Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2016, 07:04 AM

Default Official Outdoorsmen can cook thread.

I have taken to trying new recipes lately. Hopefully we can keep this going so we can get good ideas to try.

I made this Thai carrot soup recipe the other day. Tasted good if you like peanuts/carrots.

It was easy to make although my blender was a 6 cup one and not big enough so I split the blending portion and mixed in the bowl after.

I would also say it tastes best hot.

http://minimalistbaker.com/creamy-th...up-with-basil/

4.8 from 79 reviews
CREAMY THAI CARROT SOUP WITH BASIL

Prep time
5 mins
Cook time
25 mins
Total time
30 mins

Thai-inspired, 7 ingredient, 30-minute carrot soup that’s creamy, vegan + gluten free, perfectly sweet and spicy and so delicious.
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Soup, Entree
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free, Thai
Serves: 4
Ingredients
1/2 1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, diced
1 pound carrots, scrubbed (or peeled) and chopped (~4 cups)
Salt and Pepper
2 cups Veggie Stock + 2 cups water
1/3 cup creamy or crunchy salted natural peanut butter (use less for a less intense PB flavor)
2 tsp chili garlic sauce (use less for less spice)
TOPPINGS: Fresh basil, cilantro, or mint; coconut milk; brown sugar or agave nectar (sub honey if not vegan); Sriracha hot sauce
(NOT LISTED: Coconut or Olive Oil for sauteing)
Instructions
Heat a large pot over medium heat.
Dice onion and garlic. Add to pot with 1 Tbsp coconut or olive oil (or nonstick spray). Add carrots and cook for 5 minutes.
Season with a healthy pinch each salt and pepper, then add veggie stock and 2 cups of water and stir.
Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until veggies are tender (test by cutting a larger piece of carrot in half – it should cut with ease).
Transfer to a blender (or use an immersion blender) and blend until smooth and creamy. (Cover with a towel in case your lid leaks any soup while blending.)
Add peanut butter and chili garlic sauce to the blender and blend to combine, using a ‘puree’ or ‘liquify’ setting if you have it.
Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. For a touch of added sweetness, add a Tbsp or so of brown sugar, maple syrup or agave nectar (or honey if not vegan). Add more chili garlic sauce for more heat.
Serve immediately with fresh basil or herbs of choice. A drizzle of coconut milk will add a creamy, sweet touch. Serve with sriracha for extra heat.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 1 of 4 bowls Calories: 224 Fat: 14.6g Saturated fat: 2.2g Carbohydrates: 19g Sugar: 8g Sodium: 239mg Fiber: 5.7g Protein: 7.1g

I am into soups now. Trying a Cuban black bean soup recipe next. Anyone else have great soups for others to try?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-03-2016, 07:27 AM

Sounds good
Old 08-03-2016, 07:31 AM

Default Bushcraft Bread

Came up with this bannock (bushcraft) bread recipe and its pretty good.

Ingredients (serves 1-2 people):

1/2 cup of flour
1/4 cup wholewheat flour
1/4 cup Corn flour (maseca brand is what I use)
1 teaspoon of baking powder
2 teaspoons of milk powder
1-2 teaspoons of taco seasoning
1/4 - 1/2 cup of water

I take this camping so I combine all dry ingredients in a medium ziploc bag and and then add the water when ready to use.
Once you add water and thoroughly combine the mix, it should be a ball of dough, a little sticky but should hold its shape and not runny, so add the water little by little while you mix.
I tend to mix all the ingredients in the ziploc bag and don't get my hands dirty.

Once you have the dough ready, heat up a cast iron pan with some oil, over a fire of course, and put dough on the warm pan and flatten it down to about 3/4"-1" thickness, it should now be around a 10"-12" diameter.
Bake in pan over medium fire (and my pan was about a foot above the fire on a grill) for 20-30 minutes. After the first 5-10 min, start flipping frequently as not to burn a side.
Will be a nice golden/light brown when ready. All depending on your fire and heat below the pan so you may have to experiment a little but the above method worked for me.
It's a nice side to a meal or a snack in the evening while sitting at a fire enjoying a beer. Enjoy!
Old 08-03-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomama View Post
Came up with this bannock (bushcraft) bread recipe and its pretty good.

Ingredients (serves 1-2 people):

1/2 cup of flour
1/4 cup wholewheat flour
1/4 cup Corn flour (maseca brand is what I use)
1 teaspoon of baking powder
2 teaspoons of milk powder
1-2 teaspoons of taco seasoning
1/4 - 1/2 cup of water

I take this camping so I combine all dry ingredients in a medium ziploc bag and and then add the water when ready to use.
Once you add water and thoroughly combine the mix, it should be a ball of dough, a little sticky but should hold its shape and not runny, so add the water little by little while you mix.
I tend to mix all the ingredients in the ziploc bag and don't get my hands dirty.

