Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2017, 07:28 PM

There is no law preventing people from wearing a helmet. You guys know you're allowed to wear a helmet without a regulation right?

I think anyone that drives anything less than a 5 star crash rated vehicle is irresponsible and should pay their own medical and property damages when they get into their accidents.

I knew a guy that slipped on some ice and broke his head open. Now he's a vegetable. Nobody should walk around once we have icy conditions. If you do I want you responsible for your own bills.

I think anyone who hikes should be held responsible for their own medical bills if attacked by a bear.

I think anyone that plays tennis should be responsible for their own bills if they pull or tear an ACL.

Boy doesn't that sound ridiculous yet vaguely familiar?
Old 04-13-2017, 07:38 PM

To me , this law is a perfect example of the contempt that the NDP has for Farmers, Natives and religious minorities.
By not including them in this law it says loud and clear that these people's health and safety is of little or no importance to this government and they are essentially second class citizens in the eyes of the NDP.
Nice one Rachel!
Old 04-13-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
The exemptions are obviously geared to situations where a ticket could likely be contested due to things like racial discrimination, in the case of Sihks and FN. Farmers and FN somehow are allowed to be exempt from many laws and rules of safety the rest of us need to follow. It's not that no one cares about their safety, it's just not cost effective for law enforcement to pursue. No potential revenue, no ticket.
Maybe instead of calling it a helmet law, it should be called "Helmet Tax"....Ooops.... I mean "Helmet Levy".
On crown land, where does it say farmers and FN are exempt?

On reserve lands or private land they are just like you would be probably.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:12 PM

The last 3 years I've worn one quading in the spring and summer. Helps keep the twigs and bugs out of the face. Come hunting season I won't be wearing one as it hits the rifle stock when bringing it up the shoulder. Mind you, when hunting I never travel over 15 km/hr going down a line traveling to camp or from camp. Average is probably only 8 to 10 km/hr.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Are they wearing actual helmets approved for motorcycle/snowmobile/ATV use, or are they wearing hard hats.?At work we rode bicycles for years before someone decided that we needed to wear chin straps on our hard hats when riding bicycles on site, but the hard hats that we wore were only designed to provide protection from falling objects, they aren't designed to provide protection in case of a bicycle accident. As well the chin straps have tiny little hooks to hold them on, designed to keep the hard hats from blowing off, or falling off when you bend over or bump them on something, they would be useless if you fell off of a bicycle .This was just another case of doing something to make it look like they were making us safer.
All the ones I saw were wearing real helmets not hard hats
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 04-13-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
I got "NO" problem with that, as long as you pay your Medical bill. But when my taxes have to pay your bill. Bring on the helmets.
How far are you willing to take that attitude?
Old 04-13-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fur View Post
Just curious what are the thoughts about seat belts?

Do you guys wear them? If yes what is the difference?

Just want clarification.
The difference is on the road I am worried about you running into me.
I have never had a near miss with another ATV while hunting.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Are they wearing actual helmets approved for motorcycle/snowmobile/ATV use, or are they wearing hard hats.?At work we rode bicycles for years before someone decided that we needed to wear chin straps on our hard hats when riding bicycles on site, but the hard hats that we wore were only designed to provide protection from falling objects, they aren't designed to provide protection in case of a bicycle accident. As well the chin straps have tiny little hooks to hold them on, designed to keep the hard hats from blowing off, or falling off when you bend over or bump them on something, they would be useless if you fell off of a bicycle .This was just another case of doing something to make it look like they were making us safer.
Soooo. Do I need a $500 helmert or a $50 helmet? Anyone know?
Old 04-13-2017, 10:41 PM

None of this will matter if the NDP is in power for much longer because there wont be any ATV's/ OHV's allowed on crown land.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:01 AM

Good to see. Hooefully our hospitals and doctors have to deal with less people due to not wearing helmets.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
No sir not under the influence, seasoned rider just didn't know the trail and missed a deceptive blind corner. Quad crushed him.
So driving to fast on a trail he didnt know. Yes it could happen to anyone, but for a guy whos putting down a cut line or checking cattle in grazing areas I really dont think the risks are as inherent as guys doing 30 or 40km/h down trails. Thats why having the choice is nice.

