Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-12-2024, 07:52 PM

Default Dogpound May 2024

Wife and I fished the dogpound today, upstream from the bridge at 580. Watched 3 (what looked like brooks) hanging out in 12” of water.

Between the wife and I, we probably put 8 different dry patterns over their noses with no luck. Any tips for flies? Only bugs on the water were water striders.

Meant to stop by Bottrell on the way home and take a peek at the water there as well. Anyone have a report from there?

Thanks,

Clay
Old 05-13-2024, 08:01 AM

Default If you catch them are you putting them back?

There is not much water in the brooks to support fish, so I think that we should all take it easy. Don't wade through the redds please.

Most trout won't take a dry fly this early in the season.

If the younger nymph fishermen comment ask them.
Old 05-13-2024, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
There is not much water in the brooks to support fish, so I think that we should all take it easy. Don't wade through the redds please.

There are no rainbows or cutts in there so no redds to worry about. The browns and brooks will be spawning in the fall. It's likely the fish saw you or were spooked by your first few casts. Right now a large dry to imitate a skwala stonefly, or March brown mayfly with a smaller nymph hung below will get eats on both flys.
Old 05-13-2024, 01:57 PM

The dogpound is one of my favourite streams to explore, however it is quite techincal and tight to fish so when you do succeed it's even more rewarding. in the spring a small streamer can work , short casts stripping through the dark pools and look for the flash. later in summer traditonal drys such has stimmies and caddis may get some looks. I have only infrequently caught small browns but the experience and locale are what I am there for. And remember the bear spray and stay alert.
Old 05-13-2024, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post

Yes, wife and I are both catch and release sadists. And not to worry, no redds on Dogpound.

They were rising consistently, so eating something off the surface. I like the Skwala dry, nymph dropper idea though…
Old 05-15-2024, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
Wife and I fished the dogpound today, upstream from the bridge at 580. Watched 3 (what looked like brooks) hanging out in 12” of water.

Between the wife and I, we probably put 8 different dry patterns over their noses with no luck. Any tips for flies? Only bugs on the water were water striders.

Meant to stop by Bottrell on the way home and take a peek at the water there as well. Anyone have a report from there?

Thanks,

Clay
This time of year the Hatches will be BWOs and March Browns (and little black stoneflies). Keep well back from the water and use long leaders, it tends to be very technical, and if they see you game over.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 05-16-2024, 09:13 AM

Lots of black ants flying around the last few days. Browns love ants.