Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Thanks. It would've been better to say the bombardier was an Alberta invention instead of Edmonton. I am going to see if I can find out more.
hahaha, I thought I might have posted the first statement on this thread to get a hair raising.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:26 PM

Default Alberta Eagle Migration

Apparently,
It was only in the early 1990s that it was discovered that A major route for eagle migration was along the Kananakis and Livingstone valleys.

http://eaglewatch.ca/the-eagles-jour...gle-migration/

I had seen this a few years ago near Savannah Creek. About 30 birds traveling very high and very fast south down the valley. It was kind of strange to see and I didn't really know what to make of it.

Interesting to note that First Nations people trapped eagles in the spring and and it is claimed that there are 8 known sites in the Oldman River basin.

Reference the The attached Theses by Kristina Hannis (SFU). Its a really interesting read regarding the Piikani timber limit 147B in the S.W. Porcupine Hills. (eagle trapping) click on the full text PDF to read it.

http://summit.sfu.ca/item/12201
Old 08-26-2016, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
I somehow knew you wouldn't forget the women in Alberta's history. (Just please refrain from posting racy vintage pictures of girls, thanks. ) It is good to keep the passion for history and the passion for women separate.

This is an Alberta Hollywood tidbit for sure... 1954 Filmed in Banff and Jasper parks. The River of No Return. Starring Marilyn Monroe and Robert Mitchum. Here's the whole movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4LI...7RdPzbDH7SNFBe

Here's a tidbit especially for you BB...This gal in 1886 had it all. Nice side arm eh?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1886 cowgirl.jpg (27.2 KB, 333 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-26-2016, 08:09 AM

How Calgary got its name:

In 1875 Major MacLeod of the NWMPolice sent Insp Walsh to the Cypress Hills to build a fort and to monitor the illegal whiskey trade in that area. He also sent Insp Brisebois north to build a fort on the Bow River for the same reason.

It was customary to name forts after the officer commanding them so, it became Fort Brisebois, and it sent and received despatches as Fort Brisebois, N.W.T. Now, Brisebois was an inefficient officer and was disliked by his fellow officers and men.

Both Walsh and Brisebois were issued an iron stove for the troops to cook their meals on however, Brisebois commandeered the stove for his personal use only, as he was living with a Metis woman in his quarters.

The men were on the verge a mutiny over the loss of the stove and when word got down to Fort MacLeod, MacLeod and Insp Cecil Denny (later Sir Cecil Denny) rode up to Fort Brisebois to straighten this mess out. On the way up, MacLeod noticed that the terrain around Calgary was very similar to the area he grew up in Scotland also named Calgary.

On arrival at Fort Brisebois, MacLeod admonished Brisebois for being an ass about the stove and told him that the Fort from now on will be called Fort Calgary. He then gave the men holy Hell for even thinking about a mutiny. Insp Brisebois was soon dismissed from the NWMP.

If it hadn't been for that iron stove we would now be attending the Brisebois Flames and Brisebois Stampeder games. Not to forget the Brisebois Expedition and Stampede.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
I somehow knew you wouldn't forget the women in Alberta's history. (Just please refrain from posting racy vintage pictures of girls, thanks. ) It is good to keep the passion for history and the passion for women separate.

This is an Alberta Hollywood tidbit for sure... 1954 Filmed in Banff and Jasper parks. The River of No Return. Starring Marilyn Monroe and Robert Mitchum. Here's the whole movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4LI...7RdPzbDH7SNFBe

Here's a tidbit especially for you BB...This gal in 1886 had it all. Nice side arm eh?
Cool ... look's like the little gal is packing a Winchester 1876

Thank's for the movie !!!

Every lady posted by me in this thread will be family friendly
Old 08-26-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbart View Post
Apparently,
It was only in the early 1990s that it was discovered that A major route for eagle migration was along the Kananakis and Livingstone valleys.

http://eaglewatch.ca/the-eagles-jour...gle-migration/

I had seen this a few years ago near Savannah Creek. About 30 birds traveling very high and very fast south down the valley. It was kind of strange to see and I didn't really know what to make of it.

Interesting to note that First Nations people trapped eagles in the spring and and it is claimed that there are 8 known sites in the Oldman River basin.

