Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-07-2008, 09:04 AM

Default Looking for a goose hunting shotgun....

And am currently thinking about the Benelli Nova. I am sure I want a pump and right now have an OLD Remington 870.

Would the Nova fit the bill ?? Comments.... and thanks.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:22 AM

The Benelli Nova is an excellent goose hunting shotgun. It has a stepped high rib so keep in mind point of impact is going to differ drastically from what you are used to with the 870.

Novas are well made, reliable pump guns, and for the price you really can't go wrong. The do kick like mules with lead shoes so possibly look into the model with he kick-******ing gizmos.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:48 AM

i agree the benneli is a superior goose gun.

If you want to go a bit cheaper have a look at the mossberg 835. it shoots all 12g. ammo right up to the 3 1/2 'thumpers'. only bad thing is you cant fire slugs out of it becouse it has an over bored barel (10 g. proportions) the barrel is ported and so are the extended chokes. took mine out this past weekend to pattern it and to be totally honest all of the ammo i tried pattered pretty similarily (13 brands and lengths 2.75 too 3.5). i think this is due to the barrls larger bore. i absolutly love mine. cycles smooth, no jams- could use a better recoil pad, but those a guy could get anytime.

hope this helps, cheers.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:19 AM

Default Duknut

It's funny that this thread came up. I just got home minutes ago from looking at the nova and supernova. My question for ducknut is what do you mean by a stepped rib and how will it differ in point of inpact from another shotgun. I was also wondering if anyone has any experience with the supernova. It has the recoil reducing chevrons and I was wondering if they actually work.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator View Post
My question for ducknut is what do you mean by a stepped rib and how will it differ in point of inpact from another shotgun.
Benelli puts a high rib on their guns because it 'looks cool' and looking cool is the main selling feature of anything with the Benelli logo on it.

This style of rib takes practice to learn how to shoot, and is drastically different than what you are used to in your old 870.

It does serve a purpose though, as is straightens your view of the target, reduces perceived recoil (and flinching) by forcing you to alter the way you hold the gun, and reduces lead on certain shots. I don't like them on a hunting gun, especially a waterfowl gun, but that's just my opinion. It doesn't suit me, and I doubt it suits 95% of everybody who buys a SBE or Nova.

That said, don't let it discourage you too much, just keep this in mind while you practice. If, on your first hunting trip, you miss as many shots you hit, DON'T blame your shotgun shells, then race to the nearest shop to buy faster 3.5" shells with larger shot. Missing and bad shooting is rarely caused by inadequate firepower.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:27 PM

Thanks, duknut....then I'm sure it'll be a real eyeopener for me....my 870 is a smooth barrel !!
Old 07-07-2008, 03:56 PM

Default Goose gun?

What makes a gun a particularly good goose gun? I mean, as long as it's a 12 ga. withat least 3 inch chambers what's the diff? I asked for opinions on the Nova before and what came back made it sound like it wasn't that hot. More geese probably taken with an 870 than any gun in history (and I'm a Beretta guy).
Old 07-07-2008, 04:10 PM

I just bought a new 870 last year and i love it, great knockdown power with the 3.5"s and pretty cheap, i bought a synthetic camo version with the R3 pad, very nice gun.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
What makes a gun a particularly good goose gun? I mean, as long as it's a 12 ga. withat least 3 inch chambers what's the diff?
If that's your only criteria, I'd suggest looking at the Marlin Goose Gun (model 55). Shouldn't be too hard to find one in the $100-$200 range, and they have killed more geese than you could shake the proverbial stick at.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:23 PM

Had a guy from another forum tell me his SuperNova was very loose, to the point of sloppy, in the pump action. Any others had this problem ??

And I'm not adverse to going the Remington route, just had heard that the quality wasn' there anymore ??
Old 07-08-2008, 10:50 PM

Try a Ithaca Model 37 they are a nice lightweight,fast pointing shotgun,if the birds are coming in over decoys properly a 3.5 isnt necesary 2.75 in shells work just fine. Also because it handles so nice it can also be used as a fine upland bird gun. I have used the 37 plus a Remington 870 for over 30 years and have no complaints about either

Good luck in your hunting