Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-18-2012, 08:31 PM

Default Calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
The 6.5 Creedmore is very interesting indeed. Would be a good excuse to begin reloading. Starting off with the basic gear for a single caliber shouldn't be too costly. I have an article in a recent mag. which features the Creedmore. Interestingly enough, it's on par with one of my favourites, the mightly little 7-08.
If your looking to sell the hides don't go any bigger than the 243 or you wont have anything to sell. I shoot 50-100 every winter and used the 243 for 3 winters. Now I love my Rem 700 VTR .204 it is the coyote killing king. Many long time devoted 22-250 shooters have switched due to lazer flat trajectory and sooooo accurate withno recoil. You can watch your bullet hit through the scope. You won't be disappointed in the .204 calibre. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot at any wolf either.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:15 PM

Ok....the 25-06 is out. Definitely staying short action. It's a tough call between the .243 and the .260......

In all reality, most shots will be under 350 yards. It's the wary ones sitting at 650-700 watching me that I want to have a crack at. Got caught out in the open once last winter, had yote #1 at 275 or so, called it in and blew the shot but # 2 & 3 were sitting on the hillside way out there watching the show the whole time....no way to sneak closer and they didn't budge until they heard the shot.

Edit- not intending to bang away at that range, but if the gun/bullet/shooter can make the shot, I would like a humane kill at extended ranges. Just wanted to clarify.

Last edited by YoteStopper; 09-18-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:29 PM

both 243 and 260 are from the 308 ,and your worried about factory availability so why dont you get a 308 win? lots of loadings and more rifle variety that you can shake a stick at, probably easier on the barell than the other calibres and if pelts arent a concern leaves a bigger hole so better for bleeding out. and if you do get into reloading its a good one to learn on,very forgiving.

put the right scope on with right bullet and you could cream yotes out to ...... 1200 yards. that would be one helluva shot, lots of practise.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:14 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post
both 243 and 260 are from the 308 ,and your worried about factory availability so why dont you get a 308 win? lots of loadings and more rifle variety that you can shake a stick at, probably easier on the barell than the other calibres and if pelts arent a concern leaves a bigger hole so better for bleeding out. and if you do get into reloading its a good one to learn on,very forgiving.

put the right scope on with right bullet and you could cream yotes out to ...... 1200 yards. that would be one helluva shot, lots of practise.
I could get a 308 of course, but really like the 6-6.5mm calibers....

Probably put the Bushnell Elite Tactical 10x40 fixed power on eventually. One of the best options in its price range, in my opinion. Should cover things nicely.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoteStopper View Post
Ok....the 25-06 is out. Definitely staying short action. It's a tough call between the .243 and the .260......

In all reality, most shots will be under 350 yards. It's the wary ones sitting at 650-700 watching me that I want to have a crack at. Got caught out in the open once last winter, had yote #1 at 275 or so, called it in and blew the shot but # 2 & 3 were sitting on the hillside way out there watching the show the whole time....no way to sneak closer and they didn't budge until they heard the shot.

Edit- not intending to bang away at that range, but if the gun/bullet/shooter can make the shot, I would like a humane kill at extended ranges. Just wanted to clarify.
If you're looking at a 650-700yrd gun, and I don't recommend you shooting at anything alive at that distance, then you'd probably like to consider the 6/6.5mm cartridges. I've been looking to try out 6.5-284 and that would probably do the trick.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:16 AM

LOTS of choices at Trade-Ex for rifles chambered in 6.5x55mm....

http://www.tradeexcanada.com/produits/95?page=8

Just check from this page until the end. Many New In Box, Sporterized Military, and Commercial made 6.5x55's available, for very reasonable prices...

Just sayin'...
My posts are the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Desert_Faux". These posts are for informational and entertainment use only. Copying or quoting in whole, or in part, is given free license for use by any member of this board for use on this board. Any use, in whole or in part, for reference outside this forum requires the express written consent of its author.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:16 PM

I just dropped off an action and stock yesterday to get a .260 Improved built....looking forward to that when it is all done!

