Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2017, 07:37 AM

Overall I agree with wearing a helmet on an OHV. It only costs a few bucks for a decent one and if could prevent you from becoming the next gary busey, haha.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:50 AM
Banned

I wear a helmet on my motorcycle, but seldom on the quad, as I NEVER go fast anymore.....would kinda like it to be my choice on whether or not I wear one.

..........thousands injured every year!! I'd have to see the stats to believe that one.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
I say if you choose to not wear a helmet and if your hurt then you waive your right to free health care. So you or your family pays for your stay in the hospital. Why should my tax dollars go to treating injuries that were caused by someone else poor decisions?
Then the same should apply for smokers or drunk people. These people make the choice to live those lifestyles, just as much as someone not wearing a helmet does, and our health care pays a lot more out because of smokers and drunks than it does to people injured on atvs.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpgriz View Post
Another strike against personal freedom.
Even if not wearing a helmet is stupid, i want the freedom to make that stupid choice or not.
If you read the law, some people still have that options. Apparently the laws of physics don't apply to them either.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 04-13-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:57 AM

if it is the new law then no one should be exempt .
Old 04-13-2017, 08:02 AM
Banned

Isn't it funny the way we think certain rules and laws shouldn't apply in some areas?
And when something is introduced it's seen as a knock against our personal freedoms.

But all worksites require a hard hat
Most contact sports require a helmet
Most professional riders wear a helmet

Just about anywheres there is a risk of a head injury some sort of head protection is worn,
And in most cases it is worn by people who are "professionals "

So then why do the amateur , layman, weekend warrior, types feel that they are above those who wear a helmet or other head protection doing just about anything else where it is obviously a good idea.
The it can never happen to me, hold my beer and watch this crowd.
Why are you special?

I'm pretty sure the amount of trades people that are on this forum,
that require a hard hat at work,
Would basically lose their minds if someone was wandering around without one.

So why should riding a heavy, motorized, machine, capable of going across vast types of terrain ,
Be any different?

Do the rules and laws of physics, gravity, Murphy, etc, not apply when you sit ontop one of these machines?

Or does common sense take a back seat just because the government tells you?
You'll show them,

You'll also show your loved ones when your brain matter gets exposed.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
One interesting ( and useless) note is that the bill excludes anybody working under the OHS regulations - strange thing is I have never seen any employees of any kind wearing anything but a helmet when operating or riding in an ATV be they surveyors , powerlinemen , maintainence workers, etc
Cat
Are they wearing actual helmets approved for motorcycle/snowmobile/ATV use, or are they wearing hard hats.?At work we rode bicycles for years before someone decided that we needed to wear chin straps on our hard hats when riding bicycles on site, but the hard hats that we wore were only designed to provide protection from falling objects, they aren't designed to provide protection in case of a bicycle accident. As well the chin straps have tiny little hooks to hold them on, designed to keep the hard hats from blowing off, or falling off when you bend over or bump them on something, they would be useless if you fell off of a bicycle .This was just another case of doing something to make it look like they were making us safer.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:08 AM

The fine for wearing a helmet that is not CSA-compliant is $93.

Would a Hockey Helmet be CSA compliant? That is what I plan to wear the one time a year I go out west.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:16 AM

Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Then the same should apply for smokers or drunk people. These people make the choice to live those lifestyles, just as much as someone not wearing a helmet does, and our health care pays a lot more out because of smokers and drunks than it does to people injured on atvs.
Sooo why do you think cigarettes and alcohol are taxed so heavily? You still can go with out a helmet it just costs you money. I've seen the effects on family and friends that have been affected by someone with brain injuries caused by quading without a helmet. Have you ever seen a grown man break down crying while giving you updates on your friend and coworkers coma and saying he may never wake up and the family pleads for support.
I have.
By the way he was too cool to wear a helmet too.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etowncanuck View Post
isn't it funny the way we think certain rules and laws shouldn't apply in some areas?
And when something is introduced it's seen as a knock against our personal freedoms.