And for what its worth I always wore a helmet on my dirt bike and snowboarding. What guys are saying is I should be wearing one on my lawn tractor now because it probably travels as fast as I do on a quad hunting.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger72 View Post
I have always worn a helmet for any sport or any motorized OHV use.... never really thought I needed it but better to be safe then sorry. Went snowboarding in Switzerland with a group of friends only half of us wore a helmet until I was racing my buddy down the hill at the end of the day and crashed!!!.... I was an inch of plastic and foam away from being dead.That evening the rest of the group bought helmets ...I've now been nursing for 18 years and trust me I've wiped many bums of people who thought they didn't need a helmet.... Just wear the dam thing it's better than the alternative trust me
You do know you can get up around 100km/h on your snowboard right? Anyone who doesnt wear a helmet snowboarding or skiing who are racing or hitting jumps I think are fools because its so easy to catch an edge and be knocked out or worse if theres a hidden rock or tree. In saying that people should have the right to make their own decisions. If your a skier just doing green or blue runs at a slow pace you probably have a better chance of being injured by someone else then suffering a major head injury.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
So driving to fast on a trail he didnt know. Yes it could happen to anyone, but for a guy whos putting down a cut line or checking cattle in grazing areas I really dont think the risks are as inherent as guys doing 30 or 40km/h down trails. Thats why having the choice is nice.

And for what its worth I always wore a helmet on my dirt bike and snowboarding. What guys are saying is I should be wearing one on my lawn tractor now because it probably travels as fast as I do on a quad hunting.
Senior citizens on electric scooters are probably as likely to fall over as a hunter crawling along on an ATV, and they are crossing our busy streets. I wonder if they will be next?
Old 04-14-2017, 08:42 AM

Default Helmets

All right...if I have to wear a helmet, what is a good brand, reasonable price, features, etc. I wear glasses, so don't want it to be too tight around the ears. Buy used?
Old 04-14-2017, 08:45 AM

Default I'm just not seeing the big rukkus on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post

Yes I know that different uses have different levels of risk and putting along would be reliably safe. However As a ex farm boy myself that rode trikes all my life, don't think a helmet would hinder checking cattle. And I don't shoot from an ATV so I would not have my helmet on while shooting. I do not see a helmet as a freedom binding device.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
Yes I know that different uses have different levels of risk and putting along would be reliably safe. However As a ex farm boy myself that rode trikes all my life, don't think a helmet would hinder checking cattle. And I don't shoot from an ATV so I would not have my helmet on while shooting. I do not see a helmet as a freedom binding device.
The fact that its a minor hindrance isn't my objection. It's that the government is taking away choice and playing the public saying it saves lives. If they truly cared or wanted to save lives a online licensing course similar to the Boating Course or Hunter Education IMO would be far better. A course that taught the basics of quad handling, what to bring, basic survival skills, trail handling, etc... People think a helmet is some magic device that prevents deaths. It's not, I know people who have died wearing a helmet on their motorcycles and skiing. It just gives some people a better sense of security, and in turn you find those same people taking risks they normally wouldn't take.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realist View Post
All right...if I have to wear a helmet, what is a good brand, reasonable price, features, etc. I wear glasses, so don't want it to be too tight around the ears. Buy used?
The better quality helmets are Snell approved. There are DOT helmets being sold that are not of much use unless you land on top of your head. Buying a used helmet is a bad idea; because you don't know if it has been exposed to impacts that could have weakened it .
Old 04-14-2017, 12:59 PM

Helmet saved my life. Foot peg actually impaled the helmet and opened up like a cheese grader. We were helmets in my house.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Helmet saved my life. Foot peg actually impaled the helmet and opened up like a cheese grader. We were helmets in my house.
I wear a helmet on my quad but haven't felt the need to wear one in my house to each his own though.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:27 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
To me , this law is a perfect example of the contempt that the NDP has for Farmers, Natives and religious minorities.
By not including them in this law it says loud and clear that these people's health and safety is of little or no importance to this government and they are essentially second class citizens in the eyes of the NDP.
Nice one Rachel!
And there it is folks!!!! Bigots!

