Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-09-2023, 07:20 AM

Default Active Target mounting

Just finished mounting my sons active target on his trolling motor. I have had mine mounted on my boat independent of the trolling motor. It will be interesting this year to compare the two ways of mounting and two ways of thinking. Any thoughts?

Last edited by roper1; 04-09-2023 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-09-2023, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
Just finished mounting my sons active target on his trolling motor. I have had mine mounted on my boat independent of the trolling motor. It will be interesting this year to compare the two ways of mounting and two ways of thinking. Any thoughts?
I struggled with deciding where to mount my livescope. I have the ulterra, so mounting on the motor would have been challenging, so went to independent mount. Made more sense in the long run, as I was using more for jigging. Static mount was better when spotlocked than on the motor, much less movement I suspect it my be much more effective in perspective mode trolling in shallow water on the trolling motor, but the static mount works well. Hard to have everything!
Old 04-09-2023, 08:32 AM

I fail to understand why anyone would ever mount any live imaging to their trolling motor. If you’re trolling by a point you can’t scan it properly. Only in the direction you are going. You can’t put it in spot lock because the motor is busy trying to keep you in place but would work for down. You are basically using it for down only. Weird.
Old 04-09-2023, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
I fail to understand why anyone would ever mount any live imaging to their trolling motor. If you’re trolling by a point you can’t scan it properly. Only in the direction you are going. You can’t put it in spot lock because the motor is busy trying to keep you in place but would work for down. You are basically using it for down only. Weird.
Simple, boat size. Not weird.

My 12 foot tinner it is on the trolling motor and the Garmin screen next to me on the seat. If I don't have someone with me then I have more room but still, limited space. Especially fly casting. Works like a charm. 100% fishing trout in this setup.

For my bigger boat, agree. Having the flexibility to move it around the boat strategically is the best.
Old 04-09-2023, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post

My 12 foot tinner it is on the trolling motor and the Garmin screen next to me on the seat. If I don't have someone with me then I have more room but still, limited space. Especially fly casting. Works like a charm. 100% fishing trout in this setup.

For my bigger boat, agree. Having the flexibility to move it around the boat strategically is the best.

Nah....still weird. For all the reasons Jim mentioned. Plus the bow of the boat is what bobs up and down more than any other part. And as I understand it from the open water guys, that bobbing up and down is what most severely limits it's usefulness on open water.

On a tinner it's a piece of cake. Buy a Scotty Gunnel Clamp Mount so you can mount your transducer (or stuff a rod holder in it when trolling) anywhere along the side of your boat. Now go to Summit Fishing Equipment and get the appropriate Transducer Pole (you should have it already from your ice fishing setup) and Boat Mount Kit with a 6" RAM Double-sided Arm and the Scotty Rod Mount to 1.5" Ball. Easy peasy. Now you can just bring your ice fishing shuttle from the winter, mount the LVS-32 or 34 anywhere on the side of your boat (preferably towards the back so it's bobbing up and down less and providing a better representation of what's actually under you in down mode and not 10' away under the front of the boat). And you can look around independent of what direction the trolling motor is taking you. Oh yeah, and no worries about TM interference.

See? Weird to mount it to the trolling motor.
Old 04-09-2023, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Nah....still weird. For all the reasons Jim mentioned. Plus the bow of the boat is what bobs up and down more than any other part. And as I understand it from the open water guys, that bobbing up and down is what most severely limits it's usefulness on open water.

On a tinner it's a piece of cake. Buy a Scotty Gunnel Clamp Mount so you can mount your transducer (or stuff a rod holder in it when trolling) anywhere along the side of your boat. Now go to Summit Fishing Equipment and get the appropriate Transducer Pole (you should have it already from your ice fishing setup) and Boat Mount Kit with a 6" RAM Double-sided Arm and the Scotty Rod Mount to 1.5" Ball. Easy peasy. Now you can just bring your ice fishing shuttle from the winter, mount the LVS-32 or 34 anywhere on the side of your boat (preferably towards the back so it's bobbing up and down less and providing a better representation of what's actually under you in down mode and not 10' away under the front of the boat). And you can look around independent of what direction the trolling motor is taking you. Oh yeah, and no worries about TM interference.

See? Weird to mount it to the trolling motor.
No, my tinner has the trolling motor at the back. Not weird. Perfectly stable, perfectly fine and proven to work well for years now. Already have the summit pole for ice fishing and the mounts for the bigger boat. Already know about all the other mounts. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2023, 08:49 PM

Quote:

Doesn’t matter what size the boat is
Old 04-09-2023, 09:58 PM

What I didn’t mention is my son mainly bass fishes in B.C. so I think that may make a difference vs walleye fishing in southern Alberta where I mainly fish.
Old 04-10-2023, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
Doesn’t matter what size the boat is
It really does when you are fly casting in a tinner and especially when I have a buddy. Room is limited. How I have set it up works great! Maybe that doesn't apply to this thread though if the OPs boat is large enough to allow a flexible solution.
Old 04-10-2023, 09:26 AM

Quote:
It really does when you are fly casting in a tinner and especially when I have a buddy. Room is limited. How I have set it up works great! Maybe that doesn't apply to this thread though if the OPs boat is large enough to allow a flexible solution.
It’s about the boat moving when you want it to stay in place that’s all
Old 04-10-2023, 06:04 PM

I will report back on how it all turns out. Lol
Old 04-11-2023, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I will report back on how it all turns out. Lol
Sounds good

I'll be using the Summit pole with mount this year on the big boat. I had it stationary before but should have all the connectors this year to move it anywhere on the boat as needed. I have a Crestliner 1650 that has the SureMount system. Plan to do a decent amount of lake mapping. I can report back as well
Old 04-11-2023, 01:26 PM

I use my Mega 360 in to locate schools and then have my Mega Live on an ArcLab pole, independent of the trolling motor. This allows me to spot lock with my Ulterra, locate fish all around me on the Mega 360 and then point my Mega Live at them to target specific fish.

