Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-03-2023, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
6 to eight figure price? Yeah .............. I'm fairly certain most of the advice given here is not for a purchase of a $100,000 to 10 million dollar plus boat.

If I was dropping that kind of money on a used boat - I agree - I'm driving it
Ha if I had 6-8 figures to spend on a boat I doubt I’d be buying used.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:55 PM

I’m glad you guys can find some humour in another perspective and keep your tunnel vision intact at the same time.

I know I’m no longer in Alberta and we are talking about “Alberta” but he said in the OP “it won’t be a small purchase”. Someone mentions a water test if possible and the usual crowd acts like that’s a revolutionary idea that nobody would ever consider.

From my experience over here, something other then a “small” purchase is going to expect a water test… and survey on a used boat.

Like I opened with, perhaps it’s the price point your thinking of or perhaps it’s a cultural thing.

Just once try and look past your tiny corner of the world when another perspective is presented and consider the broader picture. I didn’t say in Alberta everyone should expect a water test on a little tub or that anyone’s driving 1.5 hours each way to the lake to try and convince someone to buy their 12’ springbok with a 1987 evinrude 9.9

In my neck of the woods if your popping five figures on a boat your not buying much of a boat and nobody is wasting their time taking every prospective buyer for a test drive although it certainly happens.

Most boats “here” cost six figures minimum and people expect a water test before they put the cash down.

Here’s a look at what a hundred k gets in this country.

It’s only 24 years old.

You say you need new cause your not taking someone’s second handy?

You want 21’?

Or 23’?

Or have you got a little more cheese and need to take the missus out too?

Keep in mind those are babies compared to many of the boats I see here. Tenders at best for the guys with real money.

Anyway, back to the regular scheduled programming.
Old 04-04-2023, 07:39 AM

Thank you for taking time to engage with the unwashed masses in this tiny little corner of the world and enlightening us with your global sophistication.
Old 04-04-2023, 08:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I have bought two used boats over the years and both went into the lake for a run in conjunction with all the good points on this thread made me a happy new to me boat owner.
One fella drove 45 minutes one way and we met at the launch, full boat inspection, launched it, 1hr later on shore shook hands and made the deal.
I guess it all depends but with the price of used boats I would be so cautious as to prevent any headaches.
Good luck on your quest.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-04-2023, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I’m glad you guys can find some humour in another perspective and keep your tunnel vision intact at the same time.

I know I’m no longer in Alberta and we are talking about “Alberta” but he said in the OP “it won’t be a small purchase”. Someone mentions a water test if possible and the usual crowd acts like that’s a revolutionary idea that nobody would ever consider.

From my experience over here, something other then a “small” purchase is going to expect a water test… and survey on a used boat.

Like I opened with, perhaps it’s the price point your thinking of or perhaps it’s a cultural thing.

Just once try and look past your tiny corner of the world when another perspective is presented and consider the broader picture. I didn’t say in Alberta everyone should expect a water test on a little tub or that anyone’s driving 1.5 hours each way to the lake to try and convince someone to buy their 12’ springbok with a 1987 evinrude 9.9

In my neck of the woods if your popping five figures on a boat your not buying much of a boat and nobody is wasting their time taking every prospective buyer for a test drive although it certainly happens.

Most boats “here” cost six figures minimum and people expect a water test before they put the cash down.

Here’s a look at what a hundred k gets in this country.

It’s only 24 years old.

You say you need new cause your not taking someone’s second handy?

You want 21’?

Or 23’?

Or have you got a little more cheese and need to take the missus out too?

Keep in mind those are babies compared to many of the boats I see here. Tenders at best for the guys with real money.

Anyway, back to the regular scheduled programming.
That's certainly an interesting perspective. Those prices are wild. I'm going to guess that ocean fishing is a rich man's sport in Australia. I pulled these from kijii in BC. Seem relatively comparable, but I'm really not an ocean boat guy.

Grady White 228 in BC for $50K

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...0270?undefined

24ft Hewescraft for $85K

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...oat/1650112053
Old 04-04-2023, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Thank you for taking time to engage with the unwashed masses in this tiny little corner of the world and enlightening us with your global sophistication.

Not to mention the OP already stated his requirements which has nothing to do with Ocean monster boats of 6 to whatever figures. Some people really feel a need to thump their chests. Maybe compensating for something...
Old 04-06-2023, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Ha if I had 6-8 figures to spend on a boat I doubt I’d be buying used.
If I had 6-8 figures to spend on a boat I'd be too cool to hang around on a forum with all of us peasants !!!!! too rich to lower myself to associate with common folk and working class (other than the servants in my mansion). I'd be a total arse.