Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2010, 10:39 PM

Question Heading West of Sundre on the Forestry Trunk Road - Suggestions on Hikes?

Well, the wife and I cancelled our camping trip to Cypress Hills since it's underwater. We've since found a camping spot west of Sundre near Bearberry, and we're going to do a little exploring up and down the trunk road while we're there. We leave in about a week and will be gone for about 5 days.

We will likely hit the Ya Ha Tinda Ranch, and maybe Pepper's Lake on the other side of Corkscrew mountain. I've been through these areas before, but it's been a few years.

We have our black lab puppy Duke that loves to hike with us. (And loves water) Yesterday we took a non-outdoorsy couple up to the Barrier Lake Fire Lookout and they actually had a great time doing the full loop down to Jewel Bay with us.

We want to maybe try and explore the Trunk Road area a little more.

I've got my spin casting rod ready to go, hiking boots, and rifles for some crown land plinking.

Any suggestions on specifics to check out in the area? I know there are a few fire lookouts, and we may check them out. We're on foot or mountain bike. I have my backcountry road map, but don't have much for topo maps of this area. If you don't want to share publicly, I'd sure appreciate PM's.

Any suggestions are appreciated, we're just wanting to try to explore the area more. I hunt south of there in 314, so won't be taking anyone's 'spot' come fall.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:49 PM

Nice pic. Stood there or near there a time or two myself. About a decade ago my climbing partner and I summitted the mountain in the background via the exposed face. Easier than it looks, but was pretty stoopid, as that was not the original plan. What were we talkin' about?
Old 06-27-2010, 10:51 PM

Cute dog...Who's the retard??
Old 06-27-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
Cute dog...Who's the retard??
He is a bit of a big dope isn't he? The dog is good for picking up chicks. Nothing better than having a sweet puppy dog hanging his head out of a brand new F150 when you're driving down Kensington road... My wife HATES it when I do that, but I have no idea why???
Old 06-28-2010, 06:45 AM

2 suggestions might be Eagle Lake and Cutoff Creek staging area. Eagle Lake can be reached from the Yaha access road. Parking lot on right hand side as your travelling in. Cutoff Creek is accessed off the Trunk road north of Corkscrew mtn then past 7 mile campground and look for sign on left. Take the pack trail to the Clearwater river 8-10 km and then continue up the river.
Both trips would be good on mountain bikes. Cutoff creek has very little elevation gain. You can camp at the staging area as well.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:12 AM

limestone mountain fire lookout is probably the most senic hike in that area.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
limestone mountain fire lookout is probably the most senic hike in that area.
X2 on the Limestone area. Also some great fishing if you get back in on Limestone creek. May take you a couple tries on the roads to hit the one that takes you up to the lookout trail but well worth the hike.
SG
Old 06-28-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
X2 on the Limestone area. Also some great fishing if you get back in on Limestone creek. May take you a couple tries on the roads to hit the one that takes you up to the lookout trail but well worth the hike.
SG
I had my road mapbook out the other night, looks like it would be easy for me to get lost on some of those forestry roads. Oh well, part of the adventure I suppose. Looking forward to getting out of town!!

I heard a rumour there are natural waterslides up on the West end of the Ya Ha Tinda Ranch. Wonder if that's within hiking or biking distance from where you have to park? The dog is used to running along side us on the bike, but not with a leash, so we'll probably half to walk it.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
SG
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the road is accessed at the 15 K marker. Two well sites, one above the other right beside the road. At least that's the conclusion I came to last week. the water slides are one of Bartons attractions. If you make it that far, stop in. He's a very friendly guy, who serves only Starbucks coffee. biked up there with Calgary Chef. Definitely easier, coming back.
Grizz
Old 06-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the road is accessed at the 15 K marker. Two well sites, one above the other right beside the road. At least that's the conclusion I came to last week. the water slides are one of Bartons attractions. If you make it that far, stop in. He's a very friendly guy, who serves only Starbucks coffee. biked up there with Calgary Chef. Definitely easier, coming back.
Grizz
Not sure the km sign. A guy just gets acustom to the roads when you spend 10 years in there drilling them wells. If I remember right there is a reclaimed rig camp on the left side of the main limestone road. The main road goes straigh and you need to turn right. There is 2 wells immediatly on your right. One on a higher level than the other. From here the road starts winding up the hill. once on this road stay right. Part way up there is a switch back with a gate on it(gate is always open). Once your here you have it made. A few km farther and you will see a rough gravel trail. this takes you to the limestone communication towers. From there you have to hike but its all above tree line and the tower is visable from here. i usually take some goodies and such for whome ever is manning the tower.

Another nice spot is to just keep following the limestone to the very end. You will come to some open medows and then a bridge across limestone creek. At this bridge there is a nice biking trail that follows the creek through the gap to where it runs into the clearwater river at seven mile flats. Or if you follow the road across the bridge and up the hill(fairly) steep but not terrible you will come to a Y at the top. Take the left and it will take you to a well I drilled up there in 97 or so. From up there you can see the clearwater gap and down onto the rock creek flats. Good place to see wildlife.

