some great bruisers!!! Well done!
Old 10-02-2017, 12:29 PM

Glad you had a great ti,me. How was the River and Chaba crossing ?
Old 10-02-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
Glad you had a great ti,me. How was the River and Chaba crossing ?
Thanks ! The crossing was very minimal down current from the old bridge location . The chaba was only one channel, and we rafted down the chaba back to the crossing to our bikes. Very fun adventure !
Old 10-02-2017, 12:56 PM

Gorgeous fish. Thanks for sharing. Nothing prettier than the male brookies all dressed up for the ladies.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:22 PM

nice trout thanks for posting
Old 10-02-2017, 10:37 PM

Very nice. Those are big specs.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:06 AM

I heard that the bridge over the Athabasca river was gone. Is that true??? Or perhaps has it been fixed.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddydog View Post
I heard that the bridge over the Athabasca river was gone. Is that true??? Or perhaps has it been fixed.
You are correct. It's been gone for a few years, and I haven't heard any talk of it getting fixed.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:55 AM

Very Nice. Congrats! Looks like a great trip.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:47 PM

How was rafting the Chaba? I've hiked into fortress once in the past before the bridge was out and have often thought it would interesting to try get in there with a boat of some kind and raft out to somewhere upstream of Sunwapta? Has anyone tried this?
Old 10-27-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailraat View Post
How was rafting the Chaba? I've hiked into fortress once in the past before the bridge was out and have often thought it would interesting to try get in there with a boat of some kind and raft out to somewhere upstream of Sunwapta? Has anyone tried this?
We've canoed from Fortress(portaged to the Chaba)right out to Hwy 93. Another time we canoed from Big Bend campsite down to Hwy 93. It's a nice float, and the only sketchy spot for us was where the Sunwapta River joins the Athabasca. I've always wanted to snorkel/float the section between Big Bend and Sunwapta - just to see how many fish are really in there.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:47 PM

Those fish are awesome!
Old 10-29-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
We've canoed from Fortress(portaged to the Chaba)right out to Hwy 93. Another time we canoed from Big Bend campsite down to Hwy 93. It's a nice float, and the only sketchy spot for us was where the Sunwapta River joins the Athabasca. I've always wanted to snorkel/float the section between Big Bend and Sunwapta - just to see how many fish are really in there.
Can you explain what you mean by snorkel/float? Would you be taking a wet suit? Just never really heard of folks doing this, sounds cool though.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:05 PM

I'd really like to make this trip next fall but getting specific info is difficult. It could be dangerous and I don't want to take any stupid risks. I've PMed the OP to try and get some answers but figure I'll post here too since he hasn't got back to me.

The route as far as I can tell starts at Sunwapta. You can ride a bike from there to the crossing at the Athabasca. I assume you wade across the Athabasca and then hike south until you need to cross the Chaba. For the Chaba you need to wade across but depending on flows might have to use a tube (is that correct?).

For the lake itself it seems like you can only really hike along the north shore about half way and there are a couple primitive camp sites along the way.

On the way back you can just put your tube in the water and float with the current back to the Athabasca crossing, grab your bike and ride back. Right?

In terms of gear, do folks bother bringing tents or just sleeping bags? I'm just trying to figure out how much gear one needs to haul in. I figured the essentials would be as follows:
  • float tube/pack raft
  • waders & fins
  • micro tent
  • sleeping bag good to -20
  • small butane stove
  • dehydrated food packs
  • small metal container for heating water/eating

Is the best time to go in October, or is spring also a reasonable bet too? Is a pack raft preferable to a float tube?

Last question: has anyone ever done this during the winter? The BC Parks website says you can access the lake via ski or snowshoe in the winter. Sounds a bit crazy to me but it would also be an amazing adventure. I'd still wonder how you cross the rivers though. I'd assume they don't freeze well enough to safely cross.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemoredog View Post
Can you explain what you mean by snorkel/float? Would you be taking a wet suit? Just never really heard of folks doing this, sounds cool though.
I was thinking snorkelling with a dry suit and maybe a boogie board. There used to be a company in Campbell River that would take you snorkelling on the river there during the salmon run. I used to spend a lot of time fishing between the Chaba confluence and Sunwapta confluence on the Athabasca River, and always wanted to see what was lurking underneath the surface. That section of river, is fairly flat, with a decent enough current to float along.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemoredog View Post
I'd really like to make this trip next fall but getting specific info is difficult. It could be dangerous and I don't want to take any stupid risks. I've PMed the OP to try and get some answers but figure I'll post here too since he hasn't got back to me.

The route as far as I can tell starts at Sunwapta. You can ride a bike from there to the crossing at the Athabasca. I assume you wade across the Athabasca and then hike south until you need to cross the Chaba. For the Chaba you need to wade across but depending on flows might have to use a tube (is that correct?).

For the lake itself it seems like you can only really hike along the north shore about half way and there are a couple primitive camp sites along the way.

On the way back you can just put your tube in the water and float with the current back to the Athabasca crossing, grab your bike and ride back. Right?

In terms of gear, do folks bother bringing tents or just sleeping bags? I'm just trying to figure out how much gear one needs to haul in. I figured the essentials would be as follows:
  • float tube/pack raft
  • waders & fins
  • micro tent
  • sleeping bag good to -20
  • small butane stove
  • dehydrated food packs
  • small metal container for heating water/eating

Is the best time to go in October, or is spring also a reasonable bet too? Is a pack raft preferable to a float tube?

