Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-21-2017, 04:10 PM

Default Cabela's modded SKS

So Cabela's now offers SKS's with an adjustable Tapco stock for $400. Compared to the regular SKS for $260, I gather it's a good deal to get one with the aftermarket stock pre-installed for that price, yes?
Old 03-21-2017, 04:35 PM
Banned

IMHO... None of them are worth the money. Even at ~ $250...

* if I were to ever get an SKS, it would be one of the CanTire specials with the laminated (Boyds ?) stock pictured below.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:43 PM

you can buy a used sks online for 150-175.
I bought my aftermarket SKS stock for 50.00 on this forum.

If your not in a rush and want to save money I would watch the for sale section here and CGN
Old 03-21-2017, 09:40 PM

Just add the thick butt pad if you find it a little short. Most people report the best accuracy in the original stock. If its loose just shim/bed it so it is tight on the forward lug. You may find the trigger needs work before you can shoot it properly and worry about the stock later.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:05 PM

Better yet gun show is coming up ...... look there
Old 03-21-2017, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by overhere View Post

Better yet, the gun show is coming up ...... look there
Why ? So he can pay $300 for the $250 SKS, plus the $15 admission, plus the $15 for parking (unless he walks/takes C-train) ?

Old 03-24-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
Why ? So he can pay $300 for the $250 SKS, plus the $15 admission, plus the $15 for parking (unless he walks/takes C-train) ?

Easy tiger, might wanna try decaf, he might find a deal, or not
Old 03-24-2017, 06:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody c View Post

Easy tiger, might wanna try decaf, he might find a deal, or not
Haven't had a coffee in ~18 months...

Old 03-24-2017, 06:41 PM

I have found and seen lots of deals there just know the price you want to pay
Old 03-24-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post

* if I were to ever get an SKS, it would be one of the CanTire specials with the laminated (Boyds ?) stock pictured below.

I'd buy that sks - if I were to buy an sks.

Colin
Old 03-24-2017, 07:37 PM

Side note: I was at the cdtsa calgary range last week and there were 3 fellows there with their sks's. Best I could tell they were all just aiming west. On the upside, this would be the first time I've ever witnessed sks shooters pick up their brass.

Colin
Old 03-24-2017, 08:24 PM
Banned

I've modded an SKS as a learning tool. If I were to do one again, I'd mod it with the rear tires of a John Deer.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I've modded an SKS as a learning tool. If I were to do one again, I'd mod it with the rear tires of a John Deer.
Thanks. Now I have to change my shirt

Colin
Old 03-24-2017, 09:52 PM

I was in Cabelas today and there was an a Chinese gentleman holding one of these, he told the gun guy that they are a great hunting rifle, but you can't hunt in Alberta with the bayonet on. This fellow seem to know this gun pretty good and I don't, so who am I to say.( i'm not a fan of them at the range, but I'm a signal shot rifle guy. So I'll stick to my Winchester 1885 I think. Do you have to remove the big knife to hunt with these guns?
Old 03-24-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
I was in Cabelas today and there was an a Chinese gentleman holding one of these, he told the gun guy that they are a great hunting rifle, but you can't hunt in Alberta with the bayonet on. This fellow seem to know this gun pretty good and I don't, so who am I to say.( i'm not a fan of them at the range, but I'm a signal shot rifle guy. So I'll stick to my Winchester 1885 I think. Do you have to remove the big knife to hunt with these guns?
Only if it changes your point of impact.

Actually I don't know. I really don't.

Colin
Old 03-25-2017, 12:19 AM

They are on sale now, for $350. $50 off the regular price. Yea, I know, I know, you would not shoot them even _being_ paid $350... but still...
Old 03-25-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith View Post
So Cabela's now offers SKS's with an adjustable Tapco stock for $400. Compared to the regular SKS for $260, I gather it's a good deal to get one with the aftermarket stock pre-installed for that price, yes?
I guess that depends on what you like, but I'd say no. SKS is a cheap, fun rifle, and IMO thats the only way it makes any sense. Adding a crappy plastic stock to it doesn't really make it any better. At $400 your getting close to being able to buy a actual decent firearm.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
This may be a good time to stick a fork in your eye.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:51 AM

[QUOTE=J0HN_R1;3499582]

Please explain how these are not worth $250. You talk like you are an expert..........
Old 03-26-2017, 12:33 PM

I think that's a fair deal. As others have said if you keep your eyes open you'll find one used for a bit less.
I don't understand how you can't have fun with one of these, but I just ordered an Eotech 552 for my sks.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openfire View Post
you can buy a used sks online for 150-175.
I bought my aftermarket SKS stock for 50.00 on this forum.

