Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-31-2023, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouleerunner View Post
It has been 100M for a long time. There are Bouys there.
Thanks! As I said I haven’t been to Travers for probably 10 years. But this will change now
Old 04-01-2023, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
Wow they finally allowing one walleye 50-55cm slot harvest in McGregor, Travers, Badger and Little Bow. Somebody finally started thinking with their heads
Slot is too big, travers is going to be brutalized
Old 04-01-2023, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/dbf3...tions-2023.pdf
l Alberta resident Canadian Armed Forces Veterans are eligible
for a free sportfishing licence.

not a gripe but now they bring this in after I dont need a frikkin license anymore. 50 years I paid for one. still happy they finally did for the younger vets
**** mine auto renewed. Wonder if I can get it refunded
Old 04-01-2023, 09:20 AM

Will be busy at Travers, lots of Walleye in the slot range.Be nice to have one for the pan again. Hopefully poaching will be monitored closely.
Old 04-01-2023, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
Keho seems to be doing just fine. And Travers is much bigger body of water.
Old 04-01-2023, 11:38 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/dbf3...tions-2023.pdf
l Alberta resident Canadian Armed Forces Veterans are eligible
for a free sportfishing licence.

not a gripe but now they bring this in after I dont need a frikkin license anymore. 50 years I paid for one. still happy they finally did for the younger vets
So I seen the kind gesture put forth but went to the albertarelm to apply for the vet license and cant find it anywhere.
If someone can guide me in the right direction greatly appreciated.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-01-2023, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
For years not that long ago you were allowed to keep 3 walleye over 50 cm’s and you know what I was able to catch my limit fairly regularly along with a pile of smaller walleye, in addition I saw the biggest walleye I’ve ever seen out of there while we were able to keep them (33.5 inches) Only difference was there were more pike and whitefish as well. This is a change that was needed in travers and a few other lakes, the whitefish in mcgregor are almost collapsed, the last time I went out to fish the dam during the spawn (2 years ago) I saw 1 whitefish, the walleye are eating the lakes out of house and home.
Old 04-01-2023, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
So I seen the kind gesture put forth but went to the albertarelm to apply for the vet license and cant find it anywhere.
If someone can guide me in the right direction greatly appreciated.
i logged into AB RELM "my account" clicked on purchase a Fishing license, then CAF member and it came up. Proceed to check out, check out it should say $0.00 purchase. DONE, now print it off
Old 04-02-2023, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
i logged into AB RELM "my account" clicked on purchase a Fishing license, then CAF member and it came up. Proceed to check out, check out it should say $0.00 purchase. DONE, now print it off

Had to update my profile, click box AB resident CAF Veteran and add my record of service ND175 card serial number then all was straight foreword.

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-02-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
For years not that long ago you were allowed to keep 3 walleye over 50 cm’s and you know what I was able to catch my limit fairly regularly along with a pile of smaller walleye, in addition I saw the biggest walleye I’ve ever seen out of there while we were able to keep them (33.5 inches) Only difference was there were more pike and whitefish as well. This is a change that was needed in travers and a few other lakes, the whitefish in mcgregor are almost collapsed, the last time I went out to fish the dam during the spawn (2 years ago) I saw 1 whitefish, the walleye are eating the lakes out of house and home.
Just like they did in pigeon lake years ago , it seems like they are slow learners.
Old 04-02-2023, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
Have you noticed the large numbers of meat anglers targeting the Whitefish on the reservoirs. They catch and keep the limit on a regular basis. Agreed the Walleye are taking lots though,I for one will keep a legal Walleye for sure.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Have you noticed the large numbers of meat anglers targeting the Whitefish on the reservoirs. They catch and keep the limit on a regular basis. Agreed the Walleye are taking lots though,I for one will keep a legal Walleye for sure.
No doubt fishing regs promoting all C&K regulations towards whitefish, perch, and burbot has not helped

When you make the popular predator species pike and walleye C&R and only have C&K for whitefish, perch, and burbot they will get hit hard by both fishermen and predator species. Add in that whitefish, perch, and burbot are forage species too it causes a negative effect on pike and walleye

So basically a management disaster if you are trying to achieve a balance of predators and forage

All it takes to realize this was a bad idea is basic knowledge of the food web in a ecosystem
Old 04-02-2023, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
No doubt fishing regs promoting all C&K regulations towards whitefish, perch, and burbot has not helped

