Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2018, 11:48 AM

Default telus smart hub problems

I'm trying to get the telus smart hub to work for me. I seem to be in an area touching 3 towers, and I seem to be in the "grey zone" in the middle. All around me can get (according to the useage map). According to the address I should be able to get but got home, won't work (great signal etc.). Using the map function, seems north, south and east and southwest are all golden. I suspect the device has locked on the wrong tower. Any Haven't made it through to telus yet. Yes, I'm trying.

My question - has anybody tried a directional antenna to force it to lock on the proper tower? And yes, I've tried the competitors etc. (xplornet) and they are speed challenged. Around the Stony Plain area. Are there any specialty shops with knowledgeable staff in the area?

Thanks
Old 02-16-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
I'm trying to get the telus smart hub to work for me. I seem to be in an area touching 3 towers, and I seem to be in the "grey zone" in the middle. All around me can get (according to the useage map). According to the address I should be able to get but got home, won't work (great signal etc.). Using the map function, seems north, south and east and southwest are all golden. I suspect the device has locked on the wrong tower. Any Haven't made it through to telus yet. Yes, I'm trying.

My question - has anybody tried a directional antenna to force it to lock on the proper tower? And yes, I've tried the competitors etc. (xplornet) and they are speed challenged. Around the Stony Plain area. Are there any specialty shops with knowledgeable staff in the area?

Thanks
Mine works really well in Lac La Biche, have 4G LTE here though
Old 02-16-2018, 12:13 PM

I have heard of one situation where the people had to move the Hub from one side of the house to the other and bingo locked on the right tower. If your signal is weak then a booster aimed at the proper tower will definitely help.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:22 PM

I have had to replace the SIM card twice on my hub in last 1.5 years. Had signal but no internet.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:29 PM

finally got through to Telus. It seems I'm locking on the wrong tower (they limit the number of subscriptions to the towers, apparently, to keep quality up). The tower that has spots available is east. Seems my only real choice is to try a directional in order to "force" it to lock on the correct tower. If a directional gives it stronger signal than the one it is presently locked on, that MAY work.

This is ridiculous to live this close to Edmonton and have no real access to high speed internet. Especially since the main fiberoptic line runs less than 1km south of me.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
finally got through to Telus. It seems I'm locking on the wrong tower (they limit the number of subscriptions to the towers, apparently, to keep quality up). The tower that has spots available is east. Seems my only real choice is to try a directional in order to "force" it to lock on the correct tower. If a directional gives it stronger signal than the one it is presently locked on, that MAY work.

This is ridiculous to live this close to Edmonton and have no real access to high speed internet. Especially since the main fiberoptic line runs less than 1km south of me.
A) Drive your smart hub closer to the tower get it to lock in then head home, it should maintain sync.

B) People always want to live out of the city, but get services like they are in the city...... hmm
Old 02-16-2018, 03:31 PM

Lol. For what it’s worth, I’ve been here over 20 years. I smell manure every spring and deal with tractors on my quiet road frequently. Been a Country boy all my life. I’m no Johnny come lately.

Wife now needs better for work.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:24 PM

I moved mine by a window in the direction the tower in suppose to be connected to. No more issues.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:53 AM

I have this antenna on my telus smart hub.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It helped with signal strength but I do not know if it would help with your issue .... although mine works best when pointed in the direction of the tower (which is quite far away).

Thanks