Once you have the dough ready, heat up a cast iron pan with some oil, over a fire of course, and put dough on the warm pan and flatten it down to about 3/4"-1" thickness, it should now be around a 10"-12" diameter.
Bake in pan over medium fire (and my pan was about a foot above the fire on a grill) for 20-30 minutes. After the first 5-10 min, start flipping frequently as not to burn a side.
Will be a nice golden/light brown when ready. All depending on your fire and heat below the pan so you may have to experiment a little but the above method worked for me.
It's a nice side to a meal or a snack in the evening while sitting at a fire enjoying a beer. Enjoy!
Cool. Ever try it on the BBQ or in a fry pan?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-03-2016, 05:45 PM
Gone Hunting

I do a fair bit of cooking and Batwoman claims I'm a good cook.

I wonder though, she could be trying to get out of some work.

My cooking is as simple as it gets. I seldom use recipes. No need when you stick to the basics.

Mac N cheese = Macaroni. Add some water and a pinch of salt, cook.
Mix in grated cheese a spoon full of butter, some salt and pepper and serve.

Hot cakes. Put flour in bowl, add one tablespoon of baking powder for each cup of flour. Add a pinch of salt.
Mix one egg for each cup of flour, add a cup of milk, blend with flour mix and fry. Add syrup and enjoy.

Cookies. Make hot cake dough, add raisins and enough four to stiffen mix. cook on cookie sheet. EAT EAT EAT.

Fish, sprinkle with salt and pepper and fry. Eat

Pork chops, sprinkle with salt and pepper, fry, Eat

Steak, sprinkle with salt and pepper, fry, Eat.

Potatoes, peal, boil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, Eat

I've got more recipes if anyone wants them.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-03-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Cool. Ever try it on the BBQ or in a fry pan?
No, haven't tried those cooking methods but doing it on the bbq sounds like a good idea.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:03 PM

Default I try to keep it fairly simple too, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

My cooking is as simple as it gets. I seldom use recipes. No need when you stick to the basics.

Hot cakes. Put flour in bowl, add one tablespoon of baking powder for each cup of flour. Add a pinch of salt.
Mix one egg for each cup of flour, add a cup of milk, blend with flour mix and fry. Add syrup and enjoy.

Cookies. Make hot cake dough, add raisins and enough four to stiffen mix. cook on cookie sheet. EAT EAT EAT.

For the meat, especially chicken, but also beef steaks and pork (chops or ribs), and cooking on a grill (a nice clean metal screen over an open fire/coals) I like to put the meat in a nice appropriate marinade a few days ahead, freeze it in large ziploc bags, and put it in the bottom of a cooler (it can be the "ice" for the food coolers).

There is nothing on earth better than that chicken, whole ones cut into 10 pieces per bird, marinated in my special cooked BBQ sauce while still warm (somewhat "famous" amongst those who have had it this way), and then marinated and frozen, and cooked over open coals on the 3rd day or so of the trip, when it has thawed. It is always a highlight of the trip for my boys and any other participants, and they look forward to it. I have seen 4 people polish off 3 chickens entirely after the 3rd day out camping and fishing, with a few token side dishes (corn on the cob and/or potatoe salad usually) in the mix. Now, that same chicken is very good just marinated for a few hours and on the home BBQ, propane or charcoal, but, for whatever reason, it is much more amazing frozen in the marinade and cooked slowly over the open wood coals of a campfire. Is it just the environment of the time, or is it ...?
Old 08-03-2016, 09:05 PM

Are some awesome cooks on the forum. And then there is me LOL Oh, and the guys whose wives make pies
Old 08-03-2016, 09:39 PM

Default Boiled walleye

clean fillet etc. and cut wally in strips about 50 cm wide and 75 long.

Keep fish out of water, do not rinse, but use paper towels to clean fish. I find the fish will absorb water if rinsed, this will make them soggy and will make cooking harder.

Try and get all pieces about the same size, same thickness etc. so they cook about the same time. Mix commercial Tempura batter as to directions with ice cold water and keep batter ice cold, add Franks, a good amount so batter is deep pinkish. Again keep batter cold!!. Heat Oil in fryer to about 375, dip wally in batter and boil in hot oil til fish turns golden, flip and cook about 1/2 the time on second side.

