Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-15-2023, 06:58 PM

Default Walleye tournament Virgin

My friend and i were looking into maybe entering a walleye tournament for the first time with no previous experience.I understand I will get alot of negative feedback asking questions but oh well.Are newcomers welcomed or frowned upon?We have a good boat and fishing experience but no knowledge of tournament fishing.What are the most critical elements to get prepared for and absolute must haves.I understand we arent going to know everything but we just wanted to experience the thrill of the tourney.The only drawback is I cant afford expensive electronics such as Livescope and high end sonar and this will be a slight disadvantage.Starting from ground zero so all feedback is welcomed.
Old 04-15-2023, 07:16 PM

I don’t have any experience fishing walleye tournaments but it seems like lead weights that can be easily swallowed by walleye are important

Outside of that go out enjoy yourself and good luck
Old 04-15-2023, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I don’t have any experience fishing walleye tournaments but it seems like lead weights that can be easily swallowed by walleye are important

Outside of that go out enjoy yourself and good luck
You forgot the fillets that go with the lead weights!

Just go have fun OP. Gotta start and learn somewhere if your wanting to break into the tournament circuit.
Old 04-15-2023, 10:13 PM

Go, have fun, and use your experience as a learning opportunity.

If you are able to find the fish, and put the right presentation in front of them, you may surprise yourself and do well.

Years of experience will tell you whether to bottom bounce an area, jig it, or run cranks to cover active suspended fish. If you have lots of experience doing many different things, under tough conditions, you stand a better chance of doing well.
Old 04-15-2023, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Go, have fun, and use your experience as a learning opportunity.

If you are able to find the fish, and put the right presentation in front of them, you may surprise yourself and do well.

Years of experience will tell you whether to bottom bounce an area, jig it, or run cranks to cover active suspended fish. If you have lots of experience doing many different things, under tough conditions, you stand a better chance of doing well.
Sorry wrong quote
Old 04-15-2023, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
My friend and i were looking into maybe entering a walleye tournament for the first time with no previous experience.I understand I will get alot of negative feedback asking questions but oh well.Are newcomers welcomed or frowned upon?We have a good boat and fishing experience but no knowledge of tournament fishing.What are the most critical elements to get prepared for and absolute must haves.I understand we arent going to know everything but we just wanted to experience the thrill of the tourney.The only drawback is I cant afford expensive electronics such as Livescope and high end sonar and this will be a slight disadvantage.Starting from ground zero so all feedback is welcomed.
What lake and what time of year, I’ll help as best I can, I’ve been to a few, what kind of boat and horsepower, trollers?, need more info.

Last edited by Jims83cj5; 04-15-2023 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-16-2023, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post

Just go have fun OP. Gotta start and learn somewhere if your wanting to break into the tournament circuit.
the tournaments use length of fish then covert that to a weight so you can stuff your fish all you want it won't change the lenghten , a lot harder to cheat .
Old 04-16-2023, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post

TOO FUNNY
Old 04-16-2023, 10:41 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

Well I know two fellas that entered a walleye tournament in Saskatchewan many moons ago, 12 foot tinner with a 9.9 on the back.
They bloody well won!
Got cash, new boat etc
They just went out and had fun.
Didn’t put pressure on themselves etc but after that they thought they were a shoe in for next year etc
Hard no!
Talked to the one fella and said it wasn’t fun anymore overthinking things etc.
Enter the tournament, try different things, most importantly just have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-16-2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
the tournaments use length of fish then covert that to a weight so you can stuff your fish all you want it won't change the lenghten , a lot harder to cheat .
Lakes with a retention equal or greater than the number of fish you can enter in a day are usually a 3 under a certain size and two over a certain size and need to brought in alive. 10% penalty for a dead fish. Sask. Runs like this in most. Lakes with a smaller than a full card limit or no retention are as you say.
Old 04-16-2023, 11:23 AM

The key to winning or being near the top is knowledge of said lake from previous experience or come early a few days and pre fish it.
Nice to have some solid starting points on tournament day.
Everyone was a newb tournament fisherman at one time. Everyone.
Old 04-16-2023, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
I think you missed the joke…
Old 04-17-2023, 07:02 AM

Quote:
You won't get negative feedback, newcomers are definitely welcomed. As someone said above, we were ALL newbies at some point. There's some negative stereotypes out there, and to be fair, there are a few of those guys, but I think you'll find that by far most tournament fishermen are really good people.