BTW who else missed the memo that said vote NDP we'll bring in a carbon tax and helmet law!

I think helmets should be mandatory for burglars I heard that some neighbourhood watch types are packing aluminum bats and are nor afraid to use them.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-14-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realist View Post
I wear a 1/2 cap DOT rated fiberglass with a dropdown visor that goes over my glasses it was around $80 you can get carbon fiber higher rated for about twice that.

I don't drive at fast speeds, jump sharks or do anything really dangerous if you're are the type that could bounce off your quad head first into a tree you might want to look at something more heavy duty.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:19 PM

Funny how some of these comments make you think that people would unbuckle themselves when driving through a school zone.... Maybe we can think of it as I culling the heard.... SMH .... its a law and may not apply to all for some funny reason.... bring a towel if it's that important... I'm pretty sure there are stupider laws out there !!
Old 04-14-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger72 View Post
Funny how some of these comments make you think that people would unbuckle themselves when driving through a school zone.... Maybe we can think of it as I culling the heard.... SMH .... its a law and may not apply to all for some funny reason.... bring a towel if it's that important... I'm pretty sure there are stupider laws out there !!
Why did we have to buckle up in the first place? This is exactly opposite of culling the herd. This is messing with natural selection and has been going on for years. If you aren't smart enough to decide when you need a helmet, you would've been selected out of the gene pool. Unable to pass on your defective genes. Now the NDP has saved you allowing a once strong gene pool to dilute further.

If we got rid of all the intervention the strong and smart would survive to reproduce not those that have been protected into reproduction. A few more generations with this level of meddling will cause dolphins to be the most intelligent organism on Earth.

In the example above, I don't literally mean you by the way. More of a generalized statement.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I wear a helmet on my quad but haven't felt the need to wear one in my house to each his own though.
I see what you did there hahaha! Cute
Old 04-14-2017, 11:12 PM
Banned

Don't argue with a fool. He will bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience.

Those who believe the helmet law is a good idea are foolish.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Don't argue with a fool. He will bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience.

Those who believe the helmet law is a good idea are foolish.

Says the guy who thinks his opinion is right... Even if it may not be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2017, 08:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
Says the guy who thinks his opinion is right... Even if it may not be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My opinion being right is based on your perspective.

You want a nanny state? I would be wrong.

You want to make your own decisions? I am right.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:25 AM

I don't like the new law much either, mostly as it comes from the NDP. Just being biased I guess really, but...

To be fair we can thank a lot of the idiots that have injured themselves over the last few years. There have been quite a few. For example over a May long weekend in the West Country, there will be dozens of careless accidents. I've seen and investigated dozens myself so know first hand. Including a few fatalities.

I'm not speaking of the few legitimate injuries and accidents that happen. I putter for the most part and crap can still happen. Just not as bad hopefully.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning21 View Post
None of this will matter if the NDP is in power for much longer because there wont be any ATV's/ OHV's allowed on crown land.
I am almost to the point of being on board with this. Had trikes and quads growing up and for most of my life. Last 10 years have been hiking for my fish and game. I have changed my ways of thinking and Im not impressed with the footprints I see in the bush that these high powered machines leave. At 45 years young guess I'm getting to be an old fuddyduddy but when I'm up in areas like the Cardinal Divide and such and a family of side by sides with their noisy performance pipes go ripping by and run down in the river for kicks, I can do without it. Sure not every ATV owner treats the land with the same disrespect. I get that. But with that said I'm good with everyone walking just like me.

Last edited by 1899b; 04-15-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:56 AM

I think that everybody here that think certain laws are stupid or should not apply to them should make a list and send that list to put Provincial and Federal Governments - I'm sure they will get right on it for those people .
Cat