Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2019, 04:13 AM

A step in the right direction in the midst of another lost season, as a die hard Oilers fan it is getting harder and harder to see anything positive over the past 10 years, and after last nights lack luster effort they will be playing meaningless hockey again for the next 32 games, when a team can make a seasoned coach like Hitch smile and say " I don't Know " its hard for us fans to have any hope.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:36 AM
Banned

Now that he’s gone I give it 2 weeks and if the new manager doesn’t bring in kucherov, Crosby, burns, hedman and price the fans are gona be calling for his head.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny gudbleau View Post
The worst part is that he’s better than spooner, cave,puljujarvi, Yamamoto and reider.
We Oiler fans have to realize that the roster is an AHL skilled roster at best. Time to be real about what you are witnessing.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Too late for this season

Oh well another one bites the dust.....next....a yoga instructor?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-23-2019, 07:49 AM

January 23rd should be a Civic Holiday for Edmonton.

We will see how Koskinen's deal holds up as the last thing done with Chia still there. Im sure some people are leaning in the direction of it being similar to farting just before you leave the room.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post

We will see how Koskinen's deal holds up as the last thing done with Chia still there. Im sure some people are leaning in the direction of it being similar to farting just before you leave the room.
Hey, I just read that too this morning. Good one on the Civic Holiday.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:59 AM

I waa more bullish on Chiarelli until this season. So many moves that made no sense—especially the Strome for Spooner trade and Caggiula for Manning. The team badly needs wingers, and what does he do? Threw away solid middle six forwards for a player that cleared waivers and a marginal bottom 6 dman.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:04 AM

Go get Brian Burke for GM.

BW
Old 01-23-2019, 08:14 AM

What should the new GM do with no cap space and no NHL caliber assets to trade? Chia traded away NHL caliber players and didn’t get NHL caliber players in return.

You can’t go grocery shopping with no money.

The new GM will have a challenge of a lifetime in front of him. Will
be interesting.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Go get Brian Burke for GM.

BW
I thought of that too. But he left Calgary to be closer to his family out east. And now he's got that SportsNet gig. And I like the points he makes, not afraid to say something.

He wouldn't have to go very far to fight Kevin Lowe. Not some barn somewhere. They could just go at it right in the war room at Rogers Place.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
What should the new GM do with no cap space and no NHL caliber assets to trade? Chia traded away NHL caliber players and didn’t get NHL caliber players in return.

You can’t go grocery shopping with no money.

The new GM will have a challenge of a lifetime in front of him. Will
be interesting.
I think his hands are practically tied for the next two years. For 19/20 they have a $6.5M projected cap space but by 20/21 Pouliots and Gryba's buyouts are both off the books and so are Talbot, Manning, Petrovic, Brodziak, Kassian, and Spooner and the projected cap space is $22M. And the year following the projected cap space is $44M. The new guy will need at least 2 to 3 years with next year being a complete right off IMO. I'd essentially trade away anything and everything that doesn't fit in with being competitive in 3 years and, as futile as it likely will be, try to get Panarin and Karlsson, a winger and a Dman that are good and fit the age bracket.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I think his hands are practically tied for the next two years. For 19/20 they have a $6.5M projected cap space but by 20/21 Pouliots and Gryba's buyouts are both off the books and so are Talbot, Manning, Petrovic, Brodziak, Kassian, and Spooner and the projected cap space is $22M. And the year following the projected cap space is $44M. The new guy will need at least 2 to 3 years with next year being a complete right off IMO. I'd essentially trade away anything and everything that doesn't fit in with being competitive in 3 years and, as futile as it likely will be, try to get Panarin and Karlsson, a winger and a Dman that are good and fit the age bracket.
Thanks for that. Sheds some light on things for sure
Old 01-23-2019, 09:30 AM

Are Craig MacTavish and Kevin Lowe still employed? Should Peter not be helping them pack?
Old 01-23-2019, 10:11 AM

"They canned the head coach, the GM is on the firing line, they're 12th in the West and just list at home to the last place team in the NHL.