Must haves - a boat that floats, a motor that runs, a livewell (depending on the tournament), a JUDGE ruler, fishing tackle, and a net. To be truly competetive, a trolling motor (or two), and a decent sonar unit that you know how to work really well are pretty much required. Everything else helps, but you don't need it to fish (or win) a tournament.

The biggest thing I would tell you, is to watch and learn. Not just the fishing part, you're likely already pretty good at that, it's everything else that goes into it. Launching, loading, boat inspections, boat prep, keeping track of your place in the lineup, making sure you have all your paperwork sorted out (Entry fee, big fish pools, etc...), knowing the rules and where the boundaries or any "no go" zones are, etc... Don't be the guy holding up a 100 boats or cutting the lineup, that's a surefire way to get off on the wrong foot lol.

I would say the single most critical difference between "fun fishing" and tournament fishing is the level of BOAT CONTROL you need to have. There are going to be situations where you'll be in a big pack of boats, sometimes no more than a rod length or two apart, on rough water. Whether you're fishing, or just trying to get through the weigh in lineup, you MUST be constantly aware and in control of your boat. In the end, things happen, and guys will generally help out, but if you're a train wreck, you'll have a lot of people mad at you pretty quickly. There's also going to be a lot of boats running around at 50+ mph, especially at the start and end times, so be aware and be safe. The driver concentrates on driving, the passenger should be constantly monitoring the other boats and informing the driver. Don't cut people off, and don't cut the throttle unexpectedly. No fish is worth dying for.

You have to respect each other's position, if a guy's on a spot, it's his spot until he moves, but that doesn't mean everyone is going to back off and give you a ton of space LOL. You need to be comfortable with other boats and people fishing close to you, it's just the nature of the game. If the fish are bunched up, the boats will pack up, and it can get "interesting" at times when everyone is trying fish the same spot lol, but if a person has a good fish on, they have the right of way and you give them room to fight it.

Other than that, it's just fishing. Don't overthink that part of it. Get your boat setup so everything is organized and easy to get at. Make sure all your rods and reels are in tip top shape and ready to go. Try to get there a few days in advance to get comfortable, cover some water, try different techniques, see where the action is, and get a plan going. Again, don't be afraid to watch and learn. It takes time, but you'll figure it all out.

The biggest thing - have fun and enjoy the experience! It really is a thrill to be part of. Careful though, it's addicting, and it's NOT a cheap habit.
Old 04-17-2023, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Which lake the tourney is on is important. Some tourneys you can get by with juts a bow mount, others you'll need a Vanatge for back trolling. Pre-fishing is important to key in on what the fish are biting on and where they are hanging out. Proper kit is key, electronics are nice but as long as you have a reasonable sonar you'll be ok. Follow the rules and you'll be just fine!
Old 04-17-2023, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrance Fishburn View Post
Which lake the tourney is on is important. Some tourneys you can get by with juts a bow mount, others you'll need a Vanatge for back trolling. Pre-fishing is important to key in on what the fish are biting on and where they are hanging out. Proper kit is key, electronics are nice but as long as you have a reasonable sonar you'll be ok. Follow the rules and you'll be just fine!
Never seen a vantage at a tourny in Alberta yet, what situation would they be of value. Back trolling on Newell or 40 mile is a good way to meet the lake bottom
Old 04-17-2023, 06:45 PM

Thanks to everyone for their input. It has opened my eyes to tournament fishing. I never really looked that much into them till now and realized how expensive they are to enter. I just got excited watching the walleye tour on sportsman tv and thought it would be a bucket list item. Lots yet to learn here before we venture out. All info has been helpful so I appreciate it.
Old 04-17-2023, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
Never seen a vantage at a tourny in Alberta yet, what situation would they be of value. Back trolling on Newell or 40 mile is a good way to meet the lake bottom
I backtroll a ton on Newel and 40 mile. Never had an issue. I run wave whackers and dont even think twice about driving transom into the wind. I can hold tight on structure or a pod of fish in basically any fishable wind and waves. I run a 60hp yamaha tiller with electronic rpm control but I have ran a vantage in the past as well as other electric backtrolling motors. I have fished the SAWT on and off for around 15 years. A knew a bunch of guys that backtrolled with a vantage in tournies constantly. I havent fished the tournies for the past few years due to being busy with my kids sports but I am sure a few guys still have them rigged up.
Old 04-18-2023, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for their input. It has opened my eyes to tournament fishing. I never really looked that much into them till now and realized how expensive they are to enter. I just got excited watching the walleye tour on sportsman tv and thought it would be a bucket list item. Lots yet to learn here before we venture out. All info has been helpful so I appreciate it.
Yeah, it's not cheap. You're looking at around $750-1000 per person by the time you pay the entry fee, gas, bait, lodging, meals, etc... Don't count on winning money lol, that's just a bonus. You kinda have to view it as a vacation, and if you look at it that way, it's pretty cheap compared to flying somewhere for a week in the sun.