I just hope it is "big enough" to take on a wolf like the one that made this track....my boot is a size 10

LC
Old 09-19-2012, 06:01 PM

Default .223 Rem

Sweet. Cartridge debate. I am a .223 Rem lover. For a wolf or coyote it will hammer them just fine out to 250 or so yards. My favorite part about it though is brass is easy to find and bullet selection is plentiful. So in terms of fun factor, .223 is my favorite either in a 1 in 12 or 1 in 9 twist. Low recoil too. Still though, 204, 22-250, 243, 7mm-08, 308. sall good.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I just dropped off an action and stock yesterday to get a .260 Improved built....looking forward to that when it all done

LC
hey where did you buy your action and stock from? It is pretty nice.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post
hey where did you buy your action and stock from? It is pretty nice.
I picked up the action, trigger, and bottom metal from a member here. I had the HS Precision stock as a "take off" from a short action Remington 700 in .22-250 that I put a different stock on. They are a match made

I always wanted a short action hunting rifle and the 260 Rem Improved seems like it could be a dandy!

LC
Old 09-19-2012, 09:34 PM

Well....I'm probably going with the .243, and wait with the 6.5's until I can get reloading and use the ballistic advantages. I do impulse buy occasionally though, not getting any ammo until the gun is picked up.

What grain of bullet should I try first? Something lighter, midrange, or heavy?

Thanks for the comments and suggestions!
Old 09-19-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Faux View Post
LOTS of choices at Trade-Ex for rifles chambered in 6.5x55mm....

http://www.tradeexcanada.com/produits/95?page=8

Just check from this page until the end. Many New In Box, Sporterized Military, and Commercial made 6.5x55's available, for very reasonable prices...

Just sayin'...
I'm personally not buying from the East in response to their LGR garbage.

But yes, 6.5x55 is sweet.....I have two already though.

Lefty- Nice build your getting done there.....and that wolf track is huge.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:44 AM

As far as what to try first in a .243win....that would depend on the twist rate. If you have a 1 in 10 twist, in my experience that rifle will like 95gr bullets and less. Although you might find a 100gr bullet that shoots well. Most factory ammo comes in 100gr plus weights I think....unkless you go premium with a Barnes offering.

LC
Old 09-20-2012, 08:59 PM

Smile twist rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
As far as what to try first in a .243win....that would depend on the twist rate. If you have a 1 in 10 twist, in my experience that rifle will like 95gr bullets and less. Although you might find a 100gr bullet that shoots well. Most factory ammo comes in 100gr plus weights I think....unkless you go premium with a Barnes offering.

LC
The WSS catalog does not list the twist rate, however the standard model 11 list the twist rate as 1/9.25, so its probably the same. I will give some 70-80 grain loads a shot for starters and see where that goes.

Also bought a Bushnell Elite Tactical 10x40, pretty decent scope.....not sure if its going on the .243 when I get it, but either way it seems pretty good quality.

Last edited by YoteStopper; 09-20-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:49 PM

I have a savage model 10 in .243 and it has liked everything I have tried from 58gr to 100gr elcheapo Remington whitetail express. I love that rifle. It has a Burris 3-9 on it. Did I already say I love that rifle? If you go with the 243 you won't regret it.

Joe
Old 09-20-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoteStopper View Post
The WSS catalog does not list the twist rate, however the standard model 11 list the twist rate as 1/9.25, so its probably the same. I will give some 70-80 grain loads a shot for starters and see where that goes.

Also bought a Bushnell Elite Tactical 10x40, pretty decent scope.....not sure if its going on the .243 when I get it, but either way it seems pretty good quality.
I forgot it was a Savage....they seem to always have a faster twist rate than some of the others....allows you to have use of a wider range of bullet weights.....especially heavier ones.

LC
Old 09-20-2012, 10:34 PM

243 all the way, you can get ammunition anywhere and it won't break the bank. Inexpensive ammo means more rounds down range!