Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2021, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
One thing I would like to mention is that I'm starting to get up there in years and I can say that I got to live through the best of times as an outdoorsman.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Thirty years ago I would hunt the Spray Valley and maybe see one or two groups of other hunters. Glad I had a chance to experience the way it was.
Before there was a K-Country, we explored all of the old logging roads on our dirt bikes, and then head for the Canmore Hilton for a few cold ones. Half the bar was coal miners, the other half was 'hippies'! It was 'the best of times' !
Old 04-27-2021, 08:28 PM

I’d love to see a tax like this come with a nice map of how current dollars covert into enforcement. Personally I think we would see a disgusting amount of time spent at stocked ponds and the k country Timmys. I’ve seldom seen conservation officers doing anything besides vehicular law enforcement, so why don’t we sell all their nice pickups and give them Honda civics ? Should increase the budget a bit. Oh but wait the pass is attached to your plate. So why on earth would they leave their vehicle. At least try and give them any incentive to leave their truck and fine people who are littering. The way I see it is there’s going to be more officers that spend all their time checking thousands of plates a day.

Also is the provincial government giving any thought to the fact that their fee will boost K country while also causing way people to head into the already packed bow valley. Exshaw is trying to get the 1a turned into a tow zone which will be nice for elk hunters in the fall.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:56 PM

Sorry but I support this TAX a 100%

If anything a nice donation to nature

We all know it cost. $$$ for maintaining K Country

I'm signing up for a yearly pass just as I buy a yearly pass for national parks a little bit helps

My donation to Nature
Old 04-27-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Before there was a K-Country, we explored all of the old logging roads on our dirt bikes, and then head for the Canmore Hilton for a few cold ones. Half the bar was coal miners, the other half was 'hippies'! It was 'the best of times' !
I remember driving my old chev 4x4 from Canmore to Wind Valley on the old mine road, drive to the flats to glass the slopes or drive to the top and sneak to check out the flats. Hunt Spray on Monday and hunt Wind valley on Tuesday and repeat.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:46 PM

If you think Canmore was busy last year....just wait.
People who didn't want to pay to go to Banff went to Kananaskis and Canmore...now they'll flood Canmore to get their mountain fill.

Hmmm...maybe Canmore can implement a special Canmore tax.

Be prepared....a similar province wide provincial park fee is likely being looked at...

IMO the apparent "problem is largely the government's own doing. In the past the province ran and maintained the crown land campsites. A significant percentage of folks used those and there was less "random" camping.
Then they "privatized" those campsites...since then, many if not most have shut down...leaving no alternative to "random" camping.

Although I'm not necessarily against the Kananaskis fee...I don't think it will solve the problem. I think all it will do is shift the problem elsewhere
Old 04-27-2021, 09:47 PM

Default UCfee

That’s what they should be called, the UCFEE. Gamble a billion of our money and lose it, 30 million for a “war room” to fight Sasquatch movies, billions more in tax cuts to large corporations, but screw any Albertan that does more than sit in their trucks. The UCFEE sucks.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:48 PM

Default Yeah, right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordfishing View Post

I'm signing up for a yearly pass just as I buy a yearly pass for national parks a little bit helps

My donation to Nature
And if you give Trudeau more money, he will reverse climate change .
Old 04-27-2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
I remember driving my old chev 4x4 from Canmore to Wind Valley on the old mine road, drive to the flats to glass the slopes or drive to the top and sneak to check out the flats. Hunt Spray on Monday and hunt Wind valley on Tuesday and repeat.
Old Chevrolet Station Wagon for us,you knew who had what tags.
West Wind Valley was the best. We tagged Elk Moose Mule and White Tails over the years.
We were thinking of going back for a few Days, 6 hours of trying to get a campsite.No go booked out.
Going to do the Maple Creek, Cypress Hills ,Dinosaur P. Parks for three weeks again. Mixture of private and public sites.Loved it last year.
PS.Spray Lakes Road has sucked for the last 40 years it's a 70 year old logging road. Minimal base equals so so road.As for the fees I want audited full cost breakdown labour equipment ongoing maintenance. Total fines also stay with the LEO and CO K Country budget. This for the next 4 years. They want show transparency this would be a start.
As for the waste on the "War Room"that money should have been spent on seed start ups on Geothermal Power/ Heating Solutions. We hate Wind Mills.Never see them working.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:54 PM

Default Another link

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
The Globe and Mail continues to hide behind a pay wall..........seriously, does the G&M gain significant revenue stream from that?

