Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-05-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
No see as usual you were not making a point. Because there is nothing funny about the situation. but you can continue as you are...
Yes, you do not see it, no problem. The point i was trying to make was there were not many fish caught OK. Was that better?
Old 11-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Yes, you do not see it, no problem. The point i was trying to make was there were not many fish caught OK. Was that better?
And that matters in what way???????
Old 11-05-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
To add to this.....This is why I dont like the boundaries of this closure.....the boundaries donot encompass the pre or post areas.
You either care for these fish.....ALL IN....or why bother.
If srd has said the fall tests nets are not good and changes need to be made.....shouldnt we do all we can?
But i can definitly see why every one is resisting, when Nate a tournament angler says our Bio has told him differently and the comment goes against what the SAWT president even said at the meeting

To add to this......i am backing all my comments on a public meeting that provided me with a sheet of the important points and what the participants of this Public meeting has to say. So there is witnesses and a paper trail.

I am not making any......i heard so and so...or i heard this ...or i heard that....from who or whoever, comments.

Anyone has the freedom to post whatever they want...especially based on the the fact this is now the 3rd thread concerning this issue. Wether you attended the meeting or not the discussion has opened the issue up for many people to make educated comments or suggestions, based solely on the threads.

Based on Nate's comment and what Terry Clayton said pubically along with his info sheet...which completely contradicts Nate's comment....i suggest some one is either misinformed or down right blowing gas.

I will in fact be emailing Mr. Clayton with quotes to try and reveal his true beliefs on the matter.
If he does truely believe Nates comment......then we have a whole new issue why this reg change is being done and what is the backing force behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Terry Clayton has mentioned to people that he doesn't believe that it is a major spawning area and more of a feeding area.

He has said that it is to silted in to be a solid walleye spawning area.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Anyone know how the fishing was during the last two tournaments at Travers? Were the fish really pounded in the post spawn? Was there horrific damage done. Doubtful. Cant really say for sure last year, but the year before there wasnt even a whole lot of fish caught by guys that can really catch fish!

And yes there are other spawning areas.

I dont have a problem protecting the fish if they need it. And Im not convinced that they need the protection some on here are suggesting.

I have been around awhile, both in tournaments and recreational fishing. Fishing in the spring does impact the fishing but show me some evidence that they are in trouble or even heading for trouble.
I will research the info the best i can concerning your TEST question of catch numbers.
I will make a educated quess that a large majority of fish were caught inside the boundaries im suggesting.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Terry Clayton has mentioned to people that he doesn't believe that it is a major spawning area and more of a feeding area.

He has said that it is to silted in to be a solid walleye spawning area.

Nate....is there a paper trail to this comment.
Also...Brian Eberts said at the meeting the west arm is the ONLY spawning area for the Travers fish, which makes it MAJOR....So i must ask, Who do you believe is correct....the president of SAWT or the Head Bio for Travers- if what you posted is legit about his claim.

Where do you believe they spawn?
Old 11-05-2011, 07:39 PM

as posted by troutmountain
Travers Reservoir and Little Bow River Open – May 8 – Mar 15 Open June 1 – Mar 15 Walleye spawn at the mouth and lower reaches of the Little Bow River upstream of Travers Reservoir, and stage at the west end of Travers. In cooler springs, walleye spawning doesn’t start until early May. The conservation closure is to protect fish spawning in the spring.

The above is a post from the below link

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=109192

as written on the info sheet provided at the meeting provided by Our Head Bio

Existing Regulation: Open May 8 to Mar 15
Proposed Regulation: Open May 23 to Mar 15
Explaination/rationale: Walleye spawn at the mouth and lower reaches of the Little Bow River upstream of Travers Resovoir, and stage at the west end of Travers. In cooler springs, walleye spawing doesnt commence until early May and extends past May 8. This includes the Little Bow River up to the Carmangay Weir. This closure is to protect spring spawning fish.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Travers Reservoir and Little Bow River Open – May 8 – Mar 15 Open June 1 – Mar 15 Walleye spawn at the mouth and lower reaches of the Little Bow River upstream of Travers Reservoir, and stage at the west end of Travers. In cooler springs, walleye spawning doesn’t start until early May. The conservation closure is to protect fish spawning in the spring.

Explaination/rationale: Walleye spawn at the mouth and lower reaches of the Little Bow River upstream of Travers Resovoir, and stage at the west end of Travers. In cooler springs, walleye spawing doesnt commence until early May and extends past May 8. This includes the Little Bow River up to the Carmangay Weir. This closure is to protect spring spawning fish.

