Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2012, 08:45 PM

Default Tree Grafting?

Does anyone have any info on how to do it? Or know somebody who does in the Calgary area?

My folks have a very productive apple tree in their yard but one of the more productive branches hangs over the fence into the neighbour's yard. It would be a shame to cut it off so I was wondering how hard it would be to cut it, then graft it back onto the main trunk at a better angle?

Can this be done? Is it a waste of time? These apples are huge and so good for pies etc...hence why I was wondering.

Thanks...

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 08-07-2012, 09:26 PM

My Grandpa does it all the time. He showed me when I was young, I don't really remember exactly how, but it's really kool. He had one tree with 2 different types of pears growing.

Last edited by pottymouth; 08-07-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
My Grandpa does it all the time. He showed me when I was young, I don't really remember exactly how, but it's really kool. He had one tree with 2 different types of pairs growing.

If only he had a grandson with at least a single set........

Jack. Don't waste your time grafting in Calgary. It's not impossible as I have seen it done. TWICE since 1995 and those attempts were 'iffy' at best.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
If only he had a grandson with at least a single set........

Jack. Don't waste your time grafting in Calgary. It's not impossible as I have seen it done. TWICE since 1995 and those attempts were 'iffy' at best.
lol. fixed it !

Wait until we meet up again !

You like apples.....?
Old 08-07-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:

You like apples.....?
Not as much as cheesy Matt Damon lines. Why?
Old 08-07-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Not as much as cheesy Matt Damon lines. Why?
Who's matt damon?

wait.....you'll see... LOL
Old 08-07-2012, 09:58 PM

Potty...

I noticed today at the garden section of our local Cdn Tire that they are selling apple trees that actually have 5 different types of apple branches grafted on to the main trunk. Cool idea...and it also contributed to the need for this question.

But thanks to TG, I think I will leave it to the experts.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 08-07-2012, 09:58 PM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

I graft apples all the time. My success rate is approx 60% to 65% which I am told is not bad for an amateur grafter. However, I graft donor wood which is only one year old (scion) to mature wood. To take a large, fully grown branch and attempt to graft it to either the same tree or another tree would indeed be a work of art or a simple miracle imho.

The other downside to grafting is that, even though the graft "takes" this year and you get growth, a certain small percentage die over winter for reasons I do not know.

I would suggest pruning some small limbs on the branch to encourage new growth then use that new growth to graft onto either a second tree or a new tree.

Also if it is hanging over a fence watch that rubbing on the fence is not damaging the bark on the branch. That could open a potential route for infectious disease such as fire blight by keeping a continuous open wound. In that case you are better off trimming the branch off properly and let the wound heal rather than risk losing the entire tree.

Ah yes...and the time for grafting is well past us. It needs to be done in the spring just before new growth begins.

Just some thoughts.
Regards,
Dave
Old 08-07-2012, 10:03 PM

On an entirely unrelated note:

I just noticed how I have just passed the 600 post mark and it got me thinking about all the info I have gleaned from other people, the other forum members I have met, things I have bought and sold, and useless advice I have given or just random thoughts I have thrown out there. And I realized I have done all of that with 600 posts. Yipee.

Then I looked at Tree's post count and damn near choked on my mojito.

How the fark do you post almost 9000 times?????

hahahaha

btw...thanks for the pm Tree. Enjoy the trip!

Old 08-07-2012, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the info, WW...

I do have some interest in the subject, but I think it is the almost 'Frankenstein-ish' nature of being able to graft different branches that appeals to me.

I would love to give it a try and if you are as successful as you are, good on ya.

That five- species apple tree really caught my eye. It might get planted in my yard yet, but there is a cherry tree I have my eye on first.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post
That five- species apple tree really caught my eye. It might get planted in my yard yet, but there is a cherry tree I have my eye on first.

Kindda like entering an arranged marriage where the salesman is telling you she's hot, a lion in the sack, can cook, blah, blah blah. Ain't gonna happen.

As for the 600 posts......rookie.