Sorry for the derail but you linked to a news source that does not provide...

I'd like to know more considering I live off of the Kananaskis Rd...
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...fees-1.6003671

This article says 2 vehicles but could be wrong ....... just across the pond from you to the west
Old 04-27-2021, 11:09 PM

Edit to my previous post...from the link above it seems like the town of Canmore WILL be included in the Kananaskis conservation pass.

Wonder how that will work?

So... even a stop for gas in Canmore is an extra $15?
Old 04-28-2021, 01:17 AM

How many that welcome this new "tax" think that that money will actually be spent on more enforcement and cleanup?

Or will the money be collected and put into some slush fund with very little of the collected fees, if any being spent on said enforcement and cleanup?

I'm skeptical that any noticeable difference will be made, except users a little lighter in the wallet.

Theoretically your wallet being lighter will make your vehicle more fuel efficient so you can feel better about saving Mother Earth, I guess

Anytime a proposed new tax comes up I have only one reply, NO MORE TAXES!!!

Politicians expect us to all live within our means but they do just the opposite.
Something about do as I say, not as I do
Old 04-28-2021, 02:02 AM

Pretty much the best (only) thing Kenny et al have achieved during their tenure is ousting the Nutley regime.

100% going back to Kananaskis? BS!

80%+ will go to union hacks for ‘administration’ costs.

Then perhaps most of the remainder will go to enforcement ‘officers’ who’s sole purpose shall be to patrol/fine those without a parks pass. Hmmm. More union employees.

The remaining 1-2% will go toward improvements. Maybe.

Nothing will change. NOTHING. Not until we have an administration that stands up against sending untold billions per year to quebek and getting raped by public service unions.

There’s only ONE taxpayer and Kenny’s UPC obviously doesn’t seem to comprehend this. They’ve lost my vote.

Tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2021, 05:42 AM

100% behind this action..User pay,is part of what we all do.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:50 AM

If Albertans weren't the pigs they are, this wouldn't be happening.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
If Albertans weren't the pigs they are, this wouldn't be happening.
It’s not a issue unique to Albertans it seems a portion of humans are just slobs
Old 04-28-2021, 06:22 AM

Some Albertans!
They know who they are! The same ones that throw their coffee cups and garbage out the car window when driving! Slobs!

!QUOTE=HalfBreed;4366774]If Albertans weren't the pigs they are, this wouldn't be happening.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-28-2021, 06:29 AM

I don't go to k-country, beautiful place just not for me, to many city types for me. Why should my taxes go to pay for all the city slobs to abuse nature. I'd rather my taxes go to the local volunteer fire department than clean up after a bunch of slobs. User pay works just fine for me. Unless you want our income and property taxes to double or more, and implement a provincial sales tax. If you haven't noticed our economy has tanked for the last 10 years, someone has to pay. You all see to be in love with Rachael I just don't get it. Rant over...
Old 04-28-2021, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
I don't go to k-country, beautiful place just not for me, to many city types for me. Why should my taxes go to pay for all the city slobs to abuse nature. I'd rather my taxes go to the local volunteer fire department than clean up after a bunch of slobs. User pay works just fine for me. Unless you want our income and property taxes to double or more, and implement a provincial sales tax. If you haven't noticed our economy has tanked for the last 10 years, someone has to pay. You all see to be in love with Rachael I just don't get it. Rant over...
If you don't go to K-Country, your taxes aren't paying for it. While I'm not sure if I agree or disagree with this new fee, it is a user fee, and and at least it's only people who go there that are paying for it.

Sadly, it could open the door for other Provincial fees though.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
If you don't go to K-Country, your taxes aren't paying for it. While I'm not sure if I agree or disagree with this new fee, it is a user fee, and and at least it's only people who go there that are paying for it.

Sadly, it could open the door for other Provincial fees though.
I was under the assumption that the province pays for the enforcement of laws, infrastructure and maintenance of k-Country. If any provincial or federal money is spent there that would be tax dollars, or is the area totally self sustaining? Just curious if I am mistaken?
Old 04-28-2021, 07:07 AM

When they decided to halt a lot of the coal mining they knew there was going to be a big loss in taxes that needed to be replaced. Many of he people who like to visit are now going to pay the price.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
How many that welcome this new "tax" think that that money will actually be spent on more enforcement and cleanup?