When you make the popular predator species pike and walleye C&R and only have C&K for whitefish, perch, and burbot they will get hit hard by both fishermen and predator species. Add in that whitefish, perch, and burbot are forage species too it causes a negative effect on pike and walleye

So basically a management disaster if you are trying to achieve a balance of predators and forage

All it takes to realize this was a bad idea is basic knowledge of the food web in a ecosystem
Prussian carp may become a big forage fish,along with crayfish which are already eaten.Burbot are in a bit of a decline sizewize, 10 is a little high for catch and keep. Time will tell if the new regs make a difference to the Walleye.For sure many will be kept.
Old 04-02-2023, 12:07 PM

Don't recall it being implemented last year, but I noticed you can "E-tag" your walleye this year. Nice option.
Old 04-02-2023, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Prussian carp may become a big forage fish,along with crayfish which are already eaten.Burbot are in a bit of a decline sizewize, 10 is a little high for catch and keep. Time will tell if the new regs make a difference to the Walleye.For sure many will be kept.
Regardless those 3 species I mentioned are important native forage species. The two introduced species you bring up create a new factor that bring both advantages and disadvantages as they will compete for resources with native species

The other thing many fishermen don’t understand is every body of water has a maximum carrying capacity according to the habitat, seasonal oxygen levels, and forage combined that make things more complicated when stocking. If you want quality fish it’s a matter of finding the magic buffer zone. Start putting too much pressure on important resources you and up with a number of different issues. You will also have displacement of species that compete for similar forage and habitat if the numbers favor one over the other significantly

There will definitely be a change over time with both the new regs and invasive species

But no matter what happens a portion of fishermen will cry lol
Old 04-02-2023, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Keho seems to be doing just fine. And Travers is much bigger body of water.
Travers gets a lot of pressure
Old 04-02-2023, 02:55 PM

Alberta has very few Native fish species,those we have have been spread around the Province via stocking. Travers only had Walleye stocked around 40 years ago,prior to that it was mostly a pike and whitefish lake. I believe the whitefish were stocked partly to provide a net fishery way back,not certain about this.The pike were there from the binging.

Walleye are a great sport fish, they are also great eating. I think it can sustain some harvest. I know Walleye eat crayfish as do the burbot,not sure about pike. Perhaps the big pike will make some gains.
Old 04-02-2023, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Alberta has very few Native fish species,those we have have been spread around the Province via stocking. Travers only had Walleye stocked around 40 years ago,prior to that it was mostly a pike and whitefish lake. I believe the whitefish were stocked partly to provide a net fishery way back,not certain about this.The pike were there from the binging.

Walleye are a great sport fish, they are also great eating. I think it can sustain some harvest. I know Walleye eat crayfish as do the burbot,not sure about pike. Perhaps the big pike will make some gains.
I’m going to go with the pike we’re placed there at some point because it was a coulee before they put a dam on it, I know there is a water source that possible allowed a path from another water body I guess as is the same as all of the lakes south of highway 1 but without help it would take multiple decades to even notice fish in a water body the size of Mcgregor. Travers, badger and little bow are small in comparison but still are man made as well.
Old 04-02-2023, 03:36 PM

Twin Valley was never socked with pike. They were in the Little bow that filled it,same river that runs into Travers on the SE end. I could be wrong though.
Old 04-02-2023, 04:14 PM

As much as I enjoy eating walleye, there is no possible way that this level of bar harvest on Mcgregor and Travers is sustainable. I believe the Fisheries biologists are on record stating this. I attended the recent webinars put on by them and they certainly did not suggest that these changes were coming. I believe the best way to remove walleye would have been a tag system, two years from now people will be complaining that there are no walleye left in these reservoirs.
Old 04-02-2023, 04:24 PM

Over the years, since the walleye were stocked, I have watched the quality of the pike in these reservoirs degrade to where it is now. I believe that there are too many walleye now and some sort of harvest to get the numbers down is necessary. Not sure if they can sustain a long term harvest but this is a good start.
Old 04-02-2023, 05:13 PM

Quote:

