Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2018, 01:26 PM

Default Strange happenings in the woods.

Was reading the UFO thread and one guy was hinting about what he had experienced while up in the mountains on a sheep hunt. Reminded me of a old thread of spooky experiences guys have had while in the outdoors. Was such a fun creepy read, it's time to resurrect it.
Lets go guys and gals, what have you experienced??

BH

Old 03-15-2018, 01:34 PM

Great idea, the old thread was awesome.

Always seemed to read a bunch of it before solo camping/hunting trips though...
Old 03-15-2018, 02:00 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...Strange+things
Old 03-15-2018, 02:03 PM

Default Creepy

I had a buddy years ago that would sleep in his truck alone overnight in the woods while hunting. He said he would take scary books to read to pass the time after sunset. That's creepy.
kidd
Old 03-15-2018, 02:34 PM

Happened when I still lived in Europe, nearly 30 years ago, went out night fishing with a friend and suddenly we heard some weird noises in the bush behind us. First we didn't think much of it and just thought it was an animal, checked with a flashlight, nothing.
A little later we suddenly hear huffing and puffing and some sort of moaning. Again checked with the light and nothing, sounds stopped.
Some minutes later it happened again and we went closer to the bush without the light until we got really close, the moaning got louder and louder and on goes the light, only to see nothing again.
Just when we thought there might be a pervert ghost we noticed some rustling on the ground, moved a few dead leaves and found two hedgehogs mating.
Turns out that despite being small as a coconut they can make plenty of noise like humans when banging it out
Old 03-15-2018, 03:20 PM

Grizzly in the caribou camp electric fence at 0 dark 3:30 — wakes you up for the rest of the night.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodHound70 View Post
Was reading the UFO thread and one guy was hinting about what he had experienced while up in the mountains on a sheep hunt. Reminded me of a old thread of spooky experiences guys have had while in the outdoors. Was such a fun creepy read, it's time to resurrect it.
Lets go guys and gals, what have you experienced??

BH
Tell the Ouija board story!!
Old 03-15-2018, 04:36 PM

Dropped a buddy off on a quad way in the back bush so he could hike a ways into a spot he’d been scouting. Agreed to meet back there after last light to give him a lift back to camp.

I arrived back just after sundown, sitting and waiting. Got dark damn quick. Every so often I’d put the quad lights on for a minute or two then off so I wouldn’t kill the battery and was getting low on fuel.
A few times I heard some cracking in the woods, I’d give his name a shout.

Just as the first worried thought popped in my head I turned the lights on and there the jerk was not 10 feet in front of me, rifle cradled. Near soiled myself. Asked why he didn’t yell to me or anything, he shrugged said didn’t think I was this far up the trail yet. Forgot his flashlight lol. He didn’t see me either, he probably would have rammed his knee on the winch.

The pitch dark woods can play with your head when sitting alone lol

Not really a ghost story, but that was about as spooky as it got, sitting out there that night. Then without a sound boom a guy right there close enough to light my cigarette lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2018, 04:53 PM

Years ago, a hunting buddy and I were drinking a few wobblies in the basement suite that I was renting in the Lower Mainland and he decided to impress me with how much he had perfected his: "Lonely Cow Moose" call. Anyways, two days later the Lady who was living above me catches me as I'm getting home from work and she asked me if I had been hearing any strange noises at night. (She swore that the house was haunted anyways) When she described what they sounded like and that it was two nights earlier, I knew what was up!

I was generally a very courteous neighbor but she didn't care too much about wearing heals on the wooden floors, having drunken hen parties on weeknights, etc. Well, I decided to work on my own moose call every now and then at sporadic times throughout the night. Sometimes two nights in a row, sometimes weeks in between. I never did tell her it was me. She's probably on some forum right now talking about the "eerie, haunting sounds" she would hear at odd hours of the night coming from within the walls of the old haunted house she rented in New Westminster in the 90's!!! Ha ha!!!
Old 03-15-2018, 07:16 PM

An odd thing that happened to me one time...

I was fishing a remote part of the Red Deer river and was walking back to my vehicle.. about 3 miles to the road. I was pondering being single and quietly said to myself, " Well God, will I ever meet a good woman? Just give me a sign."
I look up from the ground and lo and behold there is a woman running towards me. I thought "Wow, now that's a sure sign."

Turns out the woman was out running her dog. We both had a chuckle when I told her of my godly question. Unfortunately she was married. Darn! I was so sure.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-15-2018, 07:59 PM

Default Alright, I'll bite..

Winter of 1965, northern Alberta, clearing an airstrip and some access road with a D8 working doubles and a D6 working days. Small crew of about 6 or 7 (including labourers), just a kitchen and a sleeper on wheels.