But all worksites require a hard hat
most contact sports require a helmet
most professional riders wear a helmet

just about anywheres there is a risk of a head injury some sort of head protection is worn,
and in most cases it is worn by people who are "professionals "

so then why do the amateur , layman, weekend warrior, types feel that they are above those who wear a helmet or other head protection doing just about anything else where it is obviously a good idea.
The it can never happen to me, hold my beer and watch this crowd.
Why are you special?

I'm pretty sure the amount of trades people that are on this forum,
that require a hard hat at work,
would basically lose their minds if someone was wandering around without one.

So why should riding a heavy, motorized, machine, capable of going across vast types of terrain ,
be any different?

Do the rules and laws of physics, gravity, murphy, etc, not apply when you sit ontop one of these machines?

Or does common sense take a back seat just because the government tells you?
You'll show them,

you'll also show your loved ones when your brain matter gets exposed.
bang on....you know i gotta admitt it, i wore one sometimes on my quad and sometimes i didnt, however one day while i had it on, i flipped my quad right on top of me, if i didnt have my helmet on id have been a stars ride as it damn near split my helmet in half, wasent drunk just went for a little ride with my oldest son on his quad, he climed a hill made it i didnt..helmet difinitly saved my ass that day, now i always wear it..
Old 04-13-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
Sooo why do you think cigarettes and alcohol are taxed so heavily? You still can go with out a helmet it just costs you money. I've seen the effects on family and friends that have been affected by someone with brain injuries caused by quading without a helmet. Have you ever seen a grown man break down crying while giving you updates on your friend and coworkers coma and saying he may never wake up and the family pleads for support.
I have.
By the way he was too cool to wear a helmet too.
The taxes are just another way for the government to take more money from us, just like a fuel tax, or a sales tax.. The taxes don't even come close to paying the health care costs resulting from smoking, and it is the number one cause of preventable deaths in Canada. As for wearing a helmet, I always wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle, or when riding snowmobiles or atvs, except when I am crawling along at slow speeds hunting. And as has been posted, if the health care is really such a concern, then there should no be any exceptions.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
Ndp nanny state and it looks like there is going to be no end to the tax hikes and new regulations.I can't hardly wait for the next election to see the ndp party brought to there knees.
First off I'm no ndp'er but helmets save lives. My 63 year old buddy (very experienced skier) got clipped by a novice (she was with a group that was with an instructor) and he slid head first 300 metres down hill on his back. Just saying, helmets have their place and he was glad he had one on just like he does when riding his motorcycle, mountain bike or playing hockey.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:33 AM

Default Oh gotcha.

Quote:
The taxes are just another way for the government to take more money from us, just like a fuel tax, or a sales tax.. The taxes don't even come close to paying the health care costs resulting from smoking, and it is the number one cause of preventable deaths in Canada. As for wearing a helmet, I always wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle, or when riding snowmobiles or atvs, except when I am crawling along at slow speeds hunting. And as has been posted, if the health care is really such a concern, then there should no be any exceptions.
The taxes on smoking has caused a lot of people to quit including me so I would say it has some affect.
I didn't know that the law was passed to prevent extra health care costs. I thought it was as to improve public safety.
I'll have to read the bill better.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fur View Post
Nah, these AO members are invincible! It will never happen to them
Darn helmets squish all the gel out of my hair and don't look Cool.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
The taxes on smoking has caused a lot of people to quit including me so I would say it has some affect.
I didn't know that the law was passed to prevent extra health care costs. I thought it was as to improve public safety.
I'll have to read the bill better.

If it was really about improving public safety, they would not have included those exemptions. It's not like people of certain races or religions are less likely to be injured, so the regulation should apply o everyone.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I always wear a helmet when I'm drinking.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
I always wear a helmet when I'm drinking.
Finally someone is thinking about their safety!
Old 04-13-2017, 09:27 AM

As much as I detest how this occurred....