Last question: has anyone ever done this during the winter? The BC Parks website says you can access the lake via ski or snowshoe in the winter. Sounds a bit crazy to me but it would also be an amazing adventure. I'd still wonder how you cross the rivers though. I'd assume they don't freeze well enough to safely cross.
Yes, you start at Sunwapta Falls parking lot, and bike the 15 kms to Athabasca Crossing. It's slightly downhill for the first 7 km, and then basically it's pretty level on a good, wide trail. Once you ford the Athabasca, it's another 8 Km to the east end of Fortress Lake, with the Chaba ford just before you get to the lake. This 8 km section of trail is a lot bumpier and not worth biking if you have a heavy pack or trailer.
I would suggest late May or September to avoid the highest water levels. I've always waded across, except for the time that we helicoptered in canoes. Ice is usually off the lake by the end of May.
I always stayed at the BC Parks cabin, as we were doing work for them, and we used to rent boats/motors from the lodge. I'm pretty sure that is no longer an option.(different owners back then)
You are correct, the trail is only along the north shore, and may go as far as Washout Creek, midway down the lake, across from the lodge.
If you use a pack raft, you could raft all the way back to your bike, or all the way back to Hwy 93 if you didn't bike in.
I have friends that have done the trip in the winter, and there are lots of places that you can ski across the river. It might even be better to ski along the river instead of the trail. You would need an ice auger once you get to the lake. Check the fishing regs, as I haven't fished there in a long time, and am not sure if it is open year round.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:19 AM

The bridge is on the radar for parks to have completed by the end of 2019.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:52 PM

Thanks Bull. Not sure I'd be ready to do it this winter, probably stick to some shorter hike in lakes for the season. definitely on the to do list for next spring or fall though. It honestly doesn't look too bad given that you can bike part of the way in. Hardest part will be smartly packing all the necessities I think.

2019 is still a bit out, but at least it's getting fixed. great news.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:52 AM

Epic trip!

Did this a few years back and portaged a canoe to the Athabasca crossing. Water levels were super high and the confluence with the sunwapta on the way out was more than a little sketchy!

Caught 50 fish in a day but never any this big. Stayed at the lodge, was expensive but fun to bomb around the lake in a boat. We were the only people on the whole lake.

First ice on this lake would be unreal and on the to do list. Perhaps in the near future.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
The bridge is on the radar for parks to have completed by the end of 2019.
That's great news McLeod! That's the first I've heard of that , that's awesome!
Old 12-30-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendmethem View Post
Epic trip!

Did this a few years back and portaged a canoe to the Athabasca crossing. Water levels were super high and the confluence with the sunwapta on the way out was more than a little sketchy!

Caught 50 fish in a day but never any this big. Stayed at the lodge, was expensive but fun to bomb around the lake in a boat. We were the only people on the whole lake.

First ice on this lake would be unreal and on the to do list. Perhaps in the near future.

That sounds like an adventure ! Haha I've rafted that stretch in a 4man raft, but never in a canoe ! I bet it was sketchy! This must have been when they still offered the hike and stay package !? Do you remember what they charged you per day?!
Old 12-30-2017, 01:55 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Epic fishing and beauty country.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-30-2017, 11:45 PM

Thanks for the great pics an inspiration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bluZebec View Post
Thanks for the great pics an inspiration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem ! I still can't believe the bridge is actually on parks canadas radar for the end of 2019 , that's great news !
Old 05-08-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heff View Post
No problem ! I still can't believe the bridge is actually on parks canadas radar for the end of 2019 , that's great news !
According to the Hamber Provincial park site ... it doesn't seem to be on the radar there.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...arkpgs/hamber/

"no estimated time for repair"

That guess that doesn't mean its not on the radar, just means its not in the works yet I would guess??
Old 05-10-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
How was the portage to fortress? I want to haul my kayak up there this summer on a cart but I have not walked the boat that far before nor been on the trail. How long was the portage? And how was coming back on the river? The pics of those trout would make any long trek worth it.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runamuk View Post
How was the portage to fortress? I want to haul my kayak up there this summer on a cart but I have not walked the boat that far before nor been on the trail. How long was the portage? And how was coming back on the river? The pics of those trout would make any long trek worth it.
It's about a 25 km portage, with 2 river crossings! The first 15 is pretty good - I think they took vehicles in at one point, back in the day. After Athabasca Crossing, it's more of a side hill root and rock romp. The last stretch from Chaba to the lake is flat ground and decent trail(maybe 2 km). Coming back on the river would be no problem for someone with experience and a river kayak. I wouldn't even think of it using a sea kayak. The Chaba section can be pretty shallow in places, depending when you go. The section between Chaba/Athabasca confluence and Athabasca/Sunwapta confluence is fairly flat water with gentle flow(and decent fishing). Once the Sunwapta empties in to the Athabasca, it gets a little more technical, and maybe 3 or 4 km until it meets Hwy 93.
I really need to dig out my slides and scan a bunch so that I can post them. We caught several brookies around 6 pounds, and saw larger ones spawning in the outlet.