Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-07-2015, 09:51 PM

The 338 will get your attention, however as long as the rifle fits well and you practice good shooting form, even bench shooting is not that bad. I have one in an older Tikka and it is my go to gun for everything, and I actually enjoy shooting it. Best load I have found to date in the 225 grain Barnes TTX. Spend a few dollars and get a Past recoil shield to wear under your jacket ..... it will soon become your best friend.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:41 PM
Banned

Why not just shoot a .50 cal or .505 Gibbs? What's with all the rage the past month or so on the .338. Get a .270 or .300 win and learn to shoot.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I'm gonna be honest with you. That gun is gonna kick your arse. I had a Bavarian. It was a gorgeous rifle. Beautiful set trigger. Problem is that the stock design is not recoil friendly, and the recoil pad, iirc, is a glorified hockey puck.
My dad sold his bavarian 338 and does not miss it. It does not have a recoil pad and a gunsmith (Ron Henrickson out of Edmonton) would not attempt to put one on because of the stock shape and the chance of damaging it in the process. The gun hits hard from the bench and is not fun to shoot. I've shot magnums off the bench plenty of times, but that 338 was different LOL!!
Old 12-08-2015, 06:23 AM

My 7.3 lb. 338 X-bolt stalker had a nasty kick, I added a Vais quiet brake reduced recoil by 50% without much added blast. The brake works by directing the first of the blast forward slowing down the gases flowing sideways reducing blast. I let people shoot one with brake and one without it's a real eye-opener.
Shoot 50 rounds a session with no problem.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-08-2015, 06:47 AM

I've had a 338 Win Mag for over 20 years. It'll open your eyes with 250 grain handloads, but the past 10 years or so I've fed it nothing but 200 grain Accubonds and the recoil is there but not crazy. I don't sit at the range for long sessions with it, but usually put a few rounds down the pipe before heading out for Elk in the fall. By far my favourite round for Moose and Elk.

-Craig
Old 12-08-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearbreath View Post
My dad sold his bavarian 338 and does not miss it. It does not have a recoil pad and a gunsmith (Ron Henrickson out of Edmonton) would not attempt to put one on because of the stock shape and the chance of damaging it in the process. The gun hits hard from the bench and is not fun to shoot. I've shot magnums off the bench plenty of times, but that 338 was different LOL!!
I knew it

Rod did not want to put a Pachmayr on mine either because the hockey puck was glued on hard.

They look pretty, but kick like a mule.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:18 AM

the 338 win mag is tolerable off the bench. U want to scramble your brains shoot a 338-378 weatherby sans break. Lol. The ol 338 feels pretty tame after that.

Gilly
Old 12-08-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
Why not just shoot a .50 cal or .505 Gibbs? What's with all the rage the past month or so on the .338. Get a .270 or .300 win and learn to shoot.
Not that much of a step up from the .300 and if you're just going to shoot the lighter bullets, like me, no real gain. Fun to play with though.

Grizz
Old 12-08-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
Because that can't be done with a 338?

-Billy Molls
Old 12-08-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta.elk View Post
Hello Everybody,
I am looking for buying a gun for Hunting in Alberta/ Canada especially for elk trophy size and Sheep.

I like to buy a 338 Win Mag in Sako Bavarian (7.9 Lbs), Sako Grey Wolf (8.0 Lbs) or Winchester 70 Super Grade (8.5 Lbs)
Before buying a one of these guns, I would like to check how much 338 Win Mag recoil is?
I have shot lots of slug with 12 gauge/ single barrel (light weight gun), and the recoil is very manageable for me.

I have heard lots of "for and against" about this caliber, but I do not know which is right or wrong.

I would really appreciate if you could please help me especially the hunters that they have the personal experience

Regards,
alberta.elk
You won't find many sheep hunters that carry a .338 anything-a 30/06 or something equivalent is more than good and great for elk too.For sheep hunting you want a light , short and handy up in the rocks.These days, with the great bullets available you do not need these larger chamberings imo.Some of the bullets these days can be the. dealbreaker on caliber choices. Good luck.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:14 AM

Did you deicide on which to go with yet ? My 12 year old son shot his elk with my .338 WM. Way better felt recoil than a .300 WM. I, and all my hunting partners use the .338 WM in the Tikka T3 lite models, and love them. We've now harvested 10 elk and 4 moose, with 13 of them being one-shot take downs. When we used the .270 Win., we had several wounds and lost animals. We've never turned back.

Ammo used is the Winchester 200 grain Ballistic Silvertip

My suggestion is to pick one up if you can.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
. The next was a Browning A bolt stainless stalker. This rifle shot the 250 partitions better than the Sako but the recoil was stupid. After 20 rounds off the bench I'm sure my eyes started to cross more than they already are. Lol.
haha
Old 03-12-2017, 09:43 PM

Default recoil issues

do yourself a favor when shooting off of the bench, and get yourself a PAST shooting pad. When I am practicing in the early season, the thickness of the shooting pad is about the same thickness as my hunting jacket. As for recoil, you never feel that when you are shooting at game anyways!
Double-up on hearing protection, and a good shooting pad, and you will never tell the difference when you are shooting in the field. AND, you will do it without developing a flinch.
My first .338 was a browning A-bolt, extremely lightweight, and kicked like a mule with just a tee-shirt. (I also have a nasty tendency to push the limit on my reloads up to where I have to pound the bolt open, and the primers dissappear: not recommended BTW). By using the proper gear at the shooting bench, I never had any issues while in the field.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:07 PM

Talked to a fellow shooting a 338 at the range. He said it knocked three of his teeth loose. Never had an interest after hearing that.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
Talked to a fellow shooting a 338 at the range. He said it knocked three of his teeth loose. Never had an interest after hearing that.