If you think you may like to get into this area Albertadiver I can make up a google earth map when I get to work tomorrow and email it to you.

If you get to the back end of Limestone take a fishing pole and ill tell you the secret spots.
SG
Old 06-28-2010, 05:15 PM

Yeah, I've got my mapbook out, looks like the turnoff is the 15k marker. I think we'll explore the creek one day, and do the hike another day. Or depending on how long it takes us, get up really early and do both in one day. We're going out on a Tuesday night, so we'll do most of the exploring during the week and stick around camp over the weekend. Don't imagine these areas get a ton of traffic, but it's been years since i've been out there.

Thanks again for the tips guys. Appreciate it.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Yeah, I've got my mapbook out, looks like the turnoff is the 15k marker. I think we'll explore the creek one day, and do the hike another day. Or depending on how long it takes us, get up really early and do both in one day. We're going out on a Tuesday night, so we'll do most of the exploring during the week and stick around camp over the weekend. Don't imagine these areas get a ton of traffic, but it's been years since i've been out there.

Thanks again for the tips guys. Appreciate it.
Its actually a really busy area. Not alot of campers head all the way to limestone creek but lots camp along the Wilson area. On a weekend there is lots of atv users in the whole area. Will be a few people during the week heading to hike to the lookout.
SG
Old 06-28-2010, 05:26 PM

Here's my map I'm referring to.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:39 PM

And here's where I figure things correspond on Google Earth...

Don't mind sharing the area with others, but I'm sure there's a few spots the wife and I can find out there to get away from the quadders and such.

Will be bringing the fishing rod for sure and a few spinners and spoons. I'll have to check the regs to see if anything can be kept for supper...
Old 06-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Gone Fishing

Here's a trip report I posted last summer from my weekend at Ya-Ha-Tinda. We biked to the falls from the campground and it was only about 1/2 hr. each way I think. The water slides are a must do if you have the chance. I bet your lil' buddy would love the water.

http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=31885

From the bridge crossing Bighorn Creek., ride/hike towards the ranch. After about 2kms. you'll see a left branch road with a blue metal bridge, head across this bridge and within 200 yds. you'll see a wood chip covered road/path to the right(north/west). Follow this trail to it's end in an open meadow area just above Scalp crk. There are walking trails heading down to the creek and once down to creek level head up stream about 100ft. or so to the water slides. Depending upon what time of day you arrive, you will probably hear laughter and screaming from the many other folks enjoying the slides.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker View Post
Here's a trip report I posted last summer from my weekend at Ya-Ha-Tinda. .
Great trip report, we're going to have to check that out for sure. My wife loves that sort of thing.

So.... another question for everyone.

FIREWOOD!

As I said, I'll be camping near Bearberry, and I have some wood here in Calgary, but I've used up the stuff I stockpiled when I got a firewood permit two years ago out in Waiperous.

Bad thing is I don't have a chainsaw. Yes, I know I'm not a real man without having a chainsaw. And yes, I feel like a girl for admitting this. And yes, it is in my plan to buy one, but we have some other bills to pay for first. So this means I'm probably going to have to buy some wood, I just don't want to buy the $12.00 bundles from mohawk. I'm thinking about half a truckload will do me more than enough for the 5 nights we're going to be out there. I don't have bonfires, but I do enjoy the campfire in the evening.

Any locals know of somewhere I could pick some up?
Old 06-28-2010, 08:16 PM

'Diver, PM me your addy and I'll drop some off for ya (generally spruce, but seeing the winterkill this year, there could be some choice stuff in there too). It won't be good for this year but will be good to go next summer.

I also have some impossible to split blocks here that you are welcome to, that would probably be enough to get you through you through a weekend. You'll need a big wedge and a maul though. Otherwise, get ahold of my friends Ken and Pam at Bow Point Nurseries in Springbank, and they'll hook you up for a fraction of the price.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:01 PM

Talking

Thanks for the wood again TreeGuy! I owe you a few brewski's whenever you're let out of the shrubbery.

Well, I don't know why but I am especially excited about this camping trip. At the end of the month we're up in Jasper for five nights, then we're two weeks at Boulton campground in K-country in August, and then it's HUNTING SEASON!

This next five days should be neat. We're going to do some of the hikes SheepGuide and other's suggested, do some fishing and hopefully have some keepers for a fish-fry (yeah yeah I'll check the regs), taking a few rifles for some plinking, and just going to sit back with my lovely wife and forget about work and the City for a brief period of time. Truck and Trailer is just about loaded, and after doing some work in Turner Valley tommorrow afternoon, off we go!

Thanks again all who offerred advice via this thread and PM's. Will post up pics of our little trip when we get back.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:22 PM

Have a great trip 'Diver! Be safe and post the pics when you get back.

Pretty sure I saw Duke today while working at the northern most home on Brisbois, accompanied by an attractive young lady on a bicycle........