After supper, (D8 already out on night shift about a mile away), we came out of the kitchen to see a considerable fire down a cutline - about 90 degrees off from where the D8 was working. We were the only guys out there, not another soul for many miles except maybe a trapper.

I and a labourer jumped on the D6 and set off to investigate. After snowplowing and bucking willows and windfalls for a mile or so, we got into a bunch of old detours in a creek bottom. Suddenly the headlights began to flicker, sort of waver like a candle in the wind, and then they went out. We dug out a flashlight, and couldn't find anything wrong - but after a few minutes, they began to flicker again and came back on as per normal.

Once we got out of the creek bottom, the fire was nowhere to be seen. We plowed another half mile or so, but it was getting pretty late so finally gave up and went back to camp.

I the morning the D8 night shift guy came in and said we'd better check out the lights - he'd stopped to pour himself a coffee, and his lights did exactly what ours had done, and as near as we could figure, at the same time.

We then drove to nearby forestry tower (closed for the winter), climbed up to the cupola for a look around, and could see no smoke or evidence of a fire. Called the nearest airport to see if any aircraft were missing, but none were reported. Checked the nearest trappers cabin a few miles away (a guy we all knew) but it was fine, and snowed in.

During our snowplowing we did appear to be getting gradually closer, but the fire was still 'not close'. We were not chasing Venus; the fire rose and fell, and was obviously flames - the red/orange colour of a normal wood or fuel fire. It was right down the cutline, and never shifted left or right.

We all, except the D8 operator, saw the fire. After we left with the D6 the others went back inside (it was damn cold) and didn't see the fire 'disappear'. We never did figure out what it was.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldan Grumpi View Post
Winter of 1965, northern Alberta, clearing an airstrip and some access road with a D8 working doubles and a D6 working days. Small crew of about 6 or 7 (including labourers), just a kitchen and a sleeper on wheels.

After supper, (D8 already out on night shift about a mile away), we came out of the kitchen to see a considerable fire down a cutline - about 90 degrees off from where the D8 was working. We were the only guys out there, not another soul for many miles except maybe a trapper.

I and a labourer jumped on the D6 and set off to investigate. After snowplowing and bucking willows and windfalls for a mile or so, we got into a bunch of old detours in a creek bottom. Suddenly the headlights began to flicker, sort of waver like a candle in the wind, and then they went out. We dug out a flashlight, and couldn't find anything wrong - but after a few minutes, they began to flicker again and came back on as per normal.

Once we got out of the creek bottom, the fire was nowhere to be seen. We plowed another half mile or so, but it was getting pretty late so finally gave up and went back to camp.

I the morning the D8 night shift guy came in and said we'd better check out the lights - he'd stopped to pour himself a coffee, and his lights did exactly what ours had done, and as near as we could figure, at the same time.

We then drove to nearby forestry tower (closed for the winter), climbed up to the cupola for a look around, and could see no smoke or evidence of a fire. Called the nearest airport to see if any aircraft were missing, but none were reported. Checked the nearest trappers cabin a few miles away (a guy we all knew) but it was fine, and snowed in.

During our snowplowing we did appear to be getting gradually closer, but the fire was still 'not close'. We were not chasing Venus; the fire rose and fell, and was obviously flames - the red/orange colour of a normal wood or fuel fire. It was right down the cutline, and never shifted left or right.

We all, except the D8 operator, saw the fire. After we left with the D6 the others went back inside (it was damn cold) and didn't see the fire 'disappear'. We never did figure out what it was.
Moses and the burning bush???
Old 03-15-2018, 08:27 PM

I was like maybe 7 or 8 years old. We went to some sort of function (picnic or day trip) with about, I'd say, like another 30-40 families in this mixed prairie parkland kind of thing.

There were a couple small (maybe acre or two) wooded areas where we kids were running around and playing.

I was tearing through the woods going down a path and almost ran into a lady who was in full squat passing a poo right in the middle of the path. Full brakes ...... almost fell over her ..... and ..... there I was virtually standing right on top her as I watch the rest of the poo drop to the ground. If I had been a foot closer she would have dropped it right on my toes.

I was stunned ..... She was surprised (and probably embarrassed). We just looked at each other for a minute not sure what to do. So .... I said "Hello" ..... the lady said "Hi" back and I promptly turned and ran back the way I came.

I made sure to steer away from that fresh landmine as my literal proximity to the offending poop, in some way, may associate me with this poo.

It was literally years and years before I ever told that story - not sure I was traumatised, embarrassed or what .... but I still laugh to this day when thinking about how freaking silly that "pleasant exchange" of greetings was.

