Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2018, 08:53 PM

Default Dog is almost gone

Well, it's finally time.

She's 13, almost deaf, is not eating barely anything anymore, has lost a bunch of weight, sleeps all the time, seems likes she is lost, gets disoriented and her bodily functions are all over.

I think it's pretty obvious what needs to be done even though we don't want to see her gone.

Since it's winter and we can't really bury her, also that I'm not paying someone to cremate her or something I'm not sure what to do after she's gone. Just leave her in the bush? I dunno man...
Old 01-21-2018, 09:02 PM

Ah crappy dude , ya I'd definatley say put out of her misery ..... if you got property guess you could cremate ?? Or what about another big fire to defrost the ground then bury ?

Ya my Scout is nearing 11 years old so not looking forward when he goes coo coo.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:10 PM
Banned

It’s a 150 bux to take your friend to a vet and have it done all peaceful like, a bit more if they come to your house, pretty cheap for 13 years of love and friendship. I just went through this she laid her head in my hand, got the needle and just passed away as i stoked her face, hurts a lot,,,good luck
Old 01-21-2018, 09:21 PM

I feel for you. Tough deciosn. No way to make it easy. You’ll know the right time. For our dog, we chose cremation and made a burial box. It was winter also, with frozen ground, but we deferred the burial in special ground until spring.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:22 PM

If you have some place to bury her, you can definitely dig the hole in the winter. Start a small fire, put a bucket or wheelbarrow over the fire to keep the heat in, dig down as much as has melted and repeat. Towns and cities take a dim view of you burying a pet in your back yard... apparently it will cause the zombie apocalypse or something...

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:27 PM
Banned

Sorry to hear that, must be hard to watch, anyway when I was working on a ranch my boss’s prized blue heeler died we made a brush pile with Whitey in it, it worked well, but it’s gotta to be a pretty good pile.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0id View Post
Since it's winter and we can't really bury her, also that I'm not paying someone to cremate her or something I'm not sure what to do after she's gone. Just leave her in the bush? I dunno man...
Unless you are physically disabled, or trying to dig were the snows been cleared, digging through the frost with a pickaxe is definitely doable. We lost our Great Dane (it was a big hole) and buried her at my parents place. I don't think the frost was more than 4" thick.

It's a hard decision, sorry you have to make it.

I'd also recommend not just leaving her in the bush. I think you'd regret it.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:28 PM

Default Dog

Don’t leave her in the bush! She deserves better that. Sheesh, it’s a crappy situation but for 13 years she’s been there. As a family guy that has a curio cabinet with past members in it, I can say that with 100 percent certainty that you will never be happy just leaving her out after she passes.
Pay the money, or build a fire and bury her, just dont leave her.
Tullfan
Old 01-21-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
If you have some place to bury her, you can definitely dig the hole in the winter. Start a small fire, put a bucket or wheelbarrow over the fire to keep the heat in, dig down as much as has melted and repeat. Towns and cities take a dim view of you burying a pet in your back yard... apparently it will cause the zombie apocalypse or something...

ARG
Minimum three feet deep is ok with Edmonton by laws.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:20 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. I think we've all been there and wouldn't wish having to do what you have to do on anyone.
Our vet cremated our last pet after having her put down for $50 as long as we didn't want her done separately.
We didn't want the ashes so that's what we did.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:25 PM

Feel for you man but we had to put down ole Bear last Feb. and it wasn't pleasant but it was the best for him at 14, a whole $250 for every thing including cremation, hell most people spend that much @ Timmys in a month, do the ole girl a favor and save her from all the pain.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:34 PM

Clear some deep freeze space and put her in a grain bag till the dirt thaws.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:44 PM
Banned

This part of the life cycle really hurts. Our last dog passed, well was put down just 2 days before last Christmas. What we did, and I think we will do from now on is have the vet come to our house to do it. It cost a bit extra, but just the fact that to our dog it was just another day, just another visitor, and peacefully went to sleep in the living room without the stress of dying at the vet clinic was so worth it.

I understand it's expensive for some to pay for, but you'll spend more on a weekend out or night out, and the fact that your friend peacefully went to sleep at home will make the whole process so much easier for both you and your pup, trust me.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:01 AM
Banned

So sorry to hear the bad news. My condolences.

I was thinking along the lines of placing her in a deep freeze until the ground thaws enough to properly bury her but I have an extra freezer for that sort of thing. If you plan on having her euthanized by the Vet, you should dig a deep grave due to the medication that will be inside her and the danger to other animals. That is what our Vet advised me of.

RIP Pup.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
This part of the life cycle really hurts. Our last dog passed, well was put down just 2 days before last Christmas. What we did, and I think we will do from now on is have the vet come to our house to do it. It cost a bit extra, but just the fact that to our dog it was just another day, just another visitor, and peacefully went to sleep in the living room without the stress of dying at the vet clinic was so worth it.

I understand it's expensive for some to pay for, but you'll spend more on a weekend out or night out, and the fact that your friend peacefully went to sleep at home will make the whole process so much easier for both you and your pup, trust me.
I agree 100 percent,i took mine to the vet and had to stay when they put him to sleep,but leaving was the hardest part , I
was sad angry,upset,i even punched a tree leaving the vets and my hand was sore for weeks.This is good way to do it for the whole family and something you will remember forever.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I agree 100 percent,i took mine to the vet and had to stay when they put him to sleep,but leaving was the hardest part , I
was sad angry,upset,i even punched a tree leaving the vets and my hand was sore for weeks.This is good way to do it for the whole family and something you will remember forever.
The dog before that was the worst experience ever, and he was a dog that I was so close with it made it that much worse. He was nine years old and got poisoned, all his organs were literally melting inside. 3 days in the vet clinic on IV and going down so the decision was made to put him to sleep. Just the fact he spent the last three days of his life trapped in a cage in the vet clinic still bothers me today nearly 20 years later.... as a matter of fact it hurts right now.

