Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-26-2015, 01:18 PM

Default A Pair of Savages in .223 and .270/30-06 or Thompson Center Dimension?

Hello All,

I'm at the point in my fairly early hunting career where I'm looking to buy that first hunting rifle.
I would consider myself a decent shot. Not a great shot but decent at least. I've put a couple hundred rounds through a few different .22s and tried my hand at several of my friend's hunting rifle's on paper targets.

I've been on a few hunts and have a few more planned for the fall. Before I turn my aim (literally) towards a game animal I want to become a better shot. I mean from all positions, off-hand etc.

The .22 is a good gun for practice of course but I wouldn't mind having a .223 to also practice on to more closely mimick the gun I will be hunting with (likely .270 or 30-06 but still to be decided...)

Now lets say I really want a .223 because they're fun to shoot, have low recoil and ammo is cheap and because I could have two identical guns, one in .223 for practice and one in .270 or 30-06 etc for hunting.

Would I be better off buying two package Savage 11/111s with the cheap whatever-it-is scope they come with, or investing in a Thompson Center Dimension platform?

I figure with the dimension I'd buy the second barrel, bolt, mag and swap from .223 to .270 a couple weeks before hunting season. I would only need one scope so I'd spend the money on a decent one.

Can anyone speak from experience on the quality, accuracy, durability etc of the Dimension platform?

Oh and I should mention that I shoot left which of course narrows down my choices of bolt guns.

Thanks!!
Old 06-26-2015, 04:55 PM

Savages are good guns. I've never had any issues with them. I can't comment on the scopes that come with them but they are probably not worth much. That being said, a savage 11 in .223 and a 110 in .270 or 30-06 would be in the same ballpark as a dimension with a second barrel. You can get a couple of cantilever scope mounts and pick up a second scope in the future. I haven't heard anything bad about the dimension but availability in canada seems to be hit and miss for components. (I've been eyeing one for awhile now - I'm a lefty also).

Some will comment on the savages being ugly and cheap. The same folks will say the dimension is fugly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But no one can argue that either platform does not perform. The dimension has an moa guarantee and the savage will plain shoot.

other options would be a mauser commercial from Zastava. Check out tradex. Also a Ruger American or for more bux the Hawkeye. Remington makes some inexpensive leftys if you can find them and the tikka t3 has a good reputation.

I guess if a switch barrel gun suits your needs go for it. If not you still have plenty of options.

Colin
Old 06-27-2015, 03:19 PM

Why not just buy a 308? will still take elk and moose, plus the recoil isn't bad and bulk ammo is available.

take a look at T/C's single shot platforms too, I'm eyeing up an Encore.

personally I think both savages 11s and T/C bolt actions are fugly... but they should both be great guns and I doubt you'd be unhappy with either purchase.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 06-27-2015, 03:51 PM

I personally own the Encore, it seems to be in the "mixed bag" quality wise when you look at new production.... Lots of sloppy and poorly finished chambers... Mine is somewhat older and dident succumb to the QC issues... Maybe they got there poop in a group but look it over carefully if you are considering the purchase... I never once felt handicapped with a single shot over a bolt gun.

I own 5 savages at the moment, all excellent rifles and none of them are the Axis model...
I have probably bought and sold another 6-8 Savages not for any reason but I got tired of them, all shot very VERY well... My most recent purchase being an FCSS in 30-06, I received a much nicer rifle recently as a gift in the same chambering and I have no thought what so ever of selling my Savage...

As for switch barrel capability... Not sure what TC charges for a Dimension barrel but I can get select match stainless tubes for my savage's around $500 pre threaded and it takes about an hour to swap them over.... Aftermarket stock's, canted rail's, trigger's, easy to modify, part's are pretty common.... Lots of good things in the savage corner.

.....you won't like me when I'm angry...
.....heck you probably won't like me even when I'm not
Old 06-27-2015, 03:58 PM

Although I'm not necessarily a huge fan of the remingtons, that new 783 seems like a decent rifle for the price. They don't come in .223, but you can get it in 22-250.

The savage trophy hunter XP would be a great option as well. They come with accutrigger and a weaver scope. The scope is not exactly top of the line, but I think it would work well.

Ruger American seems like a decent rifle as well. I personally don't like the look of the stock.

Winchester has a new low cost rifle out now too. I think it is only available in .270,30-06,7mm, and 300 win mag though! Which is the same for the browning AB3.

Mossberg has the new patriot rifle as well. A lot of cheaper options out there these days.

I would personally want different styles of rifle for different calibers. Just mainly so you don't mix up the ammo!!

With all the options out there, you'll find something you like. Just remember, everyone you talk to has a different opinion. Do your research, shoulder the rifles in your price range, and choose the one that feels right! Good luck!!
Old 06-30-2015, 09:27 AM

Thanks all for the good advice.
Some really good points made. I appreciate the help!

Certainly good aftermarket support for Savages should I choose to go that route.

I find the Encore Pro Hunter Single shot appealing despite the price... The real unknown for me there is accuracy. I've never thought of a break-action as a precision shooting platform.

Can anyone comment on the accuracy of their Encore Pro Hunter?
Old 06-30-2015, 09:44 AM

Tc contenders and encores have a reputation for being extremely accurate. I have heard mixed results from the prohunters in the last couple of years. A symptom of ramped up production? I don't know. Also depends on your idea of accurate. I think most tc barrels will be at least close to moa before handloading. Better with a well developed load.

Colin
Old 06-30-2015, 06:34 PM

My 20" Khatadin barrel will throw hand loaded 405gr cast bullets into a 2" group at 100M (45/70)
My 7-08 barrel would shoot around the 1-1.25" mark repeatedly and had no issue nailing a buck last year at 310 meters BANG/Flop where he stood
My .416 Rigby probably shoots better than me... Hard to tell what's happening after 5-6 shot's.

Google Bellums TC's and check out what he has to say... Lots of info on his site regarding the encore.

.....you won't like me when I'm angry...
.....heck you probably won't like me even when I'm not

Tags
browning, optics, remington, ruger, savage