Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2017, 10:40 PM

Default Remember the bison in Banff?

Well, the multiplying has begun. 😐
But don't worry, they have a plan this time.
It just omits a few people....

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/c...wild-1.4085012

Calgary

Wild bison calves born in Banff National Park 'a huge step' to reintroduction

Parks Canada says it's the 1st time wild bison have been born in the national park's backcountry in 140 years.

Bison recently introduced into Banff's backcountry are settling into their new homes by welcoming new offspring to the herd.

Parks Canada says it's the first time wild bison calves have been born in Banff's backcountry in 140 years.

The first calf was born on Earth Day last weekend, and two more tiny bison have joined the herd since. Parks Canada expects seven more calves to follow soon.

"It's fantastic. We knew it was coming, but when the message came out of the backcountry on Saturday that the first calf had already dropped, I think everyone was pleasantly surprised," said Bill Hunt, a resource conservation manager with Parks Canada.

"It's a really key step, and the fact that these young calves look so healthy and so well adjusted in this habitat is really encouraging."

Known as red coats, the baby bison are currently sticking close to their mothers who can be quite assertive, Hunt said.

The male bison seem to be curious, but are keeping their distance. Hunt said grizzly bears have been known to seek out elk calves, but the current paddock that the bison call home offers some protection from predators.

The calves are expected to become more playful in the near future, but are currently enjoying the fresh snowfall in the Banff area.

The reintroduction of a wild bison population back in the park is part of Canada's 150th anniversary celebrations.

Officials also hope that the calving bison will help tether the plains animals to the area.

"It's a huge step in this process," said Hunt. "We know … that where a young female drops her calf it really ties her to that space even if she was born somewhere else."

While many remember what Parks Canada calls a "display herd" of bison housed in a paddock near the Banff townsite until 1997, this new herd represents a return to wild animals.

In February, 16 bison — 10 pregnant cows and six males were loaded onto shipping containers on trucks in Elk Island National Park, about 35 kilometres east of Edmonton.

The shipping containers were ferried by helicopter to an enclosed pasture in Panther Valley near Sundre on the eastern slopes of the park

The bison are being monitored by Parks Canada using radio collars.

"We've been giving them lots of space," said Hunt. "The staff are watching from quite a distance using spotting scopes and things like that so to make sure we don't bother them."

Free range future

In the summer of 2018 —after another calving season —they'll be released into a 1,200-square-kilometre area on the eastern slopes of the park.

Parks Canada says they will then be able to interact with other native species, forage for food and integrate into the ecosystem.

The new herd could eventually roam free in the national park west of Calgary after the initial five-year pilot is over and results of the project are evaluated. Parks Canada is monitoring how the herd affects water quality and wildlife such as songbirds and other ungulates like elk.

Officials hope the herd will grow to roughly 80 bison by the end of the pilot project.

The historic homecoming is part of Canada's 150th anniversary celebrations with a goal of re-establishing Indigenous connections to the bison and park.

If the herd becomes too big, Parks Canada will work with local First Nations to cull the herd, Hunt said.

Last edited by CBintheNorth; 04-25-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:11 PM

In saying this, I'm not intending this to turn into an FNMI hate thread.

Listened to a parks manager on CBC this afternoon, he said that they already do this (i.e. an FNMI cull) for management of elk within the park

Further he indicated that if they cannot get FNMI hunters to cull; parks employees cull and allow the carcass to "return to the food web". Seems as though this has been their practice for some time from the interview.

In other words they just shoot them and leave them there rather than allow hunting from non-FNMI.

I have zero issues with FNMI hunters culling.

However I do have an issue with Parks Canada shooting and leaving the animals to rot or be eaten by wildlife rather than allowing a limited opportunity hunt for non-FNMI hunters.

Somehow their logic is that if FNMI hunters cull it is "natural" and if they just shoot and leave it is also "natural" but non-FNMI hunters is un-natural in some manner.

Good to know our governments have been looking out for our rights - I'll sit here and hold my breath while I wait for the CPC to address this issue.

We really need to develop a stronger hunting lobby to address our interests - we are one of the most unorganized recreational user groups.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:47 PM

Seems good to me. I like Bison. Would rather have more of them around then less. Especially in a national park, where there were none, and now there are some.

I had no hopes of ever hunting in there, but I'm happy that someone might get the chance. The more that hunting is seen as an important part of management the better.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:00 AM

"Somehow their logic is that if FNMI hunters cull it is "natural" and if they just shoot and leave it is also "natural" but non-FNMI hunters is un-natural in some manner."

Coming to an Alberta Provincial Park near you soon.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 04-26-2017, 06:41 AM

Yup. Government is so smart they even gave the Bison horn bumpers. Now they can't even protect themselves.

https://www.facebook.com/BanffNP/pho...666419/?type=3

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 04-26-2017, 06:49 AM

The same small heard is that going to make bad genetics? Or I imagine they will have to take and add to the heard.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer_Hunter View Post
In saying this, I'm not intending this to turn into an FNMI hate thread.

Listened to a parks manager on CBC this afternoon, he said that they already do this (i.e. an FNMI cull) for management of elk within the park

Further he indicated that if they cannot get FNMI hunters to cull; parks employees cull and allow the carcass to "return to the food web". Seems as though this has been their practice for some time from the interview.

In other words they just shoot them and leave them there rather than allow hunting from non-FNMI.

I have zero issues with FNMI hunters culling.

However I do have an issue with Parks Canada shooting and leaving the animals to rot or be eaten by wildlife rather than allowing a limited opportunity hunt for non-FNMI hunters.

Somehow their logic is that if FNMI hunters cull it is "natural" and if they just shoot and leave it is also "natural" but non-FNMI hunters is un-natural in some manner.

Good to know our governments have been looking out for our rights - I'll sit here and hold my breath while I wait for the CPC to address this issue.

We really need to develop a stronger hunting lobby to address our interests - we are one of the most unorganized recreational user groups.
No road access to that part of the park, so it seems unlikely. if they make it out of the Park, they're fair game, Province and Parks have very different attitudes, check out the situation of the three bear cubs, Parks wants to release them once they're old enough, Province said no way, we've got enough bears, don't need any more.

Grizz
Old 04-26-2017, 07:46 AM
Banned

Yeah let the FN cull them rather than use a tag/license system which would bring in thousands of dollars from people that are less likely to waste the meat....... Government logic!!
Old 04-26-2017, 07:55 AM

They fed them about $450,000 worth of hay to keep them alive through the winter.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 04-26-2017, 08:05 AM
Banned

I think it's a great idea to re-introduce Bison in Banff park. Hope they adjust well and flourish.
As for FN hunters being the only one to hunt them during a cull, what else would you expect from our Govt? You'd think they could sell a guided hunt for 100,000 and use funds to offset the cost of maintaining this program. Thats all well in the future anyways, and who knows who'll be in govt. then.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
They fed them about $450,000 worth of hay to keep them alive through the winter.
Holy smokes!
Old 04-26-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyOneStyle View Post
Holy smokes!
Most of that cost was for the helicopter they had to rent from Vancouver to fly the stuff into the back end of YaHa.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 04-26-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I think it's a great idea to re-introduce Bison in Banff park. Hope they adjust well and flourish.
As for FN hunters being the only one to hunt them during a cull, what else would you expect from our Govt? You'd think they could sell a guided hunt for 100,000 and use funds to offset the cost of maintaining this program. Thats all well in the future anyways, and who knows who'll be in govt. then.
I agree, it makes no sense, but it is part of our government's racist agenda.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:18 AM

The Federal Parks have some weird ways of managing wildlife in our National Parks. Here in Banff Park, my understanding is that they invite First Nations only to come into the National Park to shoot problem elk. When First Nations don't get the job done, the Park Wardens shoot the elk and deliver them to the Reservation. The Federal Parks belong to all Canadians but apparently not all Canadians should benefit from them equally?

The culling of elk on the Federal lands of the Canadian Forces Base Suffield has also failed to distribute the hunting opportunities in an equitable fashion.

A National Park in Newfoundland has been overrun with Moose for years and residents of Newfound are allowed to hunt moose in it. The Park belongs to all Canadians and all of us get to fund it but only Newfoundland residents are allowed to hunt in it!

There is quite a bit of room for more equitable management of these resources on Federal lands!
Old 04-26-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
That's OK, they have $6.4 million budget for five years... (maybe "OK" isn't the right phrase )

ARG

Quote:
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:25 PM
Banned

Probably spells the end of what's left of the Ya Ha Tinda elk herd.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Actually.???? I hope that was a joke.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Actually.???? I hope that was a joke.
It may have been an exaggeration but the heavy lift chopper cost at least $7000 per hour to rent and had nearly 10 hours of flight time just getting to Alberta and back to BC with a few days on site.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 04-26-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Which leads to the question, what happens when the hay stops ? They're going to be habituated to getting their meals on a platter.

Grizz
Old 04-26-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Gill View Post
Probably spells the end of what's left of the Ya Ha Tinda elk herd.
Don't think so, maybe wolves eating bison calves instead will have a distraction.

Grizz
Old 04-26-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
It may have been an exaggeration but the heavy lift chopper cost at least $7000 per hour to rent and had nearly 10 hours of flight time just getting to Alberta and back to BC with a few days on site.
Wow, what an amazing waist of money. Sure glad they are re-introducing buffalo in Banff. Not like the "Roamed the plains" naturally.

I for one can't wait for the day there is heards nubering in the thousands again. Should sufficiently destroy the agriculture industry.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
Wow, what an amazing waist of money. Sure glad they are re-introducing buffalo in Banff. Not like the "Roamed the plains" naturally.

I for one can't wait for the day there is heards nubering in the thousands again. Should sufficiently destroy the agriculture industry.
Lol I shake my head at these buffoons. What do we need to reintroduce bison for in the first place?
Old 04-26-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Lol I shake my head at these buffoons. What do we need to reintroduce bison for in the first place?
Clearly it is all a clever ploy from the lumber and steel industry. Imagine the fence repairs after a heard of 5000 Buffalo waltz through your fence? Sourcing new markets now that the US doesn't want our goods. Yep my tinfoil hat is picking up good waves today!
Old 04-26-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:

Yes. They used to roam the plains naturally. Then Europeans and the railroad showed up and they were decimated.

Time to pay it back and put them up somewhere safe and the least chance of bothering the agriculture industry. If it doesn't work then no worries. We waste 6.4 million in much worse ways than conservation efforts. Wish we spent more on it.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneckin View Post
Yes. They used to roam the plains naturally. Then Europeans and the railroad showed up and they were decimated.

Time to pay it back and put them up somewhere safe and the least chance of bothering the agriculture industry. If it doesn't work then no worries. We waste 6.4 million in much worse ways than conservation efforts. Wish we spent more on it.
I agree with the more spending on conservation efforts.

I do differ on the matter of "If it doesn't work then no worries. We waste 6.4 million in much worse ways". Just because we waist money elsewhere doesn't make it okay in this matter in my opinion.

Do we honestly "owe it to the Buffalo" to reintroduce them? That money could go to far better conservation efforts. Let the buffalo live in Wood Buffalo National Park. Don't spend enormous amounts of money trying to put them were they don't belong.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I agree with the more spending on conservation efforts.

I do differ on the matter of "If it doesn't work then no worries. We waste 6.4 million in much worse ways". Just because we waist money elsewhere doesn't make it okay in this matter in my opinion.

Do we honestly "owe it to the Buffalo" to reintroduce them? That money could go to far better conservation efforts. Let the buffalo live in Wood Buffalo National Park. Don't spend enormous amounts of money trying to put them were they don't belong.
Why don't we "owe it to the Buffalo?" Europeans killed the Plains Bison all off in ridiculous numbers dragging a population of 30 to 60 million all the way down to almost extinction. Buffalo live in Wood Buffalo. They are introducing Plains Bison into Banff so this is an opportunity to give another place for them to survive rather than a pen in Elk Island.

Don't worry about the money. Governments will always waste money. It's what they do.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Why don't we "owe it to the Buffalo?" Europeans killed the Plains Bison all off in ridiculous numbers dragging a population of 30 to 60 million all the way down to almost extinction. Buffalo live in Wood Buffalo. They are introducing Plains Bison into Banff so this is an opportunity to give another place for them to survive rather than a pen in Elk Island.

Don't worry about the money. Governments will always waste money. It's what they do.
Nobody will benefit by reintroducing bison to an area they do not already live. There is a reason they do not live where they do not live.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Nobody will benefit by reintroducing bison to an area they do not already live. There is a reason they do not live where they do not live.
I'm thinking the Heli-Hay-Haulers are benefiting quite handsomely.

There must be an important reason for their place at the head of the table feeding on the gravy train that feeds the critters.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:56 PM

Quote:
You're right. We should put them back where they thrive like the Plains but strangely enough an introduced species is taking up a ton of that real estate.

A few of the last wild bison herds live in Pink Mountain and Wood Buffalo. Both quite hard places to survive but they seem to do ok. I'm sure Banff will be a great spot just like Yellowstone has been.

Maybe it will put a bit of pressure on the feral wild horses but I doubt it but worth a try and with a natural species too.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Simple I don't anthropomorphize animals.

Quote:
I guess ignorance is bliss in this case indeed.