Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2018, 07:25 AM

Default Hiring kids - odd jobs

Ok so maybe I’m paranoid, maybe I’m not. But it seems like this day and age everything has some sort of legality issue surrounding it. So I’m curious what the legalities are around hiring kids for yard work/odd jobs?

When I was a kid I mowed lawns, painted fences, and stacked firewood or whatever for a few bucks. Worst thing that happened was a sunburn, maybe a few blisters or slivers. But times have changed... could get hauled off to court for anything it seems.

The wife and I were discussing the possibility of hiring a kid to mow the lawn this summer plus some other odd jobs around the house, nothing strenuous. Just a few things that I would be willing to have a kid do rather than do it myself. (Painting...I absolutely hate painting!)

I know minimum wage would be standard. But what is the deal these days if god forbid the kid got hurt or something?
Old 03-15-2018, 08:34 AM

The liability aspect is there for sure, from some safety management courses I took it’s almost a wonder any company has staff considering the risks involved. The darker aspect of the legislation is that unlike criminal justice (innocent until proven guilty) that the opposite applies under the legislation surrounding worker protection, you’re considered guilty unless you can prove otherwise. It’s also why companies have middle management to act as convenient scapegoats, though that also won’t completely protect them as the same reverse onus falls upon them.

If it’s a responsible kid who is intelligent and cautious I’d go ahead, if it’s some coddled stooge who you’re ‘doing a favor’ for his parents, don’t. Sometimes the supervision is more difficult than doing it yourself.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:36 AM

For the legalities of paying the kid, I'm not sure how that'd work, since technically you become the employer...

But it might be worthwhile to have a chat with the parents, and have them sign a waiver, as well as run any jobs past them.. "Hey, I was hoping to have little johnny paint the house next week. He will be on a ladder. Is that something that is okay with you guys?" Something like that... that way they couldn't come back on you and say you made him perform unsafe work, and he didn't know any better.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
For the legalities of paying the kid, I'm not sure how that'd work, since technically you become the employer...

But it might be worthwhile to have a chat with the parents, and have them sign a waiver, as well as run any jobs past them.. "Hey, I was hoping to have little johnny paint the house next week. He will be on a ladder. Is that something that is okay with you guys?" Something like that... that way they couldn't come back on you and say you made him perform unsafe work, and he didn't know any better.

Just my 2 cents.

You can’t bypass worker protection laws with a waiver. You can have them sign safety orientations, training paperwork and job tasking instructions though.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:46 AM

There was a neighbour down the street who had his 10 year old son take out the garbage to the end of the driveway. Another neighbour saw this and phoned child services stating that the father was using the son like a slave. Child services then visiting the home and conducted interviews with everyone in the family.

So ya... be careful.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:49 AM
Banned

Don't leave any paper trail. If something happens, charge them with trespassing and vandalism if they cut your lawn.

Only agree to drop charges if they do too.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Don't leave any paper trail. If something happens, charge them with trespassing and vandalism if they cut your lawn.

Only agree to drop charges if they do too.
lol, those damn delinquents! Is renegade landscaping a summary or indictable offence?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
lol, those damn delinquents! Is renegade landscaping a summary or indictable offence?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Hybrid. Depends on the weapo-- er... Tool.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:27 PM

Guess I shouldn’t have been hauling grain at 11. Hauling barley for old man. Firing up the grain auger, shovelling grain.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
There was a neighbour down the street who had his 10 year old son take out the garbage to the end of the driveway. Another neighbour saw this and phoned child services stating that the father was using the son like a slave. Child services then visiting the home and conducted interviews with everyone in the family.

So ya... be careful.
IF this is true, we truly live in a sad time.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 03-16-2018, 09:43 AM
Banned

Pay per job and not till the job is done.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:49 PM

Extend it to the 15 year old babysitter that trips down the stairs or a buddy that you kick a few bucks to in hard times to help shingle your roof, etc...

If you are paying for the service and someone gets hurt, standard homeowners insurance probably isn't gonna cover it.

I wonder even if I should be feeding/watering my brothers next time they come to help out with the house, might be opening myself up to something.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
You can’t bypass worker protection laws with a waiver. You can have them sign safety orientations, training paperwork and job tasking instructions though.
x2

If anything, you are putting on paper that you were aware you breaking the law. It's actually worse than having a waiver if it gets to court because now you did it "knowingly".
Old 03-16-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf View Post
Ok so maybe I’m paranoid, maybe I’m not. But it seems like this day and age everything has some sort of legality issue surrounding it. So I’m curious what the legalities are around hiring kids for yard work/odd jobs?

When I was a kid I mowed lawns, painted fences, and stacked firewood or whatever for a few bucks. Worst thing that happened was a sunburn, maybe a few blisters or slivers. But times have changed... could get hauled off to court for anything it seems.

The wife and I were discussing the possibility of hiring a kid to mow the lawn this summer plus some other odd jobs around the house, nothing strenuous. Just a few things that I would be willing to have a kid do rather than do it myself. (Painting...I absolutely hate painting!)

I know minimum wage would be standard. But what is the deal these days if god forbid the kid got hurt or something?
Young kid is walking the neighbourhood looking for work .
He finds a guy that needs some painting done .
" I want you to paint the porch out back with two coats "
" Sure mister " " Thanks "
A few hours later the kid comes back ...
Hey, mister, I'm done " ..." Two coats ?" the man questions
" Yep " says the kid ... " but it was a Mercedes , not a Porche "
Old 03-17-2018, 10:07 AM

Default Hiring Kids

It's a sad world, where I am a criminal if I offer my neighbors 14 year old kid $50 to mow my lawn. We both would benefit and like the deal, but it's illegal . Instead, kids will not be offered any cash jobs anymore.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:10 PM

It is turning into a sad world - it was the reason for my post. Mostly curious to see what others have to say about it. Like I said when I was a kid I went around and earned spending money doing odd jobs for neighbours. Nobody thought anything of it. $5 here. $10 there. All was good. After a bit I would get calls from others for jobs. A little hard work and word of mouth went a long way!

But things have changed so much in the last 25 years or so. I’m sure people still hire neighborhood kids it’s not going away anytime soon. And I still might we are undecided may take the risk providing it’s a good kid with common sense and a good work ethic. We are at the stage where maybe we would rather pay a young kid $20 to do some yard work instead of doing it ourselves.

Have to wait and see...