For the extra little bit of cash it so worth it to have it done at home, I'll never do it any other way if possible.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:41 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Sorry to hear this but after 13 years of devotion and love, lay her to rest peacefully and when it comes to the ashes go for a walk to places she enjoyed and spread them out...in time when you go out for a walk you can see your companion with you and whisper a few words.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-22-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post

I LIKE THIS ,starting to think about our pets
Old 01-22-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I LIKE THIS ,starting to think about our pets
We did this with our beloved lab when the time had come. If at all possible, I would do it like this again every time. 100% peaceful.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:41 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
Don’t leave her in the bush! She deserves better that. Sheesh, it’s a crappy situation but for 13 years she’s been there. As a family guy that has a curio cabinet with past members in it, I can say that with 100 percent certainty that you will never be happy just leaving her out after she passes.
Pay the money, or build a fire and bury her, just dont leave her.
Tullfan
I agree. Do not just leave her out there! I cremated two of my dog friends, and kept their ashes. The Hublet and I had his cow dog cremated but not separately as he did not want the ashes so it was a lot less costly. She joined others fertilizing a farmer's field somewhere. I would have liked to keep them but it was not my call. Our last sweetie dog drowned and by some twist of fate, we found her body and covered it with a big pile of rocks by the creek bank.

Like everyone else here, I feel for you and your family. It never gets easier. But remember she was with you for thirteen years, and deserves the best you can do till the end. At least you will be able to say goodbye.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 01-22-2018, 08:43 AM

Last pet we called in Vets to Go.

Did an assessment to identify the animals condition and prognosis. Took some paw print casts and put him down on our request.

They were kind and respectful.

I wrapped him in a blanket with some favorite toys and placed in the freezer until I could build a box and dig a hole by our front window hidden from the street by a tall cedar.

Up until this point all of my animals were dispatched by my hand with a lead pill and placed in the mountains under rock cairns.

Last edited by omega50; 01-22-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:07 AM

Crappy to hear the time is coming OP, if you own a pet, it's inevitable. Imo, it's not that expensive for cremation and a cardboard box, your pet deserves this more than a dump in the bush and be eaten by birds and yotes.

We took my old girl GSP(16) to the vet and we all held her as she went to sleep. Then I carried her out and we took her home for one more night. She was put in the garage(like the 2 previous Gsp's) on her favorite bed and covered with her blanket and a couple milk bones

For that evening, we all could go have our time with her. Next am, I took her back to the vet to be cremated. She sits with the other 2 shorthairs in a cabinet in the house. Their collars hang with their pics.

When my second last GSP was put down, the vet gave us a paw print in clay. They did it after death so not a good imprint. We knew the day was coming for the one above so we went and bought Oven baked modelling clay from a craft store. We each picked a color and with a live pet, we had her step into the clay patty. If you didn't like it, you re worked it and did it again. Once we were happy with the prints, we scribed in her name and the year and baked them solid. Its a nice memento for us.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:10 PM

I agree with the gentle good bye! But personally I’d love to be left in the bush to feed the other animals!

Where we come from is where we go.

Sorry about your loss OP.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
It’s a 150 bux to take your friend to a vet and have it done all peaceful like, a bit more if they come to your house, pretty cheap for 13 years of love and friendship. I just went through this she laid her head in my hand, got the needle and just passed away as i stoked her face, hurts a lot,,,good luck
Just went through this as well.
Hard as hell.

Please don't throw your friend in a brushpile.
Sorry to hear, but be there until the end, and make it as comfortable as possible.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:20 PM

Sorry to hear about your dog, a loss like that will be heart rendering. I had always thought I would would bury my dogs in their favorite pheasant patch with the landowners blessing. Never entered my mind that it might happen in the dead of winter. Thanks for posting, it gives me something to think about.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-22-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0id View Post
I'm not sure what to do after she's gone. Just leave her in the bush? I dunno man...
You get no sympathy from me .You have had this dog for 13 years and don't think anymore of it than that you should consider this dog as your last one .
Old 01-22-2018, 06:05 PM

I put my dog of 18 years down just before Xmas, the trip to the vet cost $150 for the needle and cremation that's less than $10 a year for my best friend, I'd do the same again even if it cost twice as much.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I put my dog of 18 years down just before Xmas, the trip to the vet cost $150 for the needle and cremation that's less than $10 a year for my best friend, I'd do the same again even if it cost twice as much.
Mine was put down Dec. 19 ,2017 vet bill $145 cremation $319 plus tax I figured I owed it to him for being a loyal friend and part of the family for 13 years .
Old 01-22-2018, 09:16 PM

I had the vet come to the house on my second Brittany. Very calming for Mickey and then I had I believe a Company called Paws to go come and pick him up. Had him creamated. A little more $ than usual but well worth the $ .
Old 01-22-2018, 09:44 PM
Banned

I am sure that you are out of sorts with the impending loss of your dog but leaving her in the bush for the coyotes to tear apart is about the most disrespectful thing I think one could do with a dog that's been part of your family for 13 years.