Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-31-2023, 03:32 PM

Default A Pike left me a small memento from last season.

Warning. If you're really squeamish this post probably isn't for you, but not too worried about that with fellow fishermen haha.

Haven't been on here much over the hard water season, more of a skier in winter and angler in summer type of guy.

However something happened this week that very much reminded me of last fishing season. I pulled a rather large Pike tooth out of my thumb! It's been living in there for around 9 months!

Basically midsummer last season I had a mishap when landing a good size Pike and watched in painful slow motion as the pad of my thumb landed directly on one of the really long "fang" type teeth in the pikes mouth. No big open wound or anything just a small hole that I threw a bandaid on at the time.

A week or so later it was sore but had healed over and I just assumed that because the tooth likely hit bone it was going to take a while to feel pain free. Never occurred to me there was something still in there.

Obviously a couple months later when things still weren't perfect I knew there must be a fragment of tooth in there but it had healed over completely and only hurt on rare occasions where I put pressure on it in a certain way. Assumed there was a small piece of tooth enamel in there encased in scar tissue and just carried on with life.

However about a week ago I was mounting some ski bindings and took a solid knock on my thumb from the spring loaded heel piece which hurt like crazy. Immediately I could see that whatever was in there had shifted and come closer to the surface.

Anyway, I won't get too graphic but a week or so after that my body had pushed the fragment in question close enough to the surface that it broke open the skin surface and a few days after that I managed to grab the end of it with some tweezers. After a solid tug it came out and I was rather surprised at the size of it. Just shy of 8mm long.

Crazy how I managed to live with that in there for so long. It was incredibly satisfying to get rid of it that's for sure!

Anyway it's still not even close to some of my other fishing wounds, did I ever tell you guys about the stingray incident? Haha.

Obviously I had to include some pictures. Getting super excited for the open water season!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2023, 03:38 PM

Oh man, that's just crazy! That would have driven me nuts to have that embedded in there.
Old 03-31-2023, 04:25 PM

I had a walleye dorsal spine embedded in my hand for three months. It looked healed up but was always painful. I eventually got digging around there and out popped the tip of a dorsal. I started wearing fingerless fishing gloves after that.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-31-2023, 04:30 PM

Without being the least bit dismissive, ..... please post pictures of that Pike!!!

Drewski
Old 03-31-2023, 08:33 PM

That pretty knarlly!
Old 03-31-2023, 10:03 PM

Similar to a game animals body healing around a broadhead. Curious how most foreign objects get infected and pushed out yet some are absorbed. Interesting story
Old 03-31-2023, 10:15 PM

Dam youre a tough guy!There is no way i would have managed with that under my skin.Cant wait for your open water posts soon.
Old 04-01-2023, 02:57 AM

I still have a small chunk of a bearing race embedded in my left cheek from about 5 years back. Was near some guys that were trying to get an old one off of a shaft and caught some shrapnel. I thought I had it all dug out until the next time I flew anywhere... still a chunk in there, feels incredibly weird/ horrible if you hold a magnet near it.

A couple weekends ago I went to an Oil Kings game and forgot to leave my pocket knife in the car, that little chunk of metal ended up saving me from having a particularly nice Swiss Army knife that I've carried for over 15 years confiscated.

Last edited by Bushleague; 04-01-2023 at 03:02 AM.
Old 04-01-2023, 07:25 AM

I have a chunk of pencil lead the palm of my right hand for about 28 years now. Grade 3, I just finished sharpening my pencil on the old school sharpener that was bolted to the teachers desk, on the walk back to my desk I banged off a chair and some how drove the needle sharp pencil in to my hand and snapped the tip off. I cant feel it but I can still see it in there

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2023, 08:00 AM

I have something embedded in my thumb right now. It’s healed over and been there for 5 years.
Doesn’t hurt. Can feel it in there though.
Maybe one day I’ll find out what it is.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:55 AM

Hate to be that guy but seems interesting this all comes out on the same day as the Grizzley showed up in Edmontons river valley
Old 04-03-2023, 05:00 PM

A nine month long reminder of a good fish caught, I've got enough kids to remember the timeline.....

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 04-03-2023, 06:08 PM

Neat momento. Luckily it didn't get infected.

Now the hunt is on for the pike with the missing tooth.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2023, 06:04 PM

That's a pretty big piece of tooth - that's crazy !!

Lucky it didn't cause any serious infections. Fish mouths are pretty nasty. Anytime you get a scratch from one of their teeth they can get pretty sore and swollen due to the bacteria fish carry.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:21 AM

Pike can be really vicious, when I was in my teens I was fishing with Dad, we had just finished lunch in the boat when I swished out the spoon I was using to eat beans. Got hit on the little finger by a big pike. Opened me up to the bone. Still have the scar to commemorate the occasion.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 04-18-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Pike can be really vicious, when I was in my teens I was fishing with Dad, we had just finished lunch in the boat when I swished out the spoon I was using to eat beans. Got hit on the little finger by a big pike. Opened me up to the bone. Still have the scar to commemorate the occasion.
Among the more exciting adventures I've had with pike... Had them latch onto saplings, the ankle of my boot, and once onto the tongue of my dog when she got a little too curious.

Twice I've had the pleasure of dealing with a good sized pike that was dangling off one end of a Rapala, while the other end was firmly embedded in my leg.

If a less co-operative fish species exists, I have yet to catch it. Despite all that you go and gently put them back in the water... and half the time they somehow manage to soak you when they take off. Been obsessed with those slimy jerks my since I was 7.
Old 04-18-2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Among the more exciting adventures I've had with pike... Had them latch onto saplings, the ankle of my boot, and once onto the tongue of my dog when she got a little too curious.

Twice I've had the pleasure of dealing with a good sized pike that was dangling off one end of a Rapala, while the other end was firmly embedded in my leg.

If a less co-operative fish species exists, I have yet to catch it. Despite all that you go and gently put them back in the water... and half the time they somehow manage to soak you when they take off. Been obsessed with those slimy jerks my since I was 7.
They sure do present plenty opportunity for injury haha. First day of the season last year I had one attached to my finger via a large treble hook, needless to say it wasn't sitting still while this was happening. That was "fun" lol . Thank goodness for barbless.
Old 04-18-2023, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA Angler View Post
They sure do present plenty opportunity for injury haha. First day of the season last year I had one attached to my finger via a large treble hook, needless to say it wasn't sitting still while this was happening. That was "fun" lol . Thank goodness for barbless.
Yeah both times I got it in the leg the barbs were pinched, but one time it still hung up.

I was trying the old fishing line loop trick, but as the hook had been bent by the dangling fish it wasnt working. I wanted it out before the pain kicked in so I was getting pretty rammy, no joke, the other guy in the boat did a bit of dry-heaving before it finally came.

All good fun, but I now have a distinct prefference for lures that will work with only one single hook, especially when wading... a pike dashing around and betwixed your legs with a couple big trebles hanging out of his mouth will deffinatly dampen one's enthusiasim for large jerkbaits.