Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2018, 10:24 AM

Default Damage to truck roof in parkade

Long story short:
Took my truck to a detailing place in the basement of the parkade in 8th Ave Place. Sign says 6 foot, 11 inches. I stop to measure, look out my sunroof and I have 2-3 inches clearance... Perfect. Drive down to the 5th floor, just in front of the car detailer and I hear a nasty grinding, rubbing. I stop, stand on my running board to look and sure enough my roof is rubbing against the clamp on one of the pipes. I back up and try to avoid that clamp and move forward to where the detailers tell me to park and I hit another clamp, this one a bit lower.
I am fuming, discuss this with the car detailers which cannot hardly speak English. I then go up to talk to the person at the front desk of the building who gives me a name and number. I have been talking to him this week and he has been saying he will look into it. I have pictures, I explain to him that those clamps are no way 6 foot 11 inches and offer to take him down to show him exactly where this happened.
I received an email from him last night stating that if I haven't done so, to contact my insurance company...
Is he suggesting I go through my insurance and make a claim? I don't want to make a claim as I don't want my premiums to go up and this is not my fault.
I responded to him asking for an explanation on what they are going to do or if he is suggesting I make a claim through my insurance company... waiting for a response.

Any thoughts on what I should/need to be doing?

To those that are wondering, I drive a 2017 Ford 350. Stock tires and no lift kit...

Thanks,
SS
Old 03-23-2018, 10:33 AM

i have seen this happen to friends before, in their case the fire supression system was actually lower than the height indicated on the bump sign as you enter the parkade, the parkade or management company eventually ponied up.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:35 AM

Maybe contact the building's management company, or is that who you have been talking to? As with so many things these days, it seems basic responsibility is no longer a viable option and lawyers are loving life. Might have to contact one, or threaten to do so, if you want to take it that far.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:13 AM

Pictures tell a thousand words. Go to the parkade with a friend, a tape measure and either a laser level or a plumb bob. Measure the noted pipes, hangars and clamps, etc and do it on video. Take some still photos as well. You don't want those pipes to be raised by their fire sprinkler contractor prior to gathering your proof. If they do that you might be hooped, at the very least things would be made more difficult by such an action. Also take photos of their clearance signage.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:22 AM

Caber is spot on!!. Once you get all the documented proof you have two choices, file a small claims action, no lawyer needed and better off if you represent yourself anyhow, or get an experienced debt collector like Ken from here on AO to help you put pressure on the building to pay up. They are clearly liable so as long as you have good pictures of entrance, pipes clamps etc you will eventually win..
Old 03-23-2018, 11:32 AM
Banned

Couple of things:
-have you actually measured the height of the opening?
-is the ramp on any kind of incline
It may indeed be 6'11", but if their if the approach way is angled, and you have long wheelbase truck, though your vehicle may not be 6'11" high, the approach angle may cause it to exceed that measurement.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:37 AM
Banned

Why guys with big trucks insist they can go where ever a car can, stock or not is beyond me.

Sometimes just because you can fit,
Doesn't mean you should sit.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:39 AM
Banned

I'm not an expert but.......Ask him for his insurance policy number.....kind of like exchanging info at the scene of an accident. Take the info to your insurance broker and have them open a claim and let them sort it out. In the mean time, I'd be reporting it to my insurance broker so they could advise you and put it on file. I wouldn't open a claim until you have his info because you only have 30 days to proceed with the claim and then it might have to be covered by your insurance. At least with my insurance it's that way.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:44 AM

Just an FYI on this subject. I had a Ford F150 (factory configuration) and drove it into the underground parkade that is located in the rear of the building at the NW corner of Memorial Drive and 10th st NW Calgary. The clearance was ok going in but the exit was lower and it wouldn't fit. fortunately, I caught it in time and had to turn around and go out the entrance. My point being is, don't always count on the height given on the sign at the entrance.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Why guys with big trucks insist they can go where ever a car can, stock or not is beyond me.