I use the setup a bit different when I am bottom bouncing for walleye. In that case I use the Ulterra to pull my boat along at whatever speed I desire while the M360 is running, showing me where pods of fish are located around me. I steer my Ulterra with the remote to run close to the pod of fish. Meanwhile, my Mega Live is pointed backwards and I am watching my bottom bouncer spin. I can see the walleye come in and either disregard my lure, show interest but not bite, or take the bait. Gauging their reaction helps me adjust my speed, color, and specific bait to dial things in.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 04-11-2023, 04:07 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I use my Mega 360 in to locate schools and then have my Mega Live on an ArcLab pole, independent of the trolling motor. This allows me to spot lock with my Ulterra, locate fish all around me on the Mega 360 and then point my Mega Live at them to target specific fish.

I use the setup a bit different when I am bottom bouncing for walleye. In that case I use the Ulterra to pull my boat along at whatever speed I desire while the M360 is running, showing me where pods of fish are located around me. I steer my Ulterra with the remote to run close to the pod of fish. Meanwhile, my Mega Live is pointed backwards and I am watching my bottom bouncer spin. I can see the walleye come in and either disregard my lure, show interest but not bite, or take the bait. Gauging their reaction helps me adjust my speed, color, and specific bait to dial things in.

SS

Now that’s called dialled in.

Amazing what electronics can do for you out on the water.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-11-2023, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Sounds good

I'll be using the Summit pole with mount this year on the big boat. I had it stationary before but should have all the connectors this year to move it anywhere on the boat as needed. I have a Crestliner 1650 that has the SureMount system. Plan to do a decent amount of lake mapping. I can report back as well
I use a summit pole as well. But had to upsize to the largest ram ball to be able to troll. Otherwise the pole kicks upwards
Old 04-12-2023, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I use a summit pole as well. But had to upsize to the largest ram ball to be able to troll. Otherwise the pole kicks upwards
Thanks for the heads up. I'll see how mine works out here. Should be able to get at the boat this week and try it our in dry dock for now.
Old 04-15-2023, 10:21 PM

Ram mounts are great ...... Ciscoe Mounts are better. Particularly for solid stability in any application (including for a transducer pole).

You can also use rails and move your setup into various positions throughout the boat.

Your only limit is your imagination with all the cool stuff you could do ...... if you spend the right amount of money
Old 04-16-2023, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Looks good in dry dock and we will see how good it works on the water. I suspect really well

Old 04-16-2023, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Looks good in dry dock and we will see how good it works on the water. I suspect really well

Exactly how I have mine but my screen is hard mounted
Old 04-16-2023, 10:06 AM

First time I've used the Sure Mount inner track on the Crestliner. Unfortunately not a lot of selection for mounts for that system so I ordered the Scotty base from Summit and had to "customize" it a bit with another base I had from Rail Blaza. I just like being to move it anywhere on the boat and I will use it that way.

Also picked two rod holders from BroCraft that are compatible out of the box for Sure Mount system. The bases almost work for the Summit arm...almost.

I just like being able to put things on like this, move them anywhere on the boat and take them down like nothing was there.
Old 04-16-2023, 11:13 AM

Look at the cannon rod holders. If your is like the versa track you can drill a hole in the cannon base between the factory holes and it bolts right on
Old 04-17-2023, 10:52 AM

That’s how my system from summit started off but ended up upsizing the ball. The system does work nice only.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:58 AM

My son tried out his active target that is mounted on his trolling motor and so far he loves it
Old 04-17-2023, 12:17 PM

Quote:
First time I've used the Sure Mount inner track on the Crestliner. Unfortunately not a lot of selection for mounts for that system so I ordered the Scotty base from Summit and had to "customize" it a bit with another base I had from Rail Blaza. I just like being to move it anywhere on the boat and I will use it that way.

Also picked two rod holders from BroCraft that are compatible out of the box for Sure Mount system. The bases almost work for the Summit arm...almost.

I just like being able to put things on like this, move them anywhere on the boat and take them down like nothing was there.
Railblaza just came out with their Hexx Live Pole 60 as a mounting option for independent live sonar. If the Railblaza bases work well for you, you may want to take a look at their pole.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 04-17-2023, 01:00 PM

Quote:
That’s how my system from summit started off but ended up upsizing the ball. The system does work nice only.
Yeah, I`ll see how mine performs as well. Might be in a similar boat...pardon the pun.

Quote:
My son tried out his active target that is mounted on his trolling motor and so far he loves it
Nice!
Old 04-17-2023, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Railblaza just came out with their Hexx Live Pole 60 as a mounting option for independent live sonar. If the Railblaza bases work well for you, you may want to take a look at their pole.

SS
Sounds good. I`m set for now but certainly would look at that as well if I run into any issues. Thanks for the heads up!