Or will the money be collected and put into some slush fund with very little of the collected fees, if any being spent on said enforcement and cleanup?

I'm skeptical that any noticeable difference will be made, except users a little lighter in the wallet.

Theoretically your wallet being lighter will make your vehicle more fuel efficient so you can feel better about saving Mother Earth, I guess

Anytime a proposed new tax comes up I have only one reply, NO MORE TAXES!!!

Politicians expect us to all live within our means but they do just the opposite.
Something about do as I say, not as I do
I tend to agree. All I see is the creation of another bureaucracy with most money going to top heavy officials and their minions down to a few people actually in the field writing some tickets and some summer students doing a bit of cleanup. They will have nice trucks and equipment and nice offices. Just creating the illusion of doing something without doing something. Lots of add campaigns and fluff. Typical of most gov't programs they will achieve the bare minimum to justify asking for increased budgets in following years as they will need more money to keep their jobs and ineffective bureaucracy rolling along. 5 years from now the fee will be $200 and nothing much will change from the present situation.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
When they decided to halt a lot of the coal mining they knew there was going to be a big loss in taxes that needed to be replaced. Many of he people who like to visit are now going to pay the price.
So is the crowd that is against paying user fees the same crowd that is against resource extraction? If that is true I find that ironic that due to the loss of revenue from resource extraction the money has to come from somewhere therefore the application of user fees or a tax increase. I for one am for responsible resource extraction, but I realize that's not a popular topic these days...
Old 04-28-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
I was under the assumption that the province pays for the enforcement of laws, infrastructure and maintenance of k-Country. If any provincial or federal money is spent there that would be tax dollars, or is the area totally self sustaining? Just curious if I am mistaken?
The government is "claiming" that all of this user fee is being used to address the newfound issues in K-Country via additional enforcement.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:54 AM

I don’t want to pay the $$ but I also want fewer day trippers dropping their garbage all over. When these areas get used so hard the province experiences higher maintenance costs, someone has to pay for it. User pay is a better idea then taking the money out of general revenue of which we don’t have much.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:54 AM

I Totally support this, if it has the effect of cutting down the amount of ppl that go to k country all the better, this last year was a gong show out there, ppl every were showing zero respect for the areas they were in.
been going out to elbow falls area since I was a kid and honestly I can't remember seeing so much garbage and ppl. only thing they should add is , if your caught littering, defacing buildings, damaging stuff your $90 Park pass should be taken away for x amount of years plus a huge fine maybe $1000+
besides what's $90 work out to 4.05 or 4.25 a day , really not much and there is the $15 day pass, that's really not much for a day of relaxing and fun, honestly fairly cheap now a days for a day, ( less then a hrs wage for most working folk ) and low income is exempt from it, so quessing ppl on a pension, aish, etc, so that's a nice thing that they won't be charged. and yes it is probably just a cash grab but hey if it cuts down on the rif raf then that's a win in my books.
just my thoughts.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:02 AM

Didn’t the provincial government set up a snitch line for COVID profiteering? Wonder if I can report them to themselves on this one...
Old 04-28-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
They don't know you have an ATV if it isn't plated and doesn't leave the farm.

......and I think you are combining plate passes and ATV's when they are an apples and oranges thing. Plate passes for registered highway vehicles and maybe something still to come about ATV fees?
all units on the farm are plated was just wondering if anyone new if there was going to be a fee on all atv plates . was just asking because i do not take atvs out west
Old 04-28-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordfishing View Post

My donation to Nature
If you believe this will make any difference with abuse problems, I've got some ocean front property in Arizona for sale. It's just another cash grab with a crusading message.

Grizz
Old 04-28-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
I doubt it. More like a trail fee you'll need to pay to ride there, whether that's a ticket booth or whatever is yet to be determined.

Separate from this k-country one.
thanks
Old 04-28-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I’d rather be outdoors View Post
Didn’t the provincial government set up a snitch line for COVID profiteering? Wonder if I can report them to themselves on this one...
Found it if anyone’s interested:

https://www.alberta.ca/file-consumer-complaint.aspx