Some of us have been contributing way less for way longer. Look at Sheephunter. He's been saying nothing for years now.

Ignore Dave though. Dude's orchard is just a front for his 12% success rate cow moose guiding operation and bitchin' grow op..

Oh and Potty, I call BS on you not knowing who Matt Damon is. Mamba is still pizzed you replaced his head shot with a full body poster of Bourne.....
Old 08-07-2012, 10:25 PM

I have any number of multi-apple variety trees in my yard. Just know that you must graft within the same species ie. apple to apple not cherry to apple.

If you are truly interested then check out Lee Valley Tools. They have seminars in Edmonton almost every year so I am sure the Calgary branch would have them as well. If it matters to you all of the money Lee Valley Tools gets from ALL of their seminars is donated to charity.

The window is rapidly closing on planting trees with success this season. I have planted late and been lucky but I have also planted late and lost trees. If you do decide to try this year make darn sure you water them in very well, NO fertilizer this year and try to drown the tree just before freeze up. It would also be good if you can wrap the tree to keep the winter sun off of it. Burlap works best but there are retail alternatives.

A useless bit of information for you; virtually ALL of the apple trees in Canada are grafted trees. Producers take a winter hardy root stock and graft a chosen apple variety on top.
Regards,
Dave.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:27 PM

Trust Tree to get me started on MOOSE again. Just when I had finally started to forget. Now I'll have to get drunk to sleep tonight.
Regards,
Dave.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Kindda like entering an arranged marriage where the salesman is telling you she's hot, a lion in the sack, can cook, blah, blah blah. Ain't gonna happen.

As for the 600 posts......rookie.

Some of us have been contributing way less for way longer. Look at Sheephunter. He's been saying nothing for years now.

Ignore Dave though. Dude's orchard is just a front for his 12% success rate cow moose guiding operation and bitchin' grow op..

Oh and Potty, I call BS on you not knowing who Matt Damon is. Mamba is still pizzed you replaced his head shot with a full body poster of Bourne.....
Gotcha !Now the only question is why are you sneaking into my room to know that?
Old 08-07-2012, 10:34 PM

[QUOTE=TreeGuy;1552336]If only he had a grandson with at least a single set........

Jack. Don't waste your time grafting in Calgary. It's not impossible as I have seen it done. TWICE since 1975 and those attempts were 'iffy' at best.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of grafting!

is it true in high school, your nickname was BUD?....I mean before the graft!
Old 08-07-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Wish View Post
Trust Tree to get me started on MOOSE again. Just when I had finally started to forget. Now I'll have to get drunk to sleep tonight.
Regards,
Dave.

Me?

Old 08-07-2012, 10:46 PM

If only they would STAY in the damn bush!! The part that pickles my herring is that the damn things want to live in MY YARD!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004small.jpg (48.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 08-07-2012, 10:49 PM

Where do you get grafting root stock? I tried it with poplar once, yup, an extraordinary failure. I'd like to try again.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 08-07-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
If only they would STAY in the damn bush!! The part that pickles my herring is that the damn things want to live in MY YARD!
That's NOTHING, Dave. You should see the grief you get by importing a bunch of dumb Greeks as slave labour. They don't ever stop talking...EVER!

Old 08-07-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Where do you get grafting root stock? I tried it with poplar once, yup, an extraordinary failure. I'd like to try again.
Grafting root stock can be purchased from most large garden centers or from Alberta Nuseries at Bowden. They ship by mail and you may look and buy on line if you choose.

If you are serious you can find some good info on line at various web sites. There are a couple of decent grafting videos on YouTube. Finding donor wood or scion wood is the challenge. For some odd reason people tend to take a dim view of an old cowboy with a bandana over his face and un-tied sneakers on his feet prowling around their yards in the middle of the night brandishing a set of #8 Felco's and cursing out loud when he barks his shin against an unseen bird feeder then shushing himself and muttering "Now which one was the apple again?"