I think there is a significant cost to the taxpayer through our healthcare system when a brain injury occurs. This is a small imposition on freedom for a big safety factor increase.

Children follow their parents lead....if you don't wear a helmet, its a bit hypocritical to try to enforce the wearing of one on your children. And they will try to emulate you......so when you're not looking, they will not wear one if they can get away with it (some, not all). Sporadic use by yourself will not create safe habits in you or your children. Nor can you preach to young adults if you come across them riding without a helmet and driving on the edge.....which a lot do.

There is no doubt that most ATV users cannot predict the future and all possible situations and their implications. Nor can they predict the actions of those around them. It only takes one freak situation to make that helmet life/injury saving.

Tiny imposition...........major societal benefit.

And if you really want to take the risk, I am all about freedom and accepting personal responsibility.............GO get insurance to cover your medical costs....but make sure you tell them your not going to wear a helmet. Then you can decide if the massive insurance premiums are worth it. You still have your freedoms and society does not have to pay for any of your stupidity or carelessness or aversion to safety gear.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I think there is a significant cost to the taxpayer through our healthcare system when a brain injury occurs. This is a small imposition on freedom for a big safety factor increase.
So does it cost us any less when one of the exempted people suffers a brain injury? Why don't those exempted people have to accept that same small imposition on their freedom? Either regulate everyone, or don't regulate anyone.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:35 AM

The exemptions for religious purposes is stupid.
If you don't want to take off your turban and wear a helmet...then don't drive a ATV or Motorcycle. The same as if your religion doesn't allow pork....then don't go to a bacon festival.

But that brings up an interesting concept.......are Sikhs free to not wear a motorcycle helmut??

And then there is the Political Correct crap of not enforcing this on Metis or Native lands.......
Old 04-13-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
So does it cost us any less when one of the exempted people suffers a brain injury? Why don't those exempted people have to accept that same small imposition on their freedom? Either regulate everyone, or don't regulate anyone.
100% agree.
No logic other than pandering to the political correct crap that is filled in the left's brain.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:55 AM

Junk law that takes away personal freedom. Anytime the state imposes a new law we as citizens should be vigilant in evaluating the cost to our personal freedom.

Educate don't legislate

Old 04-13-2017, 09:57 AM

A lot of talk of Turbans and 1st Nations, but what are your thoughts on the biggest user group affected here,farmers? I agree if it's for safety concerns then everyone should be enforced.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:03 AM

Law should be for all or no one
Old 04-13-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
Law should be for all or no one
No different than carbon tax. Apparently only some of us produce carbon when we burn dinosaur poop
Old 04-13-2017, 10:31 AM
Banned

It really surprises me this day in age. When so many parents keep their kids in a bubble, are they not putting brain buckets on their children?

Even more surprising, when on a lake, not uncommon to see someone with a boat full of kids and not one life jacket worn. Even my dog has a life jacket.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
I wear a helmet on my motorcycle, but seldom on the quad, as I NEVER go fast anymore.....would kinda like it to be my choice on whether or not I wear one.

..........thousands injured every year!! I'd have to see the stats to believe that one.
From the U of A School of Public Health

http://injurypreventioncentre.ca/issues/ohv

http://injurypreventioncentre.ca/doc...20Injuries.pdf
Old 04-13-2017, 10:48 AM

In Saskatchewan we have had the law for several years the only tickets I've heard issued were for people driving along highways at higher speeds, most of the villages allow ATV's as long as a helmet is worn. In the forest most people wear them when touring around as for hunting they don't seem to enforce it as much. It does give the LEO's a good reason to pull you over for an alcohol/drug check anytime they feel like it just check your helmet for the DOT sticker.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:49 AM

Default Agreed.

Quote:
If it was really about improving public safety, they would not have included those exemptions. It's not like people of certain races or religions are less likely to be injured, so the regulation should apply o everyone.
There should be no exemptions you are 100% correct there.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:53 AM

What's next? An English riding helmet with my pack string in sheep/elk country?

I like the Sikh option better, I think.