Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-07-2009, 06:16 PM

Default superformance?

Just saw some new ammo from Hornady.Don't know if it's out in Canada yet.It's saying you get all the power of the lightmag but with less recoil.I'm a big fan of the lightmag so I am looking forward to givin these a try.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:39 AM

I like the way it makes a 30-06 rev like a big block.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 12-08-2009, 01:31 PM

The Light mag ammo is excellent stuff. If the superformance is better, WOW!
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 12-08-2009, 01:43 PM
sheephunter

Beware of any ammo that claims to defy physics....
Old 12-08-2009, 03:51 PM

sst or gmx , any thoughts ? Next hunt is for caribou using my 7mmrm.leaning to trying the 139 gr sst,if they get them in that is.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:43 PM

I just went to P&D in Edmonton and asked the guy there about the superformance for 7mm and he hadnt heard of it yet. I am looking forward to trying out the 162gr load. Although the 154gr interbond (non-super) has the identical ballistics already...
Old 12-11-2009, 07:50 AM

There is an article in the last issue of rifle shooter mag on this new line of ammo, looks like it is only available in the sst or gmx, line of bullets, no interbonds yet.they are using powders developed by a private company not available to reloaders. And they are blending, and crushing powders, definitly out of the handloaders realm of knowlege, and safety limts. They are driving 130 gr .270 bullets at 3100 fps, not un attainable by handloading, but claim to do it with cooler burning powder and less case pressure, with a none compressed load. For guys that don't handload but want a fast hard hitting load this may be the ticket. MAY?
Old 12-11-2009, 08:05 AM

Remember gang, just because it's printed in a US magazine, it may take upwards of 2 years to see any quantity of this sort of stuff on Canadian shelves.

With the current glut/run on anything shooting related, I'm thinking it may be a longer than "normal" wait for this stuff to get in stock in any sort of quantity up here.

As someone eluded to earlier, the physics involved in a projectile being fired out a rifle are pretty standard, and a bit of powder change to acheive the same end result is likely only going to diminsh the recoil by a fractional amount, and the shooter will never benifit from a pound or two or less recoil energy.

Big advertising hype I suspect.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-11-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Beware of any ammo that claims to defy physics..
I guess sometimes we need to state the obvious.

when the 300 wsm came out, they claimed that it would equal or beat the 300 win mag. Now when we look through the reloading manual , we find most max loads run approx 50 fps short of what the 300win mag can produce.

Careful with what you read or hear
Old 12-11-2009, 08:11 PM

I picked up the magazine with the article on the new Hornady ammo yesterday, and thought of starting a thread on it myself last night. It seems like the R&D department at Hornady puts in a lot more overtime than the staff at other ammo manufacturers. The Ruger Compact Magnums, the LeverEvolution line, this new line of Superformance which had to account for a lot of load development considering the range of calibers they had to formulate recipes for. Then there's the GMX bullets and the handgun Critical Defense line. Do these guys even sleep?

I'm a big fan of their Light Magnum line and how well and clean it shoots in my .30-06 so I have high hopes for this new stuff. ( If it doesn't shoot as well thats OK, as I've stockpiled plenty of whats does work well for me, and started handloading too )
Old 12-12-2009, 10:12 PM

If your rifle likes the Light Magnum stuff you had better latch on to it, Hornady said that they will be discontinuing it soon due to the costly step of compressing the loads.

"they undergo chemical tweaks and degrees of crushing to meet the defined burning characteristics" We also do some blending of powders here at Hornady" (quoted from Wayne van Zwoll article in Jan/Feb Rifle Shooter Mag)
Old 12-13-2009, 07:20 PM

Some of the recent advances in solving mutiphysics problems and computational horsepower this does not seem inconceivable. Testing occurs over a period of weeks with computer models instead of years for producing a powder then testing it. I think overall this is why we are seeing such a rapid progression of technology in bullets, powder, and cartridge design. Pretty cool even if its half of what is advertised.

It says on their website they have a powder that progressively burns which I am guessing would provide a more level and efficient pressure curve instead of heavily loaded on the front end and quickly tapering off.

Defying physics....probably not, its likely a better understanding as a result of improvements in technology but time will tell when field testing occurs.

Link of hornady webpage describing their techno info:
http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/...technology.pdf

Last edited by Traps; 12-13-2009 at 07:29 PM. Reason: added webpage
Old 12-13-2009, 08:46 PM
Banned

What's the hype all about? I've been blending powders for a while now. Just a couple of weeks ago, I dumped some H380 that was in my Chargemaster into a canister of IRM4895. I'm still looking for volunteers to test fire this stuff
Old 01-31-2010, 08:28 AM

Well there is a pretty detailed look at the process of making these loads and some comparison's to other factory loads, in last issue of shooting times, pretty intersting read.Every load has it's own powder combo, they state that a .243 with an 80 gr pill differs from one with 100. gr pill. Not just a different charge, but a different blend of powders as well to optimize performance. They are also the first to admit that there old light mag loads had a lot more powder, which got a bigger muzzle blast more recoil and only gained minimal fps over standard loads. I'll still be hand loading it's a past time for me, but this is still an interesting read and I wonder how long before you'll be able to custom order lots of these powders for a specfic cal/bullet combo. Now that would be way cool and I bet there would be a good market for it.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:19 AM

I'm glad to see this thread, because I logged on to-day specifically to start one on the Superformance. I was wondering how long it would take to see some appear in Canada.

Because I'm new enough to hunting not to have a rave fave ammo yet, I figured I'd give both a try and see which my rifle likes better, though I like the lead-free concept.

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.