Sometimes just because you can fit,
Doesn't mean you should sit.
Ridiculous comment. The sign is there to let you know how much room there is. Not everyone has a smart car.

Just what should he have done, measured every step along the way?

Leave the truck in the entrance?

Look for parkades with 10' of clearance to be on the safe side?

Maybe one day, when they design all the parkades to fit cars with 48" tall roofs you'll find your Buick just won't fit. And who will be to blame?

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 03-23-2018, 03:24 PM
Banned

Like Jack hardin said <, Get out and check for yourself, I trucked 37 years in B.C Alberta Sask and beyond IF you believe every sign that tells you height , width or other . The onus is on you to verify it is so! Same as water depth and diving in the dark , Check it out !
Old 03-23-2018, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Ridiculous comment. The sign is there to let you know how much room there is. Not everyone has a smart car.

Just what should he have done, measured every step along the way?

Leave the truck in the entrance?

Look for parkades with 10' of clearance to be on the safe side?

Maybe one day, when they design all the parkades to fit cars with 48" tall roofs you'll find your Buick just won't fit. And who will be to blame?

I guess you missed the FX4 as my avatar.

Thats ok.

Can't expect you to see it, if you are unable to see out your windshield that you are about to put your truck into someplace it ought not to go.

Like the possibility of hitting something, you maybe should have seen.

Of course park your truck in the parkade,
but some things may be lower than they appear.

As one other commenter said,
Do you trust every sign and every measurement you see?
Old 03-23-2018, 04:01 PM

Update:
Insurance company has been contacted and they are dealing with it. I will be getting the roof looked at and the damage appraised.

DID I MEASURE IT??? Isn't that what the hanging sign at the entrance to every parkade is for? TO MEASURE TO SEE IF YOU ARE WITHIN THE MAX HEIGHT

ETOWN- Why does it matter if Im driving a BIG truck or a smart car? If the parkade advertises that the max height is 6'11 and your BIG truck fits under the 6'11 entrance sign, than that should mean you can fit in the parkade. If there are pipes that are hanging at 6'8, than the Max height sign should read 6"8", not 6'11"
Why do you think they made a parkade with a max height of 6'11"? To fit your smart car or to fit the hundreds of SUVS, Vans and Trucks that are parked inside every parkade Ive been in.

Never fails, there is always one or 2 guys with these ridiculous comments on nearly every thread, no wonder so many have left this forum.

Thanks to those that actually added something constructive to my question.

Parfleche- please tell me what the purpose of the max height sign is at the entrance to these parkades? 6'11" is 6'11" where I come from, not 6'8"...

Over and out...
SS
Old 03-23-2018, 04:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
Update:
Insurance company has been contacted and they are dealing with it. I will be getting the roof looked at and the damage appraised.

DID I MEASURE IT??? Isn't that what the hanging sign at the entrance to every parkade is for? TO MEASURE TO SEE IF YOU ARE WITHIN THE MAX HEIGHT

ETOWN- Why does it matter if Im driving a BIG truck or a smart car? If the parkade advertises that the max height is 6'11 and your BIG truck fits under the 6'11 entrance sign, than that should mean you can fit in the parkade. If there are pipes that are hanging at 6'8, than the Max height sign should read 6"8", not 6'11"
Why do you think they made a parkade with a max height of 6'11"? To fit your smart car or to fit the hundreds of SUVS, Vans and Trucks that are parked inside every parkade Ive been in.

Never fails, there is always one or 2 guys with these ridiculous comments on nearly every thread, no wonder so many have left this forum.

Thanks to those that actually added something constructive to my question.

Parfleche- please tell me what the purpose of the max height sign is at the entrance to these parkades? 6'11" is 6'11" where I come from, not 6'8"...

Over and out...
SS

Every man lies about the measurement.

you want exact measurements.

You decided that 2 inches for your rig was enough .
Turned out to not be.

That is on you.