To further add to the above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseshoe View Post
I went to the meeting about this closure of the west arm at Travers Reservoir. I can confirm that the west arm will be closed until June 1st, 100 hundred yards west of the dock. As discussed in the meeting, the dock and main lake will be open May 8th (Keeping this open for families & kids to fish off the dock.) Thanks to Walleye Unlimited for support on this closure on the west arm (to help with the spawning).
Old 11-05-2011, 08:24 PM

how does a person go about getting the results of the test netting? does that become public info?
Old 11-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl2 View Post
how does a person go about getting the results of the test netting? does that become public info?
It should be public info, where you can find it and when they publish it is a whole other topic though. In sask they post the results of their test netting on the government website.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Nate....is there a paper trail to this comment.
Also...Brian Eberts said at the meeting the west arm is the ONLY spawning area for the Travers fish, which makes it MAJOR....So i must ask, Who do you believe is correct....the president of SAWT or the Head Bio for Travers- if what you posted is legit about his claim.

Where do you believe they spawn?
I don't appreciate people writing things that I did not say "the west arm is the ONLY spawing area".

You know as well chubbdarter the east end rock pile is another important spawning area, why hasn't that been brought to the surface. There are alot more spawning areas on this reservoir which have not even been mentioned.

For people who are using my real name, I do not answer you by your first names. Do you want me to start writing your names with your handle name online?

For everyone who has been discussing this topic, is welcome to attend the next meeting on Nov 16, 7:00pm at the Canoe Club in Calgary for Walleye Unlimited. Memberships can be purchased at the door prior to the meeting. There will also be an election for the following new positions: President, Vice President, Secretary, Liason and Membership Coordinator.
I'd like to give a special THANKS to all the volunteers (members and non-members) who have come out to help with the Calgary Sportsman Show Minnow Races, The Crawling Valley & Lake Newell Fish Signage project, and the annual Calgary Boys & Girls Club fishing Day.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by chubbdarter

To further add to the above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseshoe
I went to the meeting about this closure of the west arm at Travers Reservoir. I can confirm that the west arm will be closed until June 1st, 100 hundred yards west of the dock. As discussed in the meeting, the dock and main lake will be open May 8th (Keeping this open for families & kids to fish off the dock.) Thanks to Walleye Unlimited for support on this closure on the west arm (to help with the spawning).

And to futher add to the above again

QUOTE=npauls;1147014]Terry Clayton has mentioned to people that he doesn't believe that it is a major spawning area and more of a feeding area.

He has said that it is to silted in to be a solid walleye spawning area.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-05-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I don't appreciate people writing things that I did not say "the west arm is the ONLY spawing area".

You know as well chubbdarter the east end rock pile is another important spawning area, why hasn't that been brought to the surface. There are alot more spawning areas on this reservoir which have not even been mentioned.

For people who are using my real name, I do not answer you by your first names. Do you want me to start writing your names with your handle name online?

For everyone who has been discussing this topic, is welcome to attend the next meeting on Nov 16, 7:00pm at the Canoe Club in Calgary for Walleye Unlimited. Memberships can be purchased at the door prior to the meeting. There will also be an election for the following new positions: President, Vice President, Secretary, Liason and Membership Coordinator.
I'd like to give a special THANKS to all the volunteers (members and non-members) who have come out to help with the Calgary Sportsman Show Minnow Races, The Crawling Valley & Lake Newell Fish Signage project, and the annual Calgary Boys & Girls Club fishing Day.

I addressed you by your name as you confirmed this in the below post you made. I never addressed you that way till others who have sided with you have done long before i did.....if that offends you i apologize. Because of your below post CSI was not called in

Quote:
Walleye Unlimited has been working for 2-3 years on getting this closure on the west arm. We have successfully met our goal. Everyone who does fish Travers should be pleased with this closure, AS WE DIDN'T HAVE IT BEFORE. As to where the boundaries should be, not everyone is going to agree.

As far as myself being the President of Walleye Unlimited and SAWT, please be advised that I have resigned from the Walleye Unlimited in September but the website has not been updated (as these are all volunteer positions).

FOR THE SAWT, WE ARE PLEASED TO HEAR THAT THE WEST ARM WILL BE CLOSED TILL JUNE 1ST.

I see alot of people who like to voice their opinion and complain but when it comes to volunteering for any events or stepping up for positions, I don't see anybody.