When we r in Sask. and can legally kill a few wally's we figure about one small wally per biggish person for the noon Big meal. Consider sweet onions, bell peppers and yams in same batter, same temp etc. as vegetables!!!!! That makes the whole thing healthy by having vegetables with the fish!!!
Old 08-03-2016, 11:18 PM

Default Easy Peasy Crock pot Ribs

Cut into 4 inch pieces, brown on BBQ, 1 bottle of favorite BBQ sauce in bottom of Crock Pot. As you layer pieces, dip pieces in a bowl of BBQ sauce so their covered and layer until the pot is full. 6 hours on low, test. Keep going till your happy their done. Fall off the bone good and simple. Some creamy mashed Potatoes and a salad make for a yummy meal.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:07 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedlap View Post
For the meat, especially chicken, but also beef steaks and pork (chops or ribs), and cooking on a grill (a nice clean metal screen over an open fire/coals) I like to put the meat in a nice appropriate marinade a few days ahead, freeze it in large ziploc bags, and put it in the bottom of a cooler (it can be the "ice" for the food coolers).

There is nothing on earth better than that chicken, whole ones cut into 10 pieces per bird, marinated in my special cooked BBQ sauce while still warm (somewhat "famous" amongst those who have had it this way), and then marinated and frozen, and cooked over open coals on the 3rd day or so of the trip, when it has thawed. It is always a highlight of the trip for my boys and any other participants, and they look forward to it. I have seen 4 people polish off 3 chickens entirely after the 3rd day out camping and fishing, with a few token side dishes (corn on the cob and/or potatoe salad usually) in the mix. Now, that same chicken is very good just marinated for a few hours and on the home BBQ, propane or charcoal, but, for whatever reason, it is much more amazing frozen in the marinade and cooked slowly over the open wood coals of a campfire. Is it just the environment of the time, or is it ...?

That sounds awesome.
My bud down in Westlock area swears by his Triger or is that triagra grill.
Never could remember. Basically its a camp fire in a big can.

I love grilled food but don't own one, don't know how to cook on one and not willing to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Are some awesome cooks on the forum. And then there is me LOL Oh, and the guys whose wives make pies
In all honesty I make a pretty good pie.
Not my own recipe. Just an old school recipe with lard crust and starch to stiffen the filling.
Saskatoon and blueberrys are my favorites to make.

My wife says I make the best crust she has ever tasted. I'm okay with that but I really just follow the instructions on the Tenderflake box.

I don't follow a recipe when cooking over a camp fire and for simple things like hot cakes and stews but I do follow recipes for cookies, pies and sauces.

I don't care for complicated recipes or recipes with exotic ingredients.
I like simple, old school, down home cooking.

I like eating exotic cooking, just don't like making it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-04-2016, 12:42 AM
Banned

I'll have to give that bushcraft bannock a try sometime soon.

Can't make a real pie crust to save my life.

I like simple cooking too. Home made dry rub, I put that stuff on everything Nothing like pan seared meat in cast iron.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:58 PM

Tried a new soup recipe.

http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-...1?photo=378631

I substituted lactose free whipping cream and lactose free 2% milk (half each) to make my cream of mushroom soup. Worked good.

I would also say one could blend everything except for a few mushrooms for a different feel.

Tasted great and very easy to make.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:15 PM

BBQ
- Rotisserie turkey, ham, chicken, pork loins
- steak, burgers.
Smoker
- ribs, salmon, ham
ANOVA/Sear on the BBQ
- Beef roast
- Italian sausages and grapes
Dehydrator
- beef Jerky
- herbs
- Fruit

Tonight pork. Rib roast on the rotisserie with roasted potatoes.

ANOVA still figuring out what to cook in it but man you want a medium rare beef roast the ANOVA kicks it out of the park.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:53 PM

looking for president made frozen meal ideas for deer camp

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 10-02-2016, 03:57 PM

I made peat and apple pie the other day from our trees in the back yard- turned out awesome!
Pics in about a week when I get back home!
Cat
Old 10-02-2016, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I made peat and apple pie the other day from our trees in the back yard- turned out awesome!
Pics in about a week when I get back home!
Cat
How does peat taste?
Old 10-02-2016, 06:38 PM

I hope he meant pear.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:42 PM

Oh yeah that would be pear
Cat
Old 10-02-2016, 09:48 PM

I'll contribute.
Ćevapi pronounced che-vapi are like small sausages with no casing cooked on a grill. They are of Balkan origin and purists make it with lamb. I make mine with a 50/50 mix of game meat and pork. I have added a few things to my recipie that are not classic ingredients but I will note them as I go with an asterisk *.
2 lbs of ground game meat (moose, deer, elk)
2 lbs of ground pork
1 1/2 diced large yellow onions
6 table spoons salt
4 table spoons pepper
4-6 cloves diced garlic
1/4 cup of diced parsley
* 2 table spoons baking soda (makes them kind of fluffy and not so dense)
* 1 table spoon cayenne pepper (gives them nice flavor and a bit of kick)
* 1/2 can of ginger ale (gives the mix some moisture, sweetness and flavor)
* 3 heaping table spoons of grated ginger (I love the flavor and it's good for you)
* 6 table spoons of vegetable oil (makes them not so sticky on the grill.