If your not in a rush and want to save money I would watch the for sale section here and CGN
where did you see that price? I never seen SKS lower than $225
Old 03-26-2017, 09:51 PM

I've never seen an sks for 150 either, the prices have risen on them because imports have dried up. And a Tapco stock will not go for 50, more like 150.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:03 AM

Why the dislike for SKS? I also like the laminate stock at CT.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:09 AM

Some think its bad cuz the gun is old and inexpensive. Most of them heard from their friends or people down at the range. I spoke to the owners and they like it.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henzo45` View Post
Some think its bad cuz the gun is old and inexpensive. Most of them heard from their friends or people down at the range. I spoke to the owners and they like it.
Owners like them but people caught on their right side don't. Those of us who clean up the mess don't. Those of us (range members) that have to pay for burns and baffles don't.

Colin
Old 03-27-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henzo45` View Post

There are multiple reasons that some people are not fond of the SKS. Some of us are simply are not interested in any rifle that doesn't offer what we consider to be adequate accuracy. And some people are not keen on the SKS, because of the behavior of some SKS owners at the local ranges, and because of the ammunition that they use. Many people using SKS rifles are into rapid fire, which in many cases ends up with more bullets missing the targets and hitting the target frames, and baffles, and baffle supports, which results in extra repairs being required at the range. As well, while some people are trying to empty the magazine as quickly as possible, they aren't aware that their ejected cases are striking other shooters and their equipment. Of course this isn't something that happens only with SKS rifles, it also happens with AR style rifles, but the low price of the SKS rifles makes them more popular, so there are more of them showing up at the ranges. Most people choose the cheapest ammunition available, which uses steel cases, and steel cores. The result is that the bullets are harder on the target frames, baffles and baffle supports, and ricochets tend to be more common, and they travel farther, when the bullet is less deformed. And since virtually nobody reloads the steel cases, they usually just get left laying where they fall. Of course this isn't true with all SKS users, but it is common enough, that both of the ranges that I belong to, have now banned steel core ammunition.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:22 PM

Leave the sks alone as was intended. Dump that tapco money into amo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2017, 02:10 PM

Yes, leave your the SKS in its original shape - your first one, some antique Tula 1950 .

For the second one - play and experiment all you want with this fun inexpensive platform. Stock, bipod, red dot, optics, mags, recoil pad, etc...

Then, the most fun part comes - see if the modded-upgraded "SKS on steroids" delivers any better results or experience on the range than the original reference model

And I indeed mean "results or experience". Accuracy is only one component of firearm. Overall experience and satisfaction after a day on the range includes a lot more. Physical fatigue, "cool" factor, eye strain, versatility... Consider just one example: "tapco" SKS is 2 pounds lighter than the antique original.

You may or may not like the end result of all your mods. But you had your fun, learned some history, acquired some skills, and did not have to mortgage your children in the process.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
There are multiple reasons that some people are not fond of the SKS. Some of us are simply are not interested in any rifle that doesn't offer what we consider to be adequate accuracy. And some people are not keen on the SKS, because of the behavior of some SKS owners at the local ranges, and because of the ammunition that they use. Many people using SKS rifles are into rapid fire, which in many cases ends up with more bullets missing the targets and hitting the target frames, and baffles, and baffle supports, which results in extra repairs being required at the range. As well, while some people are trying to empty the magazine as quickly as possible, they aren't aware that their ejected cases are striking other shooters and their equipment. Of course this isn't something that happens only with SKS rifles, it also happens with AR style rifles, but the low price of the SKS rifles makes them more popular, so there are more of them showing up at the ranges. Most people choose the cheapest ammunition available, which uses steel cases, and steel cores. The result is that the bullets are harder on the target frames, baffles and baffle supports, and ricochets tend to be more common, and they travel farther, when the bullet is less deformed. And since virtually nobody reloads the steel cases, they usually just get left laying where they fall. Of course this isn't true with all SKS users, but it is common enough, that both of the ranges that I belong to, have now banned steel core ammunition.
Pretty much.
I love my $199 Canadian Tire SKS for what it is...a rifle that used to be in the Guns encyclopedias that I used to borrow from the local library.
I prefer the cosmoline-smelling wooden stock, keeping the bayonet on, and shoot it at the range when there is not a lot of people.
I pick most of my cases and throw them in the cans. Not too accurate or anything, just a cool and cheap rifle. My Mosin is the same...I don't intent to become a great shooter with it...cheap and fun.
The historical piece is also interesting...
Old 04-07-2017, 12:22 PM

Now that all Tapco SKS flew off the Cabella's shelf, bulk Chinese ammo crates are on good sale. Good timing before people spend all their budget on the Gun Show!