Well Horseshoe i must of been misunderstood you at the meeting on what you said, i have checked with others in attendance on what you said but will let it slide......im sure I told you where they spawn and if you like we could discuss more in private and exchange gps waypoints on where these spawn sites are.....thank you

Last edited by chubbdarter; 11-05-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:17 PM

No thanks, I'm sure you didn't tell me where the spawning locations were as I knew years ago through Hogslayer and Rugrat.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Horseshoe;1143598]

As far as myself being the President of Walleye Unlimited and SAWT, please be advised that I have resigned from the Walleye Unlimited in September but the website has not been updated (as these are all volunteer positions).

]

Quote:

I don't think you can complain about someone using your real name on here you were the one that brought it out first with your statement As far as myself being the President of Walleye Unlimited and SAWT It is then easy to know your name. From there on you were called Brian Eberts in reference to you being the president of WU and SAWT not in a reference to HORSESHOE. YOU are the only one that connected the two names. So I would reconsider your threat..
Old 11-05-2011, 09:22 PM

I reread the entire thread and found too many posts that referred to you as your real name Long before i posted it, including you.
But i understand that its allowed from people who only agree with you...therefore i am wrong and apologize for using your name.....you will from this point forward be known to me as Horseshoe....again im sorry
Old 11-05-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:

i do apologize Horseshoe. however, no one asked you to reveal your identity as you did so earlier in this thread. then several other members addressed you by name, prior to my second post. as stated in one of my earlier posts, seems many of the guys posting on this thread knew who you were to begin with. feel free to call me Dace, everyone else does.

Quote:
As far as myself being the President of Walleye Unlimited and SAWT
Old 11-05-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Isnt the fact that SRD seeks a regulation change enough proof.
Would SRD try and regulate lesser spawning areas?
I have a info sheet handed to me at the claresholm meeting from SRD which confirms this is a important area of interest that needs attention.
Chubb
I would have to say no, they also said there was no fish in LBR..lol
Old 11-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
Chubb
So you are saying the SRD are incompetent then?
Old 11-05-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Chubb

Yup....im sure confussed about alot of things Gramps.
I cant find test net results and i cant find the scientific data on anything, i have my own personal concerns. But im just a fisherman.....i'd like to see the SRD's facts..other than what is said at meetings.
The comment Nate posted has me reeling in disbelief on why our Bio would say that.

I want it clear that im on a fact finding mission and not to linch anyone, sadly in order to find the answers alot of rocks need to be turned over. Some people are taking it as personal attacks and im sorry for that.

Prior to that meeting it took days for me to decide what i would say and not say. Because we all know info can be used in a bad way also.....i just want the best for the lake and its fish.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
So you are saying the SRD are incompetent then?
No, I never said that at all.
I guess if you would have been at the meeting you would know what i was talking about but you are just commenting on second hand information.
Could you also post where you found the information on the web because I can not find it.
Thanks
Old 11-05-2011, 09:51 PM

The comment I made was told to me by a few walleye fishermen that have talked to Terry Clayton and asked him quite a few questions. I don't know how long ago it was said either and if they have come across new information about it being a spawning area which has caused them to have a change in what needs to be done.

I can't say they are true or false but the people that have told me this really have no reason to lie about anything like that.

As for spawning areas in Travers. I am not to sure where they actually spawn but I think that Wolf coulee could a possibility and also out east like horseshoe mentioned.

I am not trying to cause anymore problems or stir the pot but I thought I had better bring that to the attention of people that have been at the meetings and are involved in this regulation change.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Yup....im sure confussed about alot of things Gramps.
I cant find test net results and i cant find the scientific data on anything, i have my own personal concerns. But im just a fisherman.....i'd like to see the SRD's facts..other than what is said at meetings.
The comment Nate posted has me reeling in disbelief on why our Bio would say that.

I want it clear that im on a fact finding mission and not to linch anyone, sadly in order to find the answers alot of rocks need to be turned over. Some people are taking it as personal attacks and im sorry for that.

Prior to that meeting it took days for me to decide what i would say and not say. Because we all know info can be used in a bad way also.....i just want the best for the lake and its fish.
Yes Chubb you are right on the head with this one...

This started with the advertising of the meeting and no real data provided for anyone that was at the meeting.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Yes Chubb you are right on the head with this one...

This started with the advertising of the meeting and no real data provided for anyone that was at the meeting.
Iam old and forgetfull but im positive my first question was....are we here to discuss this sheet of info or are you saying your announcing this sheet.
Im sure the answer was....Im annoucing this sheet, but we can discuss any changes for the following year(2013).

