Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
My advice is not to avoid the tests you should be getting...and don't fear the "procedures". One thing is worse than finding out you have prostrate or colon cancer ... is having it, and not knowing.
The main fear of colonoscopy is just the fear ... for the most part they are just a bit uncomfortable but no big deal. I had several but not any more because I no longer have a colon. They reconfigured part of my small intestine ten years ago and life is good.
It is my understanding that there is a direct relationship between age and urinary frequency. ...Because the bladder loses some elasticity ... doesn't empty completely...so need another potty trip before long. Bladder relaxants can help at night. During the day, being retired and living on an acreage reduces the inconvenience
Sounds like alot of dead grass by the back door
Old 04-18-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newellknik View Post
Pretty well the only condition I didn't have in common with the old
Guy coffee clan .....Turned seventy , complained to doc I can't stand up
Without having to pee . ... Ultra sound , enlarged , PSA same as always 2,
Aavadart, suppose to shrink it . I have 2 buddies both have cancer .,
1 going soon for 40 days radiation, other doesn't know yet .
It is what it is ....the 3 of us plan on fishing lots .

Cystoscopy , while sitting in the waiting room , a 20 yr. 6' 6" ,250
came out from the back room , total emotional breakdown , crying
Like 2 babies . 80 yr. old sitting there says ....Aw **** I ve had 3 of
those in the last year , nothing to it . I nearly walked !
I hardly screamed !
I made some serious Marty Feldman eye contact with the other poor bastards waiting for their Cystoscopy as I exited the waiting room after my procedure.

Laughed all the way home and took a long hot shower.

Last edited by omega50; 04-18-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:10 PM

Got my TURP appointment for May 25.

Dr says he'll have me pi**ing over a 6ft fence before the summers over. Right now I can barely pi** past the end of my boots and at night I can be 20 minutes try to whizz!

Yes I'm scared! But looking forward to getting this over with. Been having issues for 15 years. Tried everything I could. TURP is the last option. It's suppose to hurt like hell too!

I'll post a follow up report on the care I receive and the pain. I have a strong pain threshold but yesterday's cystoscopy made me scream!

No pictures will be shared

BW
Old 04-24-2017, 09:09 PM

Seen the Doc today for my full medical, he said the old prostate feels normal for someone my age (62). As well, I'm not suffering from a number of the issues others here are experiencing.

Going Friday for my blood work etc .... during my Q&A today, we discussed the feeling of not emptying the bladder and getting up at 4:00 am to pee, I asked about Flomax he called it Tamsulosin and said we can look into it after the lab results are back.

I don't take any meds whatsoever, searched the net found some info and was wondering if others here use Flomax/Tamsulosin and would share pros/cons ...

Tks

D.

Cut & Paste .....

Tamsulosin is used by men to treat the symptoms of an enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia-BPH). It does not shrink the prostate, but it works by relaxing the muscles in the prostate and the bladder. This helps to relieve symptoms of BPH such as difficulty in beginning the flow of urine, weak stream, and the need to urinate often or urgently (including during the middle of the night).

Tamsulosin belongs to a class of drugs known as alpha blockers. Do not use this medication to treat high blood pressure.

OTHER USES: This section contains uses of this drug that are not listed in the approved professional labeling for the drug but that may be prescribed by your health care professional. Use this drug for a condition that is listed in this section only if it has been so prescribed by your health care professional.

Tamsulosin may also be used to help your body "pass," or get rid of, kidney stones through urination. It has also been used to help treat bladder problems in women.

How to use tamsulosin

Read the Patient Information Leaflet if available from your pharmacist before you start taking this medication and each time you get a refill. If you have any questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.

Take this medication by mouth as directed by your doctor, usually once daily, 30 minutes after the same meal each day. Swallow this medication whole. Do not crush, chew, or open the capsules.

The dosage is based on your medical condition and response to treatment.

Tamsulosin may cause a sudden drop in your blood pressure, which could lead to dizziness or fainting. This risk is higher when you first start taking this drug, after your doctor increases your dose, or if you restart treatment after you stop taking it. During these times, avoid situations where you may be injured if you faint.

