Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-07-2022, 08:31 PM

Default The mess that has developed in Vancouver

A very interesting video on the state of Vancouver's approach to its drug issue. An hour well spent in my opinion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT8OU8Yhs_s&t=1542s.
Old 10-07-2022, 08:39 PM

Vancouver is a lost cause, this is what happens with the woke running things.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:08 PM

When you accommodate, welcome, sponsor, openly enable, provide shoot up clinics, clean needles and nurses to monitor injections, teams running around reviving overdosed people....... What did they think would happen.

Alberta should provide free transportation to BC for these people so they can go where they are welcomed and wanted.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Vancouver is a lost cause, this is what happens with the woke running things.
Canadas Portland!
Old 10-07-2022, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
When you accommodate, welcome, sponsor, openly enable, provide shoot up clinics, clean needles and nurses to monitor injections, teams running around reviving overdosed people....... What did they think would happen.

Alberta should provide free transportation to BC for these people so they can go where they are welcomed and wanted
Now there is a great idea,load up the homeless, and drug addicts in a bus, and deliver them to Vancouver, let Vancouver deal with them.
Old 10-07-2022, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Canadas Portland!
Unfortunately true...

Old 10-08-2022, 05:24 AM

Vancouver has been a cesspool for a long time and the lower mainland in general has had major drug issues for as long as I can remember. Areas of the city have been cleaned up or should I say pushed elsewhere many times

The whole lower mainland area has major drug issues and this partly do to how available they area for starters. The border and the port play a large roll in this because of it being an area drugs are imported into the country. Add in the level of immigration to the area. Yes majority are just people that come to Canada to live an honest life others do not. The portion that do not often bring criminal connections from overseas. Then you have the long history of drugs coming in at the US border through everything from simple smuggling to tunnels. There was a time BC bud was trade straight across for the same weight in US coke

Then you can add in the large number of gangs exploiting the drug trade and the area is saturated with drugs

The level of homeless in the area adds another factor and the milder weather plays a roll here

The poverty not just homeless in the lower mainland plays another big role. There is a large number of people scraping by do to poor wages vs expenses. It’s also much more difficult to find average employment to support a family. This developed families that are basically generations of welfare cases. The never developed a drive to do better because they never seen anything but their parents collect a check and run scams/theft. As soon as the kids qualify for welfare the parents encourage it. It’s an ugly cycle and unless kids have major drive to do better then there parents it continues. Not giving anyone excuses just mentioning the cycle I seen play out

This is just touching on part of the issues

I would love to blame the whole woke culture and their babying of addiction but it goes much deeper then that. I do believe they help speed up the process and possibly add to it. Really the Vancouver area has been a downward spiral for a long time

There is a reason many call the area the lower wasteland

Best thing I ever did was leave that crap hole
Old 10-08-2022, 06:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

So gross.

Every time I go into any city I simply can’t wait to get the heck out.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-08-2022, 07:05 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
So gross.

To be fair... Anytime I go into any city I can't wait to get the heck out. haha!

Like any city, there are areas that are bad and areas not so bad. Too bad cities suck in general, especially ones where living outdoors year round is easier. It is always going to attract that element. Makes sense really.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 10-08-2022, 07:10 AM

Would be somewhat ignorant to think Alberta wouldn’t be a hotbed of homeless addicts if winter didn’t cleanse the streets.
Old 10-08-2022, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Would be somewhat ignorant to think Alberta wouldn’t be a hotbed of homeless addicts if winter didn’t cleanse the streets.
It’s more than just the weather that created the addiction issues in the lower mainland. Most addicts are not homeless but instead just group up to rent locations they flop at. Many may not have a permanent residence but instead drift from flop house to flop house too

The truly on the streets homeless the weather I do agree plays a roll but this is not what created the lower wastelands addiction problem

Alberta has its fair share of junkies but it’s not that causes lower number of addicts compared to the lower mainland
Old 10-08-2022, 07:39 AM

Meanwhile in Edmonton...

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/edmonton...2026-1.6086932

Call me stupid, but perhaps some of this "bike trail" funding could go towards the homeless/addicts? Of course not...not a priority I guess...
Old 10-08-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Meanwhile in Edmonton...

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/edmonton...2026-1.6086932

Call me stupid, but perhaps some of this "bike trail" funding could go towards the homeless/addicts? Of course not...not a priority I guess...
Personally I'd rather see tax dollars spent on tax payers. But that's just me (a tax payer)
Old 10-08-2022, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
I agree with this.

I’d add that the state of homelessness and drug use in Alberta has grown exponentially in the last number of years as well. I’ve been taking the c-train for the last month and a bit to get to SAIT. It has been a real eye-opener. It was not a tenth this bad 20 years ago. The police are non-existent… I think they have simply given up… And I don’t blame them.

