Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2017, 09:04 AM

I have more of an issue with certain people being exempted than I do with the intent of the legislation. Having different laws for different people based on race or religion is always going to be divisive to our society. We need to make people equal, rather than turning them against each other by treating them differently.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:10 AM

I'll be forever damned..... I'm in agreement with eh11
Old 04-15-2017, 09:32 AM

Here is how I interpret it.

On crown land, everyone has to wear a helmet other than Sikh's and that is understandable.

On private land, no requirement to wear a helmet as far as I can tell.

Only time a farmer or rancher would not have to wear a helmet on crown land would be on their grazing lease/license/permit if he/she was actively doing farm/ranch related work. If hunting, they would have to wear a helmet.

First Nations/Metis have to wear a helmet on public land.

Unfortunately, some people could not make the right choice and hence we, like most jurisdictions in Canada, now have an off highway vehicle helmet law.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I think that everybody here that think certain laws are stupid or should not apply to them should make a list and send that list to put Provincial and Federal Governments - I'm sure they will get right on it for those people .
Cat
Haha. I think that will work. Haha
Old 04-15-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
I'll be forever damned..... I'm in agreement with eh11
I just had the exact same thought
Old 04-15-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
The fact that its a minor hindrance isn't my objection. It's that the government is taking away choice and playing the public saying it saves lives. If they truly cared or wanted to save lives a online licensing course similar to the Boating Course or Hunter Education IMO would be far better. A course that taught the basics of quad handling, what to bring, basic survival skills, trail handling, etc... People think a helmet is some magic device that prevents deaths. It's not, I know people who have died wearing a helmet on their motorcycles and skiing. It just gives some people a better sense of security, and in turn you find those same people taking risks they normally wouldn't take.
Maybe. But it's also device that saves lives. Not magically buy scientificly and statisticly. I don't see what the problem is. Yes we get it. Here at AO none of us would ever do anything wrong and would always choose to wear a helmet at the right time. Other people weren't however and so it gets regulated. Just like hardhats at work.

If you leave the choice to people who think they know best sooner or later somebody gets their head caved in.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:38 AM

On the radio today, a brain injury group said that the number one cause of brain injuries they treat are from car accidents, and they are requesting everyone to slow down. So if most brain injuries are from automobiles why are we not all smart enough to wear helmets each time we drive? Maybe we should legislate mandatory helmet use for all motorized vehicles at all times. Then the government can hire me to see if tractors and combines should be included as I honestly think a proper answer can be arrived at for under 2 million. If it can save one injury it must be worth it right? They passed a law for atv which isn't even the number one cause. How dumb is that? Personally I don't think they should of passed a law for helmets, as 98 percent of my riding I would never need one. When I am riding where I might need one then usually I have it on.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Maybe. But it's also device that saves lives. Not magically buy scientificly and statisticly. I don't see what the problem is. Yes we get it. Here at AO none of us would ever do anything wrong and would always choose to wear a helmet at the right time. Other people weren't however and so it gets regulated. Just like hardhats at work.

If you leave the choice to people who think they know best sooner or later somebody gets their head caved in.
We'll see its a bandaid, should have focused more on prevention and education. Id prefer that we actually reduce the incident numbers, instead of just saying well they're wearing helmets, now they're safe. Giving guys who have never drove a quad or dirt bike the keys to an 800cc quad and having them head out with other guys who have never rode is an accident waiting to happen. Watch the numbers, I bet incidents go up because of this. Government is there to protect you from others, not yourself.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
On the radio today, a brain injury group said that the number one cause of brain injuries they treat are from car accidents, and they are requesting everyone to slow down. So if most brain injuries are from automobiles why are we not all smart enough to wear helmets each time we drive? Maybe we should legislate mandatory helmet use for all motorized vehicles at all times. Then the government can hire me to see if tractors and combines should be included as I honestly think a proper answer can be arrived at for under 2 million. If it can save one injury it must be worth it right? They passed a law for atv which isn't even the number one cause. How dumb is that? Personally I don't think they should of passed a law for helmets, as 98 percent of my riding I would never need one. When I am riding where I might need one then usually I have it on.
The obvious solution, would be to mandate integral roll cages into all vehicles allowed on our highways. And of course for the ultimate safety, we would also require proper harnesses instead of the seat belts now being used. There is absolutely no doubt that these measures would save lived.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The obvious solution, would be to mandate integral roll cages into all vehicles allowed on our highways. And of course for the ultimate safety, we would also require proper harnesses instead of the seat belts now being used. There is absolutely no doubt that these measures would save lived.
Yep, and lets lower speed limits, 50km/h on the QE2 should keep everyone safe, 20km/h through town. Also breathalyzers in every car before we can start them. Doesn't matter if you drink or not the breathalyzer is installed just in case.