Reference the The attached Theses by Kristina Hannis (SFU). Its a really interesting read regarding the Piikani timber limit 147B in the S.W. Porcupine Hills. (eagle trapping) click on the full text PDF to read it.

http://summit.sfu.ca/item/12201
Thanks for sharing the links.

I find it interesting that a young golden eagle is bigger than a mature golden eagle. Big birds.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 08-26-2016 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
They had houses!

I didn't know that. I know they had almost everything else, but I don't remember houses.

That's very interesting.

My cousin and his wife have restored a 1912 "Eaton's" farm house back in Manitoba and run a b&b out of it. Growing up as a kid back then I used to enjoy walking the 1/2 mile across the pasture to help my uncles with chores. Oh the memories...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2016, 10:41 AM

Default How Edmonon got its name

John Peter Pruden born 1778 in Edmon`s town Middlesex England worked a fort on the N.Sask. river in Ruperts land NWT. The Governor of the fort Sir James Winter Lake also was born in the same town in England. At Prudens suggestion the Governor named the HBC fort- trading post Edmonton.
Edmon`s town has long been swallowed up by London.
My wife is a direct descendent of J P Pruden. We have all the documents and family tree of the people from before 1778 through to our grand children.
NWT has become Canada's western provinces.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:10 PM
Banned

Old 08-27-2016, 05:12 PM
Banned

Old 08-27-2016, 05:15 PM
Banned

Old 08-27-2016, 05:16 PM
Banned

Old 08-27-2016, 06:40 PM

Default John Ware: Alberta's Famous Cowboy

It’s said there wasn’t a horse he couldn’t ride, cattle he couldn’t rope or a man who wasn’t his friend. His exceptional talent with horses, prodigious strength, hard work and straightforward honesty earned him a place of honour in Alberta’s history.

Born a slave on a South Carolina plantation in 1845, John fled the South after the war seeking the freedom of the open Texas range.

Over six feet tall and his strength obvious, he was hired on a drive and after eating dust for two thousand miles, John reached the northern border. It was on this drive John made a good friend, Bill Moody, who appreciated John’s gentle humour and ambition. After the drive, Moody encouraged him to continue north to Canada.

In 1882, he had his chance. Tom Lynch – “the king of the cattle drivers” was hired by Fred Stimson of the Bar U Ranch to drive his herd of 3,000 cattle from Idaho to Highwood. Lynch approached Bill Moody to be one of the cowboys and Moody insisted his friend, John Ware, be part of the crew. Lynch was reluctant but he wanted Moody, so Ware was hired on and relegated to the night crew.

While Moody knew John’s skill with horses, being a nighthawk gave him little opportunity for advancement. One day John asked Lynch if he might have a “little better saddle, and a little worse horse.” By all accounts, John’s bronc ride was spectacular, earning the respect of the camp and a promotion to the day crew.

John Ware rode into Canada with the Bar U herd in September 1882. Needing men to watch over his herd, Stimson sought Lynch’s advice on which cowboys he might recommend. When asked about John Ware, Lynch bluntly advised Stimson, “You’d be a fool not to hire him.”

In his ten years on the Bar U, John’s amiable nature, skills and courage had established his reputation and his ambition was growing. Signing with an X, John filed for his own homestead land on the Sheep Creek.

John was also gaining fame, the local newspaper often recounting his skills with horses and cattle – or his brush with death. One story described him “Jumping off the side of his horse and wrestling a full-grown steer to the ground,” while another told how John and the crew were swimming cattle across the Old Man River and, unbeknownst to John, he was riding a horse that couldn’t swim. Neither could John. Floundering in the water, the cowboys roped John and the horse and drug them both to safety. “Within moments,” the newspaper reported, “his customary good cheer was restored.”

John Ware’s already legendary status as a horseman cut across the social strata, being admired by cowboys and British nobility alike. This was evident when the Quorn Ranch hired John to care for and train their horses. These were not the usual prairie scrubs, but hundreds of purebred Irish Hunters imported from Ireland.

Around this time, Tom Lynch heard that a black family named Lewis had moved to Calgary from Ontario, and their eldest daughter, Mildred, was in her late teens. Lynch arranged a “chance” meeting at the mercantile store between the two, and John received an invitation to dinner. After Christmas, he proposed to Mildred and on February 29, 1892, they were married.

When they arrived at John’s cabin that night, the windows were ablaze with light. Cautiously approaching, John and Mildred found all the neighbours gathered inside, welcoming the newlyweds home.

By 1893, John and Mildred had started their family, but the arrival of more settlers signaled the end of the open range. John moved his family and 300 cattle 90 miles east of their old homestead.

In 1902, tragedy began to stalk the Wares. Now a mother of five, Mildred had lost a baby and had never fully regained her strength. That year, the Red Deer River flooded, washing away their home. They rebuilt overlooking an area now called Ware Creek.

Early in 1905, Mildred became deathly ill and despite medical care, died in March. Grieving, John sent the children to live with their grandparents.

On a fine September day, John rode out on a dependable cow horse to check his cattle. His horse stumbled in a badger hole and fell on him, killing him instantly.

It was a tribute to his stature that his funeral was the largest in young Calgary’s history. Range cowboys and princes openly mourned the death of this former slave who was Alberta’s most respected cowboy.

Today, Alberta’s landscape is dotted with memorials to John Ware. His cabin is an historical site in Dinosaur Provincial Park and numerous landmarks, school and college buildings carry his name.

Perhaps most fitting of all, his tombstone in Calgary overlooks the Stampede grounds, forever within range of the horses that shaped his life and Alberta’s history.

http://www.cowboycountrytv.com/trail.../johnware.html
Old 08-28-2016, 05:46 PM

When the CPR started carrying our first tourists into the mountains it created a phenomenal trade in animal souvenirs and heads.

The curio shop in Banff called Luxton's sold many of these mounts and souvenirs. Tourists were so enthralled with wild animals Luxton's even had a live black bear chained up in front of the store.

In one season the Brewster trading company of Banff prepared 112 bighorn @95$ each, 4 deer@25$, 1 moose@100$, 1 elk@100$, 1 antelope@20$. There were also a number of unmounted sheep, caribou, 4 large grizzly and 3 black bears. Jim Brewster was renowned mountain man that guided hunters in the parks well before the first outfitters' licences. He is said to have been responsible for 150 successful grizzly hunts over the years too.

The New provincial government banned the sale of Animal souvenirs in 1905
Old 08-28-2016, 05:49 PM

1884 Alexander Begg suggested a "zoological branch" be constructed near Banff. Mostly made maintain the buffalo herd. In 1907 12K people visited. The "zoo" north of the townsite of Banff and was a 3 mile square enclosure. It had 79 buffalo, 15 moose, 11 elk, 7 mule deer, 4 persian goats, 6 angora goats and two mountain lions.
With the extermination of the great buffalo herds a few years before there was concern that all wildlife might have the same fate.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:59 PM

We hear of the saber toothed tiger and mastodon but did you know that up to the last ice age there was another big cat in Alberta. Fossil fragments have been found in the Edmonton area and dated 11,300 years old.

The American Lion. Not cougar, but lion.

Estimated to have been 5 ft to 8 ft long and it would have stood 3 1/2 feet at the shoulder. The male American lion weighed an average of 256 kg (564 lb) but a 351 kg (774 lb) specimen has been analyzed.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:48 PM

This is in interesting tidbit for people to ponder. I recently read an article about the Sunnyslope Sandstone Shelter written by Erin Hoar with the Historic Resources Management Branch. The pictures are from that article.

Any ideas about why it was made? And even who made it?

In a farmers field near Three Hills Alberta....

"Believed" to be built around 1900. No one knows who built this or why they built it. There are theories involving a german stone mason homesteader but it is only a theory.

The pictures in sequence:
1)The entrance to the sunnyslope sandstone shelter
2)The backside of the entrance dome. The mortared sandstone is clearly visible
3)The chamber with barrel-vaulted roof made from mortared sandstone
4) A small opening in the chamber used for light and ventilation

Picture credit to Alberta Culture, Historic Resources Management Branch. 2011

(I hope it's ok to post the pictures. I'm thinking they are public domain being they were on the internet and if I accredit them to where they are from it is allowed. If anyone can advise on posting others pics please do tell)

I like it. Wouldn't this make a nice hunting or fishing camp in november snows?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 the-sunnyslope-sandstone-shelter.jpg (179.5 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg 2 the-sunnyslope-sandstone-shelter.jpg (175.8 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg 3. the-sunnyslope-sandstone-shelter.jpg (175.0 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg 4 the-sunnyslope-sandstone-shelter.jpg (36.5 KB, 286 views)

Last edited by Red Bullets; 08-28-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:12 PM

Default Lethbridge bridge

Earlier posted a picture of the bridge. It was near there that Jerry Potts and his mothers people the Blackfoot killed a estimated 300 Cree in the river or on its banks. Jerry supposedly said "You could close you eyes, shoot and kill a Cree" The Blackfoot lost about 40 people.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:11 PM

That Sandstone Shelter looks like the storage coolers at the Milwaukee Beer Plant that they use to fill with kegs of beer and ice to keep it cool and fresh through the summer months.
Cool for sure.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 08-29-2016, 05:40 PM
Banned

Old 08-29-2016, 05:42 PM
Banned

Old 08-29-2016, 05:46 PM
Banned

Old 08-29-2016, 05:48 PM
Banned

Old 08-29-2016, 05:49 PM
Banned

Old 08-30-2016, 10:13 PM
Banned

Old 08-30-2016, 11:49 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
We were mentioning cowboys.... now this is a cowboy. Literally. Not sure if he was Albertan but thought the picture illustrates what guys thought cowboys were back then. At least what this guy thought a cowboy was. Just thought it was fun. Looks like a nice set of handlebars.
My uncle, my mom's brother was a bonafide cowboy.

I remember watching him cut cows from our herd guiding his horse with his knees so both hands were free to deal with is lasso.
His horse tripped over a stump and sent him flying. The horse picked itself up, walked over to him and hoisted him to his feet by the collar on his coat and then stood there till he swung back into the saddle. Before his jeans hit the saddle that horse was away again after another heifer, leaning into the corners like a motor bike racer.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-30-2016, 11:55 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post

Did you know that cars had to share that bridge until around 1966.
I'm not sure the exact year. I was pretty young when the new highway bridge was built.

I only remember crossing on the rail bridge once. The original road still exists on the west side of the river but the east side was totally rebuilt when the put in the overpass at Pat's creek.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-31-2016, 12:02 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Did you know the concept of the bombardier was invented in Edmonton in the 1930's. In the picture are some of the very first powered sleds in the early 1940's running on the river near the low level bridge.

Wish I could tell you more but I thought the picture was worth sharing.
I believe those are air powered sleds. Driven by airplane motors and propellers.

The Bombardier was a track driven machine and I believe it was invented by Joseph-Armand Bombardier in Valcourt PQ.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-31-2016, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I believe those are air powered sleds. Driven by airplane motors and propellers.

The Bombardier was a track driven machine and I believe it was invented by Joseph-Armand Bombardier in Valcourt PQ.
Thanks for the clarification. Both are great in the winter. I remember seeing both on Lesser Slave Lake back in the late 60's.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:41 AM

When you look back at how the rivers were such highways and hubs of life over the last couple centuries a person thinks of the North Saskatchewan, the Peace, the Athabasca and other bigger rivers. What many people don't realize is that in the beginning of the last century many of the smaller rivers and creeks were busy places too. There were logs being floated down several of the streams. Some streams passed by where towns were being built and other streams flowed down into the bigger rivers where logs were boomed and floated downstream to the bigger towns, now cities.

The creek that runs from Wabamun to the river, the creek that runs from buck lake to the river, the battle river that starts at Battle lake and flows east. All these and many more creeks were logged during winter and the logs dragged to the creeks. And in spring they were floated downstream to where there were mills.

They logged the big timber from around Battle Lake and did a log run down the Battle river in spring to get the logs to the Wetaskiwin area. There were log booms on the lakes where the loggers gathered the logs..

It is amazing that if you go to where Buck Lake creek enters the river you would never guess there was a couple hundred men living on the river flat. All logging the area. Now there is nothing except trees and the creek.

The Strugeon river which is a tributary to a few lakes was used to float logs down to St. Albert too.

These places I mention are only examples. This went on in many places around the province. My point of interest was that people don't generally associate the smaller creeks with log runs.

This picture is just one example. This was taken on Buck Lake creek in the 1930's. Photo from Alberta Provincial Archives.A3787