Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2019, 10:51 PM

Default Ride cautiously

Well just got back from my 4th or 5th Search and Rescue. (We are up over 18 now) Common theme is people riding outside their abilities and getting in to a hell hole nobody has any business being in. For the sledding folk please be cautious be prepared and don’t ride outside of your abilities!! Not only do you put yourself at risk but the SAR volunteers and LEOs that go out to save you. One of our volunteers dislocated his elbow tonight trying to get back to a stuck/lost rider.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:06 PM

Good thread.
Too many have died driving stupid or driving drunk. A drunk on a sled rarely ends well.
Be safe Rob.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-20-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Good thread.
Too many have died driving stupid or driving drunk. A drunk on a sled rarely ends well.
Be safe Rob.
Well we already had one fatality a week ago tomorrow due to a sled running a stop sign. Apparently they don’t fair to well when hit by a vehicle at a perpendicular direction. Wife life flighted out with multiple broken bones. Husband died on scene.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:49 AM

Had a double fatal in BC last week, high marking in a posted high avalanche area, tough to fix stupid.

Grizz
Old 01-21-2019, 09:04 AM

"YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID" You d_m right it is but the very people we trust to rescue us are the ones getting hurt.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:06 AM

Thank you fordtruckin for your service!
Old 01-21-2019, 10:17 AM

Back in the day when 670's were big, you assessed your ability and the sleds ability to get you in and out. Now these 800's get you anywhere, just have to have the balls to "drop" in for a look, we can get out is the thought process.

I have less urge to ride in the mountains these days than before as the mentality we can now go 3 valleys away for the "great" snow is too strong. To get there, you usually have to go through some sketchy areas.

Not for me. Thanks for doing what you do to keep others safe Truckin.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:45 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Well we already had one fatality a week ago tomorrow due to a sled running a stop sign. Apparently they don’t fair to well when hit by a vehicle at a perpendicular direction. Wife life flighted out with multiple broken bones. Husband died on scene.
That's awful, it is just amazing how stupid people are some days. There are so many ways to die without tempting fate. What a horrible thing to go through.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-21-2019, 11:06 AM
Banned

Sage advice from a seasoned vet.
Not how you want to meet these guys, by coming to help your stupid ass.
Same goes for quad users.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:13 AM

This is the primary reason I haven’t been to the mountains this year. All my testosterone fuelled buddies feel like heroes on their big longtrack 800s with 3” paddles thinking they’re invincible and can go anywhere.

That and the secondary reason of my sled running like a pile of junk this year.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:45 PM
Suspended User

Wish more people paid attention. We had a woman crushed by a quad behind our campsite a few years ago. Totally preventable and very sad.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:45 PM

Good advice. Play safe out there and don't take unnecessary risk.
Its staggering to hear, how many mountain riders that die are from the Edmonton area.
It makes sense if you think about it.
But crazy, and senseless.
Brad
Old 01-21-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Sage advice from a seasoned vet.
Not how you want to meet these guys, by coming to help your stupid ass.
Same goes for quad users.
And horseback riders and hunters and ice climbers and skiers…and and and…
I want to extend my gratitude to our volunteer S&R folks for their dedication and service. Also some of our unsung heroes are our volunteer fire departments that probably are on the scene as well.
Kudos to all of you folks. You are my heroes.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal R. View Post

And horseback riders and hunters and ice climbers and skiers…and and and…
I want to extend my gratitude to our volunteer S&R folks for their dedication and service. Also some of our unsung heroes are our volunteer fire departments that probably are on the scene as well.
Kudos to all of you folks. You are my heroes.
I would like to say the same thing, many thanks to anyone working in S&R. I experienced an accident last summer and had to make a call to get rescued. We were ok, but stranded and needed help. Was impressed with their professionalism and ensuring me that it wasn't my fault that we nearly died.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:30 PM

If you want to kill yourself - fine - but you often bring other people with you. Over the years in SAR I had 8 friends die and many more with bent and broken bodies saving your sorry ass.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 01-21-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
This is the primary reason I haven’t been to the mountains this year. All my testosterone fuelled buddies feel like heroes on their big longtrack 800s with 3” paddles thinking they’re invincible and can go anywhere.