Edit: As a plus by lowering the speed limit it would reduce carbon emissions as guys could now get around quicker on a bike then in their cars. Saving the world and lives one policy at a time!
Old 04-15-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
We'll see its a bandaid, should have focused more on prevention and education. Id prefer that we actually reduce the incident numbers, instead of just saying well they're wearing helmets, now they're safe. Giving guys who have never drove a quad or dirt bike the keys to an 800cc quad and having them head out with other guys who have never rode is an accident waiting to happen. Watch the numbers, I bet incidents go up because of this. Government is there to protect you from others, not yourself.
I totally agree with focusing on education and prevention. Should be an ATV license just like with boating. I don't expect the incident numbers to go up. Why would they?
Old 04-15-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Yep, and lets lower speed limits, 50km/h on the QE2 should keep everyone safe, 20km/h through town. Also breathalyzers in every car before we can start them. Doesn't matter if you drink or not the breathalyzer is installed just in case.

Edit: As a plus by lowering the speed limit it would reduce carbon emissions as guys could now get around quicker on a bike then in their cars. Saving the world and lives one policy at a time!
Or folow existing limits. What's the average speed on the QE2 or highway 16? I'd bet no where close to the limit. Follow the limit and as days like yesterday showed drive to conditions reduce the severity of accidents.

Lots of people who wanted to make their own rules and thought they could handle it were in the ditch yesterday.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Here is how I interpret it.

On crown land, everyone has to wear a helmet other than Sikh's and that is understandable.

Why on earth is this understandable? This statement about sums up what is happening to our country. Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying

I see this as another law that will have those that are unable to make their own decisions or take care of themselves without the governments help rejoicing!

The argument of health cares costs holds no merit until they ban pop and chocolate bars.....or add a sin tax to that as well
Old 04-15-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I totally agree with focusing on education and prevention. Should be an ATV license just like with boating. I don't expect the incident numbers to go up. Why would they?
Do you honestly believe that the bothers card that people received as a result of spending ten minutes at a sportsman show is reducing accidents?
Old 04-15-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
People who were tentative, become more confident and take more risks they're not ready for because they think the helmet will save them.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Or folow existing limits. What's the average speed on the QE2 or highway 16? I'd bet no where close to the limit. Follow the limit and as days like yesterday showed drive to conditions reduce the severity of accidents.

Lots of people who wanted to make their own rules and thought they could handle it were in the ditch yesterday.
Yea, but I want no incidents. If it saves just one life, then my way is the best way.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Do you honestly believe that the bothers card that people received as a result of spending ten minutes at a sportsman show is reducing accidents?
Did you take the course? A lot of good survival info in there which I think could save lives. A lot of its common sense, but you know what they say about that these days. You know whats weird you don't have to wear a life jacket in a boat, but need a helmet on a quad. I'd venture to say that you have a significantly higher risk of falling out of a boat then getting a head injury on a quad.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Actually yes. But only because I met a guy this last summer who was letting his 12 year old son take their seadoo out on a busy lake unsupervised before he got his boat license. He didn't realize he needed to be 16 with a license to ride it.