Also usually the upper level of a parkade is usually the highest so any manner of vehicles as you mentioned can park there.

By the time you get down a few levels that starts to diminish.

And I'm not sure were you went, but big pipes are hard to miss,
especially the ones painted red.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I guess you missed the FX4 as my avatar.

Thats ok.

Can't expect you to see it, if you are unable to see out your windshield that you are about to put your truck into someplace it ought not to go.

Like the possibility of hitting something, you maybe should have seen.

Of course park your truck in the parkade,
but some things may be lower than they appear.

As one other commenter said,
Do you trust every sign and every measurement you see?
Couldn't be bothered to check out your latest avatar. My vision is just fine, but I question how much of the original post you actually read.

Sharpstick clearly said he took note of the sign and then checked the clearance himself. If you check out truck specs, he should have 3" or more.

He went that way specifically to have his truck detailed, not to "see if he could make it" like you seem to be implying.

Would you have went in? You should have about a foot of clearance in a half ton.

Pureblood!
Old 03-23-2018, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Couldn't be bothered to check out your latest avatar. My vision is just fine, but I question how much of the original post you actually read.

Sharpstick clearly said he took note of the sign and then checked the clearance himself. If you check out truck specs, he should have 3" or more.

He went that way specifically to have his truck detailed, not to "see if he could make it" like you seem to be implying.

Would you have went in? You should have about a foot of clearance in a half ton.
No I wouldn't.

But anywhere's I get my truck detailed has a stand alone building with a parking lot.

And that avatar has been there for a couple years now at least.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:19 PM

it sounds to me that he did his due diligence. Checked the sign for the height requirements, That indicates the lowest point overhead.
There is a point lower then indicated. It needs to be fixed as does his roof.

I worked for a company who had a truck hit a overpass one day. I know the company had driven under that bridge with the same load 100 times or more.

DOT had a hay day on the driver and company, as did Transportation and Infrastructure.

Our safety guy went out and measured the overpass clearance. it was not what it was signed as. Turns out due to repaving and work done the road height was actually much higher then it was suppose to be. So the Overpass clearance was lower then signed. Lots of back pedaling by all ticket issuing authorities.

Make sure the parking lot pays for your repairs.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Every man lies about the measurement.

you want exact measurements.

You decided that 2 inches for your rig was enough .
Turned out to not be.

That is on you.

Also usually the upper level of a parkade is usually the highest so any manner of vehicles as you mentioned can park there.

By the time you get down a few levels that starts to diminish.

And I'm not sure were you went, but big pipes are hard to miss,
especially the ones painted red.
Speak for yourself!

Do you even read any of the drivel you post?

The upper levels are highest? You mean the top of an open parkade, right? Why would they put a roof on that?

And how do you get an oversize rig to the 5th or 6th level? Airlift?

Pureblood!
Old 03-23-2018, 04:22 PM

As a person who works on a number of commercial parkade's, the signage is required by the municipality, and should reflect the lowest point in the parkade ceiling with the exception of encroachments in the front of a parking stall.

We have had things happen where a trade comes in after the building is completed to do repairs, or retrofits for one reason or another and something gets installed below the min height.

The building operator / owner is required to have proper signage, at least in Calgary anyhow.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
No I wouldn't.

But anywhere's I get my truck detailed has a stand alone building with a parking lot.

And that avatar has been there for a couple years now at least.
Don't pay much attention to most avatars. Seems you had a better one before, and you are overestimating how cool it is to drive an "FX4".

You're dodging the question though. I didn't ask you if you wanted to get your truck detailed at the same place...

What I asked was if you had a specific place that you wanted to take it
if you would trust the sign that plainly says you have enough clearance.

Hope I worded that in a way that you can answer.