That and the secondary reason of my sled running like a pile of junk this year.
Now with the 850s and 174” tracks you can get places God never meant man to go on a snowmobile. Local company is turboing their 850s getting over 240hp on pump gas and renting them to first time riders. Rumor has it skidoo is bringing out a 185” track next year. I hate to think what new SAR hell that will bring.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:21 PM
Banned

I’m not much of a sledder or off roader, but are there any costs/fines to the riders who need rescue or cause damage by causing a avalanche? I know the costs of rescue are not cheap and I’m sure hoping the costs are billed directly to those who choose to use it.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:24 PM

Shoulda only allowed snow machines as big as the Yamaha Bravo in Canada . Reliable lightweight and 250 cc of pure power ! who needs to go faster than 30 kmh
Old 01-21-2019, 06:25 PM

Good job saving people's lives but you don't even need to go to the mountains this year, plenty of snow around here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190120_125901_resized_1.jpg (44.1 KB, 86 views)
Old 01-21-2019, 06:34 PM

I just shake my head when I hear that some some fellow is high marking with his sled way in the back country, creates an avanlanche, and gets killed. There's always this talk about how good of a fellow he was and what a shame it is to leave a widow and a couple of kids...….
Old 01-21-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I just shake my head when I hear that some some fellow is high marking with his sled way in the back country, creates an avanlanche, and gets killed. There's always this talk about how good of a fellow he was and what a shame it is to leave a widow and a couple of kids...….
Yes unfortunately, I read about these incidents every year!
Old 01-21-2019, 06:51 PM

Friend I went to school and graduated with lost his 23 year old son last week in a snowmobile crash in NB. He hit a tree, died on the scene. NB has a groomed trail network that goes all over the province these trails are extensive and you can go across the province in much less time than you can in a car on the highways..when you can go cross country on the trail network on bone stock machines capable of 100+ mph.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223MB View Post
I’m not much of a sledder or off roader, but are there any costs/fines to the riders who need rescue or cause damage by causing a avalanche? I know the costs of rescue are not cheap and I’m sure hoping the costs are billed directly to those who choose to use it.
Not a cent

Let's hope that selfie clown in Ottawa doesn't start taxing the rescuers

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 01-21-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrib View Post
Shoulda only allowed snow machines as big as the Yamaha Bravo in Canada . Reliable lightweight and 250 cc of pure power ! who needs to go faster than 30 kmh
When I was 15 I used the money I made that summer to buy a new to me 1975 arctic cat panther 440. Now that was a Cadillac of a machine
Hats off to S&R!!
Old 01-21-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannerdog View Post
When I was 15 I used the money I made that summer to buy a new to me 1975 arctic cat panther 440. Now that was a Cadillac of a machine
Hats off to S&R!!
Damn straight that was a Cadillac.

I remember when dad came home with a new Everest 440. Thought it was just like riding in his Lincoln Continental he bought that same year. Those were the days. Sleds do not ever need to go beyond what those ones did quite well.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:29 PM

Fordtruckin, thank you for your service.

Are you affected by the shutdown?
Old 01-21-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannerdog View Post
Hats off to S&R!!
Yes hats off to them. Courageous life saving individuals.

Also, your post reminds me of a story my grandpa told me. Somewhere in the 70s him and his BIL received each $1000, forget the exact reason why. My grandpa went out and bought a top of the line snowmobile and some beer. His BIL used his as a down payment on a piece of land near Pigeon Lake, which he just sold a few years back for many times over his original investment all those decades back. My grandpa still kicks himself over that one lol
Old 01-21-2019, 08:36 PM
Banned

Heading out tomorrow. Seemed back in the day that you only rode the skidoo as far as you could walk back let alone make it to the mountains. Now they're pushing 250 hp and going over top of the mountain.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Fordtruckin, thank you for your service.

Are you affected by the shutdown?
Yes and No. lol, I am a State of Montana employee so I still get paid. My wife is a Federal Employee and is classified as "essential" so she has to keep working, but hasn't gotten paid for a month now. She is an emergency communications operator for Yellowstone National Park. Call 911 in Yellowstone area and chances are she will answer if it goes to her station.

I do ride with a Forest Service LEO that is in the same boat. He is "essential" so he has to keep working. He was with us on the SAR last night. We were both bagged today so they took another team in. They got the kid out, but it sounds like it was absolute hell on them. Took another 5 hours this morning, even after they rode in the trail we broke through last night. We got to within 1/4 mile of the kid last night. Talked with a couple of the team today and they said it was the worst place they have ever ridden. Makes me wonder what in the crap a this 17 year old from Minnesota thought he was doing.

We had another SAR today in addition to continuing the one from last night. Sled vs Tree..... I should buy stock in snowmobile parts.....
Old 01-21-2019, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
Not a cent

Let's hope that selfie clown in Ottawa doesn't start taxing the rescuers
My personal opinion is if someone is out there knowing the risk and something happens all costs should be on them. Just like if I choose to go hunting and need rescue I’d have no issue forking up the bill for my recovery costs as I knew the risk associated with the activity I choose to do.