Since then others have posted and started threads with reg changes that dont look anything similar to the sheet i was given
Old 11-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chubbdarter
Isnt the fact that SRD seeks a regulation change enough proof.
Would SRD try and regulate lesser spawning areas?
I have a info sheet handed to me at the claresholm meeting from SRD which confirms this is a important area of interest that needs attention.

Quote:
Chubb

Quote:
No, I never said that at all.
I guess if you would have been at the meeting you would know what i was talking about but you are just commenting on second hand information.
Could you also post where you found the information on the web because I can not find it.
Thanks

You are saying that the information they gave Chubb is not true that this area is not important and needs attention.
And your saying that they say there is no fish in LBR but you know for a fact that there is. Is this correct?
Old 11-06-2011, 09:54 AM

I must say... I'm a little concerned that the people who were apparently involved in this process (cough, horseshoe, cough) are dodging questions, and can't or won't shed any light on how this whole closure came to be, and the actual data used to support the closure....
Old 11-06-2011, 11:45 AM

This is an interesting thread with good intentions that started out trying to do the right thing and unfortunately at times has turned into a bashing match and finger pointing; all with from what I can see is un-substantiated information, only experience. I also have spent some time at Travers, I would hate to see the faces of kids sitting on the dock waiting for the lake to open so that they can start fishing as I pull away with my boat because I am fortunate enough to have one or un-fortunate(BOAT - Bring On Another Thousand). For those of you who say there is lots of places for the shore fisherperson/fisherkid to fish, where the @#@$ are you talking about, have you been there, hope you like to walk. The campground is at the West end where the dock in question is, are you saying they should camp somewhere else or just drive somewhere else to fish. You wouldn't be writing about this if you also weren't guilty of fishing in the area's in question, how else do you know, are you taking others word for this? For those who say the lake is in trouble, is that because you couldn't go hammer the fish you used to. Did I say used to or still are but more people are getting better at watching you, listening to you, or talking to the so called experts, I bet you have learned a few things over the years, I know I have and that is thanks to lots of avenues, including the organization listed in this thread. I have had really good days on this lake and others, as well as really bad day, is that because the Walleye are a moving, schooling, and spawning species or are we fishing it out? I would like to try some of you waypoints to see if I just haven't found the good spots yet or have and just gotten lucky. I like to catch fish and show others including kids how to catch fish, I can release most of them with no ill effects, some just are ill hooked or I get the hankering to eat a fish, tell me the rest of you haven't and I will show you a liar for each no. My beliefs are if someone wants to keep the Walleye, any over 60ish cm’s are probably good spawners and should try to keep smaller legal fish if so desired and allowed by the law(debatable if the law is right). Again this is my belief and if someone can definitively prove me wrong I will certainly listen, can I debate the fact without being singled out?

I will be at the next meeting to meet all of the posters that feel so strongly about the regulation changes and discuss what is best, for the future good of the fishery (discuss not bicker, not everyone will have the same opinion). I don’t know all the spawning beds, but it sure sounds like some of you all know and I am glad for that. Is it because you caught really well at certain times or is there more proof? At least it looks like there has been some steps to taken by the fisheries with the good intentions of some people and WU as it was recognized by The Biologist(All the people quoting what the Biologist is saying, has he been notified his quotes are being stated in this post). All you negative posting members bashing the work of what has been done towards the good steps please comment on the work you have done to make this fishery better, besides buying a boat, I would like to hear those success stories as well. Can we start a debate over them as well?

I do agree that shutting down fishing in a lake can be a good,,, for the fish, and as someone already commented all fish not just the Walleye (Burbot and Whitefish don't eat the walleye eggs do they)(Pike don't sit at the mouth of Walleye spawning grounds and eat do they)(Someone should tell them about the closure as well). Sure hope the commercial netters, who are only taking out the evasive species, still keep selling their Walleye so I can have one every once in a while when I have enough money left from fixing my boat.

Sure glad those big noisy wake board boats slow down over the spawning beds so as to not disturb the spawning Fish, they can power up later and have fun as long as their tiny wakes aren’t causing any damage to the shoreline.

Who gets to take on all the issues, or do we start somewhere knowing not all will agree?

