Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-18-2017, 03:58 PM

Default Chinese broadheads

Even Rage heads are built in China. Regardless, what are your thoughts on them?

I bought a pile and the quality is exceptional. Sitting at about 60 heads and about 120$ spent.

I believe the majority of bhead companies are american. How does the AO world feel about it?

I bought Helix ones, DRT and a 4 blade knock off, all spin true, within a couple grains. Moral compass or wallet compass?

Cheers, soon be bear season THANK GOD we made it!!!!! Shout out to Lost, a knowledgeable bear whisperer.

RDH
Old 03-18-2017, 05:25 PM

I've looked at them a lot. If I could find some like the VPA brand I'd buy a truckload with no remorse. I'm sick of paying 30 bucks a head.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:55 PM

I love VPA and these are very close and 25$ for 12.Attachment 132220

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:27 PM
Banned

I've been using slick tricks for years and truth be told thunderheads did exactly same thing at what 1/2 price or so? I know dad won't change from them after twenty years and tons of elk and moose arrowed. But I believe in quality gear as well same with bullets and optics yeah sure cheaper stuff will do but when it comes time to pull trigger 30$ broad head is cheap compared to gas and money and tags spent looking for a trophy
Old 03-18-2017, 07:39 PM

I stick with new original authentic heads personally. Once I use a head on an animal I retire it.

I don't like to support the Chinese counterfeit market, it hurts the small local shops that purchase from distributors or direct from manufacturer.

LC
Old 03-18-2017, 07:59 PM

Good points for sure.
I personally hate losing a 50$ arrow.
It wrecks my day.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I stick with new original authentic heads personally. Once I use a head on an animal I retire it.

I don't like to support the Chinese counterfeit market, it hurts the small local shops that purchase from distributors or direct from manufacturer.

LC

Internet shopping as a whole does already.
Understood.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:15 PM

The "rage" broadheads from china are absolutely NOT rages. I got a pack of 20 of them for 25$ or some thing like that......I only did so because they are cheaper then judo points. Pure garbage. If a person is going to spend all kinds of money on fuel and gear, why cheap out on broadheads and risk your success or wound an animal just to save a couple bucks?
Old 03-21-2017, 12:07 PM

Use the knockoffs for practice if you need to buy them. Save the quality for the hunt.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:09 PM

I am new to bow hunting and accidentally bought some knock off DRTs before I realized that was even a thing. At a glance I can't tell the difference but I am not doing a direct side by side just comparing to photos and the one package I handled in a store. I have no intention of shooting them at game because I don't want to take the many many hours of practice and the time I will likely have toput in before I get a chance at an animal and gamble it on a broadhead made by some one who has no vested interest in producing a quality product. In the grand scheme of things is saving a bit of money on a broadhead worth it. I am going to hang on to them and once I have a few arrows I don't care about I'll shoot them into something hard and see what happens maybe save a front shoulder blade or something similar.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Arsenault View Post
The "rage" broadheads from china are absolutely NOT rages. I got a pack of 20 of them for 25$ or some thing like that......I only did so because they are cheaper then judo points. Pure garbage. If a person is going to spend all kinds of money on fuel and gear, why cheap out on broadheads and risk your success or wound an animal just to save a couple bucks?

Ahhh, Rage is an american company but heads are made in China anyway.

I am weighing, and testing only fixed heads, so far they seem too good to be true. Zero issues.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:23 AM

I was given 6 Chinese rage broadheads to try out. Been waiting for some nicer weather.

Any thoughts on what I should try them on? I was thinking something like milk jugs full of water.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 03-22-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog Edm View Post
I was given 6 Chinese rage broadheads to try out. Been waiting for some nicer weather.

Any thoughts on what I should try them on? I was thinking something like milk jugs full of water.
I think that if you tried them on plywood or something you would get a good indication of toughness. In the past I have used three-quarter inch. Put your broadhead target behind it or you will probably strip the fletches off your arrow.
Just a word of caution though, I have only tested them on fixed blade broadheads. You may damage mechanicals.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:26 AM

If you go on Archery Talk they have a few good threads on this. The heads may look the same but they are not made of the same materials most of the time, and the QC isn't there.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NayNay View Post
If you go on Archery Talk they have a few good threads on this. The heads may look the same but they are not made of the same materials most of the time, and the QC isn't there.
I read through almost all 46 pages of that thread. General consensus I gathered was: may come dull so need sharpening, they fly identical, throw out after one use if worried about quality.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:53 PM

I have lost only a single broad head while bow hunting -- took a last light shot at a grouse deep in the woods when hunting deer, Arrow deflected off some branch I could not see, turned off my nocktunral and I never found it.

