Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2012, 10:21 PM

Default Cabela's: The world's worst outfitter

I decided to start shopping for my hunt this year.

In particular, I was looking for:
-great set of warm boots
-warm socks
-warm under layers
-strong pack with external frame and rifle scabbard.

Being in Edmonton, I decided to try 'The World's Foremost Outfitter'.

What. A. Joke.

Sock selection was fine. Very few under layers available. Boots not too bad.

Packs? What packs? I couldn't find a single pack with an external frame. They only had a few dozen to choose from - NOT A SINGLE ONE in camo. All brightly and solidly coloured.

I asked an 'outfitter' and he said they 'don't make anything like that anymore'.

I was shocked. I guess they used too much floor space on fudge and nuts and souvenirs to worry about the outfitting side of their business...

So I drove over the Wholesale Sports in South Edmonton Common and this is what I see:

TONS of suitable backpacks - top brand names - lots of selection.

That picture doesn't even show the regular non-hunting backpacks they have.

Hell, I even found just a frame if you so desire.

Why is cabela's such a joke for actual outfitting? Is their slogan some kind of inside joke? Their reloading section is equally laughable.

For all those who intend to make purchases for this year's hunt: Cabela's is not the place for those looking for equipment for the hunter or reloader. It's a tourist place.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:26 PM

Ever think the place may be a tad picked over for hunting season as it started today? As for packs, we're you looking for something quality or just a specific color?

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 08-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Gone Hunting

If I were you, I wouldn't even waste my time at Cabela's

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-26-2012, 10:28 PM

As soon as I read the first part of your post about looking for a pack I was going to mentioned WSS south but I see you made your way there. I was impressed with their pack selection as well.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
Ever think the place may be a tad picked over for hunting season as it started today? As for packs, we're you looking for something quality or just a specific color?
So Cabela's is 'picked over for hunting season' but other outfitters are fully stocked?

Makes sense.

Also explains why the 'hunting outfitter' insisted that 'they don't make (packs with external frames) anymore.'

Not a single camo backpack in the place? Seemed everything was pretty well stocked to me....

Even if the above were true, which I doubt, you're telling me a major U.S. company, "The world's foremost outfitter" can't anticipate the demand from a regular thing like hunting season and stock their distribution channels appropriately?

Regarding colour: has to be Camo. Not bright and solidly coloured like everything Cabela's has.

External frame, rifle scabbard.

I ended up getting a Badlands one from Wholesale Sports.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
If that is the case their inventory control needs a serious revamp. Hunting season starts the same time every year, not big surprise, not like it is going to sneak up on them.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:47 PM

BPS i have found has a better selection of day plus packs. Wholesale in Saskatoon had a nice selection of mountain packs. The cabela here has had a sad selection of packs all summer.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:51 PM
Banned

I remember going to Cabela's in Calgary last year to get outfitted for ice fishing. Yep, got the Eskimo tent there for a heck of a deal but the only snowsuit they had in stock was a walking billboard for Cabela's. Pretty sad. Don't make them anymore was there response too - ended up going to sportmart to get what I need and got the rest of my fishing gear at WSS.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:01 PM

I think the word 'foremost' is often misused. I mean seriously, have you been to Foremost?
Old 08-26-2012, 11:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
I think the word 'foremost' is often misused. I mean seriously, have you been to Foremost?
I have. One of the best restaurant meals I've ever had was in the little strip mall there.

Otherwise it was not impressive.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-27-2012, 12:20 AM
Banned

Cabelas Canada should not be confused with cabelas.

I have yet to make a trip in there because I know I will be disappointed.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:27 AM

Great thing about cabelas...is they are close to wholesale when they done have something. And if wholesale doesnt have it...ah well. lol
Old 08-27-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
I remember going to Cabela's in Calgary last year to get outfitted for ice fishing. Yep, got the Eskimo tent there
Umm...cool - except there is NO Cabela's in Calgary.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin View Post
cabelas canada should not be confused with cabelas.

I have yet to make a trip in there because i know i will be disappointed.
haha!
Old 08-27-2012, 04:51 AM
Banned

The fact they opened they're store in Edmonton should have been enough for you to understand they are running a sub standard operation at best.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
I remember going to Cabela's in Calgary last year to get outfitted for ice fishing.
Assuming you mean Bass Pro Sports??
Old 08-27-2012, 08:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
Assuming you mean Bass Pro Sports??
yes I did actually. oops.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
Umm...cool - except there is NO Cabela's in Calgary.
You're not missing much

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-27-2012, 08:38 AM

Cabela's likely stocks a pile of inventory that historically moves in other locations. Wholesale Sports has the benefit of being in business in Edmonton for at least 2 decades and knows what the local, hardcore outdoorsmen wants.

Give Cabela's some time and I expect it will improve.

I have been often disappointed when I go to Cabela's looking for something specific. They do have a pretty good clothing section and lots of butcher/kitchen ware stuff.

Interestingly enough I was in Saskatoon a month ago and found that their store (Cabela's) was stocked better in the Fishing Category.

There is a reason why they call it shopping

What better way to kill a day than WSS, Cabela's and The Fishn' Hole?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:40 AM

I can't say ive had issues with cabelas. Most of the stuff I'm looking for i find what i need. Bought guns and clothing there with no real stock issues.