Don't give up on it, they're a great time and one of the best ways to learn and improve your skills as an angler.
Old 04-18-2023, 08:14 AM

Quote:
All of the guys I know that fish the SAWT have a Vantage on their boat. You will see VERY few boats at a walleye tournament in Sask without a Vantage, and depending on the conditions and the bite, those guys are at a real disadvantage compared to the rest of the field.

In the hands of a good operator, the Vantage is the most effective boat control tool ever invented. More effective than spot lock. For any fishing technique that requires precise boat control - pitching/vertical jigging, lindy rigging, vertically fishing jigging raps, power slip bobbing, you name it, there is simply no comparison to the level of control you can attain with a Vantage. Now add in 3-30 other boats all close together, a good walleye chop (or 4 ft'ers), and if you don't have a Vantage, you're not fishing as effectively as the guy who does.

There's no difference between back trolling and trolling forward when it comes to "meeting the bottom". In fact, back trolling is less likely to put you in a bad situation, as you're right there at the stern, close to the water, where your transducers are, looking out the back of the boat and watching your sonar.
Old 04-18-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
All of the guys I know that fish the SAWT have a Vantage on their boat. You will see VERY few boats at a walleye tournament in Sask without a Vantage, and depending on the conditions and the bite, those guys are at a real disadvantage compared to the rest of the field.

In the hands of a good operator, the Vantage is the most effective boat control tool ever invented. More effective than spot lock. For any fishing technique that requires precise boat control - pitching/vertical jigging, lindy rigging, vertically fishing jigging raps, power slip bobbing, you name it, there is simply no comparison to the level of control you can attain with a Vantage. Now add in 3-30 other boats all close together, a good walleye chop (or 4 ft'ers), and if you don't have a Vantage, you're not fishing as effectively as the guy who does.

There's no difference between back trolling and trolling forward when it comes to "meeting the bottom". In fact, back trolling is less likely to put you in a bad situation, as you're right there at the stern, close to the water, where your transducers are, looking out the back of the boat and watching your sonar.
I dont recall seeing any at the last 5 Sawt events i was at, maybe Rambo had one as he has everything else maybe i need to pay more attention. my boat has about 8 inchs in the back before the wave is in the boat and its flat accross the middle one third. trolling motor up front on my boat is over two feet up from the water with a deep v splitting the waves As far as the transducer, most have transducers front-and back, i have two at the front and two at the back. To each their own i suppose but i would rather have the kicker at the back that doesn't pull anymore battery power especially in the bad southern winds. im running 6 batteries now and dont need anymore drain. About the only advantage i can see is to limit drift socks but you can do the same with a bow mount, just turn the boat around into the wind and watch your gps speed until you are where you want to be, id put another active target in the back way before id get a Vantage but that just me i guess

Last edited by Jims83cj5; 04-18-2023 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-18-2023, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I dont recall seeing any at the last 5 Sawt events i was at, maybe Rambo had one as he has everything else maybe i need to pay more attention. my boat has about 8 inchs in the back before the wave is in the boat and its flat accross the middle one third. trolling motor up front on my boat is over two feet up from the water with a deep v splitting the waves As far as the transducer, most have transducers front-and back, i have two at the front and two at the back. To each their own i suppose but i would rather have the kicker at the back that doesn't pull anymore battery power especially in the bad southern winds. im running 6 batteries now and dont need anymore drain. About the only advantage i can see is to limit drift socks but you can do the same with a bow mount, just turn the boat around into the wind and watch your gps speed until you are where you want to be, id put another active target in the back way before id get a Vantage but that just me i guess
All I can tell you is, don't knock it until you've tried it, you might be surprised.
For certain techniques and conditions, a bow mount trolling motor simply can't compete with a Vantage.

The worst part about this whole discussion - Minn Kota has discontinued the Vantage. You can't even buy one if you wanted to...
Old 04-18-2023, 01:58 PM

Quote:
All I can tell you is, don't knock it until you've tried it, you might be surprised.
For certain techniques and conditions, a bow mount trolling motor simply can't compete with a Vantage.

