Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-13-2023, 10:40 AM

Question Only Doe’s?

Just over a month ago I gained permission on an 80 acre parcel in the strathcona bow zone, I am fairly new to bowhunting and just sitting in one small area in general. I have placed out a few trail cameras on some beaten trails between some pretty thick cover and a big slew, these cameras have had pretty good success and have had a lot of activity, every couple hours I have a couple does or a doe and a fawn across the camera. Seems like a pretty healthy population. My only concern is that in this month I have not had a single picture of a buck. I’m wondering if this is something I should be concerned about and try thinking of a new area to setup operations or if this would be considered more of a good thing as once late October - mid November hits and the bucks start moving to find does they will move onto the property… just wondering if there’s anything I can do to try and entice more bucks to use the property, or if I’m just SOL….
Old 07-13-2023, 11:01 AM

80 acres is not that much land to manage buck/doe ratios or try and improve habitat especially between now and hunting season.

You can try clearing out trails as well if the landowner is okay with it. What does the land owner do with the land? Is the any crop land adjacent that the deer will be feeding in?
Old 07-13-2023, 11:26 AM

Friends have about 100 acres of woods surrounding 2 small farm fields. At this time of the year I get mostly does with their fawns and the smaller bucks on my cameras. By August I will start seeing the bigger bucks still in Velvet. By Sept, I start seeing what's really walking around as far as bucks go.

I would not worry too much yet. If there are does, the bucks will find them in Nov. Seems to be the case at my friends farm. Come Oct & Nov, there are always a few nice boys getting their pictures taken while walking the trails, making scrapes & looking for love. You need this whole season to really get a feel of what walks through your 80 acres.

Good luck
Old 07-13-2023, 11:34 AM

Just wait. If the does are there, the bucks will be as well.

I have nothing but pics of does on my cams, until about oct rolls around and they start filtering in.
Old 07-13-2023, 12:06 PM

Not always a bad thing

Theses bucks are from a spot that had nothing but does till November. This is just the 3 biggest that consistently hung around for the rut and there were others

Some spots hold bucks all year and some areas don’t. Some bucks hang out in a core area and some roam.

Come the rut those that roam show up with the does

If there is evidence of rubs/scraps from last year’s rut I would say you just have to wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2023, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Just wait. If the does are there, the bucks will be as well.

I have nothing but pics of does on my cams, until about oct rolls around and they start filtering in.
This is what I would say. Find the feed source - find the does. Find the does - you find the bucks - at the right time.

As DiapeticKripple and Smoky Buck have done, show patience, and you too will soon walk in the way of the Jedi
Old 07-13-2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith88 View Post
80 acres is not that much land to manage buck/doe ratios or try and improve habitat especially between now and hunting season.

You can try clearing out trails as well if the landowner is okay with it. What does the land owner do with the land? Is the any crop land adjacent that the deer will be feeding in?
Land owner doesn’t have much happening on the land, right behind the house there’s a small clearing that the kids will camp in a couple times during the summer, as well as they have 4 horses but 95% of the time they are in a small pen behind the house as well unless they are out of town for an extended period of time. As for ag land, there’s almost nothing within a couple miles of the property. There’s some open areas with somewhat tall grass that I have seen deer feeding in down the road…. There is a small opening on the property I have permission ~1.5 acres of knee deep grass and flowers but haven’t been in there to see if deer are feeding in there.
Old 07-13-2023, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Not always a bad thing

Theses bucks are from a spot that had nothing but does till November. This is just the 3 biggest that consistently hung around for the rut and there were others

Some spots hold bucks all year and some areas don’t. Some bucks hang out in a core area and some roam.

Come the rut those that roam show up with the does

If there is evidence of rubs/scraps from last year’s rut I would say you just have to wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome,hopefully I have the same luck haha. there’s a few smaller scrapes on the path I’m on but I will try and do some more scouting and see what other signs I can find.
Old 07-13-2023, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot82 View Post
Awesome,hopefully I have the same luck haha. there’s a few smaller scrapes on the path I’m on but I will try and do some more scouting and see what other signs I can find.
I have multiple areas that are just like the one I posted pics from that it’s doe only till November. Using doe’s for bait is about the only way to key in on inconsistent bucks that roam

Personally I would say if you are on old rut sign and does with a good ambush point don’t disturb the area too much. Leave the cam in there and only check it once a month. If the does stay consistent to the area still in mid October set it up and plan to hunt it in November

You don’t want to push the area too hard looking for sign when you have decent sigh already. If the does feel safe and comfortable combined with basic needs being near by to keep them there you have the best possible legal buck bait for the rut. Last thing you want to do is push those does out of the area

Sometimes you just need to have faith and wait patiently for seasonal routines to play out
Old 07-14-2023, 12:23 PM

Does hit the best food. Bucks find the does. The big questions are:
a) how in the hell did you get permission to hunt in dipperville, on a horsey property no less??
b) is there the right mix of food and cover to hold does in November?