PS. Can’t wait to see what this response starts!!! By the way I am aware of my Handle, yes I might be full of it but can’t wait to hear what the posters can come up with?
Old 11-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by helium View Post
This is an interesting thread with good intentions that started out trying to do the right thing and unfortunately at times has turned into a bashing match and finger pointing; all with from what I can see is un-substantiated information, only experience. I also have spent some time at Travers, I would hate to see the faces of kids sitting on the dock waiting for the lake to open so that they can start fishing as I pull away with my boat because I am fortunate enough to have one or un-fortunate(BOAT - Bring On Another Thousand). For those of you who say there is lots of places for the shore fisherperson/fisherkid to fish, where the @#@$ are you talking about, have you been there, hope you like to walk. The campground is at the West end where the dock in question is, are you saying they should camp somewhere else or just drive somewhere else to fish. You wouldn't be writing about this if you also weren't guilty of fishing in the area's in question, how else do you know, are you taking others word for this? For those who say the lake is in trouble, is that because you couldn't go hammer the fish you used to. Did I say used to or still are but more people are getting better at watching you, listening to you, or talking to the so called experts, I bet you have learned a few things over the years, I know I have and that is thanks to lots of avenues, including the organization listed in this thread. I have had really good days on this lake and others, as well as really bad day, is that because the Walleye are a moving, schooling, and spawning species or are we fishing it out? I would like to try some of you waypoints to see if I just haven't found the good spots yet or have and just gotten lucky. I like to catch fish and show others including kids how to catch fish, I can release most of them with no ill effects, some just are ill hooked or I get the hankering to eat a fish, tell me the rest of you haven't and I will show you a liar for each no. My beliefs are if someone wants to keep the Walleye, any over 60ish cm’s are probably good spawners and should try to keep smaller legal fish if so desired and allowed by the law(debatable if the law is right). Again this is my belief and if someone can definitively prove me wrong I will certainly listen, can I debate the fact without being singled out?

I will be at the next meeting to meet all of the posters that feel so strongly about the regulation changes and discuss what is best, for the future good of the fishery (discuss not bicker, not everyone will have the same opinion). I don’t know all the spawning beds, but it sure sounds like some of you all know and I am glad for that. Is it because you caught really well at certain times or is there more proof? At least it looks like there has been some steps to taken by the fisheries with the good intentions of some people and WU as it was recognized by The Biologist(All the people quoting what the Biologist is saying, has he been notified his quotes are being stated in this post). All you negative posting members bashing the work of what has been done towards the good steps please comment on the work you have done to make this fishery better, besides buying a boat, I would like to hear those success stories as well. Can we start a debate over them as well?

I do agree that shutting down fishing in a lake can be a good,,, for the fish, and as someone already commented all fish not just the Walleye (Burbot and Whitefish don't eat the walleye eggs do they)(Pike don't sit at the mouth of Walleye spawning grounds and eat do they)(Someone should tell them about the closure as well). Sure hope the commercial netters, who are only taking out the evasive species, still keep selling their Walleye so I can have one every once in a while when I have enough money left from fixing my boat.

Sure glad those big noisy wake board boats slow down over the spawning beds so as to not disturb the spawning Fish, they can power up later and have fun as long as their tiny wakes aren’t causing any damage to the shoreline.

Who gets to take on all the issues, or do we start somewhere knowing not all will agree?

PS. Can’t wait to see what this response starts!!! By the way I am aware of my Handle, yes I might be full of it but can’t wait to hear what the posters can come up with?
Well what i'm having trouble with is so many people that supposedly have been on this forum for a year or two but have contributed nothing but they all come out on this thread. One has already been banned lets continue to see what happens.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:36 PM

As I stated, singled out if you choose to respond, maybe thats why others haven't. Did you say long time contributers, what does long time contributers mean to you, the date you joined this forum?
Old 11-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by helium View Post
As I stated, singled out if you choose to respond, maybe thats why others haven't. Did you say long time contributers, what does long time contributers mean to you, the date you joined this forum?
If you care to read my post I did not single you out.I said "So many people"
In case you don't know that is plural....plural |ˈploŏrəl|
adjective
more than one in number : the meanings of the text are plural.
• Grammar (of a word or form) denoting more than one, or (in languages with dual number) more than two :

I did not say long time contributer you need to read properly before you post.
What I said was "many people that supposedly have been on this forum for a year or two but have contributed nothing"
Old 11-06-2011, 01:33 PM

I'm sorry my autodictionary changed "Yous to you"
In case you don't know that is "you plural yous" plural as so kindly explained above.

So many people who don't contribute, geesh.