And (I am not making this up) statistically this is the Edmonton Oilers fourth best season in the last 13 years." - Rob Tychowski
Old 01-23-2019, 10:14 AM

It’s all on Katz. Katz, spent millions to be friends with his idols. Him realizing his dream has turned into a nightmare for Oiler fans...
Old 01-23-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
It’s all on Katz. Katz, spent millions to be friends with his idols. Him realizing his dream has turned into a nightmare for Oiler fans...
We had the same issue with the Stampeders under owner Michael Feterik...sad days
Old 01-23-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
...... I thought under the latest CBA that this was changed so that if a player cleared waivers and was sent down to the AHL, their contract or a portion of it, still counted towards the NHL teams salary cap. Thought it was changed in response to what the Rangers did with Redden. Signed him to a big contract and when his play suffered, sent him down to the minors to get his salary off their cap.......

Or am I mistaken on this?
IIRC you're not mistaken. I think the max relief is just under $1million.

So Oilers could save about 1 million off of Spooner's contract and all of Rattie's by sending them to the AHL. Someone correct me if I'm wrong as I am just working from memory.

This would be a significant amount of cap space for the Oilers who are pretty much tapped out.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:28 AM
Banned

I cant believe they let him touch anything to do with the your Goalie.
He knew he was on his way out.
The higher ups might have wanted this Goalie but you can never let PC negotiate that deal. No one at no time would let that happen.
Something is fishy here.

As well, does he really have a no trade contract?
I wonder if they have any way of voiding this? I really get the feeling that something is way way way wrong with this.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I think his hands are practically tied for the next two years. For 19/20 they have a $6.5M projected cap space but by 20/21 Pouliots and Gryba's buyouts are both off the books and so are Talbot, Manning, Petrovic, Brodziak, Kassian, and Spooner and the projected cap space is $22M. And the year following the projected cap space is $44M. The new guy will need at least 2 to 3 years with next year being a complete right off IMO. .
Agree with this. It's gonna take time to clear up the cap space that is required.
It's gonna be a couple of lean years ahead.
Maybe they luck out on a few guys on PTO's.

Hopefully the new GM is not a member of the OBC.
Mind you, would any potential GM actually want this job?

The OBC has got to go.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post

Old 01-23-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
No matter who the GM is as of today, THIS is the reality. It's all too easy to point out the flaws, it's going to be a monumental task to fix them, especially in the short term.

It will take a magician and a lot of luck to make the right moves, and their current prospects/youth are going to have to turn the corner into actual NHL'ers to make them competitive for the next two seasons.

All that being said, I'm so done with the negativity around the Oilers. I can't argue with it, Roenick was far more right than he was wrong, but at this point, it's 100% counterproductive to turning this thing around. A quick read of any sports page or blog in any market, let alone the AO forum, and it's all you see. It's become a massive hate fest pile on. It's toxic. I've been on some teams like this year's Oilers and coached a few, I think I've got a pretty good idea what they're going through. It SUCKS, and believe me, they know it better than anyone. I get it, they're pros, they should be able to handle it, but the fact is, they're human, and the last thing they need is to constantly have it rubbed in their face. If this thing is ever going to get turned around, that "culture" has to change, it has to be a positive environment for them to want to play here, let alone for them to add the pieces they need via trade or free agency. They have time, the core is in place and largely signed, McDavid isn't going anywhere until 2026. I gotta believe they can turn it around.

The Flames guys dropping in to stir the pot and crap on the Oilers is one thing, but Oilers fans are our own worst enemy in so many ways...
Old 01-23-2019, 11:08 AM

Just a thought so don't crap on me here...but why is it ALL important to keep McDavid??? You want to speed up the rebuild, trade him and Draisitl (try to make it a condition that Lucic goes with one or the other)...I get that he is the best player on the planet, but he can't do it on his own...

Again, just putting it out there
Old 01-23-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
Just a thought so don't crap on me here...but why is it ALL important to keep McDavid??? You want to speed up the rebuild, trade him and Draisitl (try to make it a condition that Lucic goes with one or the other)...I get that he is the best player on the planet, but he can't do it on his own...