Relative to my annual hunting spending, even the highest end broad heads are very affordable. I don't want to end up blood trailing a deer overnight because I bought a $2.00 broad head vs a $25 one. Especially considering the fixed ones essentially last forever - I've had my G5 Montecs for 15 years I think?
Old 04-01-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Arsenault View Post
Hundred percent agree,cheap knock offs not worth
risking a trophy over or wounding an animal. Buy the
real deal.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:44 PM

Default Montec knock offs

One of the local, Edmonton area sellers was selling knock of montecs a year or so back. Pricing was in line with the real montecs and many customers bought theses thinking they where getting the real product. Be cautious they are out there and quality is not even close.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:04 PM

Attachment 133145
At 20$ a dozen I am ok if they are one and done.
Gonna try the small 4 blade on a bear this spring.
All weights are good. Hold an edge and no complaints yet.

And dont get me wrong. I respect guys who insist on paying 60$ or more for three.

Personally I am a junkie for bheads so experimenting cheaply from china for now.

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:54 PM

So let me get this straight, you spend anywhere from $1000 to $3000 on your bow, arrows, strings, sights, rest, quiver, and stabilizer; not to mention hours of practice/range time; and than you want to skimp on broadheads?

Makes no sense. its like a guy who just threw down $15G's on a side by side and then buy tie downs from the dollar store to hold it on to the trailer.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:02 PM

I would rather support local than to buy into the knock off Chinese market, because once we stop supporting local we put our local pro-shops out of business. They don't set MSRP on the products they sell, there is value added in warranty and the R&D the companies that make originals have to charge somewhere for that.

LC
Old 04-19-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I would rather support local than to buy into the knock off Chinese market, because once we stop supporting local we put our local pro-shops out of business. They don't set MSRP on the products they sell, there is value added in warranty and the R&D the companies that make originals have to charge somewhere for that.

LC

I like to support local too, I wonder though how many of them are buying knock of heads and selling them at the full price?
Old 04-19-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manosteel View Post
So let me get this straight, you spend anywhere from $1000 to $3000 on your bow, arrows, strings, sights, rest, quiver, and stabilizer; not to mention hours of practice/range time; and than you want to skimp on broadheads?

Makes no sense. its like a guy who just threw down $15G's on a side by side and then buy tie downs from the dollar store to hold it on to the trailer.

Whats your point?
I pay 20$ for 12 that work awesome.
Hold an edge.
Group awesome.

I am not a purist. I only bow hunt for extra time.

Sorry. Spend away mam.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I like to support local too, I wonder though how many of them are buying knock of heads and selling them at the full price?
I know the shop I shoot out of uses legit products, but I would imagine there are some who cut corners....though I personally don't know any.

LC
Old 05-08-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
Whats your point?
I pay 20$ for 12 that work awesome.
Hold an edge.
Group awesome.

I am not a purist. I only bow hunt for extra time.
Sorry. Spend away mam.

For guys like you, they will work ........
Old 05-08-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
I read through almost all 46 pages of that thread. General consensus I gathered was: may come dull so need sharpening, they fly identical, throw out after one use if worried about quality.
As above.

As I had previously used brand name broadheads (Rage, Slick TrophyRidge, G5) and had them end up with bent blades and shattered ferules and such. As a result, I had adopted the mindset that a $15-20 broadhead may only be a single use item. But then I got to thinking... If that is the case, why is a Chinese bh any different. I bought some knock-off 'Rages' a try last year and experienced the dull factor but no other draw back. After sharpening then using, only had a slight bend to a blade (similar to the real deal). So... while I would love to support local, what are local guys doing for us? The prices there and at big boxers have only been increasing with no regard for the customer. Maybe if they start to lose some business they will get a clue...
Old 05-08-2017, 09:04 PM

I have some knock off Rage heads I was given, and have several more fixed type on the way. I hope they are good quality and fly well, if they do I will have one in the quiver for shooting at coyotes or the like. When I'm going to shoot at a big game animal though, I will be using a real Magnus or Exodus head.

If the head is made in North America, I won't buy just the chinese knock off, I like to support quality manufacturers. Still, I can't afford to shoot $15-20 heads just for fun, so if I can buy a decent shooting head for cheap to practice with I'll do it, but I'll still buy real heads for hunting. On the other hand, if the heads are being manufactured in China anyway, then being marked up a huge amount for retail to us here, I don't feel quite so bad about buying the cheap knock off version.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:44 PM

SMH...how many broadheads are you guys destroying that this is even a conversation??? Lucky if I shoot three arrows at game in a season. Add one for tuning. Certainly ain't gonna break the bank.

Reminds me of a guy I knew who resharpens and straightens mechanical blades, then complains of game not going down quick enough. Put new muzzy or slick trick blades under a microscope and then look at some resharpened ones.

IMO: Projectiles are disposable. Broadheads are a one and done deal, arrows are one deer then into the practice pile. No chances taken on those rare opportunities we work so hard for.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:01 PM

I haven't taken the time to shoot my knock off broadsheets that I got. I will one day am try to video or at least take pictures. I just know that I am going to use the 100 grain slick trick magnums that I trust for hunting season. I agree with 3blade, broadsheets are disposable. I use one to site in. I keep extra blades just in case. I buy one pack a year. Im on a tight budget but i feel its an important purchase.

Here's few pictures of the Chinese broadheads I got.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!

Last edited by Bulldog Edm; 05-10-2017 at 09:11 PM.