Last edited by EZM; 03-15-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:54 PM

My grandmother passed in July 2003, she had several strokes in the last month's of her life, and as a result her right side was paralyzed, could only smile with the left side of her face, could only move her left hand, could hardly speak clear enough to understand.
She stayed in our house for the last few months and was in a coma the last couple weeks.
But then one evening about 8:00 she suddenly woke and called out to my aunt, (her youngest daughter) and she sat up in bed and proceeded to tell her that Jesus was standing by the bed, my aunt of course couldn't see him, but grandma was telling her that he's right there! And she pointed with her right hand (the one that hadn't been able to move) and insisted that he's standing right beside her bed! Then she lay back down and got a beautiful smile across her entire face, not just the left side.
And that's how she stayed, the smile never left her face.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:22 PM

A little over 10 years ago my whole family went to Whitehorse to spread my dad's ashes. Were all standing on the Schwatka bridge taking turns tossing dads ashes. When it's my mothers turns she goes "Well honey this is going to be the best blow job you ever had". She takes out a hand full of ashes and lays them on her open hand. She blows hard and the ashes start to fly away. It was kinda majestic the way they floated away in the wind. When the majority of the ashes were about 10 feet away the the wind suddenly changed. All the ashes came crashing back at a considerable speed. My mother got covered! It was more of a funny moment but it makes you wonder. The old man was probably thinking "I lived my life with you getting the last word, not this time honey!"
Old 03-15-2018, 09:26 PM

About 8 yrs ago I took my son bowhunting SE of Edmonton. We hunted till dark, uneventful. Walked out on an unused road about half a mile to our truck and went home. Decided to go back to the same spot in the AM - planned to get in early before light. We parked the truck in the same spot in the AM and walked the half mile in the dark. When we got to where the road ended in the bush it was barely getting light. There was a car, with frosted up windows like it had been there all night. I heard a door slam, or maybe the trunk. A really tall guy with sunken in cheeks came around the car and looked really surprised to see us. He had no weapon for hunting and looked guilty as *$@k. He started that frosted up car and buggered off. I'm sure he was up to no good in those woods, but I don't know for sure. I called the cops when I got home but they seemed to think I was an idiot.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
About 8 yrs ago I took my son bowhunting SE of Edmonton. We hunted till dark, uneventful. Walked out on an unused road about half a mile to our truck and went home. Decided to go back to the same spot in the AM - planned to get in early before light. We parked the truck in the same spot in the AM and walked the half mile in the dark. When we got to where the road ended in the bush it was barely getting light. There was a car, with frosted up windows like it had been there all night. I heard a door slam, or maybe the trunk. A really tall guy with sunken in cheeks came around the car and looked really surprised to see us. He had no weapon for hunting and looked guilty as *$@k. He started that frosted up car and buggered off. I'm sure he was up to no good in those woods, but I don't know for sure. I called the cops when I got home but they seemed to think I was an idiot.
Probably burying a body (or scouting for a place to).

That would be freaky.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
My grandmother passed in July 2003, she had several strokes in the last month's of her life, and as a result her right side was paralyzed, could only smile with the left side of her face, could only move her left hand, could hardly speak clear enough to understand.
She stayed in our house for the last few months and was in a coma the last couple weeks.
But then one evening about 8:00 she suddenly woke and called out to my aunt, (her youngest daughter) and she sat up in bed and proceeded to tell her that Jesus was standing by the bed, my aunt of course couldn't see him, but grandma was telling her that he's right there! And she pointed with her right hand (the one that hadn't been able to move) and insisted that he's standing right beside her bed! Then she lay back down and got a beautiful smile across her entire face, not just the left side.
Very interesting story
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Very interesting story
Very beautiful story.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I was like maybe 7 or 8 years old. We went to some sort of function (picnic or day trip) with about, I'd say, like another 30-40 families in this mixed prairie parkland kind of thing.

There were a couple small (maybe acre or two) wooded areas where we kids were running around and playing.

I was tearing through the woods going down a path and almost ran into a lady who was in full squat passing a poo right in the middle of the path. Full brakes ...... almost fell over her ..... and ..... there I was virtually standing right on top her as I watch the rest of the poo drop to the ground. If I had been a foot closer she would have dropped it right on my toes.

I was stunned ..... She was surprised (and probably embarrassed). We just looked at each other for a minute not sure what to do. So .... I said "Hello" ..... the lady said "Hi" back and I promptly turned and ran back the way I came.

I made sure to steer away from that fresh landmine as my literal proximity to the offending poop, in some way, may associate me with this poo.

It was literally years and years before I ever told that story - not sure I was traumatised, embarrassed or what .... but I still laugh to this day when thinking about how freaking silly that "pleasant exchange" of greetings was.
I guess she never read the book (How to chit in the woods)
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Very beautiful story.
Yes I would have to agree, a beautiful story.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
He was there, He's here now!