In my opinion, the main thing that has changed are the drugs: opiates such as fentanyl. People point to things like left woke politics, or right wing war on drugs, etc. I’m not convinced these are the source of most issues. And I have no idea what are solutions to this societal mess.
Old 10-08-2022, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
So gross.

Last time I was in Vancouver a couple of years ago, we had to step over people sleeping on the sidewalks, Politicians are incredibly stupid. Merchants sure weren't impressed, one sign of the problems was that the washrooms in most public areas, including Mac Donalds, were closed, I see the same in Red Deer these days.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 10-08-2022, 08:23 AM

Red Deer has been the ******* for decades. Now Lethbridge and Medicine Hat are turning horribly bad. Cold winter should push them west.
Old 10-08-2022, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
Red Deer has been the ******* for decades. Now Lethbridge and Medicine Hat are turning horribly bad. Cold winter should push them west.
Can confirm, Lethbridge has turned into a cesspool.
Old 10-08-2022, 12:06 PM

Rumour has it they sent a bunch up to FSJ lately, sure does seem like it’s true, lots more wandering the streets, hopefully they keep lots of shear bolts on hand this winter for the city snow blowers.
Old 10-08-2022, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
Can confirm, Lethbridge has turned into a cesspool.
More so again if NDP win the next election. The previous Lethbridge City Council and NDP Shannon Philips strongly endorsed this crazy enablement idea. Know City Police and EMS that were overwhelmed with the BS.
Old 10-08-2022, 01:31 PM

Legalize and make crack, heroin, meth, and fentanyl totally free.
Crime rate drops drastically and you’ll have less addicts because they will be killing themselves.
Moose for mayor.
Old 10-08-2022, 01:33 PM

Seriously though, small towns have just as much or more meth in them per capita. Only difference is they usually have somewhere to hang their hat and living on the street isn’t even an option.
Old 10-08-2022, 01:42 PM

I enjoyed how the retired Cop points fingers at city counsel, and the woke Mayors. Yet the city council trying to defund the police. This problem exists throughout North America. I have witnessed this from San Diego, Honolulu, Anaheim, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle to Vancouver. The complete west coast has become tent Cities. How the young lady needs $300.00/ daily to pay for her drugs. This is why thefts are increasing exponentially (truck, watches, phones, wallets, etc). We are witnessing real time demise of Western Society, as we rot within (Rome also fell). Ugly yes.
Old 10-08-2022, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hogfarmer View Post
Rumour has it they sent a bunch up to FSJ lately, sure does seem like it’s true, lots more wandering the streets, hopefully they keep lots of shear bolts on hand this winter for the city snow blowers.
Replace with grade 8. Finish the job
Old 10-08-2022, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Seriously though, small towns have just as much or more meth in them per capita. Only difference is they usually have somewhere to hang their hat and living on the street isn’t even an option.
This is true. Small town Alberta is getting bad due to cheap(er) housing. Been like that for quite some time
Old 10-08-2022, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Replace with grade 8. Finish the job
We’d get along great!
Old 10-08-2022, 06:40 PM

Just took a tour down Hastings. Yup, pretty bad. But that was on our way to a more enjoyable place
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5B633865-6A81-43AA-8A60-DC49F3502837.jpg (25.9 KB, 149 views)
Old 10-08-2022, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Now there is a great idea,load up the homeless, and drug addicts in a bus, and deliver them to Vancouver, let Vancouver deal with them.
You really mean't to say a Boeing 747....
Old 10-09-2022, 07:54 AM

The Chinese sent us this problem when any dealer could mail order fentanyl.
Their job was done very well indeed. The only option I see is make it all free, Talking Moose is right. In order to reduce property crimes I don’t see any other way.
Old 10-09-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
The Chinese sent us this problem when any dealer could mail order fentanyl.
Their job was done very well indeed. The only option I see is make it all free, Talking Moose is right. In order to reduce property crimes I don’t see any other way.
Yep, Darwin’s law. Survival of the fittest.
Old 10-09-2022, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
To be fair... Anytime I go into any city I can't wait to get the heck out. haha!

Like any city, there are areas that are bad and areas not so bad. Too bad cities suck in general, especially ones where living outdoors year round is easier. It is always going to attract that element. Makes sense really.
Sadly there are tent camps for druggies in small towns in BC. In Parksville they camp under the bridge on the south side of town.

Everyone I went in BC this year… many small towns… druggies staggering around, sleeping in ditches, walking around parking lots. Very sad..

There are tents along the TransCanada one you pass Chillawack heading west.

The YouTube clip was well done. Made a lot of sense. And so sad it seems true.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin