Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-15-2017, 11:34 PM

Dave you're clueless and blinded by what you preceive as the truth.

“The whole problem with any issue is that fools and fanatics are always certain of their position,

The ATA was blind sided by a person we trusted in the office. From what I gather she had a gambling problem and used our funds to support it. Money was moved around to hide the trail etc. If you remember the ATA was without a building for sometime and with them starting to look deeper they discovered things weren't being managed the way they thought. An audit was completed and it was estimated that ~200k was missing. A file was started with the RCMP and with all fraud charges it was an up hill battle. A civil claim was even raised but the defendant claimed bankruptcy..... well you can guess it she got off scott free. While that is in the past. Believe it our not, it is what it is.

The ATA today, new directors, stronger vision and focused not to relive the mistakes of the past. They cut the number of the accounts back and there is more eyes watching the accounts with key people having internet access to see accounts at anytime. They have updated and implemented new protocols to manage their funds.

When I started trapping on a new line I was told the ATA was a waste of time and corrupt. Well, I did a little digging and decided to make my own opinion and glad I didn't let the opinion of one person sway me. I called up Gordy to see what the ATA was about. He filled me in and I decided to support the ATA. I went to many AGMs, started a local, attend rendezvous even hosted a rendezvous and attended many other ATA events to show my support for the ATA and meet like minded people. Our local sponsors youth that take the course but they have to do something for it in return. That way they have more skin in the game.

On the mandatory course. In my option it's in the trapping communities best interest to have it as it enables us to prove to the government that we are professionals or at least trained in the most up to date methods. With snaring being the number one complaint the government receives. If the new trappers all get the same message and work within the AIHTS agreement and snaring best practices taught in the courses/workshops we will be in a better place then we are today with trained trappers, but this does come at a cost and someone has to pay and with any course it's the learner. The person that wants to learn the new skill. I chanllaged the exam and got one wrong but had to guess on a couple of questions since the exam had been photocopied so many times I couldn't even make out the picture of the mink. I then took the course and learnt much more then I did just taking the challenge exam. I know Dave has issues and thinks someone should pay for this other then the student. But the truth is it takes money to put on the courses, build the trapper ed program and maintain the equipment i.e. trucks.

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest" Benjamin Franklin

Gordy has done more for trapping in Canada then anyone. If you don't think so please name one or two people. He has pulled the ATA out of sure ruins and been there on his own dime and time to protect us. I thank him for that! His education facility was put together to train people and not to line his pockets. His personal cash donations to the ATA has been incredible not to mention the countless hours he spends on trapping issues. He's not on the board anymore but is a volunteer on the PIST team and the Alberta Outdoors Coalition.

The trapper legal fund will be a trust account and a list of whoever donates will be kept. I guess there is more to come on that. If you attend a local meeting you can be updated in person. If you don't care to donate or make it to a meeting that's up to you.

Sourdough, the past is the past and we were stung,but the ATA has learnt a hard lesson which they never want to learn again. Please let it go and look to the future.

Doug and Brian thanks for your commitment to the ATA and I'm glad we can see a future with the ATA.

Dave I'm sure you'll have something to say......
Old 04-16-2017, 12:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
Dave what would you know about facts? Here one for you though. At one time this trapping forum was vibrant and helpful to trappers. Then a few trolls followed by blow hard know it alls showed up and this is what's left. Some good guys on here but watch they'll move on too as long as no one calls on the BS. I'm not going anywhere...I'll outlast you guaranteed.
I told you that the facts are a bugger. You can't counter them so you'd better do your best to change the topic.

Who is calling who on their BS.....me or you? If you have "alternative" facts to mine let's see them. When I confronted GK with the facts he stated that they never even discussed the transfer of Trapline policy in that meeting. HELLO, it states right in the article that you did, with specifics!

BTW, I had another read of that newsletter and this legal fund was in fact mentioned in there. It was announced by Gordy Klassen, NOT from the President of the ATA or anyone else on the Executive. Since GK is not on the ATA Executive, it's what, another GK scheme? Oh yeah, he's going to save RFMA lease holders from the very thing that he lobbied so hard for.

Stay or go, I don't think that anyone cares either way. Some of us on this forum will do our best to promote Trapping, attract people to take up trapping and mentoring those that do. That's not going to stop......even If people call me names.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcrazy View Post
Dave you're clueless and blinded by what you preceive as the truth.

“The whole problem with any issue is that fools and fanatics are always certain of their position.
I think that the same applies to you. The difference between me and you is that I rely on the facts while you rely on what people tell you. What is it, Stockholm Syndrome or what?

I'd like to focus on one issue at a time. Why is it important to you that the Alberta Basic Trapping course needs to be by far the highest of all the provinces and territories in Canada? It's pretty obvious why it's important to some people but I want to know why it's important to you.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:18 AM

It's a waste of time going back and forth with you on this forum but I'll entertain you a little more. Just so don't think or say I'm running away when I stop commenting on here.

I invite you to get out from behind the computer and really get involved like I have. When you say you have the facts where did you get them? By talking to people involved or reading them? Sometimes when people read they don't get the whole story or fully comprehend what is written. Some people start to think they know everything about a subject but most times it's a ill informed option. Some start to think everything is a conspiracy..... I'm sure there is a test online somewhere for that.

The ATA is mandated to teach the standard trapping course by the GoA. They could do it by only having a course available in one or two locations a few times a year in which the person would have to travel to or they can be a travelling education provider which can and does cover the entire province. Go to the ATA website there are courses everywhere from Fort Chip to Black Diamond. They provide manuals, instructors, presenting equipment and nice animals for skinning. There is office staff to coordinate the courses, track students, answer questions and to send out certificates to the successful students. There is expenses such as fuel, rooms, food, insurance and the list goes on. That is why the cost is what it is. Not because it's a money grab but because Alberta has one of the best courses out there and will travel to any group of people wanting to take the course.

Now to answer your question I think the price is far because of all the things I listed above! ☝️☝️☝️ End of story
Old 04-16-2017, 12:20 PM

Default The legal fund.

I can see how this will benefit trappers with a RFMA, but how does it benefit any Resident trapper? I have taken the trapper course, and definitely thought that it was a great learning tool. Although expensive, I learnt a lot. If its monies that they are looking for, why don't they increase the membership fees for any holder of a RFMA? I know we all should stand as one, but as a resident trapper we loose out on a lot fur bearers that a RFMA can trap and to donate monies to a legal fund to protect their assets is kind of a hard pill to swallow.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:31 PM
Banned

I think that you've drank too much koolaid and you're just repeating the rhetoric that you've been served. The ATA charges a whopping $399 IN ADDITION to the MOU money that it receives for education from the GOA! I haven't figured out what the actual amount works out to per student but the profit is well over just what the $399 generates. That MOU money should be used to offset the cost of the course for new trappers making it more affordable. There is absolutely no excuse for being so greedy and shutting low income individuals out of trapping.

Here, IMO, are some of the best mandatory Trapping courses in Canada. Do you think that they have administrative costs just like us? If you bother to look at what these guys are doing, and you truly care about trapping in Alberta, you may come to the realization of just how poorly we are doing.

ON – Mandatory – 40 Hours - Approx $250 (Price Varies and may be negotiated with the Instructor)

https://www.ontario.ca/page/trapping-ontario

http://www.terranovafirm.com/trapping-licence.php

*(Very Interesting Ontario Trapping Course Video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz1DsuEbWxI

QC – Mandatory (With Options) – 2 Days - $183

Option #1 – Given by experienced Trapper

Option #2 - Learning at your own pace with the manual and training video

YT – Mandatory – 4.5 Days - $315 - Includes Manual

http://www.env.gov.yk.ca/hunting-fis...reducation.php

In Ontario you can take the 40 hour course right on a trapline, not in a classroom, at a cost of $250 or less. In Quebec it costs $183 for the course and you have the option of learning right at home via instructors on video. Even the 4.5 day course in YT that goes WAY more in depth than ours only costs $315. That course sounds amazing! These are facts, not tin foil hat stuff. How anyone that truly cares about trapping in Alberta can defend the cost of the Basic Trapping course here is beyond me.

If you think that I'm just one person concerned about what's happening you are sadly mistaken. Maybe I should say that if what's happening now continues, trapping in Alberta will cease to exist......That seems to work with fellas like you. I don't believe that to be true but I can honestly imagine the GOA stepping in at some point and putting an end to the ATA treating the Basic Trapping course as a cash cow.

The ATA was given the opportunity to provide the basic trapping course in Alberta but abuse of that privilege by inflating the costs to conduct it could lead to it being taken away IMO. Now there's something to fear. I'd rather the ATA fixed it on their own but with GK firmly in control of the ATA I am not very optimistic.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:14 PM

Wow, you just keep yodelling and yodelling about the same thing.

What is the cost of a course in BC or SK? How often are the other provinces holding courses and are they offered throughout the province?

I thought I explained the costs associated with the courses in Alberta. Maybe you can lobby the GoA to fully fund the courses. If a person truly wants to trap they will find away to pay for a course, a vehicle too do it, equipment to do the job start to finish. Will you raise funds to provide assistance to those that would like to take the course? Collect bottles, do a fund raising event or modonate some of your years fur? Do anything besides sitting there saying how life is unfair? You can't please everyone.

As much as you'd like GK to be pulling the strings he's not. But what he has done is gotten off his ***** and keyboard to work towards what he feels is right.

Thanks for your passion about trapping!
Old 04-16-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6tmile View Post
I can see how this will benefit trappers with a RFMA, but how does it benefit any Resident trapper? I have taken the trapper course, and definitely thought that it was a great learning tool. Although expensive, I learnt a lot. If its monies that they are looking for, why don't they increase the membership fees for any holder of a RFMA? I know we all should stand as one, but as a resident trapper we loose out on a lot fur bearers that a RFMA can trap and to donate monies to a legal fund to protect their assets is kind of a hard pill to swallow.
From my understanding the fund wouldn't only be used to protect RFMA holders but for anything threatening trapping as a whole. I hope that the quota animals are looked at while the GoA is looking at the wildlife act. It is one of the challenges. Would target the extra 4 species if you were allowed and which ones do you think you would get in your area? Have you had to surrender any in the past?
Old 04-16-2017, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Wow, you just keep yodelling and yodelling about the same thing.

What is the cost of a course in BC or SK? How often are the other provinces holding courses and are they offered throughout the province?

I thought I explained the costs associated with the courses in Alberta. Maybe you can lobby the GoA to fully fund the courses. If a person truly wants to trap they will find away to pay for a course, a vehicle too do it, equipment to do the job start to finish. Will you raise funds to provide assistance to those that would like to take the course? Collect bottles, do a fund raising event or modonate some of your years fur? Do anything besides sitting there saying how life is unfair? You can't please everyone.

As much as you'd like GK to be pulling the strings he's not. But what he has done is gotten off his ***** and keyboard to work towards what he feels is right.

Thanks for your passion about trapping!
I figure that you are a Trapping course instructor. It's been my experience that the people most adamant about not lowering the cost of the course are the ones directly profiting from it. I brought this issue up on the ATA Facebook site two years ago and I was immediately attacked by GK and several instructors. Why was that, I wonder.

Maybe this is why. This week I called the ATA to get a price to tan a beaver pelt and after getting the info the person on the other end of the phone asked me if there was anything else that they could help me with (I'm very impressed with this individual's professionalism btw). Then I remembered the ad that I saw in the ATA trapping magazine looking for people to become instructors, so I asked about it. I was told that instructors get paid $1300 per Basic Trapping course.....WHAT?!!!! Please someone tell me that I heard wrong!

I already posted the info about every province and territory's trapping courses. Obviously you haven't bothered to take the time to read it. So what are you basing your opinion on when you state that Alberta has one of the best courses available......the rhetoric that you've been told over and over? For goodness sakes, do your homework and stop letting people do the thinking for you!

BC – Mandatory - 3 Day Course - $390 for adults (18 years and older), and $290 for youths (12-17 years) – Includes Manual and one year membership in BCTA.

http://www.bctrappers.bc.ca/education.html

SK – Not Mandatory – 1 Day - $30 (Pilot 2 Day Course - $195)

http://saskatchewantrappers.com/educ...ation-courses/

"If a person truly wants to trap they will find away to pay for a course,...." I honestly believe that statement makes sense to you. How does a person who doesn't know anything about trapping know that he wants it bad enough to pay $400 plus expenses to take the course? Guys like you who can afford to take the course several times just don't seem to understand that the high cost of the course is a hurdle for some people.

No, I would not collect cans to pay to send someone who can't afford to pay for the course.......I would pay for it right out of my pocket!

True story.......Last year I was trapping beaver and rats in a slough beside a road around here when one of the locals stopped for a chat and see what I was doing. He was very excited about trapping and was interested in getting his boy involved in it. Easy to do, I said. All that he has to do is take the 3 day Basic Trapping course at the ATA building in Westlock about a 15 minute drive up the road. He was pretty excited about it until I told him that it costs $399. I could see the enthusiasm drain from his face so I asked him, "What if I could get him on the course for free?" (I would have paid for it myself without him knowing about it). He was too proud to accept charity I guess so that was the end of that.....a potential new, young trapper lost.

Yes, I am very passionate about trapping. Another thing that I am very passionate about is fighting for people who can't fight for themselves. It is in my DNA and I made a career out of it. I come from a world where integrity, honour and all of that good stuff are not merely just words.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:52 PM

Lol, nobody does my thinking for me. You still haven't answered my questions from previous posts. You pick and choose what you think are facts. We talked on the phone a couple of years ago and you still haven't done what you said you would. So I'm done with you and going around and around this with you. You have a choice if you want to help trappers and you're still be a man of words and no action.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:19 PM

For what it's worth, one of my sons just completed the course held in Wildwood.
Although he knew a lot from me when he was young, he really enjoyed it and the new friends he made along with the atmosphere.
Plus this industry is always changing and he taught me a thing or two. Which didn't take much, haha.

He just came back from serving 8 yrs in the Military and this was a welcome change back to the basics and a normal life. He was to hell and back a couple times.
I gladly paid the course fee for him not that he couldn't, but honestly I was so damn proud he wanted it, but also so dang grateful he is back with us and he could.
Now I know this is a dramatic case maybe, but Im forever grateful for the opportunities we have and the men and women involved in the trapping and hunting industries.
I for one don't mind paying a little money to keep it going as in the end it's priceless.
Thanks to all involved.
Happy Easter.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:22 PM

Thanks for sharing 🙂 Glad you and your son can spend some time trapping and making memories. Thank him for serving for me.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrapper View Post
He just came back from serving 8 yrs in the Military and this was a welcome change back to the basics and a normal life. He was to hell and back a couple times.
Please thank your Son for his service. Many Veterans take up trapping after serving as a way to escape their demons. I also served so I can relate and we have a small network of Veterans who support each other. Several frequent my skinning shack on a regular basis. Please let him know that if he wants to drop by my skinning shack and talk trapping, or anything else that's on his mind, that he is more than welcome. Transitioning from the Military/war is not an easy task and it helps to have contact with people who have gone through it. I guarantee that he will learn something about putting up fur that he won't find in the manual or learn in a classroom. PM incoming!

An invitation to my skinning shack is open to anyone that wants to drop by.

You and he are fortunate that you had the disposable income available to take the course. Not everyone is so lucky. That is the whole point.....People are being shut out of trapping due to the high cost of the course. What about them? There is no reason for it.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Lol, nobody does my thinking for me. You still haven't answered my questions from previous posts. You pick and choose what you think are facts. We talked on the phone a couple of years ago and you still haven't done what you said you would. So I'm done with you and going around and around this with you. You have a choice if you want to help trappers and you're still be a man of words and no action.
Well, I guess that I hit the nail right on the head, eh? You are a Trapping Instructor and you have a vested interest in protecting your $1300, three day gig. You criticize people's commitment to trapping in Alberta all the while you are just another pig at the money trough! Yeah, I know who you are now, Jason. You didn't give me the impression that you were in it for yourself but I guess that I was wrong.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:21 PM
AO Sponsor

Wow!!! Again... another ____________ ________ freakshow thread!!!

Awesome! Love it.

Please fill in th blanks.

(hint... blanks are not vulgarities)
Old 04-17-2017, 01:32 PM

AC Virus ?
Old 04-17-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
From my understanding the fund wouldn't only be used to protect RFMA holders but for anything threatening trapping as a whole. I hope that the quota animals are looked at while the GoA is looking at the wildlife act. It is one of the challenges. Would target the extra 4 species if you were allowed and which ones do you think you would get in your area? Have you had to surrender any in the past?
I would target them if allowed. Only species I haven't seen in or around the private land I trap is wolverine.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6tmile View Post
I would target them if allowed. Only species I haven't seen in or around the private land I trap is wolverine.
I have picked up fisher and Lynx while resident trapping and was lucky that our local F&W office let me keep the first incidental animals. I know in some areas there are more resident trappers picking up fishers etc. Hopefully in the future things will change regarding the quota species.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:25 PM
Banned

Default $1300.00 bucks a weekend??

Holy cow, I think I have found a retirement dream job! Where do you sign up??

Anyone ever hear of the VOLUNTEER concept. It seems to work for AHEIA.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13mileranch View Post

I do lots of volunteer work 😀 and it feels good. Actually volunteering at a AHEIA camp this summer.

No shame in what I do with my life.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
I do lots of volunteer work 😀 and it feels good. Actually volunteering at a AHEIA camp this summer.

No shame in what I do with my life.
Yeah, there's no hypocrisy at all with coming on here trying to shame people into giving up their hard earned money to help YOU while you are making $1300 per 3 day trapping course. Are you morally bankrupt or what?
Old 04-17-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Holy cow, I think I have found a retirement dream job! Where do you sign up??

$55 bucks an hour, if the course is 3 eight hour days.

Pretty good cash actually if you can do a few courses a month, for a retired guy or to augment other income.

But you have to factor in prep and travel time too, as well as your equipment.

As for GK lining his pockets with this mandatory course I just don't see it. If it was all about money he'd be solely focused on all that dirt equipment the family owns.
I've done the retail thing as an owner and there's no money in it, I appreciate he has the store there as it's nice and close with lots of selection, but it's no cash cow.
From the outside looking in from a business standpoint anyway, I'd say with 100% certainty that everything he does with trapping is because he loves it and the people associated with it.
There are simply, far more lucrative ways to make money !!!
Old 04-17-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Yeah, there's no hypocrisy at all with coming on here trying to shame people into giving up their hard earned money to help YOU while you are making $1300 per 3 day trapping course. Are you morally bankrupt or what?
I do get paid to do a job and in a field I enjoy. Something that is open to those that wish to do it. (Some qualifications required) I'm proud that trapping will be paying for my daughters post secondary education. I never asked for anyone's money just answered questions the best I could.

I must be empty inside especially when I donate my time and money to educate the public about trapping or give my best to paying students.

You my friend are dicked in the head and don't comprehend what you read.

Self check - yep still no shame
Old 04-17-2017, 10:51 PM
Banned

Just from your posts defending Alberta having the highest costing basic trapping course in all of Canada, I knew damned well that you personally profited from it.....and I nailed it!

Well, I'm glad that you came clean that you are doing it for the money and not for what's best for trapping in Alberta. For $1300 you'd shut people out of trapping in Alberta......that's your price. Now stop being a hypocrite and running around telling people that if they cared about trapping in Alberta...... Greed at the expense of others absolutely disgusts me.

Now, tell me again how you are so hard done by and why I should give you my hard earned money.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
$55 bucks an hour, if the course is 3 eight hour days.

Pretty good cash actually if you can do a few courses a month, for a retired guy or to augment other income.

But you have to factor in prep and travel time too, as well as your equipment.

There are simply, far more lucrative ways to make money !!!

Absolutely there is. We've built and sold four very successful E&P Companies.

Thinking about it more, I think I would just do the instructing for nothing.
The personal satisfaction would be enough reward. I'm going to look into getting the required training.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:27 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
$1300

13 coyotes... 2-4 hours work for some, not including the setting.

But there's cheaper ways to do it.

Summertime course. Sleep in a tent like a real trapper. Cook your own food like a real trapper. Ya might hafta squat on th ground like a real trapper too!

Back to $450

4.5 coyotes... lets say a good hours work. For the uninitiated, it'll be more yes, but they will get it done quick enough.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:28 AM
AO Sponsor

Hmmmm... smell like a trapper too then!

Good thing it's not me putting on the course, I couldn't take that part! All these stinking, sweaty, filthy new trappers.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:32 PM

I haven't checked AO in a few days....................I see I haven't missed much. If the province or the feds did want to get rid of trapping all they'd have to do is sit back and watch trappers self destruct. There is nothing to be gained from being critical of one another .
Old 04-18-2017, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugh View Post
I haven't checked AO in a few days....................I see I haven't missed much. If the province or the feds did want to get rid of trapping all they'd have to do is sit back and watch trappers self destruct. There is nothing to be gained from being critical of one another .
So, you are fine with Alberta having the highest costing course in all of Canada and why it is? Everything is fine, right?

Maybe the GOA are the best ones to conduct this course in order to ensure that it is being provided at no profit.

Last edited by HunterDave; 04-18-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
$1300

13 coyotes... 2-4 hours work for some, not including the setting.

But there's cheaper ways to do it.

Summertime course. Sleep in a tent like a real trapper. Cook your own food like a real trapper. Ya might hafta squat on th ground like a real trapper too!

Back to $450

4.5 coyotes... lets say a good hours work. For the uninitiated, it'll be more yes, but they will get it done quick enough.
The ATA is not supposed to be a for profit business, it's supposed to be a non profit ADVOCACY. Your ideas (ie tent) would have been valid back when the course was made mandatory without the proper resources in place. Now, there are instructors scattered around the province. Besides, I don't think that the per diem/hotels are included in that $1300 instructor's pay, that would be separate, additional costs. Now that, for the most part, the hotels are eliminated, so do the expenses to conduct the course. Does turning a larger profit for the ATA trump using that money to lower the cost of the course?

How much do you want to bet that Wolfcrazy will instruct this course right in his backyard and not be living in a tent and cooking his own meals?

Peace River
October 7-9, 2017
Call 780-349-6626 for more information or to register.

Quote:
Thinking about it more, I think I would just do the instructing for nothing.
The personal satisfaction would be enough reward. I'm going to look into getting the required training.
As would I, but not if the cost of the course remained at $399. I'm willing to bet that there are good people in every Local in Alberta who'd be willing to give up one weekend per year to conduct a course for free. Knocking off $1300 from a course of 10 students would put the cost of the course at $269 per student. Take the per diem/hotel out of it and the cost would even be lower. Then you apply the free MOU money that is provided by the GOA for training to the cost of the course and it drops a whole lot more after that. IMO, a $250 Basic Trapping course is possible and still turn a bit of a profit for the ATA.

The problem is with people on the Executive also being instructors, how many would be willing to give up their $1300 three day gig and support something like that? I know of two Directors who would not.