Learning to graft is somewhat similar to shooting shotguns. The more pellets you have going out the better your success rate. By all means practice on poplar. Just remember to graft poplar to poplar. You have to stay within the same species. Do LOTS of grafts and slowly but surely you get the hang of it. It is certainly not rocket science but it does take a certain knack which comes with practice.
Regards,
Dave.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
That's NOTHING, Dave. You should see the grief you get by importing a bunch of dumb Greeks as slave labour. They don't ever stop talking...EVER!

"dumb Greeks as slave labour"

Now there's five words that haven't been in a line since Alexander crossed the Himilayas....lol

I suspect you made a rookie mistake and recruited the incorrect gender.........

QUICK DAVE...RUN FOR THE WOODS!
Old 08-07-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:

I suspect you made a rookie mistake and recruited the incorrect gender.........

I've always suspected that Potty was a chick..........
Old 08-08-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:

Grafting root stock can be purchased from most large garden centers or from Alberta Nuseries at Bowden. They ship by mail and you may look and buy on line if you choose.

If you are serious you can find some good info on line at various web sites. There are a couple of decent grafting videos on YouTube. Finding donor wood or scion wood is the challenge. For some odd reason people tend to take a dim view of an old cowboy with a bandana over his face and un-tied sneakers on his feet prowling around their yards in the middle of the night brandishing a set of #8 Felco's and cursing out loud when he barks his shin against an unseen bird feeder then shushing himself and muttering "Now which one was the apple again?"

Learning to graft is somewhat similar to shooting shotguns. The more pellets you have going out the better your success rate. By all means practice on poplar. Just remember to graft poplar to poplar. You have to stay within the same species. Do LOTS of grafts and slowly but surely you get the hang of it. It is certainly not rocket science but it does take a certain knack which comes with practice.
Regards,
Dave.
Thanks Dave. Appreciate the help. I have some trees growing from seed, yes I know they won't be true to the original apple. Just another winter project with the kids. I really would like to learn how to graft, not sure why, just one of my weird bucketlist curiosities.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 08-08-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
I've always suspected that Potty was a chick..........
Don't twist things up in your wierd little mind! Trying to justify all those love poems filling up my pm box, doesn't make your dreams true!

Like I said, just wait for it !

p.s Alexander claimed more of the world than anyone! One you should all be thankful for all the Greeks have given you ! Two I'm sure my Super great uncles and grandpa's played , just the tip just for a second , with your great aunts and grandmothers .Heck some of you might be more Greek than you know!
Old 08-08-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Don't twist things up in your wierd little mind! Trying to justify all those love poems filling up my pm box, doesn't make your dreams true!

Can I borrow your spotting scope?
Old 08-08-2012, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Can I borrow your spotting scope?
:

Ya, when your cousins are done with it,ask them to give it to you !
Old 08-08-2012, 07:20 PM

I'm new to the forum but I know a ton about grafting and fruit trees. I even have a 300 tree hobby orchard south of Stony Plain with apples, pears, and cherries. Almost all of the 300 trees have been grafted over the years onto rootstock. Basically for apples you plant crabapple hardy small trees, and when they get to 2 ft. tall in the field, you graft them in May.

You need to collect the wood you are grafting in late March, early April, and keep it in the fridge with a damp (not wet) paper napkin in a sealed plastic bag. When you graft the scion (the stick you are grafting about as thick as a pencil) thinks its March, but the rootstock knows its May. I probably get around 80% "takes" on average. So you only graft from late April to perhaps the first few days in June, and then only with thin pieces of dormant scion wood you have cut and stored. Another type of single bud grafting is done this time of year called "budding", but the bud doesn't grow until next spring.

Each mid Sept. there is a "fruit growers show" at the U of Alberta Devonian Gardens west of Edmonton. Local growers show well over 100 different varieties of apples, pears, cherries, grapes, etc. that you are free to taste. Also in April there is a scionwood exchange there for folks looking for many different varieties of hardy apples and pears. Good luck, its actually quite easy to graft once you get the hang of it.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
wouldn't it make for easy huntin?
I mean no need for long trips into the bush to find a moose if they come to you.