General consensus I believe is that whoever gets the best player in the trade, wins the trade. (Whether it's the NHL or fantasy football) That's why it is so rare to see true #1 D men or top caliber forwards get traded, especially in their prime. By that reasoning, it is impossible to win a trade when you're giving up McDavid.

There is only one Connor McDavid, he's a generational talent. There's all kinds of first and second liners out there, and more coming into the league every year. I'd argue that the sum of those players is not greater than the value of McDavid himself.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
General consensus I believe is that whoever gets the best player in the trade, wins the trade. (Whether it's the NHL or fantasy football) That's why it is so rare to see true #1 D men or top caliber forwards get traded, especially in their prime. By that reasoning, it is impossible to win a trade when you're giving up McDavid.

There is only one Connor McDavid, he's a generational talent. There's all kinds of first and second liners out there, and more coming into the league every year. I'd argue that the sum of those players is not greater than the value of McDavid himself.
Good points but I think it could be debated either way. Mcdavid, Draisitl and Lucic together will be 27 million!!! I'm not saying it wouldn't hurt to lose McDavid...are Oiler fans really prepared for many more years of pain?
Old 01-23-2019, 11:26 AM
Banned

i've been a flames fan and hated the oilers since the flames came to calgary. hated the years that the oilers dominated the flames and my sentiments have never changed..........i stilll hate 'em and am loving the flames success this year, but:

even though my thoughts are what they are, i cannot help but think about the oiler fans and have a LITTLE compassion for them. after the gong show up there however, it must take a special person to stay on the oiler wagon. given the 'old boys club', the wasted drafts that are the envy of the league, the mind boggling signings (lucic, koskinen, etc, etc), the unexplainable trades, rotating coaches (am i the only one who thinks they should start firing at the top instead of the bottom of management?), it s no wonder the organization is the laughing stock of the whole league, and every non-oiler fan on the planet.

i know that canada doesn't have the death penalty, but what can anyone say about KATZ that isn't illegal in some way?

this insanity that is supposed to be a legitimate professional hockey organization should not be allowed to continue........and here we are, racing toward another high first round draft pick.

i'm sounding like roenick, so should stop i guess.......only started this rant to express my astonishment that there are any oilers fans left and to wonder at their continued loyalty to an organization that has been so f'ed up for so long.......they truly must be some special kind of people.

Last edited by spoiledsaskhunter; 01-23-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Are Craig MacTavish and Kevin Lowe still employed? Should Peter not be helping them pack?
i think they got the grandfathered in lifetime membership , the damage has been done, the only thing to look forward to is the draft
Old 01-23-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post

Possible for sure. The '96 Avalanche & '17-'18 VGK would agree

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 01-23-2019, 11:46 AM

Katz, supposed to be a great businessmen man, horrible owner as far as watching his team crash and burn and do nothing. Never hear a word from him about his team.

Chirelli, thank god he is gone before he could do more damage before the trade deadline. If they had his pink slip ready, did the higher ups ok the Kostienen signing? Why not let the new GM handle the signings, there was no rush.

Oilers team: No heart, no fight for each other, what is going on in that dressing room that no one will stand up and beat down the other teams players who constantly go after our star? It's not like we don't have some tough guys.

Next Gm: Good luck trying to un tie the rats nest of a mess Chirelli left you.

That being said, still hoping for a run of wins and a last chance playoff spot.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
The Flames guys dropping in to stir the pot and crap on the Oilers is one thing, but Oilers fans are our own worst enemy in so many ways...
I thought eveyone was being pretty civil....
Old 01-23-2019, 11:54 AM

Even though I think it will never happen, I will play along in this fantasy.

1. So you are the new GM and you are willing to trade McDavid.

What would you ask for in return (actual player names)

2. So you are the new GM and you are willing to trade Draisaitl.

What would you ask for in return (actual player names)

3. What other moves would you make?