Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-09-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Fricken Sutley....lol...

I remember him...
An the flood of memories continues....

There was a few of the Sutley boys all riggin if I remember right...
I'm sure they stemmed from the Spartan Drilling days before PD took em over....
Correct.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:52 AM

IR..I don't remember ...I was on a number of rigs from Pink Mountain to
Tumbler Ridge all big iron....when we would show up in our big white Pete's it meant everyone could have a nap or hide for a few hours
Old 03-10-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolf View Post
I know this is a long shot.. But what the heck...

I am looking for some photos of a Precision Drilling rig that I use to roughneck on from 1999 – 2003. My career in the industry started as a roughneck on a cold winter night by Clearwater Alberta. I cut my teeth on rig 641 a big triple, (this was originally a Kenting Hightower rig) at the time owned by Precision Drilling. I am now looking for any pics of this rig during this time period. My goal is to find a decient pic and have it famed so I can hang it in my office.

A while ago I sent PD a similar inquiry but they did not respond. So decided to post something here with hopes that somone has a photo they can share or put me in touch with someone that might be able to.

Regards,

Shane Wolf
Phone PD. alternatively if you remember the names of any oil company staff often they take the tourist photos you would be interested in.

Quick look saw PD630 in the gallery. Look for yours

http://www.canadian-wellsite.com/Gal...illingRigs.asp

Other google search specific may work.

This one specifically mentions PD631.

http://www.canadian-wellsite.com/Gal...erviceRigs.asp
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-13-2018, 10:58 PM

WOW!!!

This is the first time I checked in and I can’t believe how many people chimed in on this thread.

Thanks for the help and triggering some old memories. Bud Colman was the push when I started and when I left. I remember we took a kick while I was roughnecking. Mud past the crown and a midnight winter flair through the manifold shack. I do miss the iron. I learned a lot about myself at a young age.

I have some picks of Rig 632 that I worked on but they suck.

Hey if anyone wants to share a good pick of a rig in Alberta feel free to send it my way.

Cheers

Swolf
Old 03-14-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
The fastest way to talk to someone would be to call their main line and ask for a salesman.
Tell him your story and I'm sure he will look for one for you. Especially if you tell him you are now working for an Oil company and will be looking for a rig this summer... wink wink.
Yes I am working this angel as we speak.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Phone PD. alternatively if you remember the names of any oil company staff often they take the tourist photos you would be interested in.

Quick look saw PD630 in the gallery. Look for yours

http://www.canadian-wellsite.com/Gal...illingRigs.asp

Other google search specific may work.

This one specifically mentions PD631.

http://www.canadian-wellsite.com/Gal...erviceRigs.asp
Sundance thanks for the links. I had a solid look through each page before I started the thread. I remember the news visiting the rig one summer. They filmed us tripping but I forget what the story was about, and can’t find any details on line.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:51 AM

Swolf, I should have some pics of 641 but will have to dig through some old computer backup files to find them. I used that rig up in Narraway for a fall/winter of 04 or 05. Will try and dig some up this weekend.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannerdog View Post
Swolf, I should have some pics of 641 but will have to dig through some old computer backup files to find them. I used that rig up in Narraway for a fall/winter of 04 or 05. Will try and dig some up this weekend.

Tanner, thanks in advance, I appreciate the help.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:36 PM

Mr. Ron Sutley is consulting for Encana as we speak. The stories these guys have of the Good Ol Days are priceless... Some of them should right a book, because when they are gone, so are the stories...
Old 03-14-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
Mr. Ron Sutley is consulting for Encana as we speak. The stories these guys have of the Good Ol Days are priceless... Some of them should right a book, because when they are gone, so are the stories...
There is a book. “The Super Roughneck” fifty years of Canadian Oilpatch History.

Last edited by lmtada; 03-14-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:06 AM

So Ron is back consulting again? I worked for Ronnie/Toothless back in the Spartan days and continued on when PD bought them out. I've also got the picture of the underbalance work 28 did in Crossfield. That old girl is sitting in the weeds down in the states, or at least it was when I was working down south this past summer. I'll check with some of the old PD guys I worked with and see if anyone has any pics for the OP.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw'd View Post
So Ron is back consulting again? I worked for Ronnie/Toothless back in the Spartan days and continued on when PD bought them out. I've also got the picture of the underbalance work 28 did in Crossfield. That old girl is sitting in the weeds down in the states, or at least it was when I was working down south this past summer. I'll check with some of the old PD guys I worked with and see if anyone has any pics for the OP.
Is this Terry v?
Old 03-15-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw'd View Post
Thanks Outlaw!!
Old 03-15-2018, 06:34 PM

Those were the days. I seen a lot of different rigs in my life time.
Must have been to every rig that was in Sask,Alberta and BC from 84 - 2000
Worked for Toran Power. They supplied the generators for the rigs .
I would see up to 5 different rigs a Day. Average was 2 rigs a day. 16 hr days 7 days a week. Ran into guys that thought we had 20 service trucks . They were blowen away when I told him I was the only Mechanic.
Who out there on A/0 seen me out on there rig ? or had our units ?
Old 03-16-2018, 02:30 PM

Default Pd641

Hayseed, 641(box on box) was around Edson and Sheepcreek in the early 2000's,for Husky I believe. You guys used to move them around here. I was still in the yellow trucks back then. It could be longer ago than that too. Besides 632 in DV I think there are 6 PD rigs decommissioned in the SBT yard in Edson.Whats left of 391 and 506 are in our yard here also.

Last edited by srp71; 03-16-2018 at 02:32 PM. Reason: info added
Old 03-16-2018, 06:52 PM

Memory has it Kieth Stutley used to push Adeco rig 3 and Sedco bought them out. He had a driller by the name of Harold Dickout. They were known to GoJoe clean the rig back in the day.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:16 PM

Biosol
Old 03-16-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtimoseMan View Post
Memory has it Kieth Stutley used to push Adeco rig 3 and Sedco bought them out. He had a driller by the name of Harold Dickout. They were known to GoJoe clean the rig back in the day.
Correct again.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:22 PM

Now I feel real old. Back in the day Kenting, Hi Tower, Brelco, Arrowhead, Adeco, Spartan, Bradco, Precision, Westburne, Sedco, Cactus, Red Arrow were all separate companies. One bought the other and so on and eventually they were all precision. Probably a few others I can't remember.
Most of those rigs have been decommed by now or if the number is still there then the rig has basically been completely rebuilt into what gets work today.

I stay in touch with Sutley. He was one of my best customers over the years. Most of the guys I new as rig managers or drillers are now running either a contractor or drilling program for an oil company. Or just plain retired.