Pureblood!
Old 03-23-2018, 04:33 PM
Banned

I would probably be looking for objects big enough to damage my vehicle and not drive into them.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Like Jack hardin said <, Get out and check for yourself, I trucked 37 years in B.C Alberta Sask and beyond IF you believe every sign that tells you height , width or other . The onus is on you to verify it is so! Same as water depth and diving in the dark , Check it out !
Out at the lake, unmarked for sure! Check it out. Offroad, get out and look.

At the pools, depth is clearly marked; could you imagine the storm if a person nearly drowned or got a concussion from jumping or diving into a pool that was improperly marked?

I have never seen anyone with an overheight load stop at an overpass to measure either before going under. Is that accepted practice, every time?

Seems counterproductive, and somewhat unsafe. If only there was a visual cue to follow...

Pureblood!
Old 03-23-2018, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Out at the lake, unmarked for sure! Check it out. Offroad, get out and look.

At the pools, depth is clearly marked; could you imagine the storm if a person nearly drowned or got a concussion from jumping or diving into a pool that was improperly marked?

I have never seen anyone with an overheight load stop at an overpass to measure either before going under. Is that accepted practice, every time?

Seems counterproductive, and somewhat unsafe. If only there was a visual cue to follow...
And yet trucks get stuck under them all the time.

Must be that big yellow sign wasn't big enough and clear enough.

or that sign and bridge is correct,
but the guy behind the wheel made the mistake.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I would probably be looking for objects big enough to damage my vehicle and not drive into them.
Might and might not. I'd like to think that we would all notice if something was a few inches lower, but it's very easy to trick the eye.

Pureblood!
Old 03-23-2018, 04:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Speak for yourself!

Do you even read any of the drivel you post?

The upper levels are highest? You mean the top of an open parkade, right? Why would they put a roof on that?

And how do you get an oversize rig to the 5th or 6th level? Airlift?
In another life I worked in many office high-rises downtown Edmonton when I worked as a Security Officer.

Many miles have been walked in several parkades. And different styles.

Parkades under a building that go down get smaller the lower the levels.

Parkades that are are outside a building , get larger as you go up.

Down 5 levels to me would mean that I have less clearance than when I started.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
And yet trucks get stuck under them all the time.

Must be that big yellow sign wasn't big enough and clear enough.

or that sign and bridge is correct,
but the guy behind the wheel made the mistake.
Deflection. Sure, guys make that mistake.

Is that your way of saying Sharpstick made that mistake? I don't see it that way at all.

He checked and trusted that there wouldn't be a low spot.

Many times, we have to trust people that maybe we shouldn't.

Pureblood!
Old 03-23-2018, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Might and might not. I'd like to think that we would all notice if something was a few inches lower, but it's very easy to trick the eye.
Yes so eyeballing and trying to be within two inches isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world.

If I decided that 2 inches was enough to drive my truck forward and into where ever I needed to go I would definitely be checking constantly while driving, to ensure I didn't hit anything.

Parkades don't see a lot of upkeep, in way of repairs. I don't know much about cement, or building a parkade, but I do know that it's possible for that concrete you are driving on may settle or something, causing cracks, or bumps or something, so when you hit that your vehicle bounces up or down depending on what happened.

That 2 inches of room could suddenly be gone.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:51 PM

Most parkade's put the sign in writing, but many also have a bar on a chain at the exact lowest height so that if you hit that on the way in you know you're too high.

Hope the OP can recover his costs from the building owner.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Deflection. Sure, guys make that mistake.

Is that your way of saying Sharpstick made that mistake? I don't see it that way at all.

He checked and trusted that there wouldn't be a low spot.

Many times, we have to trust people that maybe we shouldn't.
And sometimes we need to take responsibility for our own actions and not expect someone else to pay for it.

Because it is possible to make a mistake,

I was once married I made mistakes all the time so I was told
Old 03-23-2018, 05:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
If the parkade advertises that the max height is 6'11 and your BIG truck fits under the 6'11 entrance sign, than that should mean you can fit in the parkade. If there are pipes that are hanging at 6'8, than the Max height sign should read 6"8", not 6'11".