Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-04-2012, 08:45 AM

Question Surplus brass

Quick question, My 7.62X39mm fmj surplus casings can I use them from reloading?? Or would i just be better off all together getting new brass.
Thanks winger7mm
Old 01-04-2012, 08:50 AM

Steel cases, and Berdan primed...Not gonna be a good option.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-04-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Quick question, My 7.62X39mm fmj surplus casings can I use them from reloading?? Or would i just be better off all together getting new brass.
Thanks winger7mm
MILSURP brass is a bit heaveir than civilian brass is, so it has a bit less capacity.
You also need to do a bit more work as the primer pockets are crimped, so need to be worked a bit.
other than that , if you can get some matched brass of out it, it's okay.
However, fpr steel cased stuff , no, it is junk brass.
Cat
Old 01-04-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Thanks winger7mm
Some of the milsurp brass has two flash holes, so if you don't want to bend the decapper pin, I would buy commercial reloadable brass.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
Some of the milsurp brass has two flash holes, so if you don't want to bend the decapper pin, I would buy commercial reloadable brass.
With that stuff you need to use berdan primers as well, I don't think boxer primers will work because of the anvil style.
Cat
Old 01-04-2012, 11:51 AM

budget shooter supply has 7.62x39 brass and bullets. I would'nt fancy shoving a steel case into my die.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
With that stuff you need to use berdan primers as well, I don't think boxer primers will work because of the anvil style.
Cat
Can you even buy Berdan primers here? Berdan, the anvil is part of the case, Boxer it's part of the primer.

Grizz
Old 01-04-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Can you even buy Berdan primers here? Berdan, the anvil is part of the case, Boxer it's part of the primer.

Grizz
Yup, you can buy them, I have some brass shotgun cases that take Berdan primers.
You can buy a fancy ( and expensive) decapping lever for them, but I find it much easier just to use a sharp awl.
Cat
Old 01-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Gone Hunting

It is also possible to alter Berdan cases to use boxer primers, but its a tricky time consuming process.

Since most of the 7.62 X 39 surplus ammo is steal cased, I wouldn't bother.
First, there can be issues with the cases stress cracking after only one firing.
Second, there is the issue of dealing with the Berdan priming system.
And I have heard the there can be problems with excessive blow-by with steel cases.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:27 PM

Talking Hmmmm.

Well First off I did not know that the 7.62X39 case was steel, I didnt think otherwise but now I know. So I am assuming that steel is harder on the equipment due to being a harder material then brass, sure makes sence lmao. So I guess my question was answered, Surplus cases are good for one thing, first shot and the garbage lol. Thanks for your input fellas got a whack load of cases to toss out now hahaha. Havent got my reloading kit yet but Im working on it. Thanks again for real answers hehehe
Old 01-05-2012, 12:52 AM
Banned

I reload for the 7.62x39 and 7.62x54 and in both cases I buy Privi Partisan soft points. I shoot them off and keep the brass. They are not consistent anyways. The surplus seems to be better than them. But I hunt with my reloads, and plink with surplus.

I have been able to reload 4 times so far without problems. I have used both Barnes bullets and Hornady bullets. I have not hit anything like a deer with them yet, but I have seen the results of other Barnes bullets, so suspect they will be similar with the 7.62x39. Depending what rifle you shoot from, your patterns will be different with different grains of powder. I have seen 4 inch differences between a half grain, moving from left to right. And My sks is different to my hunting rifle in the same chambering.