Thats really tough to know until you hunt for a season, because there are so many factors that can move deer around, and there’s no real way to tell if old buck sign is from any particular time.

I will say this, if you want to take a doe, get it done first week and then stay out till last week of October. 80 acres will burn out from pressure real quick. You can glass and trail cam until then to build intel.
Old 07-14-2023, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Does hit the best food. Bucks find the does. The big questions are:
a) how in the hell did you get permission to hunt in dipperville, on a horsey property no less??
b) is there the right mix of food and cover to hold does in November?

Thats really tough to know until you hunt for a season, because there are so many factors that can move deer around, and there’s no real way to tell if old buck sign is from any particular time.

I will say this, if you want to take a doe, get it done first week and then stay out till last week of October. 80 acres will burn out from pressure real quick. You can glass and trail cam until then to build intel.
Awesome, I will stay out of it as much as possible. I may take a doe the first week, I’ve never taken a deer with a bow and would love to get that experience and maybe help calm the nerves when a buck walks out. I’ll have to do some asking around and see if I can find someone in the family who wants the meat.

As for permission, I walked up to the house, shook the landowners hand and was pretty straight forward saying I 100% understand if you say no but i would love to hunt your property. He Said I’m only the third person to ever even ask for permission in the 30 years they have owned the property. And the first in the past 15 years. He put on his boots, gave me a full tour of the property. Seemed super excited he had someone wanting to hunt it and couldn’t wait to show me around the place.
Old 07-14-2023, 06:19 PM

The way you asked for permission is awesome. Warmed my heart to hear how that went.
- Took initiative, were polite, did it in person, and respectful regardless of a Yes or No.

Funny how that works...
Old 07-14-2023, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwee6 View Post
The way you asked for permission is awesome. Warmed my heart to hear how that went.
- Took initiative, were polite, did it in person, and respectful regardless of a Yes or No.

Funny how that works...
OP won the lottery, yes he did it right, but even when doing things right, 50% of the time they will yell at you, the other 49% they will call the cops and try to charge you with trespassing for knocking on the door. 0.99% will be polite but already have someone hunting. I’m referring to the bowzone only, not landowners in general.
Old 07-15-2023, 11:02 PM

In addition to the rest of the advice, I think I would try to get in there and build a mock scrape with a licking branch above it. The does will take it over and when a buck visits the area he should pay it a visit. Have a cell camera on it and then you’ll know exactly when it’s heating up in there. Personally I find deer will visit a licking branch throughout the year, if you can, set up in a spot you already think you will have a stand.
Old 07-16-2023, 01:42 AM

Quote:
OP won the lottery, yes he did it right, but even when doing things right, 50% of the time they will yell at you, the other 49% they will call the cops and try to charge you with trespassing for knocking on the door. 0.99% will be polite but already have someone hunting. I’m referring to the bowzone only, not landowners in general.
For real? I’m genuinely asking. My experiences have been quite the opposite. I’ve only been turned down twice. Once because they’ve had the same two “old fellas” hunting there for decades, the other by my next door neighbour as he lets nobody on to hunt. Which is fine. I don’t mind 240 acres of sanctuary next door. I did a quick tally and I think I currently have 440 acres of exclusive permission. Plus my own 80. I’ve only ever been asked for permission once by a young guy probably 7-8 years ago and we have lived here 17 years. Told him to leave his number and he could go if I tagged out - which I did. He took a buck days later from one of my stands. I’ve actually given up two properties in the last three years. Nearly all of the landowners like to have trail cam pictures shown to them from their ground. If I’m lucky enough to take a buck, they like to see them. One guy doesn’t hunt himself, but loves looking for sheds. We go out together a couple times every spring. Crazy how much experiences can differ.

PS: Way to go OP!
Old 07-16-2023, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
For real? I’m genuinely asking. My experiences have been quite the opposite. I’ve only been turned down twice. Once because they’ve had the same two “old fellas” hunting there for decades, the other by my next door neighbour as he lets nobody on to hunt. Which is fine. I don’t mind 240 acres of sanctuary next door. I did a quick tally and I think I currently have 440 acres of exclusive permission. Plus my own 80. I’ve only ever been asked for permission once by a young guy probably 7-8 years ago and we have lived here 17 years. Told him to leave his number and he could go if I tagged out - which I did. He took a buck days later from one of my stands. I’ve actually given up two properties in the last three years. Nearly all of the landowners like to have trail cam pictures shown to them from their ground. If I’m lucky enough to take a buck, they like to see them. One guy doesn’t hunt himself, but loves looking for sheds. We go out together a couple times every spring. Crazy how much experiences can differ.

