Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2019, 09:59 PM

If you're looking for oil work, stay in the Montney formation area which is the FSJ and GP area.

LOL, the first time I visited Rocky Mountain House I was slightly shocked and majorly disappointed. You can't even see the Rockies from RMH! I had this unrealistic notion of a town in the mountains like Castlegar or Fernie...nope. I didn't know much about Alberta back then lol. RMH is a nice town, just seriously misnamed.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:34 PM

Well.... you might wanna pic up a book there sunshine.

Google this.... David Thompson.

So... never mind....
Old 01-21-2019, 07:49 AM

Not much

There's a power shortage , a flock of seagulls and a Dick there
Old 01-21-2019, 08:25 AM

Rocky used to be pretty rough around the edges back in the 60's/70's and you didnt want to raise kids there then, but it is civilized now. The population is 6,635 and it has a Canadian Tire, it's only 80 kms to Red Deer for any major shopping. It's the gateway to the west country.

As someone has already stated, it is misnamed as it is not in the mountains. When the fur fort was built in the 1700's it was prairie. Then , with the buffalo gone and slow settlement in the area, the tree line moved in from the west.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post
Not much

There's a power shortage , a flock of seagulls and a Dick there
Are the seagulls friendly
Old 01-21-2019, 09:06 PM

Check out Drayton in March and keep heading south and check out a few other communities in the eastern slopes. Rocky, Caroline, Cremona, Bragg Creek, High River, Turner Valley, Black Diamond, Longview, Pincher Creek and then the Crowsnest Pass. Get a checklist of what's important to you and go from there. Eastern slopes and the southwest are pretty incredible.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:43 PM

I would reccomend Hinton but it is getting CRAZY EXPENSIVE. We have people move here for work at the new mine from Fort Mcmurray and they are shocked at the price of everything right down to a jug of milk.

With the new Thermal Project inching closer to becoming a real deal it is going to be pretty bad here. Housing is creeping up again to.

Id pick Edson LONG before Drayton
Old 01-21-2019, 09:44 PM

I did live in Alberta in the past so I have a list of places I plan to check out to see how they have changed. I also have to get the wife to see what she likes as well

If it was her choice we would move to Cochrane
Old 01-21-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
I would reccomend Hinton but it is getting CRAZY EXPENSIVE. We have people move here for work at the new mine from Fort Mcmurray and they are shocked at the price of everything right down to a jug of milk.

With the new Thermal Project inching closer to becoming a real deal it is going to be pretty bad here. Housing is creeping up again to.

Id pick Edson LONG before Drayton
Wife hates Edson and Hinton is not for me. I already passed on a job with Teck
Old 01-21-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Wife hates Edson and Hinton is not for me. I already passed on a job with Teck
Why did you not like Hinton? You cant beat it for the outdoors but the way its getting so expensive we are even contemplating a move.

Edson is way more affordable is what I liked about it and you are still in the middle of everything
Old 01-21-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
Why did you not like Hinton? You cant beat it for the outdoors but the way its getting so expensive we are even contemplating a move.

Edson is way more affordable is what I liked about it and you are still in the middle of everything
I much prefer to be on the edge of the mountains and the prairie so I can have the benefits of both within a short drive. I find this gives me the ability to enjoy my fav kinds of fishing and hunting easily

It’s not that I have a major issue with Hinton but I have lived in the Rockies before just not for me
Old 01-22-2019, 01:00 PM

I live just south of Drayton and if I didnt work north of town I would be living down between Caroline and Sundre. Beautiful area.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
If you're looking for oil work, stay in the Montney formation area which is the FSJ and GP area.

LOL, the first time I visited Rocky Mountain House I was slightly shocked and majorly disappointed. You can't even see the Rockies from RMH! I had this unrealistic notion of a town in the mountains like Castlegar or Fernie...nope. I didn't know much about Alberta back then lol. RMH is a nice town, just seriously misnamed.
Wait till you go to Hudson's Bay, Saskatchewan.

Grizz