Regardless of the native to the body water or not the basics of carrying capacity of a body do to resources and habitat stand. Everything stated regarding forage still applies. This is not just pulling things out of thin air they are factual factors that affect the quality and makeup of the ecosystem in a body of water. How you manipulate theses factors through management play a roll on the kind of fishery you get

In the end fisherman have different preferences and some will enjoy the changes well others complain. This is why it is wise to manage different bodies of water with different goals

Either way let’s see how it goes.
Old 04-03-2023, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Wow they finally allowing one walleye 50-55cm slot harvest in McGregor, Travers, Badger and Little Bow. Somebody finally started thinking with their heads
What??? And NO TAG required. Have not seen the reg's yet but did they eliminate the Walleye tag for CVR? Go with the slot limit?
Old 04-03-2023, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
What??? And NO TAG required. Have not seen the reg's yet but did they eliminate the Walleye tag for CVR? Go with the slot limit?
Nope, tags required as per previous year. So CVR and Newell tags are required.
Old 04-03-2023, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly Guy View Post
As much as I enjoy eating walleye, there is no possible way that this level of bar harvest on Mcgregor and Travers is sustainable. I believe the Fisheries biologists are on record stating this. I attended the recent webinars put on by them and they certainly did not suggest that these changes were coming. I believe the best way to remove walleye would have been a tag system, two years from now people will be complaining that there are no walleye left in these reservoirs.
As mentioned earlier in the thread, the limit used to be 3 over 50cm (10 years ago or so) & people still caught something to bring home every so often. The slot is absolutely fine and won’t make a dent. If they really wanted to enhance these fisheries, they’d stock minnows. The reservoirs just need more biomass as they have limits without intervention. I’ve noticed a significant difference for walleye in a reservoir where a prey species was stocked. Bit of a broken record here. There are trophy lakes/reservoirs that have had a walleye slot for ages and still produce monsters.
Old 04-03-2023, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I’d rather be outdoors View Post
As mentioned earlier in the thread, the limit used to be 3 over 50cm (10 years ago or so) & people still caught something to bring home every so often. The slot is absolutely fine and won’t make a dent. If they really wanted to enhance these fisheries, they’d stock minnows. The reservoirs just need more biomass as they have limits without intervention. I’ve noticed a significant difference for walleye in a reservoir where a prey species was stocked. Bit of a broken record here. There are trophy lakes/reservoirs that have had a walleye slot for ages and still produce monsters.
I hope you're right. However if you look at the last index survey they conducted, it's clear there is next to no successful spawning. But time will tell.
Old 04-03-2023, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Thanks for posting .
This was my very first time i read their regs.
Some interesting facts I read that are different than ours .

All fish are measured with out pinching the tail .

I was unable to find the limits or length of fish for each lake but I did find that
Province wide all walleye over 55 must be released and all Lake trout over 65 must be released . Nice !
I kind of like that ,I wish Alberta had the same . But I would also include that that it would include all statues treaty indian fishermen also.

I also read a non- treaty indain person can not even help pull up a net or help clean or even touch a fish or big game like helping lifting a moose into a back of a truck that was taken by a treaty person . The most they can do is help transport it down the hwy.

I think Alberta needs more info in their regs so we we don't get caught just helping a guy pull a moose in his truck .
Alberta reg's state that when measuring fish, Measuring Fish Length
Length – the total length of a fish
is measured from the tip of the
nose or jaw to the tip of the tail or
caudal fin with the tail pinched.
Old 04-04-2023, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Alberta reg's state that when measuring fish, Measuring Fish Length
Length – the total length of a fish
is measured from the tip of the
nose or jaw to the tip of the tail or
caudal fin with the tail pinched.
JR was referring to Manitoba in his post.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:04 AM

It has certainly been nice not to buy a license after 65, but I prefer what BC does, making the over 65 Licence at $5.50. It tracks how many seniors fish, adds some funding, and makes everyone licensed.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 04-04-2023, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly Guy View Post
I hope you're right. However if you look at the last index survey they conducted, it's clear there is next to no successful spawning. But time will tell.
I actually did have a peak at it, but that’s another thread, fair to mention though. I think the best thing people can do to further ensure the sustainability is to advocate for forage (minnow/baitfish) stocking. There’s a clear analogue of another reservoir where stocking of a prey species had a significant impact and the walleye started spawning again (which wasn’t actually the goal from a fisheries management perspective, but is a fantastic outcome regardless).