PS: Way to go OP!
Yeah, for real. I grew up in the bow zone and was shocked at how I was treated as soon as the word “deer” was mentioned. Same people I’d chat with at the mail boxes, wave to when driving around, knew their kids, families, etc. The switch just flipped. Eventually found out an outfitter had locked up a bunch of properties, but that was maybe a quarter of the problem. The RCMP officer that showed up basically waved me off and said ya I’ll deal with it, was a pretty common call for him.

I’m genuinely asking, are you taking only about the bow zone? I’ve been told my experience was entirely normal and expected, both from other hunters I know and members on here.

Now if we are talking outside 247/248, ya it’s a different story.
Old 07-16-2023, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah, for real. I grew up in the bow zone and was shocked at how I was treated as soon as the word “deer” was mentioned. Same people I’d chat with at the mail boxes, wave to when driving around, knew their kids, families, etc. The switch just flipped. Eventually found out an outfitter had locked up a bunch of properties, but that was maybe a quarter of the problem. The RCMP officer that showed up basically waved me off and said ya I’ll deal with it, was a pretty common call for him.

I’m genuinely asking, are you taking only about the bow zone? I’ve been told my experience was entirely normal and expected, both from other hunters I know and members on here.

Now if we are talking outside 247/248, ya it’s a different story.
Geeze. Yes, I’m speaking strictly 248. Outside of 248 in other zones I have access to 1000s of acres. I hardly know any other people who hunt in the area so I was curious about your experience stated. I have a lower success rate in general zones to be honest. It would seem my luck is certainly not the norm.
Old 07-16-2023, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Awesome, I will stay out of it as much as possible. I may take a doe the first week, I’ve never taken a deer with a bow and would love to get that experience and maybe help calm the nerves when a buck walks out. I’ll have to do some asking around and see if I can find someone in the family who wants the meat.

As for permission, I walked up to the house, shook the landowners hand and was pretty straight forward saying I 100% understand if you say no but i would love to hunt your property. He Said I’m only the third person to ever even ask for permission in the 30 years they have owned the property. And the first in the past 15 years. He put on his boots, gave me a full tour of the property. Seemed super excited he had someone wanting to hunt it and couldn’t wait to show me around the place.
I had a sorta similar experience out in the Anselmo Hall area, between Whitecourt and Mayerthorpe.

I had a cow elk draw.

When I knocked on the door, an older fella came to the door and when he realized I wanted to hunt, he started vibrating. Angry. Like red in the face, ready to fight, clenching his fists angry.
This guy was a helluva nice older man, but was he torqued about hunters!

I told him straight up, "look I'm standing in front of you asking your permission, I'd never go on your land without your say so..."

But it took me some time to calm this guy down and get him to understand that I was not the typical trespassing scumbag.

Eventually this guy did calm down, and he gave us access to his land.

Also you have to understand this, not far down the road from this man's house, there was a 'No Hunting/No Trespassing' sign and literally within 15' of that sign there was the fresh drag mark of a dead deer. Right by the sign.

Pretty disgusting to see.

This was probably 25 years ago now and I haven't been interested in hunting private land since that time.

The hate that most local landowners have for hunters is easy to understand, unfortunately.

I also know a guy that lives in Edmonton, and his gang always hunted up in the west Fort Assiniboine/Horse Creek road area, if you know where that is.

Lot of private land but pushes up close to the crown land.

He told me flat out they hunted the fields, posted or not, those *******s that cruise the field edge at 2 kms per hour, and go from field to field. Too lazy to walk but also no concern for property rights.

I guess their belief was that deer were a public thing and property rights be damned.

They also knew they could drop a buck anywhere and have it loaded and gone before anybody could ever catch them.

I do commend you for asking the property owner straight up.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker

Last edited by Demonical; 07-16-2023 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2023, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
In addition to the rest of the advice, I think I would try to get in there and build a mock scrape with a licking branch above it. The does will take it over and when a buck visits the area he should pay it a visit. Have a cell camera on it and then you’ll know exactly when it’s heating up in there. Personally I find deer will visit a licking branch throughout the year, if you can, set up in a spot you already think you will have a stand.
Do you or anyone here by chance have any recommendation for what to use as my licking branch? I’ve read lots online about people using vines but that’s in the states. Just want to make sure me putting out a vine or something not natural to the area will make them less likely to use the path in general.
Old 07-18-2023, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Do you or anyone here by chance have any recommendation for what to use as my licking branch? I’ve read lots online about people using vines but that’s in the states. Just want to make sure me putting out a vine or something not natural to the area will make them less likely to use the path in general.
Personally I use whatever species of tree they tend to use when making their own licking branches. For that intel I just keep tabs on where their scrapes are during the winter. If you’re not sure but have a good spot with a couple good options make a mock scrape and licking branch under each and see which they end up taking over. It should happen within a couple days. If you have any other questions send a DM. I have been getting into the mock scrapes the past few years and was pleasantly surprised almost immediately.

Tags
bowhunting, buck, doe, strathcona