Although ALL my fishing stuff gets purchased at the south side fishin hole. Better prices and great staff.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Packs? What packs? I couldn't find a single pack with an external frame. They only had a few dozen to choose from - NOT A SINGLE ONE in camo. All brightly and solidly coloured.
Not on here to defend Cabela's but maybe you didn't look to hard. I was in the Edmonton Cabela's on Friday evening and there was a large rack of camo packs including both internal and external frame packs. They were in the hunting section of the store instead of the "camping" section where their brightly colored packs were so maybe you just didn't look very hard.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Banned

That's strange because when I went to cabelas last weekend (when they had their outdoor expo), there was 2 isles full of camo packs. They must have sold a sh!t load of packs in a week. I wasn't looking for an external frame so I'm not sure if they had any of those, but they had plenty of internal frames and hydration packs as well. Are you 100% positive you looked in the right spot? The section I was looking was directly in front of the archery section.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
What better way to kill a day than WSS, Cabela's and The Fishn' Hole?
I would just go to TFH, get what I need, and then spend the rest of the day fishing

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-27-2012, 09:02 AM

I find it pretty funny that people are willing to cut down Cabelas Canada . With more expectations then what Cabelas's Canada is about . It is not the big stores like in the US . Not even close . They arent even under the same name . I will agree that its kind of crappy that they dont have more , and better departments , but with 5 minute search on the internet , less time then it takes to time up these long blownout rants , to find what your looking for or heaven for bid picking up the phone and asking you would know .

but then agian who I to question anything . Pout on man .

I will proudly say that everytime I have needed something from ther I have always done my reaserch and have gotten what I need . Never any issues . I like it there . But like anything gotta shop around to get selection and better prices sometimes .
Old 08-27-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
I find it pretty funny that people are willing to cut down Cabelas Canada . With more expectations then what Cabelas's Canada is about . It is not the big stores like in the US . Not even close . They arent even under the same name . I will agree that its kind of crappy that they dont have more , and better departments , but with 5 minute search on the internet , less time then it takes to time up these long blownout rants , to find what your looking for or heaven for bid picking up the phone and asking you would know .

but then agian who I to question anything . Pout on man .

I will proudly say that everytime I have needed something from ther I have always done my reaserch and have gotten what I need . Never any issues . I like it there . But like anything gotta shop around to get selection and better prices sometimes .
Quote:

I asked an 'outfitter' and he said they 'don't make anything like that anymore'.
Phoning is fine, but when you get responses like this ^^^ from the staff, what's a person to think? Granted he could have been in the wrong section, but surely somebody in the store *should* have been able to set him straight...no?

I don't know what's up with you in the past few months man...if somebody else complains, you say that they're crying, or pouting, or whatever and take shots at them...yet you do it too, here and on FB...but that's okay?

Remember all the BS that went down when the jet boat went up Whitemud Creek and YeeHaw (I think?) lost his rod?

Do we really need the double standard? One standard should be enough around here...

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams

Last edited by Geezle; 08-27-2012 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 08-27-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I decided to start shopping for my hunt this year.

In particular, I was looking for:
-great set of warm boots
-warm socks
-warm under layers
-strong pack with external frame and rifle scabbard.

Being in Edmonton, I decided to try 'The World's Foremost Outfitter'.

What. A. Joke.

Sock selection was fine. Very few under layers available. Boots not too bad.

I was shocked. I guess they used too much floor space on fudge and nuts and souvenirs to worry about the outfitting side of their business...

So I drove over the Wholesale Sports in South Edmonton Common and this is what I see:

TONS of suitable backpacks - top brand names - lots of selection.

That picture doesn't even show the regular non-hunting backpacks they have.

Hell, I even found just a frame if you so desire.

Why is cabela's such a joke for actual outfitting? Is their slogan some kind of inside joke? Their reloading section is equally laughable.

For all those who intend to make purchases for this year's hunt: Cabela's is not the place for those looking for equipment for the hunter or reloader. It's a tourist place.
WOW to bad .
Old 08-27-2012, 09:36 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I have. One of the best restaurant meals I've ever had was in the little strip mall there.

Otherwise it was not impressive.
Strip mall? Foremost?

You sure you were in Foremost? lol

It's been my second home the past couple summers but I haven't found the strip mall yet...lol
Old 08-27-2012, 09:42 AM

Not that im a fan of cabelas, but theres a lot of circumstances that lead to stores being low or completely out of stock. Maybe cabelas had a bigger year than they anticipated and didnt buy enough external frame packs to suffice. Maybe its a different product demand than winnipeg. Due to the fact cabelas utilizes a lot of special make up product (cabelas branded) maybe their supplier in fact has cut off production due to limited demand.

And yes, competitors can be full while youre empty. Based on sales alone cabelas is miles ahead of wss and when you book your product its often a one time buy before the season starts so forecasting and human error can factor in. Usually during retail prime times (shopping season) the only re-stocking you can do from supplier is year old close
Out product.

Cabelas is still green in edmonton....lots of
Growing pains will happen with a store that size and a company that new
Old 08-27-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wolf View Post
Not on here to defend Cabela's but maybe you didn't look to hard. I was in the Edmonton Cabela's on Friday evening and there was a large rack of camo packs including both internal and external frame packs. They were in the hunting section of the store instead of the "camping" section where their brightly colored packs were so maybe you just didn't look very hard.
I looked plenty hard. I even went out of my way to ask an 'outfitter' who said they 'don't make that anymore'.

Maybe their staff should know their store a little better...

I don't really know IF they have those packs right now. If they do - and their staff don't know it and are unable to help a customer looking for them - that's just as bad as not having them, as far as the customer is concerned.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:28 AM

Default loading

I think Cabelas has a respectable selection of reloading componants. I was looking for 7mm bullets in 140gr, both P&D and WSS didn't have 140gr ballistic tips and 145gr Speer. Lots at Cabelas. Didn't have any H4350. FS