Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2018, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
This part of the life cycle really hurts. Our last dog passed, well was put down just 2 days before last Christmas. What we did, and I think we will do from now on is have the vet come to our house to do it. It cost a bit extra, but just the fact that to our dog it was just another day, just another visitor, and peacefully went to sleep in the living room without the stress of dying at the vet clinic was so worth it.

I understand it's expensive for some to pay for, but you'll spend more on a weekend out or night out, and the fact that your friend peacefully went to sleep at home will make the whole process so much easier for both you and your pup, trust me.
^^This. Had to use Vetstogo twice this summer. It was heart breaking putting my two dogs down . The only saving grace was that they spent the last hours of their lives at home in the yard surrounded by loving family members. I hope most people never have to put their dogs down for many many years to come but if you do, I really recommend having a vet come and do it at your home.

Also don't leave a dogs remains in the bush for the scavengers to find. They devote their lives to us and deserve some dignity and respect at the end of their time with us.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 01-23-2018, 06:45 AM

Had some one leave their dead pet dog hidden in my hay yard , inside a plastic bag. Animals don't decompose quickly in a garbage bag. . Accidentally found it with my disc bine hay mower . Unbelievable stench as it sprayed out bits of plastic and fido every where. I thought that owner didn't show the dog much respect.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
^^This. Had to use Vetstogo twice this summer. It was heart breaking putting my two dogs down . The only saving grace was that they spent the last hours of their lives at home in the yard surrounded by loving family members. I hope most people never have to put their dogs down for many many years to come but if you do, I really recommend having a vet come and do it at your home.

Also don't leave a dogs remains in the bush for the scavengers to find. They devote their lives to us and deserve some dignity and respect at the end of their time with us.
We just had Vets to Go come to our house for an assessment and treatment plan. Maddie's time is running out fast and we will be having the vet come to our house to do it.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmeNoah View Post
We just had Vets to Go come to our house for an assessment and treatment plan. Maddie's time is running out fast and we will be having the vet come to our house to do it.
Worth every penny.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 01-23-2018, 06:06 PM

Default Dog passing

I know I've said my piece, I am still having such a hard time with someone coming on the forum and asking what to do with their dog who has been part of their family for 13 years.I get the who should I call, do you guys and gals use someone or recomend some one questions, very commendable. But to come out and ask if he should just leave her in the bush because I'm not sure what to do? WTF, use some common sense before you post. Sometimes it's better not to say anything. Most likely probably better not saying this but I don't care!

Tullfan
Old 01-23-2018, 06:20 PM
Banned

Reality check:

If you asked a dog where to leave a dead dog what do you think it would answer?
Old 01-25-2018, 05:03 PM

Today was the day. Took her for a drive, visited the lake and went for a walk in a field. Took the 22 to the back of the head. It was quick and painless. She's now in the flower bed that she used to walk through and anger me!

Got the guys at work to burn a tombstone out of metal with her name in it. Collar is beside it and she's retesting now. Haven't cried that much in years. I kept telling her I was sorry on the way home after she had passed.

Thanks to all the help and positive words. It helped.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0id View Post
Today was the day. Took her for a drive, visited the lake and went for a walk in a field. Took the 22 to the back of the head. It was quick and painless. She's now in the flower bed that she used to walk through and anger me!

Got the guys at work to burn a tombstone out of metal with her name in it. Collar is beside it and she's retesting now. Haven't cried that much in years. I kept telling her I was sorry on the way home after she had passed.

You have bigger cojones than me my friend. I could never pull the trigger. Thats a tough one. You dont know how attached you were to the pup until its gone. My last one ruined me for good part of a year after she passed away. She rests in a urn in the living room now.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:

I'm sorry to hear about your loss of a good friend. Crying over the loss is OK. I've done it many times myself. I hope that your heart heals with time.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
Reality check:

If you asked a dog where to leave a dead dog what do you think it would answer?
It has nothing to do with the dog....
Old 01-25-2018, 06:45 PM

Tough day. Well done
Old 01-25-2018, 06:56 PM

Sorry to hear that.
For the guys that are coming up on this sort of sad time, my dad owns a pet crematory near Edmonton. PM me if you like and I'll give details. In a nut shell, if you bring the animal to the crematorium and don't want the cremains back it's not much money at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 01-25-2018, 08:17 PM

Rest easy pup!!
"I am fascinated by the wild, rough country sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes." - JOC
Old 01-25-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your loss of a good friend. Crying over the loss is OK. I've done it many times myself. I hope that your heart heals with time.
x3
Old 01-26-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailsheds View Post
Rest easy pup!!
X2 and take care pups owner. They sure grow on ya.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Well, it's finally time.

She's 13, almost deaf, is not eating barely anything anymore, has lost a bunch of weight, sleeps all the time, seems likes she is lost, gets disoriented and her bodily functions are all over.

I think it's pretty obvious what needs to be done even though we don't want to see her gone.

Since it's winter and we can't really bury her, also that I'm not paying someone to cremate her or something I'm not sure what to do after she's gone. Just leave her in the bush? I dunno man...
Man that sucks, as a dog person, I've been there. My heart goes out to you.

I don'y know how much space you have, but if I were in your position, I would do a Norse style funeral pyre. Invite friends and family, people whose lives she touched, and just enjoy some good food, drink, and share some stories, some laughs, and maybe a few tears.

Best of luck mate.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:35 AM

Sorry for your loss. I've been dealing with the loss of my two dogs this summer and it isn't easy.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:44 AM

tough decision, take to vet if you can afford it.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:41 PM

Very sorry to hear about what you had to do but admire you for being able to do it.
Nothing to be ashamed about crying for losing a friend. Anyone who's ever had to let a pet go understands.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:26 PM

Sorry for your loss, but it sounds like it was a better way for your dog to go than on a cold steel table at the vet. I wouldn't have the stones to do what you did, I'm glad it went quickly for you and your dog.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:45 PM

They are tough to lose. We lost our dog at the end of October. I still cry every day. Ours had an accident in the house and passed while we were away. He was 14 years old and still had a lot of life in him. They are true family members that love you no matter what is going on. Sorry for your loss.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:46 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Sorry to read about your loss, cry, it's good for you, they are special for sure.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-28-2018, 03:58 PM

The screen is blurry for some reason.

I echo the same sentiments posted previously. Take care.