Mix all of the ingredients together but try to do it lightly not mashing or compressing it together. If you can leave it for a day to absorb the ingredients it's better but you can use the mix right away too.
Make small sausages rolling the meat in your hands about 1" around and 3-4" long. Try to make them all the same thickness so they cook evenly.
Heat the barbecue up to medium heat and cook for about 15-20 minutes turning frequently until cooked through.
Serve with fresh buns, diced Spanish onion and Ajvar (eggplant and red pepper vegetable spread. Can be found at European deli).

Also if you have too much from the mix, feel free to freeze it after forming the sausages using wax paper to separate.

These are always a hit around my place,
Enjoy
Old 10-23-2016, 06:58 PM

Made a killer cream of potato and broccoli soup this evening.

This one I made from scratch.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:48 PM

4.5 cups of water
1/4 cup kosher salt

let chicken or venison brine for 24-48 hours in fridge and you cannot go wrong. Tenderest juiciest meat you will ever have!
Old 10-23-2016, 08:23 PM

I just finished some deer stew.

The best recipes are simples.

Most of my meats are as said above. Salt and pepper.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:23 PM

I've been doing some experimenting with chicken in the fire. Last weekend I did a bone in skin on breast. Lay out some tin foil then put down a layer of green beans, put some sliced yellow pepper on top of the beans then put your chicken breast on top of the vegis. Cover the chicken in BBQ sauce and then put another layer of beans and peppers on top. Seasoned with a little bit of seasoning salt and wrap up the tin foil. I cooked it on a rock right next to the fire and it took about an hour and a half.

This past weekend I did some leg/thigh quarters. We dug a small hole and found a big flat rock that we could cover the hole with. Put BBQ, Franks Redhot, and Jalapeno Mustard on the chicken along with a tablespoon worth of butter and some seasoned salt. Wrapped this in tin foil and put it in the hole. Covered the hole with our rock and let the fire burn on top of it for two and a half hours. It took about an hour to get hot (as best we could tell in having no thermometer) so about an hour and a half cook time and it was excellent.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck duck goose View Post
I've been doing some experimenting with chicken in the fire. Last weekend I did a bone in skin on breast. Lay out some tin foil then put down a layer of green beans, put some sliced yellow pepper on top of the beans then put your chicken breast on top of the vegis. Cover the chicken in BBQ sauce and then put another layer of beans and peppers on top. Seasoned with a little bit of seasoning salt and wrap up the tin foil. I cooked it on a rock right next to the fire and it took about an hour and a half.

This past weekend I did some leg/thigh quarters. We dug a small hole and found a big flat rock that we could cover the hole with. Put BBQ, Franks Redhot, and Jalapeno Mustard on the chicken along with a tablespoon worth of butter and some seasoned salt. Wrapped this in tin foil and put it in the hole. Covered the hole with our rock and let the fire burn on top of it for two and a half hours. It took about an hour to get hot (as best we could tell in having no thermometer) so about an hour and a half cook time and it was excellent.
I bet you there is a wired thermometer one could use. You really don't want it under cooked and over is a waste also.

Sounds like fun.

I would love to try a luau style pork under sand roast.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:17 PM

Default Banana leaf sticky rice

I want to try this soon

http://casaveneracion.com/steamed-st...banana-leaves/

Yum
Old 10-29-2016, 12:36 PM

Default Found a new soup to try

http://cookieandkate.com/2015/roaste...t-squash-soup/

Roasted butternut squash soup
Old 10-29-2016, 01:19 PM
Banned

Toast and anchovies

Toast bread
Butter toast
Open tin of anchovies
Put on top of toast

Enjoy!
Best served with beer or club soda
Old 10-29-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

You are correct someone is trying to get away from cooking lol.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
clean fillet etc. and cut wally in strips about 50 cm wide and 75 long.

Keep fish out of water, do not rinse, but use paper towels to clean fish. I find the fish will absorb water if rinsed, this will make them soggy and will make cooking harder.

Try and get all pieces about the same size, same thickness etc. so they cook about the same time. Mix commercial Tempura batter as to directions with ice cold water and keep batter ice cold, add Franks, a good amount so batter is deep pinkish. Again keep batter cold!!. Heat Oil in fryer to about 375, dip wally in batter and boil in hot oil til fish turns golden, flip and cook about 1/2 the time on second side.

When we r in Sask. and can legally kill a few wally's we figure about one small wally per biggish person for the noon Big meal. Consider sweet onions, bell peppers and yams in same batter, same temp etc. as vegetables!!!!! That makes the whole thing healthy by having vegetables with the fish!!!
Cut walleye strips 50 cm wide and 75 long ? You my friend must take me walleye fishing if those are strips from your fish. Sounds like a good recipe !