Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2018, 07:24 AM

Default Twin River Natural Reclassification

How do you guys feel about this proposed reclassification of the Twin River Heritage Rangeland Natural Area?

https://www.albertaparks.ca/albertap...lassification/

Basically it's a protected Natural Area with provisions to allow grazing. The new classification would be to Heritage Rangeland.

Personally, I'm against the proposal. Natural areas are very open to all user groups, just as public lands should be. The change to a Heritage Rangeland would force public landowners (us) to ask permission from private businesses (ranchers) to access our lands.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2018, 08:10 AM

Given the nature and layout of this particular area there is only one gravel road that goes into it and it dead ends at maximum 2 miles and since a person is suppose to walk anyways. I would dare to say its one of the driest places in the province at anytime of the year permission to access isnt a bad thing. There already is an individual hired to regulate activities and watch whats going on,use to have to talk to him for permission to enter. But last time I was at the main gate entrance there was a goverment # I had to call. I believe the office was in Medicine Hat and wouldnt you know it after several attempts of phone calls made there was no answer or even a returned call after voicemails left.

Would you want to walk across a pasture with cows in that you dont know and they dont know you?

Just a few thoughts that come to mind.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:34 AM

My concern is that this type of reclassification is a trend used to lock out public access with public consent. Each subsequent classification can, and usually does, bring additional public limitations while advancing private interests.

It's dry so we should limit public access is the same as saying, I'm OK with being treated like a criminal for something I've haven't done.

You already have to ask for permission so it's no big deal is the same as saying, I've already given up on readily available access to this public land.

There's a private company conducting business on public land that could negatively impact you, are you OK with permanently giving up your right to access of public lands to benefit a private company? Should the onus not be on the private business to readily accommodate public access instead of the public having to beg for access to lands we already own?

These are my concerns as we, the land owners, slowly give away our rights to our land.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:14 AM

Have we not been banned from using public land all over Alberta when land leases controlled access.
Near 5,000,000 acres.

Don
Old 08-12-2018, 10:16 AM
Banned

No change in access rules. You need to request access anywhere there is a grazing lease on all public lands or natural areas anyway.

Given that it is an expansion big winner is increase in small part of grasslands that oil and gas and other industry not allowed.

Improvement for conservation and hunters.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Have we not been banned from using public land all over Alberta when land leases controlled access.
Near 5,000,000 acres.

Don
Sure, doesn't make it right though.