But to answer with what I really believe. You should have to take a course and show proficiency before you get a license with boats and atvs. Education is a poor replacement for experience but kids can jump into a machine with 1000ccs and go with neither.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Why on earth is this understandable? This statement about sums up what is happening to our country. Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying

I see this as another law that will have those that are unable to make their own decisions or take care of themselves without the governments help rejoicing!

The argument of health cares costs holds no merit until they ban pop and chocolate bars.....or add a sin tax to that as well
Hey give it a break, just look at this dude I'm pretty sure his head is much better protected than with a helmet!!

Old 04-15-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Never mind QE2 or other major highways. How many idiots can't even obey the speed limits in urban areas where kids are possibly playing! And yet pinheads wonder the need for laws?

A little more enforcement wouldn't hurt either....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Did you take the course? A lot of good survival info in there which I think could save lives. A lot of its common sense, but you know what they say about that these days. You know whats weird you don't have to wear a life jacket in a boat, but need a helmet on a quad. I'd venture to say that you have a significantly higher risk of falling out of a boat then getting a head injury on a quad.
I wrote the test at a sportsman show. It took about ten minutes of my time. Many other people took about the same amount of time, and pretty much everyone took the test to get the card, not to actually learn anything about boating safety.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I wrote the test at a sportsman show. It took about ten minutes of my time. Many other people took about the same amount of time, and pretty much everyone took the test to get the card, not to actually learn anything about boating safety.
Well the online course that gives you a minimum amount of time you can do the course in was good. If you just walk in and write the test, maybe you already know enough about boat safety to be able to boat. I'm guessing half these guys that get quads with no experience have no clue what to do when they see a fallen tree across a trail, how a quad will react on a hill, what to bring with them, and how to survive if they break a leg and need temporary shelter.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Well the online course that gives you a minimum amount of time you can do the course in was good. If you just walk in and write the test, maybe you already know enough about boat safety to be able to boat. I'm guessing half these guys that get quads with no experience have no clue what to do when they see a fallen tree across a trail, how a quad will react on a hill, what to bring with them, and how to survive if they break a leg and need temporary shelter.
The deal at the sportsmans show was that you only paid after you passed your test. Perhaps it was just a coincidence, but everyone seemed to be passing, even if they had to step outside, look up the answers that they didn't know, and then rewrite until they passed.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
The deal at the sportsmans show was that you only paid after you passed your test. Perhaps it was just a coincidence, but everyone seemed to be passing, even if they had to step outside, look up the answers that they didn't know, and then rewrite until they passed.
That's pretty much the same deal as when I got mine. How long ago did you get yours? The online one I set my Dad up with was way more in depth. Granted it was years later. I
Old 04-15-2017, 03:00 PM

This thread is like watching an infant at the kitchen table bawling it's face off because it doesn't want the eat the vegetables. Just hilarious

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 04-15-2017, 04:01 PM

So I have some degeneration in the discs in my neck. I bought the lightest helmet I could find at a quad store. it still gives me a headache. The chiropractor would not come out and say I shouldn't wear a helmet but the suggestion was there. He did suggest that people that wear heavy motorcycle helmets sometimes end up with neck problems from the weight of the helmet. I have been using the lightest downhill ski helmet I could find and that seems to work. I wonder if I will get a ticket for using a ski helmet?
Old 04-15-2017, 04:07 PM

I allways wear mine but what about loading and unloading from trucks and trailers? I can see abuse of the ticket book there. And what about guys that putt along at walking speed (some do) why should they have to wear one? I would like to see how many of the claimed injuries were on a reserve where they are obviously safe from any/all injurys and not needing helmets, miraculously
Old 04-15-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike View Post
This thread is like watching an infant at the kitchen table bawling it's face off because it doesn't want the eat the vegetables. Just hilarious
I concur reminds me of the Castle threads
Old 04-15-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike View Post
LOL Agree.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
I concur reminds me of the Castle threads
It must be an easy life, to just go with the flow and watch freedom disappear.