The worst part about this whole discussion - Minn Kota has discontinued the Vantage. You can't even buy one if you wanted to...
No one else makes them?
Old 04-18-2023, 02:58 PM

Quote:
No one else makes them?
Nope.

The closest thing now available is a MinnKota Traxxis, and it can't hold a candle to the Vantage.

Unfortunately the Vantage had pretty much zero following with the bass fishing crowd, and they pretty much determine the fishing market in North America. Even a big chunk of the walleye world (the great lakes guys) doesn't use them. My understanding is that sales numbers dropped off as bow mounts got better, but have been fairly steady. Apparently it wasn't enough volume to make it worthwhile for Johnson Outdoors to keep making them.

The Vantage was far from perfect, and it hasn't been updated in over 20 years. It's a real shame, because the basic design is excellent, it just needed a few upgrades and it would have been far more reliable and user friendly. I really hope someone picks up the torch and brings back a similar design, but I'm not gonna hold my breath...
Old 04-18-2023, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Nope.

The closest thing now available is a MinnKota Traxxis, and it can't hold a candle to the Vantage.

Unfortunately the Vantage had pretty much zero following with the bass fishing crowd, and they pretty much determine the fishing market in North America. Even a big chunk of the walleye world (the great lakes guys) doesn't use them. My understanding is that sales numbers dropped off as bow mounts got better, but have been fairly steady. Apparently it wasn't enough volume to make it worthwhile for Johnson Outdoors to keep making them.

The Vantage was far from perfect, and it hasn't been updated in over 20 years. It's a real shame, because the basic design is excellent, it just needed a few upgrades and it would have been far more reliable and user friendly. I really hope someone picks up the torch and brings back a similar design, but I'm not gonna hold my breath...
Essentially its just an electric kicker is it not
Old 04-18-2023, 04:34 PM

We use a vantage all the time in the Premier tourney ( way easier for boat control in a controlled drift and too keep a steady speed)

Quote:
Old 04-18-2023, 05:43 PM

Quote:

THIS is exactly true.

With the innovations in bow mount units, and the ability they have now (much better thrust, control and features) the gap is smaller - and, ultimately, only a gap that "walleye type" fishing requires. The bass guys typically don't need as much precision and control. At least not in comparison to walleye guys. And that's simply not a big enough market for a corporation to invest in any further.

The other advantage of the vantage is, your bow pitches more, catches wind more, slides off to one side more in waves, over corrects more - which ultimately leads to less control and more constant corrections.

Pulling your boat backward, from the transom (which is kinda like a parachute) seems counter intuitive - unless you want the moves you make to be more predicable, controlled, etc..

I agree on both accounts.
Old 04-18-2023, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Essentially its just an electric kicker is it not
Not really. It’s actually terrible if you try to use it as a conventional kicker motor.

There’s a few things that set it apart.

1. Power stow and deploy. It’s unique in that regard.

2. Infinite and nearly instant speed control. With a slight movement of your thumb on little dial you get amazing thrust control, and it’s one handed.

3. 4X steering. This is the game changer and what makes the Vantage so special. 90 degrees of movement at the handle gives you a full 360 degrees of movement at the prop. Small movements of the handle give you complete, rapid and precise control of the boat in all four directions. The ability to move laterally and “slide” is what truly makes the Vantage untouchable when it comes to boat control.
Old 04-19-2023, 09:35 AM

I've spent more repairing my vantage than it originally cost in 2014...and ill do it again when it needs it.

They aren't very well made...I've done the lift motor 3 times lol

But the design is solid and when precise boat control is needed...i don't even deploy the ulterra.

It also works excellent when jigging lakers...i can stay right over top of them.

Racker if you are thinking to do any of the northern circuit shoot me a pm Ill share some spots with you. I'm nearing the end of my tourney days and they need young blood coming in.
Old 04-19-2023, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
I've spent more repairing my vantage than it originally cost in 2014...and ill do it again when it needs it.

They aren't very well made...I've done the lift motor 3 times lol.
If I count the repair bills for the times I've taken off with it down, I've likely paid for mine several times over LOL.

I have 3 and 1/2 of them. Two working units that always go with the boat on tournament weekends, a parts unit in the shed, and my prized possession, one of the very last 36V 101lb Vantages ever made - brand new in the box.
Old 04-19-2023, 10:22 AM

Quote:
If I count the repair bills for the times I've taken off with it down, I've likely paid for mine several times over LOL
I haven't done that one yet...but now that you said it, ill do it in June lol