He shouldn't be using his mouth for a recoil pad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2017, 01:05 PM
Banned

Recoil, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It effects some more than others with the same rifle. I've had a Remington AWR gen 1 rifle for going on twenty years. It's a very light rifle, but you carry it 99.99% of the time and shoot it the remainder. Had a Browning composite stalker before that.

From the bench I'll wear a sissy pad but when you're hunting you'll never feel the recoil anyway.

Great cartridge for elk, moose and bear. Might be stretching it some to say it's a sheep rifle though.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:16 PM

I think the question is not whether you can handle the recoil of a few shots, but can you handle a good practice round with lots of shots. And in a rifle whose weight you would want to hump up a mountain. If you can and want that round, go for it. But as others have said, you don't need that big/powerful of a round for that game.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:26 PM

The stock construction & fit will make a big difference on guns like the 338 and the 300's.
I had a Rem KS mtn rifle that shot sweet. You had to pay attention to it, but it wouldn't hurt you if you did. I bought it in about 1990. Went in and asked to have all the synthetic stocked guns put on the counter. He put out 6-8 guns there. I wanted the lightest I could get, turned out to be the second most expensive as well. Was surprised at the differences in the various guns at the time. You can still order that gun from the custom shop, and if you are worried about the trigger, put a Timney or something else in it. I doubt that gun cracked 8 to 8-1/2 lbs with a 3-9 Leupold on it. Had a number of people shoot it, they all remarked how nice it was to shoot, even off a bench. Believe the stocks on those at the time were McMillan.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:45 PM

Default Recoil

Don't ruin a gun with a brake.

Find a caliber you can enjoy shooting. And practice lots. Pick good
bullets. Shot placement is way more important than bullet size and speed.

Find a nice light rifle you can pack up a mountain.

If that happens to be a .338 Win Mag then grab one.

I have been shooting 338wm for 25 years. I love it. It is a pile of recoil and would be easy to get scared of. One could easily develop poor shooting habits if they were not careful.

Find one to try.

I would look for something lighter for a sheep hunt.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:17 PM
Gone Hunting

I am not sure if .338 Win Mag would be my choice for Elk and sheep gun.
I have one in Sako 75 SS and shooting 225 Barnes TTSX for hunting and Hornady SST for plinking.
Easier to handle recoil as compared to friends Tikka in 300WSM with 180 gr. Both have Limb-saver recoil pads.
Gun is only gun I would not go on hunt like this without angle compensating range finder and good scope.

Sako 75 Finnlight in 300 Win Mag with 180 Barnes TTSX gr would be my choice for Sheep and Elk.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 03-13-2017, 02:27 PM

If recoil is a concern go smaller cause you don't need a 338 win for those animals. If you like wide lead then maybe go 35 whelen. But the good old 30-06 would do great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2017, 02:38 PM

I got my 338 win mag knowing full well it's a kicker

Looking forward to range time. I'd never brake a rifle. She's pretty heavy scoped up and loaded. I'd say close to 9 maybe . Love it when wifey let's me buy new toys.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:59 PM

If recoil is a concern, but you want the power go with the 375H&H, Easy to shoot from the bench, very accurate, and has the power your looking for. I've had two 338wm rifles in the past. One in a Ruger 77 and one in a Sako. I put a KDF on the Sako, big mistake, as no one would hunt with me any more. Anyways the Zastava 375 I have now is much easier to shoot, even with 300 gr. bullets, 40 rounds off the bench in 2hrs and no ill effects.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:00 PM
Banned

The recoil can turn your brain into mush,,,

For most people this isn't an issue
Old 03-13-2017, 03:09 PM

338 wm with get attention from both ends... I presently have a sako av mannlicher that has been mag-na-ported and it kicks like my old 338 federal which is another option for you to consider
Old 03-13-2017, 04:32 PM

Default recoil

My buddies .416 Rigby is more pleasant to shoot than my win 70 in .338 Only thing that hits harder at the butt is my Marlin 45-70 with the curved stock and stiff loads........I sight them in and go shoot something once.....not for prolonged target shooting......mind you I'm getting older.........Harold
Old 03-13-2017, 05:31 PM
Banned

I find my 338 wm is very manageable until I step up to the 250 grainers.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:36 PM

Don't let fear hold you back. If one can handle it it is a hell if a cartridge ! I personally cannot handle recoil any longer and shoot a 240 wby mag

Firearms / calibers are like religions all kinds of them and they are all right .
Old 03-14-2017, 10:28 PM

I'm all for guys buying whatever rifle they want in whatever chambering they desire, but I will say a heavy gun in 338 anything seems peculiar for sheep. I believe we over-think the requirements to kill our desired game and tend to over analyze the energy tables.
Just about anything 6.5mm and up that you can shoot well to 350 yards is probably going to be more effective than what anyone could tell you that you need to get. With that said, it might work better for you to describe what you currently like about guns you shoot well and what you're aiming to achieve in shooting elk and sheep and have suggestions geared towards that.
What are your reasons for 338?
Do you have preference for heavy for calibre bullets or just effective weights?
Do you have a favourite bullet based on performance? What velocities work week for it?
Do you prefer those actions you suggested or are you open to other makes/models?
Why that weight of rifle?
Intended range?
What are you currently shooting?

Sounds like you're getting a new gun. So exciting! Have fun!
Old 03-15-2017, 06:35 AM

Default 325 wsm

I am still shocked every time I pull the trigger on 325 WSM how light the recoil is. I was expecting a much heavier kick from it than I have experienced from. You might want to consider that caliber.