Great story in particular though many here are great, as was the thread mentioned in the OP. I don't really have all that much of interest to share, just some easily explainable stuff like wildlife or folks conducting weird doings or screaming about. All easily explained stuff.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:25 PM

Default Strange happenings

About 60 years ago I was visiting my grandfather along with my dad.Dad and grandfather were inside playing checkers, the sun had gone down and gotten dark and I was on the back step alone and to make matters even more spooky grandfather lived right beside a graveyard.As I turned away from looking towards the graveyard I looked upon the porch roof and there were two blazing eyes ,I ran in the house because it scared the hell out of me.Course I didn't want to upset the checker players with a dumb story like that,so I just kept it to myself knowing that there had to be a logical explanation. My first thought was maybe it was the devil,or maybe it was a cat,the eyes were about two feet from the roof,and after all this time it came to me that it had to be Great Horned Owl .At least that's what I believe lol.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:44 PM

Not sure what it was but it has happened on a few different occasions over a few different years but while sleeping in the tent in a remote hunting camp it sounds like something whacking about a 2” tree on another tree just outside our tent. As soon as we would make any noise or move inside the tent it would stop. May not here it again for a few nights or until the following year.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:39 PM

Maybe 16 yrs old went to bed in a friends basement in the city. Woke and noticed a blue dot of light dropping from the basement window well towards the floor. This was repeated several times and I was wide awake and getting scared...but said nothing. About 40 years later, I noticed a couple of “floaters” in my left eye and finally connected the dots. Guess I was getting a bit of the blue end of the spectrum from a street light and the floater made it appear to move.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:12 AM

I once went to bed in my boxers and woke up in my Carhartts with my shirt backwards.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:24 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Sitting in a tree stand, October, leaves on the ground, slight breeze, bow in hand...all went dead quite, no wind, no birds, chill ran up my spine....sat still...then heard running through the leaves from 30 yards out, right past my stand and away....breeze picked up, birds started chirping...I saw nothing run by.
Walk out that night after sunset was a long tense walk....told my son the story many ears later if this happens when your on stand...just sit still.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-17-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Sitting in a tree stand, October, leaves on the ground, slight breeze, bow in hand...all went dead quite, no wind, no birds, chill ran up my spine....sat still...then heard running through the leaves from 30 yards out, right past my stand and away....breeze picked up, birds started chirping...I saw nothing run by.
Walk out that night after sunset was a long tense walk....told my son the story many ears later if this happens when your on stand...just sit still.
Wendigo
Old 03-17-2018, 11:42 AM

Thought I saw a restless sasquatch trying to sun himself in the middle of a mountain clearing once but when I got closer I realized it was a couple in a brown sleeping bag doing the beast with two backs.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:07 AM

I was Elk hunting with a buddy and his 2 kids a few years back NW of Spirit River. We were staked out at some land that we had permission on which was at the end of a dead end road and I was 2 sections back from the road tucked up behind a nice round bail with great sight lines to where all the traffic seemed to be (nothing beyond this chunk of field for miles but bush). My buddy and his son were in a different spot than I was, but watching the same general area. About 5 minutes left of legal light a older guy walks out of the corner of the bush as if he's out for a Sunday stroll, not carrying a gun or anything. He walks within about 30yrds from me, looks right at me and says "ELk are going to see ya", and keeps walking without breaking stride. My buddy saw him as well, and took after him to find out who he was as we were the only guys who had permission on that property. My buddy was yelling at him to stop, but the old guy never broke stride, hopped a fence as if it wasn't even there, and walked right back into the bush and was gone. We described the guy to the landowner (older gent maybe late 60's early 70's, tall, slim, wearing a very distinct hat, glasses, and a dark lumberjack type jacket with a vest over top) and he had no idea who it could have been and we never found any vehicle or anything around the area. It was pitch black within 10 minutes after this all happened and this guy would have been miles from any other clearing. It was all very creepy.

Fast forward a few months after when I was talking to a friend of mine about what happened. He just stared at me kind of shocked. He said he had never told me about what had happened to him about 10 years prior. He was up in the Yukon sheep hunting with another guy and were a very long ways into the mountain range checking out some sheep. He said that the sheep had moved around where they couldn't see them anymore, so they decided to move. As they got up to move there was this old guy walking along the side of the mountain maybe 40-50yrds away not carrying a gun or anything as if out for a walk. The old guy stopped for a second and said "Sheep Hunting hey!" turned and continued walking disappearing out of sight. I asked what he looked like, as I hadn't told him a description when I told my story, and he described the same guy to a T right down to the glasses. We were both freaked right out. Guess it took the old guy 10 years to walk from the Yukon to Spirit River....................

BH

Last edited by BloodHound70; 03-19-2018 at 06:13 AM.