Take this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, take it at the same time each day.

If you have not taken this drug for several days, contact your doctor to see if you need to be restarted at a lower dose.

It may take up to 4 weeks before your symptoms improve. Tell your doctor if your condition does not improve or if it worsens.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:33 PM

I take 2 tamsulosin tabs each nite before bed. I started taking them during my radiation treatment for prostate cancer. The radiation was making it so I couldn't pee.....now I pee all the time during the day and only get up once in the nite to go.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:09 PM

I got scoped yesterday. Second time in a few years. First time was rough. Yesterday was very easy. Newer equipment and a talented surgeon. Nothing to fear if you need it.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Shy View Post
What do you guys class as a high psa ? Mine has been 5.8 to 6. 2 for the last 5 years psa is tested every 6 months and a biopsy every year things seem to be good but I am being told in time this will have to be delte with do you agree ??
My psa test in Feb. was 7.9 , biopsy in March was normal . Psa test every 6 months biopsy once every year
Old 04-26-2017, 05:47 PM

As has been noted earlier in this post, the number is not necessarily what should worry you.....it is the increase of the number. My PSA only got as high as 5.4, yet I had cancer in 3 of the 12 samples in the biopsy.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
[SIZE="3"]Seen the Doc today for my full medical, he said the old prostate feels normal for someone my age (62). As well, I'm not suffering from a number of the issues others here are experiencing.

Going Friday for my blood work etc .... during my Q&A today, we discussed the feeling of not emptying the bladder and getting up at 4:00 am to pee, I asked about Flomax he called it Tamsulosin and said we can look into it after the lab results are back.

I don't take any meds whatsoever, searched the net found some info and was wondering if others here use Flomax/Tamsulosin and would share pros/cons ...

Tks
I was going two or three times a night. One Flomax and 2 weeks later I could sleep for 7 to 8 hours without peeing. I have no side effects.

It can cause ejaculation problems with some men - it apparently goes back into the bladder. No issues with me however.

I guess you have to decide whether you want to come or go.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:43 PM
Banned

Default hit me with laugh fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Got my TURP appointment for May 25.

Dr says he'll have me pi**ing over a 6ft fence before the summers over. Right now I can barely pi** past the end of my boots and at night I can be 20 minutes try to whizz!

Yes I'm scared! But looking forward to getting this over with. Been having issues for 15 years. Tried everything I could. TURP is the last option. It's suppose to hurt like hell too!

I'll post a follow up report on the care I receive and the pain. I have a strong pain threshold but yesterday's cystoscopy made me scream!

No pictures will be shared

BW
Good writing
Old 04-27-2017, 09:15 AM

Guys with modest PSA's no significant change in number, biopses with no cancer, then keep monitoring. Real trouble starts when you have number of positve biopses. If cancer gets out of prostate into other organs then this is real serious.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:14 PM

Default Prostate

Had the prostate gland taken out at 59 (6 yrs ago). Numbers slowly crept up over the years to 5.2, but the biopsy showed 5 of 12 samples with cancerous cells, 2 samples were about 50%. With 2 older brothers who had the operation (both were 70-75 with much higher numbers and bladder issues), my fate was sealed. Since then, lots more info on the cons and pros of an operation makes me rethink that decision, especially losing erection ability. The big risk is the possibility of the slow growth cancer cells affecting other nearby organs/tissue. Tough gamble to take. Had all my work done at the Rockyview Urology clinic in Calgary. Dr. Lee was excellent.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:33 PM

Default Prostate

I am in my 60's. A few years ago I started peeing in spurts and friends said I should see a doctor. Pas test was around 2, finger test showed no problem. Someone told me about apple cider vinegar. Started shooting 2 tbs vinegar and 2 tbs water first thing in the morning. After 4 days I was peeing normal. Now I shoot 2 tbs vinegar/ water first thing in the morning and when I go to bed. It works for me, so far I am in great shape.Sly Stallone is a big proponent of taking apple cider vinegar